PS3 Slim Redesign - Real - $299

Sony should at least try to match Microsoft's console prices. $299.99 PS3s should compete with $299.99 360s.

Sony may try to differentiate themselves from being "direct competitors", but that'll never stop the comparisons or justify PS3 having a higher price, particularly for the average consumers.

If it means taking out the Blu Ray feature and/or not including a video game to bring the price down to $299, I'm all for it. I get the difference between VHS and DVD, but I don't see Blu-Ray as a necessity. I play video game consoles for video games so the add-ons don't really matter to me. Just make it happen, Sony.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Solely my own opinion? Why were the Wii and 360 outselling the PS3? It's because the PS3 was more expensive than it's competitors and mommy and daddy who buy junior a new game system don't wanna pay $400 or more for a console.

Some people just want a game system to, you know, play GAMES on. They don't care about all of the bells & whistles.

As for me, I rarely buy movies to watch at home as it is and the few I may still buy will be on DVD for $5-10 with $10 being the MAX I'll pay for a movie. Until Blu-Ray is down to $5-10 a movie, they can shove it up their ass.[/QUOTE]

The Wii started out at $249, and I'm sure Nintendo could have sold it for $300+ based on the hype and demand for the system. Are you forgetting that the 360 started out at $399 for the Premium? Yes, price was the deciding factor for many in not purchasing a PS3 but to say that $200 is the ideal price point is a bit much considering the Wii is still $249 and the 360's arcade didn't come down to $199 until after at least 20 million units were sold...

But yes, as the price comes down more people will buy but $200 is a bit unrealistic considering how many units are out there already.

[quote name='Cage017']If it means taking out the Blu Ray feature and/or not including a video game to bring the price down to $299, I'm all for it. I get the difference between VHS and DVD, but I don't see Blu-Ray as a necessity. I play video game consoles for video games so the add-ons don't really matter to me. Just make it happen, Sony.[/QUOTE]

Your sentiments are in teh right place, but taking out Blu-Ray means that you can't actually play any PS3 games. Unless of course Sony decides to go multi-DVD like the 360 but then again you remove one of the system's major selling points.

[quote name='Cage017']If it means taking out the Blu Ray feature and/or not including a video game to bring the price down to $299, I'm all for it. I get the difference between VHS and DVD, but I don't see Blu-Ray as a necessity. I play video game consoles for video games so the add-ons don't really matter to me. Just make it happen, Sony.[/QUOTE]

That's fucking retarded. If you remove Blu-ray you are removing the ability to play PlayStation 3 games...

I am starting to have a bad feeling about the Slim being $299

Older inferior product $299
New better product $299

No...

never has Sony released a newer slimmer product for less than the current SKU.

they really need to move consoles like Turkeys on Thanksgiving however $399 will not do that even if it is Slim.

Yeah I don't think it'll be 299 of the bat, but I'm guessing once they clear out the old 80/160s out then they'll drop it to 299. Probably around thanksgiving!

[quote name='SynGamer']The Wii started out at $249, and I'm sure Nintendo could have sold it for $300+ based on the hype and demand for the system. Are you forgetting that the 360 started out at $399 for the Premium? Yes, price was the deciding factor for many in not purchasing a PS3 but to say that $200 is the ideal price point is a bit much considering the Wii is still $249 and the 360's arcade didn't come down to $199 until after at least 20 million units were sold...

But yes, as the price comes down more people will buy but $200 is a bit unrealistic considering how many units are out there already.[/QUOTE]

I did misspeak there, but my main point was that even at their initial release, every console on the market was cheaper than the PS3. Even for the 'cheaper' 20 gb PS3, the 360 was beating it by $100 in price.

Of course, you could use the 'but zomg you have to pay for a wifi adapter and Live and all the other extras that're included in the PS3' as a retort, but again it comes down to people who JUST want to play games and don't care one iota about the extras.

There are some people who play offline, who don't care about watching movies on their system, streaming files from their PC or wherever or whatever other things you can do with the PS3.

As for $200 being unrealistic, as costs to manufacture them go down, they WILL lower the price. It's inevitable. Will it happen overnight? No. But will it happen? Yes.

If it doesn't and the 'cheapest' PS3 stays at $399 while the Wii and 360 enjoy future price cuts, then Sony is gonna be stuck perpetually in third place.

All of that is, of course, MY opinion and it may or may not happen. But to say that $200 is an unrealistic price for the PS3 to drop to is ludicrous.

Blu-Ray being required to play PS3 games? Wow. In that case, I would gladly take the system bare bones for $300 (AKA 50% more than I paid for my PS2). I would admit that the package with MGS4 and Killzone 2 would have me buying the system if I spent more time with Killzone and thought it was worth $50 ($300 system + $50 per game [AKA the most I have spent on one video game] is how I would figure it).

With that in mind, are more rumors saying the $299 slim will come with a game/DVD or end up being sold as console only?

I wonder if I should just save my cash $350 in hand now, Put it in the bank. And wait for the God of War 3 Slim BUNDLE, which will cause a nationwide shutdown of awesomeness.

the main games I look forward to on the PS3 are.

