PS3 to $299 rumor? (OP Updated: SD links)

Hopefully, a drop happens while some local stores still have 60 GB. Really wanting to pick one up, but not at the current price.

[quote name='mykevermin']One game? Moreover, the install will give the PS3 version absolutely zero load times, so that is a benefit of the system's technology on the whole.[/quote]
I wouldn't count on that. Heavenly Sword takes 15 minutes to install, consumes 2.5GB of disk space, and still has load times. Will doubling the disk installation package improve that? Maybe, maybe not.

[quote name='Drnick']right now there arn't a whole lot of PS3's in people houses (around 4 mil or so, last time I checked) 360's and Wii's are around the 14 mil region.... (big difference)[/quote]

I know VG Chartz isn't all that accurate but they have the PS3 at 9mil, and I remember Sony themselves saying that as of the end of 07 they sold over 8 mil. Just saying.

Considering how anemic sales were for alleged system sellers (lair, r&c etc) they got to do something to prevent further 3rd party development from abandoning ship. R&C was supposedly a great game, that wasn't a brand new IP and still sold horrible. It would have to be hard to justify to Insomniac to continue to solely support ps3 with such horrible sales on a good/great game. While I would think that a price drop would wait untill the launch of MGS 4 and/or GTA, maybe they are getting a lot of pressure for 3rd party companies. The NPD's are out yet and if a solid sony franchise like ratchet sold so poorly, then maybe a lot of multiplatform games didn't do so hot either.

Granted, none of these are smoking guns, but that's why I originally came here to ask about this.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9643582&postcount=63
This January 28th $100 price drop is just SD chatter.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9641010&postcount=8
i dont have the details BUT people should try to sign up for this and then buy a PS3 when they drop to 299! on or around january 28!
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9641083&postcount=13
The price drop is a rumor, albeit a very widespread rumor.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9641634&postcount=25
Rumors do come true...especially this one since I got a good source in the entertainment business hearing about this.
$299 for PS3 soon.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9558506&postcount=7
i heard rumors that 299 will be the new price of 40gb models.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9578520&postcount=162
Not trying to spread rumors, but I do have a few friends in the audio entertainment business that is attending CES this week and they too heard that PS3s will be dropping in price. Supposively, Sony is going to announce that this week.(that was Jan.4)
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=9641869&postcount=30
I, too, have heard the Jan. 28th date as a possibilty for a $100 price drop...

2 of those quotes were from the same person. I'm tired of searching for more, so be that as it may.

jan 28th! wow.. that would be perfect... get the price low NOW.. so that people can use their income tax to buy a ps3. Plus if you have a blu ray player at 300, then you can have a PS3 at 300... especially since inow the 40gb version is basically a blu ray player w/ a hard drive.. [no more ps2 parts to worry about] that would take Nintendo by surprise.. and we know their greedy asses aren't ready to price drop Wii! lol

I will be both pissed and happy for those to get it. I just got my 40gb on 12/17/07 and will be missing the 30 day window by 9 fuckn' days. That extra $100 would be nice to have actually.

1.) Insomniac did very well with R:FoM.

2.) In North America we greatly overestimate our importance. PS3 is sucking lagg in NA, but is steadily outpacing Xbox in Japan, and Europe. I would like to see. Developers don't care if where their games sell, as long as they sell.

3.) People also forget that the PS3 came out a year after the 360. So when claiming number of games, etc, it may never have the same number of games, but always 1 year behind.

4.) The large installs are kind of a cheat IMHO. Look at R&C. You rarely if ever notice the game loading. They manage to intersperse short cutscenes etc, so that the loading is done in the Background. Heavenly sword totally could have done this too. I think top tier developers will stop using this technique and do more streaming like insomniac does.

~S

If it did happen, I could see it being for the purpose of pushing Blu-ray. Now...who just told me yesterday that prices wouldn't be dropping when it comes to Blu-ray? :p

[quote name='snowsquirrel']1.) Insomniac did very well with R:FoM.

2.) In North America we greatly overestimate our importance. PS3 is sucking lagg in NA, but is steadily outpacing Xbox in Japan, and Europe. I would like to see. Developers don't care if where their games sell, as long as they sell.

3.) People also forget that the PS3 came out a year after the 360. So when claiming number of games, etc, it may never have the same number of games, but always 1 year behind.

