PS4 Pro Preorders up

i don't see a good reason to buy it when you already have a PS4
I feel the same about new Iphones every year but people line up for them to use the same damn facebook and instagram apps. I'll most likely get the Pro, should be good deals on black friday with least 50dollar GC and free game.

Exactly; there really isn't any incentive to upgrade if you currently have a PS4.
If you own a 4K TV and are getting PS VR it's worth upgrading, if you don't own a 4K TV and have no plans to get PS VR anytime soon then you have very little to no incentive to upgrade from the current PS4.

Untitled.png

Yep... capped FPS so the the PS4 Basic Scumlords don't complain...
Bleh. I'm a fan of Sony too, but this is just unappealing. What's the point of upgrading :(

Honestly, The PR4 Pro look more like a competitor to the XBox One S than the Scorpio.  And even there it lacks things like 4k Blurays that the XB1 S has.  I was interested, but see absolutely no reason to upgrade, particularly since a 4k TV isn't on the horizon for us right now.  And the list of "Best games for the PS4 Pro" doesn't give me much interest.

I've got a feeling they are now thinking of a much more substantial upgrade for down the road, but given they will now be telling the crowd that have been really clinging to the PS4 being a little bit more powerful than the competition they now are behind the times even on their own choice of platform, it is puzzling.  Obviously if you are just getting a PS4, Pro would be the choice, but an upgrade if you already have one seems really pointless.

That said, I feel upgrading to the XB1 S from a regular one is also sort of pointless.

If you own a 4K TV and are getting PS VR it's worth upgrading, if you don't own a 4K TV and have no plans to get PS VR anytime soon then you have very little to no incentive to upgrade from the current PS4.
I have the psvr bundle pre-ordered and this was there last shot at getting me to keep it. I thought they would have showcased it yesterday with the pro but didn't. Having been a day 1 ps3, psp, psp go, vita, and ps TV, I have done my bid for king and country. I wont be an early adopter this time.

Back when the ps3 came out, they had the best blu ray player and most affordable one. I think they put blu ray on the map. I thought they could have been forward thinking this time now with the 4k Blu ray player, but they didn't. I own all systems and they had done such a good job with the launch beating xbox. Now it seems like they are just arrogant, not including features. I dont play my xbone much, but I appreciate them adding the features on the S, adding backward compatibility and my favorite controller ever made since the NES max, the Xbox elite controller.

I'll still buy the pro because I have had a nice 4k TV and want to get the most out of it. They wont see my money on the VR until better deals are to be had and it actually takes off.

I feel the same about new Iphones every year but people line up for them to use the same damn facebook and instagram apps. I'll most likely get the Pro, should be good deals on black friday with least 50dollar GC and free game.
I don't know if the stores will have a bundle with a new console that came out 2 weeks before. Definitely on the OG PS4, but probably not the Pro.

i don't see a good reason to buy it when you already have a PS4
it was stated even if you have a 1080p tv you would see upgrades in the visuals, more detailed, complex and rich environments, better lighting, better AA, stable frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if the stores will have a bundle with a new console that came out 2 weeks before. Definitely on the OG PS4, but probably not the Pro.
Agreed, and with it being under 30 days from release to black Friday, I'll just get the store I'm preordering from, which is Best Buy, to match any black Friday deal, or I'll just buy the deal and return the launch PS4 Pro.

to me, this just means a full 4k gaming ps4 will release in early 2018
Microsoft launches Scorpio holiday 2017 and if it starts getting any traction Sony can then take the wind out of the sails and announces PS5 at E3 2018, but I don't foresee it coming out sooner than 2019.. keeping a 3 year cycle going..

2013 PS4

2016 PS4 Pro

2019 PS5

2022 PS5 Pro

I have the psvr bundle pre-ordered and this was there last shot at getting me to keep it. I thought they would have showcased it yesterday with the pro but didn't. Having been a day 1 ps3, psp, psp go, vita, and ps TV, I have done my bid for king and country. I wont be an early adopter this time.

Back when the ps3 came out, they had the best blu ray player and most affordable one. I think they put blu ray on the map. I thought they could have been forward thinking this time now with the 4k Blu ray player, but they didn't. I own all systems and they had done such a good job with the launch beating xbox. Now it seems like they are just arrogant, not including features. I dont play my xbone much, but I appreciate them adding the features on the S, adding backward compatibility and my favorite controller ever made since the NES max, the Xbox elite controller.

