PS3 to $299 rumor? (OP Updated: SD links)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Well, Hot Shots Golf 5 should be out this year, and I know you'd probably want that game. ;)[/quote]

I know. Believe it or not that's actually the "killer app" for me over MGS4 assuming they get rid of the ridiculous "sign up for a tee time and play later" feature and just have regular online multiplayer with up to 4 people.

[quote name='NJC']I know this is just a rumor and all...and I see that all anyone is talking about is the 40 GB model dropping $100 to $299.

Has anyone heard that this would be a $100 price drop across the board (60GB, if you can find it and the 80GB model, for $399)? Or is that just assumed?

I just bought a 60 GB...and it's gonna kill me if it drops $100 in less than two weeks....

Just wondering...

:bomb:[/quote]

If it's a 100 drop it's presumed to be across the board.

[quote name='javeryh']I know. Believe it or not that's actually the "killer app" for me over MGS4 assuming they get rid of the ridiculous "sign up for a tee time and play later" feature and just have regular online multiplayer with up to 4 people.[/QUOTE]Outside of Tekken 6 and FFXIII games, HSG5 is my most wanted game too, so I understand. ;)

Anyway, this is still a rumor, because CAG/Slick Deals are the only sites I'm seeing this on (usually if there's some truth, it's all over PS3 Fanboy, PS3 forums, and many other forums I go to).

[quote name='NJC']

I just bought a 60 GB...and it's gonna kill me if it drops $100 in less than two weeks....
[/quote]

Honestly, there's no way you'd get a 60gb with a price drop. Just consider the BC an extra investment.

I just cant see them dropping the price twice in under a year.. granted they would sell a lot more consoles.. but still..

I bought a 60gb for 599.99 (two of them) on launch.

I never complained about the price drop, never got my money back, cuz I didnt care.

if you are whining about "Oh if it drops ANOTHER 100, ill buy one definitely" Quit whining, go out and get one, if it doesn't drop you will still get one. Dont lie to yourself.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Honestly, there's no way you'd get a 60gb with a price drop. Just consider the BC an extra investment.[/quote]

Why can't you get a 60gb if a price drop happens?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']
if you are whining about "Oh if it drops ANOTHER 100, ill buy one definitely" Quit whining, go out and get one, if it doesn't drop you will still get one. Dont lie to yourself.[/QUOTE]

For one, why is it whining? Maybe you need to look up what that word means ;). For me, it is simply that I have no need for a PS3 right now. Yet $100 makes it that much more appealing so I'd consider it for sure at that point. I'd like to check out all the fuss about Blu-Ray for one thing.

And second, NO, I will not "still get one" if it doesn't drop. Frankly, I'd like to wait until a PS3 slim comes out as that thing is a behemoth that I don't want sitting in my living room (the 360 is already taking up too much space - would like a slim one of those, too, but I had to pick one of the HD systems to play early). An additional $100 price drop might be enough to get me to go with the current model though. So, yeah, I suppose if the PS3 didn't drop in price in the next 2-3 years then I might "still get one" but in that case it would have to be doing really well with lots of awesome games (for it to maintain the $400/$500 pricing) so I probably wouldn't mind at that point. But I'm not getting one this year unless it drops - and even then I may have to consider how much time I'm really going to spend playing it with all the games I have yet to play for my other systems.

Sorry, you seemed to have missed the point.
I will ONLY buy a PS3 at $300. I haven't bought one yet. Time won't change my decision... UNLESS it hits $300.

Well, that is unless I find a 20GB used... But I won't buy a new PS3 for anything over $300.
[quote name='Ice2Dragon']if you are whining about "Oh if it drops ANOTHER 100, ill buy one definitely" Quit whining, go out and get one, if it doesn't drop you will still get one. Dont lie to yourself.[/quote]

Well I have two days still to authorize a return at Overstock for my PS3... the cool thing is it doesn't look like they scan the Serial number.... so I could buy another and send it back in place of the newly purchased one... I will give it another 24 hours and Friday set up the return... then just sit it out.

For the $100 savings (as well as the rumored free blu ray remote MIR) I will defiantly go through the trouble.

With the free 5 BD deal ending 1/31, and I also heard the spiderman 3/ motorstorm bundles are also ending at the end the month (unconfirmed, I believe). It seems to me that either a price drop or at least a new bundle is coming soon. So I'll wait until feb before I get my PS3.

anyone know when (or if) the sony card 100 dollar credit deal is ending?

my thinking is right now a 40GB PS3, for 399 - 100 dollar credit, plus 5 free BD movies, (6 total including teh spiderman 3 dis thats included) plus 12 months 0% interest financing is a pretty sweet deal (that is, if you don't care about backward compatibility, like me)

the only thing that could make it sweeter is a price drop (making the final price 249 or 199 after the credit) but that will more than likely be after the 5 free BD movies offer expires (5 BD movies, at 25 bucks each is still slightly more... but thats assuming they give you movies you actually want)

Think this rumor is dead. We should know more certainly when the BB/Target ads are posted for that week (unless Sony demanded they not advertise the price-drop the first week b/c what happened last time). So far the CC ad listed in the video game deals board mentions no PS3 price-drop next week. Besides I think we would have heard more rumors buzzing around the Internets.....