4.) The large installs are kind of a cheat IMHO. Look at R&C. You rarely if ever notice the game loading. They manage to intersperse short cutscenes etc, so that the loading is done in the Background. Heavenly sword totally could have done this too. I think top tier developers will stop using this technique and do more streaming like insomniac does.

~S[/quote]

1. yes they did well, that doesn't change the fact that r&c sales were fucking horrible. I highly doubt they are anywhere near break even on that game yet.

2. yes the ps3 is outselling the 360 in europe and japan, but that doesn't change the fact that the attached rate of games for the ps3 is far below that of the 360 and that NA is currently the biggest market...

3. Yes it did come out a year later, but that was sony's fault for not being ready...and a developer doesn't care how many years it has been on the market, it looks at how well there previous games have sold on said system...if the ps3 isn't moving games anywhere near as close as the 360 is they why would a 3rd party waste time and resources to port a game.

the ps3 needs to move more games for 3rd parties...since the attach rates aren't as high as the 360 then they really need to get more systems out there to at least get total games sales higher. Offering a really good blu ray player, a gaming system with the playstation name at $299 would have to move systems at a better rate then they are currently going.

This is very interesting if it does drop. I wonder if SonyStyle would refund money if it was purchased now (my brother is going to order one soon for the Blu-Ray player...and the $100 credit via the Sony Card).

360 had a dearth of game for the first 9 months too. Definitely better than the PS3s, but nowhere near as good as people think they remember.

Ulitmately, you are right about R&C. That one still baffles me, for how good of a game it is. It also struck me as a Christmas seller... I was just saying they are not hurting for cash. I do think that it is the kind of title that will have a long selling period, but yeah, it is ultimately a commercial failure.

Obviously a large part of attach rate is the length of time a system has been out. The longer you own a game, the more game you will purchase. A better metric would be the amount of full-price copies a title sells/per install base. There are way more 360 games in the $20 bins that any other console right now. This mainly because the a more mature library is going to have more discounted games. Being a CAG, I know that I am way more likley to buy a $20 game than a $60 game. I really think that the attach rate of the PS3 will settle around the same place as the 360. The wii is another story altogether, but I don't consider it in the same category as the other two.

As for 3rd parties, that is really just coming now. AC, and COD4. But they do need more 3rd party support.

As an aside, I think the term 'piggy-back' works fine for how Sony got blu-ray into peoples homes. I really don't think is was as subtle as a Trojan Horse.

~S

[quote name='seanr1221']If it did happen, I could see it being for the purpose of pushing Blu-ray. Now...who just told me yesterday that prices wouldn't be dropping when it comes to Blu-ray? :p[/quote]

If you were talking about me in the format war forum I have a response.
Since you were talking about HDM BOGO's it seemed to me your were referring to movie/software prices:

[quote name='seanr1221']:cry: Hopefully someday. :cry:

So why does everyone always say we won't get nearly as many HDM sales such as BOGO?

I think once Blu becomes dominant, we'll get MORE sales and cheaper prices to win over consumers.[/quote]

And again, I think the BOGO's and sub $14.99 titles will be much fewer and further between when the bodies are cleaned away from the HD format war.

Also, the ripping to the PSP is nice . . . great for Sony: (not for me- it being the only hand-held/console from the current gen that I don't own or had planned to) who here thinks we will see the BR group support ripping BD to other players like iPods or Zunes any time soon?

I wish I had come out for HD DVD earlier, not that it would have made a bit of difference. Perhaps even in owning a PS3 I was working against my own interest in the format war.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Also, the ripping to the PSP is nice . . . great for Sony: (not for me- it being the only hand-held/console from the current gen that I don't own or had planned to) who here thinks we will see the BR group support ripping BD to other players like iPods or Zunes any time soon?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you're going to see many (or any) studios outside of Sony support this feature, so it's never going to be widespread enough to be concerned about getting a version on your portable media player. Which bothers me, since I don't use my PSP for media, I use my iPod. Watching classic horror movies from archive.org at the gym FTMFW!