-Uncharted 2
-God of War 3 (and hopefully more sequels)
-RAGE (sucks its not exclusive)
-BIOSHOCK 2 (again Not exclusive)
- a new Metal Gear Solid game

So why spend now, when none of these games are even close to coming out.

When I look at the 360 I see.

- Left 4 Dead 2
- GTA Liberty City Stories

I love how people are acting like this upcoming slim is the official debut of the PS3. I almost bought a 360 last year during Black Friday but I'm glad I waited for this upcoming release (If Microsoft wants my money, Xbox 360 needs to be $149 at most).

BTW, what do you guys make of the PS3 FYE is selling for $300? Do you think they'll start advertising in a flyer before the other retailers will?

[quote name='Master Ninja']I wonder if I should just save my cash $350 in hand now, Put it in the bank. And wait for the God of War 3 Slim BUNDLE, which will cause a nationwide shutdown of awesomeness.

the main games I look forward to on the PS3 are.

-Uncharted 2
-God of War 3 (and hopefully more sequels)
-RAGE (sucks its not exclusive)
-BIOSHOCK 2 (again Not exclusive)
- a new Metal Gear Solid game

So why spend now, when none of these games are even close to coming out.

When I look at the 360 I see.

- Left 4 Dead 2
- GTA Liberty City Stories[/QUOTE]

That's an obvious mistake but I have no idea how you would even make it, a psp game?

[quote name='Cage017']I love how people are acting like this upcoming slim is the official debut of the PS3. I almost bought a 360 last year during Black Friday but I'm glad I waited for this upcoming release (If Microsoft wants my money, Xbox 360 needs to be $149 at most).

BTW, what do you guys make of the PS3 FYE is selling for $300? Do you think they'll start advertising in a flyer before the other retailers will?[/QUOTE]

$149? Unless you want an Arcade unit, see you in 1.5 ~ 2 years.

[quote name='gunm']So can we now assume the final verdict: Chinese Factory Pics Real? lol.[/QUOTE]

Let's salute hour heroes and hope they still have their jobs!

I'm glad it's official. I have the fat system and thinking about getting the slim. Saw the amazon pictures and didn't really see where you could upgrade HDD, and also anyone concerned about it overheating curious about the fan size.

Still no USB ports on the rear. That's just an idiotic omission, IMO. I hate shit dangling in front of my unit. Mic cord, guitar and drum Dongles, Eye camera, Light gun. Too much shit, too little holes to put them in.

[quote name='neocisco']I wonder if this validates the BB ad that had the $10 games? Here's hopin'. What were the games anyway?[/QUOTE]

Pretty unlikely since that ad had those GAF mockups that were fake.

[quote name='bmulligan']Still no USB ports on the rear. That's just an idiotic omission, IMO. I hate shit dangling in front of my unit. Mic cord, guitar and drum Dongles, Eye camera, Light gun. Too much shit, too little holes to put them in.[/QUOTE]

Im with u, i dont understand why isit so hard to add some ports in the back, a friggin 4 usb port card for thepc costs around 10 bucks.

[quote name='KingBroly']360 Elite: $320 after taxes + Game + HDMI or Component Cables + Wireless Adapter = Well over $500[/QUOTE]

Amazon + Monoprice + Gamestop = How high are you?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']$149? Unless you want an Arcade unit, see you in 1.5 ~ 2 years.[/QUOTE]

If they can fix the RROD and any other hardware issues by then, I have no problem waiting.

Of course the PS3 Slim makes the wait even easier. Thanks for the new price, Sony.

Does the PS3 Slim still only include component cables in the box?

I'm not tryin' to get back into this 2006 "giant enemy crabs lol"/"paying for online lol" dick-waving prickfight.

But I saw that the new 360 Elite wasn't coming with component cables or HDMI, and I remember the PS3 only came with component as well. This far into the HD age, it would be pretty ridiculous for both systems to do consumers like that.

[quote name='Master Ninja']$299 is still too much

$320 after taxes + Game + HDMI cable = easily $400 not to mention + Bluetooth Mic.[/QUOTE]

GTFO troll

[quote name='mykevermin']Does the PS3 Slim still only include component cables in the box?

I'm not tryin' to get back into this 2006 "giant enemy crabs lol"/"paying for online lol" dick-waving prickfight.

But I saw that the new 360 Elite wasn't coming with component cables or HDMI, and I remember the PS3 only came with component as well. This far into the HD age, it would be pretty ridiculous for both systems to do consumers like that.[/QUOTE]

PS3 Slim only has Composite cables in the box. They should at least give you a coupon for a discounted HDMI cord or a "ship your money order to this address" or something. BUT, for those that do know anything - just go to monoprice.

[quote name='Trakan']Amazon + Monoprice + Gamestop = How high are you?[/QUOTE]

Average consumer isn't smart enough for all of that. The PS3 is lower startup, though people just see the lower price and are oblivious to the bending over they will do when they decide to get the "real" system.

[quote name='mykevermin']Does the PS3 Slim still only include component cables in the box?

