PS4 Pro Preorders up

Best Buy just authorizes and then the charge goes away right?
Correct and depending on the length of the preorder they may do a rolling authorization. In the end the actual charge takes place when you pick up the item or they ship it.

Not 100 dollars cheaper, 50 but I get ur point, neo is 400, 1 tb xbox one s is 350.

Honestly I think i may just get the kickass looking Gears of war xbox one s for 450 since i sold my regular xbox one for 250 a week or so ago anticipating the neo but with the no 4kblu ray player id rather get the Xbox1S or just wait for Scorpio at this point.
The 500 GB Xbox One S is $299. The 1 TB model is $350 and the 2 TB Launch Edition is $399, not sure why anyone would purchase the 1 TB if they have the chance to get the 2 TB still, which Amazon has in stock. I imagine the Scorpio will launch for around $399-$499.

PS4 Pro is useless.  1080, 4K (Movies Only for now) and 30 fps on games.  NEO will make the different.  You buy your PS4 PRO now you will regret when NEO coming out NEXT year. 

off topic but did anyone watch the apple conference and see that mario will now be on the apple app store "first" ...wonder if that means nintendo is going to start making games for other cosoles eventually :p

The Pro (and any other PS4) will reformat it. You'll have to back up the data on it to an external and restore it once the hard drive is in the new PS4.
oh I dont mind redownloading everything(As long as I can backup my Uncharted 4 save data that is basically the only game Ive been playing right now) but that drive that I have now will fit in this new PS4 or should I be instead getting a different drive, thought maybe the new PS4 would have an SSD drive or something

off topic but did anyone watch the apple conference and see that mario will now be on the apple app store "first" ...wonder if that means nintendo is going to start making games for other cosoles eventually :p
No, it's part of the continued mobile strategy, they just released this game on iOS first (unfortunately).

PS4 Pro is useless. 1080, 4K (Movies Only for now) and 30 fps on games. NEO will make the different. You buy your PS4 PRO now you will regret when NEO coming out NEXT year.
Are you being serious? The Pro is the Neo, this statement would be like saying "You buy the PS VR now, you will regret it when the Morpheus is out next year."

Also what is up with Sony code naming things after The Matrix? The rumored Vita announcement was being touted at PS Trinity, shame that was announced I would have bought two of those!

Why no 4K blu-ray player? Seems like that would be more than a given considering it is THEIR technology.
I think Sony figured that most people who love 4K movies already have a 4K player..it would have been nice to have it I figured they would but I dont buy 4K movies so for me its no big deal, I am glad that they can play 4K content(games, etc) just wish it came with a larger hard drive

Although I will be waiting for more specs on the drives before purchasing, I am probably set on getting the Pro. I don't have a ps4 or a 4K, and probably won't have one for a while, but I am (and feel free to hate me on this) pretty upset by the choice to include a 500gb hard drive on the slim. I'm hoping there is some bundle that will include an upgraded hard drive by the holidays, but I'll probably wait on a purchase until January or so.
Yes, I know I can replace the hard drive, but I just can't get behind Sony's decision to push out crappy hard drives to the masses knowing people will have to replace them rather quickly. And yes, 1tb isn't much better, but I made it for quite a while on my 80gb fat...

The Pro is the Neo.
5c1.gif

For those who don't get this META AF joke:

I'm Squirtle

Jimbo is Heracross

& Masterkyo is Bulbasaur

Last edited by a moderator:
You're aware they have a new console coming out in March? No. No more than Sony or Xbox since they make mobile games (heck Minecraft is owned by Ms and is on Wii U!)

PS4 Pro is useless. 1080, 4K (Movies Only for now) and 30 fps on games. NEO will make the different. You buy your PS4 PRO now you will regret when NEO coming out NEXT year.
The pro is the neo. If they do release a new one next year, it sure as hell is going to be called the neo (or the code name for that matter). That name is tainted after that turd sandwich they called a conference.