I'll still buy the pro because I have had a nice 4k TV and want to get the most out of it. They wont see my money on the VR until better deals are to be had and it actually takes off.
That's my biggest thing is having a 4K TV I have a strong desire for more content. I also had paid my Best Buy Credit Card off awhile back so putting the Pro on that and paying it off in a few months isn't going to kill me. I lucked out and managed to get just the VR headset, already have the camera and have yet to see a reason to pick up Move controllers.

The 500 GB Xbox One S is $299. The 1 TB model is $350 and the 2 TB Launch Edition is $399, not sure why anyone would purchase the 1 TB if they have the chance to get the 2 TB still, which Amazon has in stock. I imagine the Scorpio will launch for around $399-$499.
Because the 500gb and 1tb models come with free games that make them a better value. Especially if you consider that Xbox One not only supports external drives but runs faster with them? Honestly the internal drive is almost useless to me.

i dont see why ps4 wont' eventually be updated to play 4k blurays.  Other than software there is nothing the Pro hardware doesn't have to play 4k movies.  Same with PS3 in the early days, it was updated to play 3d movies and also decode DTS-MA.

There's also no reason it shouldn't have external HD support. They've added a 3.0 USB to the back of the console. I'd love to plug a 4 TB Netbook into it and be done with hard drive storage issues.

Even if you prefer discs over digital, you still have to install your games.  So what if you could could swap the internal hard drive, that just means that you will have to deal with the old hard drive and it will probably just be laying around unused or you end up plugging that into something else.  Also what's even more stupid is Sony puts a limit of storage space for the internal hard drive.  Having more options is better than having less, every model of the PS4 seems to have less options compared to others.

Even if you prefer discs over digital, you still have to install your games. So what if you could could swap the internal hard drive, that just means that you will have to deal with the old hard drive and it will probably just be laying around unused or you end up plugging that into something else. Also what's even more stupid is Sony puts a limit of storage space for the internal hard drive. Having more options is better than having less, every model of the PS4 seems to have less options compared to others.
there are options, clearly you like the xbox more. I buy both because I shit gold

It's funny how everyone cares about 4k bluray all of a sudden.. how much would this be an issue if it weren't for the Xbox One S? How many people actually own a single 4k bluray or even watch movies via physical media these day? Like you said, this is the more powerful gaming machine, and that is what this is primarily for.

I think Sony did a terrible job today of showing off the machines capability and really selling the machine. I think once people get their hands on these no matter if they are hooked to a 4k set or standard hdtv and start seeing the capabilities, the perception is going to change much like yours did once reading the digital foundry article.
I think Sony has a legacy of pushing adoption of emerging disc based formats and the omission is disappointing as a result. The PS2 was the first mainstream DVD player. The PS3 was the first mainstream bluray player. The PS4 Pro could have been the first mainstream 4k Bluray player. I think the format for me is a nice to have but it makes the value proposition infinitely better. It is much easier to justify an upgrade for this capability than without it. Also, streaming with its compression even in 4k is not the same as uncompressed local media. It's not generally worth the cost to me but quality wise? they don't compare.

Bottom line is this: If Sony had included a 4k Bluray player it would result in three major advantages. One, anyone buying a 4k TV would consider purchasing it even if they aren't gamers but now they are looking only at the Xbox One S. Two, anyone looking to upgrade from PS4 to Pro would have a much easier time justifying its price tag. Three, 4k Bluray as a result would gain more mainstream acceptance and, as a result, Sony would make more revenue from royalties on the format.

I don't think Sony really thought they needed to give out everything on PS4 Pro which is an update to support VR, it's not a new generation console, and they have a comfortable sales figure ahead of XBone.

Brute force power is not the determining factor in winning the console war. It is the games and gaming experience provided.

PS3 lost to Wii, which barely better than GameCube, even PS3 is more power and features the only Blu-ray drive among all consoles in that generation, Blu-ray drive didn't help in the beginning as people were not picking up blu-ray yet at that time.

Even now many people are comfortable with DVD, let alone 4K video, I'm one of those don't care about 4K content, 1080P is good enough for me when I sit 7 feet away from my TV and I'm not going to sit close to my TV to count the pixels.
Bluray helped immensely. It didn't make them win the generation but I know so very many people who bought a PS3 only for the Bluray player and it ended up being their only console as a result.