$299 would be awesome. I could easily knock it down to like $150 out of my pocket after flipping a few games....

If this price drop is true, could be that Sony smells blood in the water for HD-DVD and a $300 Blu-Ray player could really move some players along with WB going BR exclusive. Maybe, it's a part of an overall price/sale on BD players.

Also, I was looking for PS3 bundles at Costco and left my phone number with a rep to let me know if they have plans to carry the 80gb in store. Well, he gave me a call saying that soon Costco will have a coupon in it's next book that will save some money on any PS3 bundle. I wonder if this "rumored" coupon is just a coincidence with talk of a price drop...

[quote name='karkyco']Wow that would be crazy. Going from $500 to $300 in a bit over a year, with 2 price drops.
[/QUOTE]

Their (rumored) production costs have dropped even more than that though-supposedly halved in the last year so that they're making a profit on some models already. So another price drop isn't outside the realm of possibility.

[quote name='velvet396']agreed woodcan. nice wishful thinking though - I'll gladly sit on the fence until a price drop pushes me over...[/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. The current promotion at BluRaySavings ends with the period of 1/31/08, that would make no sense to drop the price by $100 with three days left in that promotion. Maybe after that promo ends but not before.

I really want to get a 60gb from K-Mart, but i don't want them to be gone by the time this actually may happen. I pretty much need to decide if i want the 5 blu rays at 500, or wait for a rumored near future price drop, and then i can get it for 400, if they actually still have it.

Decisions.

some things do add up ... they did say the cost of making them has dropped to half of what it used to be .. could a $299 price drop be sony's prince charming?

Even if they don't plan on dropping the price to $299 right away, they need to do it by the summer. Theres a HUGE amount of PS2 fans still loyal to the Playstation brand will would definitely buy a PS3 at $299, though are still wary to spend $399. The longer Sony waits to drop the price, the more of thse PS2 owners they will lose to the 360.

[quote name='iamrobk']Even if they don't plan on dropping the price to $299 right away, they need to do it by the summer. Theres a HUGE amount of PS2 fans still loyal to the Playstation brand will would definitely buy a PS3 at $299, though are still wary to spend $399. The longer Sony waits to drop the price, the more of
thse PS2 owners they will lose to the 360.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those :D

From what this says they will be announcing the PS3 price drop on Jan. 28th and it won't go into effect til Feb. 29th. Or am I reading this wrong?

http://gamerumor.blogspot.com/2008/01/playstation-3-gets-another-price-cut.html

I don't see the point of announcing a price drop that far in advance. You would basically be sacrificing a month's worth of sales for people waiting for the PS3 to drop.

I was thinking about buying a PS3 today, but I didn't have any way to get to Best Buy. If I do buy one tomorrow, and the price actually does drop, can I go back and get a refund?

30 days are usually the time limit to get your money back. Are there any big PS3 titles coming in March? The timing does seem a little off for a price drop. However, the last time we heard rumors of a price drop happening, with date & price it happened. With both the PS3 and 360 this happened.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm one of those :D

From what this says they will be announcing the PS3 price drop on Jan. 28th and it won't go into effect til Feb. 29th. Or am I reading this wrong?

http://gamerumor.blogspot.com/2008/01/playstation-3-gets-another-price-cut.html[/quote]

That website, whatever it is says a new model with the 299 price. What can they possibly cut to lower the price further? ?aybe take out the hard drive entirely (fine with me since you can put any huge cheap hd in there).

The deal with warner seems plausible, and it could sway universal and paramount to move to the blu camp a bit faster. If it happens before the 5 free movies deal is up I'll bite (if not I'll wait longer and get a hdtv first). Unfortunately if it's a new model that comes out in feb we won't be able to buy now for the free movies and get the difference refunded later.

This rumor is gaining steam, it's getting mentioned a lot more on the internet (no one legitimate). I guess we'll see on jan 28th if the rumor is true or not.

I am betting this is a house of cards but with the cheaper jasper chipset coming in a few months for the 360 further price cuts for both consoles are inevitable; The Wii not so much.

I could see a pricecut to boost sales and further establish the PS3 and Blu-Ray, but I don't buy, even for a second, another SKU. Hardware revisions that we may not notice? Sure - all consoles do that.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']And heres the problem I run into nearly everyday.

The differences between DVD and Blu ray are outstanding.. audio and picture quality wise.. you dont understand how much better blu ray is.

Dont knock it until youve seen and heard what movies were intended to be like..[/quote]

I've seen them on an HDTV, both BR and regular DVDs and personally, for the extra $20, I would STILL buy the CHEAPER format since I'm just that damn cheap and I really don't give a crap to see all of the subtle nuances of a film.

If you get off sitting there watching a film frame by frame, creaming your jeans because the picture is just a bit better than the old format, so be it as it's your right. As for me, I'll stick to DVDs or watching the movie in the theaters on the cheap movie day($5.25 per movie, every showing on Tuesdays here).