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't think you're going to see many (or any) studios outside of Sony support this feature, so it's never going to be widespread enough to be concerned about getting a version on your portable media player. Which bothers me, since I don't use my PSP for media, I use my iPod. Watching classic horror movies from archive.org at the gym FTMFW![/quote]

True, the DMCA implications alone could be devistating to the facilitator. I think alot of people thought they could rip any BD movie onto a memorystick for their PSP from the press coverage surrounding the recent news. If fair-use weren't a dirty word to the RIAA and the MPAA ripping nextgen video, downverting for portable devices might have been commonplace. However, the consumer is screwed today both by our monolithic corporations and by our congressional representatives in regards to our fair-use of purchased intellectual properties. (Gah, I sound more like a leftist than a libertarian there). As consumers we must also bare some blame in our choices; I think if BetaMax were to have come along in todays market it would kill VHS, functionality and standards be damned.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I know VG Chartz isn't all that accurate but they have the PS3 at 9mil, and I remember Sony themselves saying that as of the end of 07 they sold over 8 mil. Just saying.[/quote]

According to VG Chartz, the PS3 is just over 3.5m in the US, and just over 9m worldwide. That compares to 10.5m US and 16.5m worldwide for the 360. Drnick appears to have been counting worldwide sales for the 360, but US sales for the PS3.

[quote name='ryanbph']I thought msft said something along the lines of 17.7 millions units by the end of 07....[/QUOTE]

Yeah they like to use the highest number... thats probably sold to Retailers.

[quote name='Snake2715']Yeah they like to use the highest number... thats probably sold to Retailers.[/quote]

Yup, all three console makers report sold to retail. VG Chartz tries to report consoles sold to consumers, but who knows how good their numbers are.

[quote name='elwood731']They just announced a new bundle for Europe (I think it was UK, specifically) that included a choice of two titles from six or so. Those titles included Uncharted, Ratchet, Singstar, and some others. They could always drop the price to $350 and pack-in Motorstorm and Resistance (especially with both getting sequels this year or early next).[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why I think we'll get one. Maybe one for MGS and I bet there'll one for Little Big Planet.

And FWIW, I like the large installs for no other reason than it's less wear and tear on the drive itself

[quote name='nativetongue88']i cant see this happening a month after christmas.[/quote]
what, they wouldn't want to make more money during a heay-sales period? and then wouldn't want to spur sales in a typically (historically) stagnant period? Especially in light of their drastic cost-cutting in manufacturing the console.

Considering Sony finally dropped the price of production costs down to $400...there will be no price drop. It costs Sony, when it launched, $800 to produce the PS3. Unless Sony can drop production costs down to $200-300 and be able to make a profit, there will be no price drops.

[quote name='iazybandit']Considering Sony finally dropped the price of production costs down to $400...there will be no price drop. It costs Sony, when it launched, $800 to produce the PS3. Unless Sony can drop production costs down to $200-300 and be able to make a profit, there will be no price drops.[/QUOTE]
You do realize that generally hardware manufacturers lose money on console sales well into their lives, right? The Wii is an exception as it, according to most estimates, launched making a small profit on hardware. If Sony hopes to keep customers buying software they'll have to continue taking a loss on hardware for a while.

do the math.. if the 40 gig @ 399.99 cut their costs in half..then it's quite possible that 100 price drop won't effect their profit margin that much, mostly because more people would buy a ps3 at that price point..

I honestly don't see this happening, would be nice though. The Xbox 360 Elite is 120gig but doesn't have HD-DVD player and it still sells very well, at $450. Even the Xbox 360 Premium that has a 20gig hard drive is $350 and sells good. A 40gig PS3 with a BR player is a deal at $400. This is not counting games against either system, just the specs.

[quote name='chex20']I honestly don't see this happening, would be nice though. The Xbox 360 Elite is 120gig but doesn't have HD-DVD player and it still sells very well, at $450. Even the Xbox 360 Premium that has a 20gig hard drive is $350 and sells good. A 40gig PS3 with a BR player is a deal at $400. This is not counting games against either system, just the specs.[/quote]

the 100 dollar difference is the difference between me buying a ps3 and not...

Agreed. A 40GB PS3 for $299 and I'll glady buy a PS3 over a 360. So guess I'll wait until January 28th to make up my mind on which system I'll be getting.
[quote name='DJSteel']the 100 dollar difference is the difference between me buying a ps3 and not...[/quote]

This would make buying a new 60gb alot nicer if this happened very soon.

:crosses fingers:

i really wish i had a ps3...500 bones + tax is alot still.

I'd get my third PS3 if this is the case (nothing is wrong with the other two, I just have them in seprate rooms and use one as a blu-ray player in another).

Overall, Sony has done a good job price dropping the PS3. Or rather getting a cheaper version out on the market. 2008 is a criticle year for Sony, they can't afford to hold off on price drops - especially on a system that's not selling well. Konami and Squaresoft aren't going to support Sony to the degree that they have as of 2008, in 2009 if sony doesn't sell consoles. I know that everyone wants to make a profit, but when you're sales are slow you have to cut the prices... that's basic economics. Isn't Sony selling off their chip factory to Toshiba, I know it was a rumor, but I think it turned to be true.. if so perhaps that supplementing for the profit loss of the suspected price drop.