Uhd blu-ray may have actually succeeded if Sony would have included it. Now, it'll probably remain a niche format and disc prices will remain high. 4k streaming looks no better than standard blu-ray, so this is incredibly disappointing.
This. I do fear its adoption now. And 4k streaming with its compression does look better than 1080p streaming but not as good as upscaled uncompressed 1080p bluray.

there are options, clearly you like the xbox more. I buy both because I shit gold
What's the highest storage capacity of internal hard drive can you use inside your PS4? There is no option in adding more when you hit that limit in a PS4 while other current gaming systems do. More options the better.

What's the highest storage capacity of internal hard drive can you use inside your PS4? There is no option in adding more when you hit that limit in a PS4 while other current gaming systems do. More options the better.
I put in a 1tb drive in mine and its not even half full. I can upgrade to 2tb eventually but I dont see needing it for least a few years. Most of the games installed in my ps4 I haven't touch in months or years like Last of Us, Arkham Knight, Advance Warfare and Need for Speed. They can all be punted. I dont feel the need to hoard games in my system I won't touch.

4 tb is the highest that the operating system will properly detect. why would you need more than that?

Yeah exactly, but the Pro isn't even native 4K; it's just up-scaled.

Is the Scorpio? I don't even know.

They don't even have a player out yet. It doesn't come out until early 2017.
But they are involved in making the standard and collect royalties as being the leading member of the Bluray Consortium. I'm not sure of the numbers but I believe Sony and Panasonic are the two biggest members and collect the vast majority of payouts.

That isn't entirely fair. The Pro is a significant performance bump and even if not capable of native 4k will produce much better frame rates and/or visuals in general.

My guess is even scorpio won't be able to sustain 30+ framerates and lush 4k visuals. We are just in an inbetween stage right now. Even on the PC you usually have to choose 4k with lower framerate and less features or lower res with better features and framerates. 1440P is really the sweet spot for many games even with the newest video cards.

it was stated even if you have a 1080p tv you would see upgrades in the visuals, more detailed, complex and rich environments, better lighting, better AA, stable frames.
i know

still don't see a good reason to upgrade if you already have a PS4

i also feel like they are now supposedly giving us the console they promised us 3 years ago when these next gen consoles were first released

i feel like the scorpio is just a bunch of numbers that they havent yet put into place in console form. its like microsoft said this is what we have to put together for 4k gaming, announce that and we will figure out the components later.

Some people are saying they can potentially patch the Pro to play 4K blu Rays, some say it is impossible. Is there a definitive answer on whether this is possible or not?

it will run games native 4k. but neither scropio or pro will be able to run 4k at 60fps with out huge compromises in graphic quality. Going to need a gpu that cost least a grand to do that.

Some people are saying they can potentially patch the Pro to play 4K blu Rays, some say it is impossible. Is there a definitive answer on whether this is possible or not?
I can't think of a reason they couldn't patch the PS4 Pro or any HDMI 2.0a device to support 4k bluray. I believe the lasers are the same and as long as you have HDMI 2.0a you should be able to output 4k and HDR. However there are licensing costs associated and I doubt they would add it since they would end up having to pay royalties on each download. (This is also why I believe MS made the bluray player a download and not on the stock HDD on the XBone)

4 tb is the highest that the operating system will properly detect. why would you need more than that?
I've got over 4tb of games on X1 I'd like installed (sadly I only have a 3Tb external and 500GB internal so it doesn't all fit), and I know I'm not the only one with that much content downloaded. It's kind of short sighted to put a 4tb limit if you won't allow external HDs. I do have a 2tb installed in my PS4, but that's not close to full yet

Lol are you talking about neogaf's Jeff Rigby I was just on there and someone posted a thread were he was referenced in an article on Arstechnica.
Honestly I sort of believe he is right and it's technically possible.

Because the 500gb and 1tb models come with free games that make them a better value. Especially if you consider that Xbox One not only supports external drives but runs faster with them? Honestly the internal drive is almost useless to me.
Oh I am not arguing that the Xbox One S isn't a better value because I agree that it absolutely is. I also love that I can use an external drive on my Xbox One, it's the main reason I have more games on the One than I do PS4. It's mind boggling why the PS4 doesn't allow game installs on an external drive.

bluray play back is just playing back a compressed video file, really nothing on the hardware that won't allow it to do that.  Software just haven't been completed yet as I think sony is trying to beat release for xmas.

But they are involved in making the standard and collect royalties as being the leading member of the Bluray Consortium. I'm not sure of the numbers but I believe Sony and Panasonic are the two biggest members and collect the vast majority of payouts.