But I saw that the new 360 Elite wasn't coming with component cables or HDMI, and I remember the PS3 only came with component as well. This far into the HD age, it would be pretty ridiculous for both systems to do consumers like that.[/QUOTE]

Composite.

[quote name='Paco']Average consumer isn't smart enough for all of that. The PS3 is lower startup, though people just see the lower price and are oblivious to the bending over they will do when they decide to get the "real" system.[/QUOTE]

Who cares about those retards?

[quote name='zewone']Composite.

Who cares about those retards?[/QUOTE]

Clearly Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Also, PS3 Slim doesn't have a Power Brick unless Sony's embargoed all pictures on a PS3 Slim Power Brick.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']PS3 Slim only has Composite cables in the box. They should at least give you a coupon for a discounted HDMI cord or a "ship your money order to this address" or something. BUT, for those that do know anything - just go to monoprice.[/QUOTE]

Or just buy one from Kmart, since they had those HDMI/USB packs for $8 a month or two ago.

[quote name='zewone']
Who cares about those retards?[/QUOTE]

Well, not everybody has an HDtv yet, so why should they cater to those who have them?

I came in here to say that everybody can finally put the to rest the notion that the PS3 is waaaaay overpriced and out of reach. Haha, funny the first post i read claims that it is still too way overpriced. Ridiculous.

People blasting the new slim PS3 for its looks...well, that's really just a personal preference. I think it looks fine, and predictable given how the PS2 fat to PS2 slim transitioned. Granted in this case, I actually prefer the looks of the fat PS3 over the slim, the criticism of the slim is a bit ridiculous and comments regarding its new price is just an instance of blatant fanboy-ism.

At 299, this thing is one of the top performing blu-ray players on the market, has wi-fi built in (no need to pay for any adapters to connect, ahem, unlike another competitor), has an upgradable HD where you can use as a HT station to stream your media, and plays playstation 3 games, of course. And although a long shot, with news of Sony patenting some tweaks to the cell processor to render PS2 games, there is a small chance that all PS3 will have at least the software ability to play some PS2 games, as well.

Factor all that geek junk in a package under 300 bucks is quite a value imho, considering a respectable, high performing, HT quality blu-ray player alone costs at least 200 plus atm, not factoring in special promos/clearance deals (note respectable, not 100 usd BD players that will crap out in a year)... I mean come on. The playstation 3 definitely still has its warts (tweaked/improved interface, better PSN improvements, etc...), but to say that it is outrageously overpriced at 299 is just so.... "ray-tard".

Can ya wipe your nose a bit, Munky. You have a lil something brown on it.

I mean, you've covered every fanboy base in that epicly long post. You took a shot at people critiquing the price, a shot at the 360, a shot at 'cheapo' Blu-Ray players(just because something is cheap DOESN'T mean it's gonna crap out in 6 months) and well....have I missed anything?

You call people who critique the price 'fanboys', but maybe they're just frugal consumers and don't want the PS3 for much other than playing games. So why should they pay for the extras, when they won't use them?

If anything is ridiculous in this thread(and the many other ones regarding this long overdue price drop), it's all of the people rushing to defend Sony. People won't be happy until the item they may want(in this case the PS3) is at the price THEY are willing to pay and their arguments won't be quelled until it is.

I still don't get why some take people critiquing the price as a personal affront, when they have no personal stake in the busness aside from owning a PS3. Unless you're receiving $$$ from Sony, WHY DO YOU CARE?!?!

I'm just shocked that the PS3 has dropped to half of launch price in 3 years AND they've come out with a slim, when it took 4 or so years for the PS2 slim to come out.

Now if only they could do something about the lack of BC.....:razz:

I never really planned to purchase a PS3 since nothing but MGS4 really peaked my interest, but with the new slim PS3 and the $300 price, I changed my mind. Also I had the $75 coupon waiting for the PS3 price drop and close to $200 of Amazon credit. Just put my pre-order down for $27 out the pocket.

I'm a big 360 guy myself, I love XBL and all the 360 brings. But Sony does have some exclusives that I will not see on the 360 and the Blu-ray player is the biggest plus. The PS3 also streams some formats that the 360 can't handle(.mkvs I"m looking at you). I could care less about backwards compatibility, but if they could add it in a future update I won't complain.

I can't wait to unbox this thing, now to find a cheap MGS4.

Is it just me or is the fucking thing deeper from front to back.

Still won't buy one.

[quote name='Cage017']With that in mind, are more rumors saying the $299 slim will come with a game/DVD or end up being sold as console only?[/QUOTE]
The initial $299 configuration doesn't have any pack-in games.

[quote name='Master Ninja']Put it in the bank. And wait for the God of War 3 Slim BUNDLE, which will cause a nationwide shutdown of awesomeness.[/quote]
You're right, that will shut down any semblance of awesomeness, because God of War is a stupid piece of shit.

[quote name='Cheapass24']GTFO troll[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

i know i STILL will never get an x360. i can't deal with that piece of shit.

i've already got a slim preordered on amazon.

[quote name='crewj']i've already got a slim preordered on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Honest question: why would anyone who already has a PS3 buy one of these?

bread's done
Back