He's not talking about the rumored Project Neo... He's talking about NEO. The One. The Chosen One. The One who will save us all. He's right, if we spend our money on the Pro now, we will regret it when Neo comes and tears down the matrix next year. Might as well spend that money on cocaine and hookers.

read a few posts up
Just did lol.

Epic fail on Sony. The Sony PS4 slim doesnt look like a huge improvement in size over the OG PS4.

The PS4 Pro doesnt look great either. Wonder about the games on PS4 Pro. Would it look that amazing comparing to the PS4? Probably not a huge improvement and probably the system too advance to make games to push it to the limit like they did with PS3?

I think Sony figured that most people who love 4K movies already have a 4K player..it would have been nice to have it I figured they would but I dont buy 4K movies so for me its no big deal, I am glad that they can play 4K content(games, etc) just wish it came with a larger hard drive
By that argument, then Sony should have released both the PS3 and PS4 without a Blu-ray player since most people who love blu-ray movies would have already owned a blu-ray player. That wasn't true. The blu-ray format wouldn't have won without Sony including a blu-ray player in the PS3, and the PS3 wouldn't have sold as many units without a blu-ray player. It's massively disappointing that Sony didn't include a 4k player in the Pro, and I think they will regret that decision.

I'm looking at the lack of a UHD blu-ray player as one of two possibilities. Either Sony believes that they already have an insurmountable lead in the next-gen video game system war, so it's not worth it for them to spend a few billions more by adding a UHD player to the PS4 Pro. Or the lack of a UHD player in PS4 Pro signals that Sony is more likely to release the next-gen console sooner rather than later, quite possibly a year after the XBOX Scorpio.

I think hardly anyone has a 4k player. I believe there is really only one on the market and it's around 400 alone

Just did lol.

Epic fail on Sony. The Sony PS4 slim doesnt look like a huge improvement in size over the OG PS4.

The PS4 Pro doesnt look great either. Wonder about the games on PS4 Pro. Would it look that amazing comparing to the PS4? Probably not a huge improvement and probably the system too advance to make games to push it to the limit like they did with PS3?
Yea. They really shit the bed on this one. I think this is going to be a cut your losses and run kind of situation. Once that scropio was announced, they new they messed up big, and now they are just trying to salvage it.

By that argument, then Sony should have released both the PS3 and PS4 without a Blu-ray player since most people who love blu-ray movies would have already owned a blu-ray player. That wasn't true. The blu-ray format wouldn't have won without Sony including a blu-ray player in the PS3, and the PS3 wouldn't have sold as many units without a blu-ray player. It's massively disappointing that Sony didn't include a 4k player in the Pro, and I think they will regret that decision.

I'm looking at the lack of a UHD blu-ray player as one of two possibilities. Either Sony believes that they already have an insurmountable lead in the next-gen video game system war, so it's not worth it for them to spend a few billions more by adding a UHD player to the PS4 Pro. Or the lack of a UHD player in PS4 Pro signals that Sony is more likely to release the next-gen console sooner rather than later, quite possibly a year after the XBOX Scorpio.
I got it mainly for blu ray player and getting cheap ps3 games down the road was a icing in the cake.

Maybe they think that digital is booming and blu ray is like the norm when blu ray tookover dvd? Not really sure why sony didnt add 4k on the Pro. Why would they release another console after the Xbox Scorpio. Sony going to confuse customers and customers going to be upset buying a Pro then upgrading to xxx.

The 500 GB Xbox One S is $299. The 1 TB model is $350 and the 2 TB Launch Edition is $399, not sure why anyone would purchase the 1 TB if they have the chance to get the 2 TB still, which Amazon has in stock. I imagine the Scorpio will launch for around $399-$499.
If the rumored specs of the Scorpio are true there is no way in bloody hell the thing will launch for 400-500, 6.2 Tflops, plus 4k blu ray player, plus upgraded CPU and more ram, ull be lucky if scorpio launches at 500. Will probablly be more like 599 or 699

So I pre ordered so if there's a shortage at least I have the option to purchase or cancel. I already upgraded to an X1S so I'm good on the UHD front. $400 seems higher than I wanted but I just had to pay $350 today to have a rotten tree removed so...may as well get something I can enjoy.