That isn't entirely fair. The Pro is a significant performance bump and even if not capable of native 4k will produce much better frame rates and/or visuals in general.

My guess is even scorpio won't be able to sustain 30+ framerates and lush 4k visuals. We are just in an inbetween stage right now. Even on the PC you usually have to choose 4k with lower framerate and less features or lower res with better features and framerates. 1440P is really the sweet spot for many games even with the newest video cards.
I mean, I guess, but the Scorpio is definitely the better of the two. I agree with you about the "inbetween stage".

bluray play back is just playing back a compressed video file, really nothing on the hardware that won't allow it to do that. Software just haven't been completed yet as I think sony is trying to beat release for xmas.
Could it be a possibility that it'll be patched in, like 3D support was?

Scorpio won't be true 4K either, and if you think so you're a fool. GTX 1080s still struggle with 4k resolution in many games that are already out, and a console that costs less than a single video card isn't going to perform better -- Scorpio's much-vaunted SIX TERAFLOPS pales in comparison to the 1080's 9.

If Xbox fans want to get into a dick-measuring contest against the Pro, don't forget that a Mandingo is already out there.

People need to calm down the Scorpio and TeraFAPS bullshit... stop acting like Microsoft hasn't lied in the past before

and probably isn't lying to hype up their mystery machine now... As far as I'm concerned the Scorpio is the name of the controller for the NX... because we know jack shit about both.

Scorpio won't be true 4K either, and if you think so you're a fool. GTX 1080s still struggle with 4k resolution in many games that are already out, and a console that costs less than a single video card isn't going to perform better -- Scorpio's much-vaunted SIX TERAFLOPS pales in comparison to the 1080's 9.

If Xbox fans want to get into a dick-measuring contest against the Pro, don't forget that a Mandingo is already out there.
Never said I thought it would, hence why I asked. I wasn't sure on the Scorpio's specs outside of the 6 teraflops.

Microsoft announced the Scorpio as early as they did specifically for what has happened the past 24 hours.  And that is to mobilize people to attack Sony's offering and keep themselves relevant while they rush to get a competitive product to the market.  Well played, but at this point it is nothing more than vaporware.

Also if people truly care about 4k bluray they aren't buying an Xbox One S for it either because of it's lack of support for it's audio formats Dolby Atmos and DTS TrueHD, essentially crippling half the experience.  I suspect the majority of the outcry about the Pro missing this feature are just Xbox fans concern trolling.

Never said I thought it would, hence why I asked. I wasn't sure on the Scorpio's specs outside of the 6 teraflops.
Wasn't talking to you specifically, just a lot of people who are like "BAH GAWD THE SCORPIOS GONNA TEAR THE PRO APART" when neither of them are that impressive.

e: to what RiPPn said, I don't give a single shit about fancy audio. I like high-res images, and as far as I'm concerned stereo is a-ok. I'm actually not a fan of HDR either, and would likely turn that off if given the option.

Wasn't talking to you specifically, just a lot of people who are like "BAH GAWD THE SCORPIOS GONNA TEAR THE PRO APART" when neither of them are that impressive.

e: to what RiPPn said, I don't give a single shit about fancy audio. I like high-res images, and as far as I'm concerned stereo is a-ok. I'm actually not a fan of HDR either, and would likely turn that off if given the option.
Oh, okay. Gotcha.

I do think the Scorpio is the better of the two though, and mainly because of the 4K player ability. The 6 teraflops is nice too, but outside of that, I don't think it'll be the huge difference that everyone was expecting. I mean, maybe to PC gamers it's not impressive, but I'd say it's quite impressive from a console gamer's point of view.

I think Sony purposefully left out 4K Bluray so they can add it in the PS5.  

It's why I hate this incremental upgrade bullshit.  You can't future proof because now there is always something added for later, or saved for later.  I buy a console designed to last for a solid few years, perhaps half a decade.

I won't support it.

Thread got too long for me to read through it all so sorry if it's been posted but a quick look on brickseek shows that the current BO3 bundle is $300 now

Cell phones release every year with small upgrades and no one bats and eye.

Consoles do it every 3 years and everyone loses their minds.

My one contribution to Pro/Scorpio talk.

Telling me how good the Scorpio will be is a waste of time. Once you said it, all I heard the rest of the time was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEsjd1WZuY

I can't remember what site did it but a reporter asked about 4k blu-ray via an upgrade and the sony rep at the event said definitively that it will not happen.  Now this is the same company that acted like the PS4 slim was fake for 2 weeks though.

bread's done
Back