And Back In Black, you mind if I ask you WHERE in PA you are, since I know of a few Kmarts around by me with 60gb models languishing in the case, though I'm not about to mention WHERE I am. I only ask since I may spring for a PS3 if they leveled the playing field for ALL PS3 models.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've seen them on an HDTV, both BR and regular DVDs and personally, for the extra $20, I would STILL buy the CHEAPER format since I'm just that damn cheap and I really don't give a crap to see all of the subtle nuances of a film.

If you get off sitting there watching a film frame by frame, creaming your jeans because the picture is just a bit better than the old format, so be it as it's your right. As for me, I'll stick to DVDs or watching the movie in the theaters on the cheap movie day($5.25 per movie, every showing on Tuesdays here).

And Back In Black, you mind if I ask you WHERE in PA you are, since I know of a few Kmarts around by me with 60gb models languishing in the case, though I'm not about to mention WHERE I am. I only ask since I may spring for a PS3 if they leveled the playing field for ALL PS3 models.[/QUOTE]

Come on, you used that quote in a different post if I remember. :bouncy:

Highly doubt this. December NPDs were good, they also have good games on the horizon, and blu-ray is winning. I hope it happens though. So far only hot air though.

[quote name='xl_prankster_lx']Highly doubt this. December NPDs were good, they also have good games on the horizon, and blu-ray is winning. I hope it happens though. So far only hot air though.[/QUOTE]

December is the holidays, all system sales were good, PS3 was still in dead last.
January is here and system buying tapers off...and people are still trying to find a Wii (and will have one in a few days if they did the pre-order thing at GameStop).

All the ads for the week of the 28th show nothing...and announcing a price drop in a month would hurt current sales.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've seen them on an HDTV, both BR and regular DVDs and personally, for the extra $20, I would STILL buy the CHEAPER format since I'm just that damn cheap and I really don't give a crap to see all of the subtle nuances of a film.

If you get off sitting there watching a film frame by frame, creaming your jeans because the picture is just a bit better than the old format, so be it as it's your right. As for me, I'll stick to DVDs or watching the movie in the theaters on the cheap movie day($5.25 per movie, every showing on Tuesdays here).[/quote]

You sound like my grandfather when DVDs came out. ;)

[quote name='dpatel']I don't see the point of announcing a price drop that far in advance. You would basically be sacrificing a month's worth of sales for people waiting for the PS3 to drop.[/quote]*insert random CC lawsuit against Speedy for the down-to-$499 price drop comment*

[quote name='javeryh']You sound like my grandfather when DVDs came out. ;)[/QUOTE]

OR like the "crazy" people who think Vinyl sounds better than CD's, lol

Maybe because vinyl actually does sound better...
[quote name='Drnick']OR like the "crazy" people who think Vinyl sounds better than CD's, lol[/quote]

[quote name='gametastic']Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but...

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2472.html
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180195[/QUOTE]

Not news. This is a "we're not gonna tell you until we tell you" precautionary measure. It's never been any different.

The only thing about the rumored price cut that I think is questionable is that it will be announced 1 month before it takes effect. Which is unprecedented and stupid. I do think it will hit $300 before Christmas - but that gives 11 months between now and then, so it may not be soon. IMO, anyway.

I'm seriously wondering about this because my local Best Buy has sold their entire stock of PS3s without getting more. Maybe there IS a new SKU coming out at a cheaper pricepoint.

[quote name='Jgel']Come on, you used that quote in a different post if I remember. :bouncy:[/quote]

Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, all I know is that everyone who is willing to drop $30 per hd format disc must have alot of disposable income that I don't. Plus, well, there's that whole thing where I've never and will never use my GAME systems to play ANY format disc OTHER than games. The only time I ever used my PS1's to play a cd was when I was testing it prior to trading/selling them, same goes for my other PS2's I've had.

I mean, yeah, Sony touted both additional aspects of those systems, but yet, I have a dvd player and cd player already, so I never saw the need to use them for those functions. It's a nice addition to have, but wholly unneccessary, if you ask me.

And dammit, vinyl does sound better than CD's, you young whelps.

I'd be tempted by a $300 White PS3, especially now it looks like Blu-Ray will win the format war, and there's some good PS3 exclusives out.

I just got my PS3 40gb last week on Monday. I'll be ticked if this happens now rather than summer time like originally expected...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, all I know is that everyone who is willing to drop $30 per hd format disc must have alot of disposable income that I don't. Plus, well, there's that whole thing where I've never and will never use my GAME systems to play ANY format disc OTHER than games. The only time I ever used my PS1's to play a cd was when I was testing it prior to trading/selling them, same goes for my other PS2's I've had.

I mean, yeah, Sony touted both additional aspects of those systems, but yet, I have a dvd player and cd player already, so I never saw the need to use them for those functions. It's a nice addition to have, but wholly unneccessary, if you ask me.

And dammit, vinyl does sound better than CD's, you young whelps.[/QUOTE]

I've never spet more than $15 on a HD DVD disc, and I'm sure a lot of people on here haven't either.

bread's done
Back