So I pre ordered so if there's a shortage at least I have the option to purchase or cancel. I already upgraded to an X1S so I'm good on the UHD front. $400 seems higher than I wanted but I just had to pay $350 today to have a rotten tree removed so...may as well get something I can enjoy.
I really dont get how 400 is higher then you expected, esspecially if you were expecting it to have 4k blu ray capabilites. I mean the GPU in the pro has 50% more power then the XB1S. While i agree i think no 4k blu ray player makes the neo basically dead in the water. I dont see how you could have possibly expected or think the Neo/Pro wasnt gonna be 400-500 bucks

Would be nice if Sony had some special thing for those who own the special anniversary ps4. No way I will trade that thing in and don't think I'll be getting a pro day 1 as I'll already be upgrading my phone this year.

It seems like Sony completely missed the mark here... lot of disappointed reactions. No UHD BD and they weren't exactly clear on whether it'll actually play 4K games or how well. I can't imagine it's powerful enough for 4K60. If there is a good trade in promo, I might bite but as it stands, this doesn't really appeal to me. 

It seems like Sony completely missed the mark here... lot of disappointed reactions. No UHD BD and they weren't exactly clear on whether it'll actually play 4K games or how well. I can't imagine it's powerful enough for 4K60. If there is a good trade in promo, I might bite but as it stands, this doesn't really appeal to me.
Seeing as how gamestop is only offering 125 for ps4 or xbox one toward the pro. That would be a negatory

It seems like Sony completely missed the mark here... lot of disappointed reactions.
There are a lot of disappointed reactions on on-line message-boards swarmed by gaming fans. When are gaming fans NOT disappointed?

I keep beating the same drum, but no one really seems to notice. The biggest sales for any given console don't happen at launch. They happen when the price of the system draws low enough to be attractive to a broader market. Sony doesn't need the PS4-Pro to sell well right out of the gate. They already have the current best-selling home console on the market. And they just announced the release of it's slimmer, cheaper-to-produce successor. PS4-Pro sales can be modest in its first year, and its second, and even its third. As long as the regular PS4 continues to sell well, there's no problem.

The PS4-Pro is a safeguard against the eventual adoption of 4K displays. And right now is the ideal time to introduce it, while there is little to no risk and the competition has not yet struck. Sony gets to enjoy an entire holiday season with new hardware on the market, and the excitement that entails. Whether or not the gaming fans show up is irrelevant. Most of them already bought PS4s anyway.

I'm still amazed that anyone in this day and age would bang on about hardware comparisons. It doesn't matter if the PS4-Pro is comparable to whatever the Scorpio ends up being. The question to ask is, "Will it will be cheaper?" Given what Microsoft is promising, the likely answer will be no. And if it ends up being yes, the chances are good that Sony will be able to drop the price on the base PS4, as well as the Pro.

From a technical stand point, it may appear that Sony is messing up. From a strategic standpoint, this is a very canny move.

There are a lot of disappointed reactions on on-line message-boards swarmed by gaming fans. When are gaming fans NOT disappointed?

I keep beating the same drum, but no one really seems to notice. The biggest sales for any given console don't happen at launch. They happen when the price of the system draws low enough to be attractive to a broader market. Sony doesn't need the PS4-Pro to sell well right out of the gate. They already have the current best-selling home console on the market. And they just announced the release of it's slimmer, cheaper-to-produce successor. PS4-Pro sales can be modest in its first year, and its second, and even its third. As long as the regular PS4 continues to sell well, there's no problem.

The PS4-Pro is a safeguard against the eventual adoption of 4K displays. And right now is the ideal time to introduce it, while there is little to no risk and the competition has not yet struck. Sony gets to enjoy an entire holiday season with new hardware on the market, and the excitement that entails. Whether or not the gaming fans show up is irrelevant. Most of them already bought PS4s anyway.