I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong but a price cut of $100 less than 3 months after a $100 price drop just seems highly unlikely. Especially when I'm still seeing an abundance of PS3 ads on TV. You think they would have pulled those seeing all of them end with 'PS3 starting at 399'.

I'd probably get another at that price though.

I can see it happening if not on 1/28 then sometime in the next couple of months. Konami and Square probably don't want to see there flagship titles ported over to a US companies system. Capcom has the right idea of having a multi-platform strategy.

I'm will admit I'm not the biggest fan of the PS brand, but with Sony winning over Warner and the PS3 still being the best Blu-Ray player at $300 I'll bite. Plus with that in mind some standalone Blu-Ray players are now at the same price of a PS3 by dropping the price by $100 could push more systems as a Blu-Ray player over the $400 Sony and Samsung players,

Wouldn't Sony essentially be shooting themselves in the foor with their standalone Blu-Ray players. I know people still like stand-alone, but if the PS3 drops below the price of the stand-alone, they are driving themselves out of that market. I would imagine that a PS3 costs more to manufacture....but this is just guessing.

I would welcome a price drop....$300 is a nice price. Maybe more of my friends would be likely to get them.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong but a price cut of $100 less than 3 months after a $100 price drop just seems highly unlikely. Especially when I'm still seeing an abundance of PS3 ads on TV. You think they would have pulled those seeing all of them end with 'PS3 starting at 399'.

I'd probably get another at that price though.[/QUOTE]

the 40GB was always $399 so technically this would be its 1st price cut

Blu ray players selling isn't a big deal at this point... PS3 was at the right price to win the format war, but its too high to win a console war. the only unfortunate thing is that most rumors never pan out to be true, so although we all know a 100 price drop in Jan would be a great move [and most benificial]

If Sony price drop and sales don't pick up immediately, then devs may jump off the sony band wagon quicker as well. It might be better to have them "waiting" to see how the ps3 performs later in the year, than to price drop and instantly give an idea to devs as to how many consumers are actually willing to purchase ps3.

[quote name='NeoStrider']the 40GB was always $399 so technically this would be its 1st price cut[/quote]

I know, but the average joe out there sees that it's come down from 500 - 400 and that's what I was getting at.

If the PS3 goes to $300 it might be hard for me to get through 2008 without buying one.... even though I keep telling myself that Holiday 2009 is when I'm going to bite (along with a 50" 1080p plasma assuming I can get one for

[quote name='javeryh']If the PS3 goes to $300 it might be hard for me to get through 2008 without buying one.... even though I keep telling myself that Holiday 2009 is when I'm going to bite (along with a 50" 1080p plasma assuming I can get one for

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Don't get a plasma if you're gonna play games...[/quote]

Why not? I've had my 1080i plasma for 4+ years now and I game on it for 1-3 hours every day.

[quote name='javeryh']Why not? I've had my 1080i plasma for 4+ years now and I game on it for 1-3 hours every day.[/quote]

You must be good at preventing burn in. I'd be terrible at it. I always keep my games on pause screens. :lol:

I know this is just a rumor and all...and I see that all anyone is talking about is the 40 GB model dropping $100 to $299.

Has anyone heard that this would be a $100 price drop across the board (60GB, if you can find it and the 80GB model, for $399)? Or is that just assumed?

I just bought a 60 GB...and it's gonna kill me if it drops $100 in less than two weeks....

Just wondering...

:bomb:

[quote name='DarkNessBear']You must be good at preventing burn in. I'd be terrible at it. I always keep my games on pause screens. :lol:[/quote]

Plasmas don't really suffer from burn-in more than any other TV does. It is something that early models had issues with and it seems to have stuck, unfortunately. I don't have a hint of any burn in and I watch PTI every day which has the ugliest stationary screen in the history of television. Obviously, I don't abuse it though - if I'm not playing or watching I generally keep the TV off and I definitely don't pause for long periods of time (TV or games).

[quote name='javeryh']If the PS3 goes to $300 it might be hard for me to get through 2008 without buying one.... even though I keep telling myself that Holiday 2009 is when I'm going to bite (along with a 50" 1080p plasma assuming I can get one for

bread's done
Back