I'm still amazed that anyone in this day and age would bang on about hardware comparisons. It doesn't matter if the PS4-Pro is comparable to whatever the Scorpio ends up being. The question to ask is, "Will it will be cheaper?" Given what Microsoft is promising, the likely answer will be no. And if it ends up being yes, the chances are good that Sony will be able to drop the price on the base PS4, as well as the Pro.

From a technical stand point, it may appear that Sony is messing up. From a strategic standpoint, this is a very canny move.
Except they don't have a product that competes with the Xbox S at the Xbox S price.

Except they don't have a product that competes with the Xbox S at the Xbox S price.
Well, the XBox One S got started off at tiered pricing to begin with. So you have three different bundle/versions at three different prices, ranging from $300 - $400. If you want to make a direct comparison, the best option would be the 500 GB XBox One S, which can be had for $300. That's actually a pretty good deal, especially if you are in the market for a 4K UHD Blu-Ray player. And I believe it comes with a digital copy of the Master Chief Collection, which is also a nice bonus. This package stands up rather favourably to the PS4 Slim, which will be available for the same price point, but can't play 4K Blu-Rays.

But aside from that feature, there isn't much else to differentiate the two. The XBox One S is slightly more powerful than the original XBox One, but doesn't beat out the vanilla PS4. And it actually has had some of the extra features of the original XBox One stripped out. And it's game library doesn't stack up as well, as the PS4 has managed to gain a stronger foothold in the intervening time, and established itself as the lead platform for most development. And it's additional packages don't hold up as well because they are generally just bundles with digital codes for games and larger hard drives. If you had the foresight to get a PS4 instead of an XBox One, you can upgrade the hard drive yourself with whatever size or quality you please.

So yes, Sony does have a product to compete with the XBox One S. It's called the PS4. They don't need the PS4-Pro to compete, they already have the established market leader. The XBox One S will be very appealing to cine-philes looking to get a decent 4K UHD Blu-Ray player at a reasonable price. Those high-end consumers will likely jump on it to take advantage of their new, 4K screens. But how many of those are there?

So what I'm confused about is do I need a 4K TV to see the benefits of the Pro? Or will it look and run better on a 1080 TV as well?

I personally don't care if it has 4K blu Ray support as I'm not excited to pay $20-$30 for a 4K blu Ray just yet. I plan to get an Xbox One S when I get a 4K tv anyways and I don't need two 4K players. I for one am happy with this thing, especially the reasonable price point.

I think hardly anyone has a 4k player. I believe there is really only one on the market and it's around 400 alone
Yep only 3 4K standalone players were released this year. 2 are in the UK and Samsung released 1 in the US, the average price still is around $300 I believe. that is what made the X1S so favorable, a cheapish 4K player that also played games.

I wish the pro had more going for it but I personally feel this was a waste of resources on Sony's part. Hopefully we see stores clearancing the old models soon like they did with the Original X1s lol, I know a few friends that wanna get a ps4 eventually

I was disappointed. Then I read digital foundry's hands on and now I'm all chubby for the Pro. All the butt hurt over native 4K vs upscaled 4K doesn't matter to me. I just want my games to be beautiful and play smoothly. DF is the gospel on image quality and they say the Pro is impressive. I'm in for the Pro, SUHD Samsung, and the best Uncharted 4 experience possible.

I was disappointed. Then I read digital foundry's hands on and now I'm all chubby for the Pro. All the butt hurt over native 4K vs upscaled 4K doesn't matter to me. I just want my games to be beautiful and play smoothly. DF is the gospel on image quality and they say the Pro is impressive. I'm in for the Pro, SUHD Samsung, and the best Uncharted 4 experience possible.
From a lot of what I've read, HDR is the real MVP here.

That's it?? Scorpio has this things number big time.
Scorpio only exists on paper at this time, essentially vaporware, so it isn't beating anything at the moment. And when the Scorpio finally releases next October it is likely going to have a pretty substantial price tag while Sony can cut the price of the Pro not to mention it'll have had a 1 year head start.. think about how this scenario has worked out in the past. I'll give you a hint, it doesn't favor the Scorpios position.

ps4 doen't have a 50% gpu advantage now. PS4 is at 1.84 Tflops and xbox one at 1.75 Tflops.

Going from 4.2 to 6 tflops is going to be a much more noticeable difference then xbone ps4.
Unsure where you are getting your numbers, but the Xbox One is 1.2 - 1.3 Tflops which is where the 50% PS4 graphical advantage comes from. The PS4 Pro is 4.2 Tflop or roughly 3.5x the power of the Xbox One. When the Scorpio releases it will only have a 50% advantage over the Pro so essentially the current scenario flipped where instead Microsoft has the power advantage, however Sony will have had 1 year on the market, will have a price advantage, will have the installed base, and is the lead platform for development. I doubt Sony has much to worry about contrary to what some people on forums would like to believe.

other than the lack of a 4k blu Ray, they compete just fine. It is a more powerful machine than the s so it should cost more.
It's funny how everyone cares about 4k bluray all of a sudden.. how much would this be an issue if it weren't for the Xbox One S? How many people actually own a single 4k bluray or even watch movies via physical media these day? Like you said, this is the more powerful gaming machine, and that is what this is primarily for.

I think Sony did a terrible job today of showing off the machines capability and really selling the machine. I think once people get their hands on these no matter if they are hooked to a 4k set or standard hdtv and start seeing the capabilities, the perception is going to change much like yours did once reading the digital foundry article.

I don't think Sony really thought they needed to give out everything on PS4 Pro which is an update to support VR, it's not a new generation console, and they have a comfortable sales figure ahead of XBone.

Brute force power is not the determining factor in winning the console war. It is the games and gaming experience provided.

PS3 lost to Wii, which barely better than GameCube, even PS3 is more power and features the only Blu-ray drive among all consoles in that generation, Blu-ray drive didn't help in the beginning as people were not picking up blu-ray yet at that time.

Even now many people are comfortable with DVD, let alone 4K video, I'm one of those don't care about 4K content, 1080P is good enough for me when I sit 7 feet away from my TV and I'm not going to sit close to my TV to count the pixels.

What I want to know is if it's still easy to replaced the hard drive. Still no external support, no 4k blu ray, which is quite disappointing. It also looked like shit. Looks good in the picture but crappy like ps3 slim in person. Also no backwards compatibility which was expected.

I guess they're just focusing on gaming by upgrading the gpu cpu and ram. If they did add the 4k player then that would've made them increase the price by at least a hundred. They'll probably come out with a new one after scorpio comes out next year and probably reveal it as neo.

I won't be getting one since it's ugly compared to the OG ps4, still no external support anyway and no 4k blu ray playback capability. I'm tempted to get one some time in the future to play games in 4k though.

Disappointed in the lack of a uhd blu-ray drive. Not sure if I should preorder or wait in the hope that there's a bundle for $300-350 at the end of the year, or maybe a used system on Craigslist.

It won't be able to do a native 4K, 60fps with a 6 TFLOP GPU, so it's going to be a compromise either way.
Neither will Scorpio. Maybe for indie games/forza but for most AAA titles? I highly doubt it. A high-end gaming PC ($2000+) is the way to go if you want to do native 4K/60FPS or wait till next gen (PS5/Xbox Two).

The Xbox One S does support HDR.

And regarding 4K streaming, it is certainly not the same quality as UHD BR, even if you have the bandwidth to support it.
I think he's talking about the original Xbox one with no HDR. All PS4 systems (original, slim, pro) will gain HDR support via firmware update based on what I read so far.

Luckily the PS VR comes out a little less than a month ahead of it.  If I love that thing and feel like it can perform better... I'd consider the upgrade (unless a limited version comes out, then I'm a sucker for those).

If HDR is important to you, make sure to buy a TV that actually gets bright enough to make HDR worthwhile. A lot of the cheap TVs aren't ultra HD premium certified.

Last edited:
Uhd blu-ray may have actually succeeded if Sony would have included it. Now, it'll probably remain a niche format and disc prices will remain high. 4k streaming looks no better than standard blu-ray, so this is incredibly disappointing.

bread's done
Back