PS4 Pro Preorders up

Aren't you the guy that always claimed that Nintendo was doing "fine" with the Wii U? I don't think this is "fine". In fact, I think very few people own 4k TV's. In another 3 years when the PS5 is out, very few people will still own 4k TV's.
I don't think I would have ever claimed that Nintendo was doing "fine" with the Wii U, as it's sales have been lackluster from day 1. I probably was the person who claimed that the Wii U is a good and worthwhile platform, and I stand by that assertion. The Wii U is great, and any serious gamer should own one by now.

I know that I was the guy who predicted the success of the original Wii a year before it came out, as well as the current dominance of the PS4, before it ever came out. Pretty much all of my predictions for developments in the video game industry have been spot-on. A major part of this has been my ability to divorce my personal inclinations from my analysis of industry trends. I'm a long-time Nintendo fan, but I predicted ahead of time that the Wii U faced an uphill battle, and would likely lose out to the PS4 and Xbox One. I wanted the Wii U to succeed, but I could tell from the evidence at hand that it would almost certainly fall behind.

What's clever about the PS4-Pro and the "Scorpio" is that neither company has to devote their entire strategy to them. They aren't designed or targeted to sell hot and heavy right out of the gate. They can adopt a slow-burn strategy, and lean on their existing, cheaper models to carry the line until 4K television adoption picks up. They're intentionally holding their "new" models back in order to prevent a similar scenario to what happened with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Figure I'll preorder one now because it is available and decide later if I want to cancel it or not. Curious to see how this performs with standard games such as Final Fantasy XV and such but the 4k (upscaled) "game play" videos they have shown are not fooling me. My hat they'll look that good and play that smoothly on release.
yeah i didnt really see the gameplay videos...but honestly i bought a "Regular 4k tv" and returned it had tried 4k bluray movies and put it side by side with my 1080p tv and didnt notice any difference at all! the idea i think of 4k is that you can sit closer to the tv without seeing pixels but if you are going to regularly sit when you'd normally sit with your 1080 p tv and get the exact same size tv that you already own for my case 55" then i think its useless.....though im waiting on black friday if i can get 65 samsung ks8000 for a decent deal as theyve recently gone on sale for 1699 maybe ...1699 with a 400 dell gift card or something then use that 400 to buy the pro then ill do it...im gonna wait and see

Might as well. A 4k player will cost you the same as a Xbox One S.
Yeah, and I'm not paying that much for it, especially when there aren't many titles I'm interested in... Mad Max is probably the only one. When Criterion moves to UHD, so will I.

I was just looking forward to the Neo as a bit of future-proofing, with the added bonus of slightly increased horsepower for games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figure I'll preorder one now because it is available and decide later if I want to cancel it or not. Curious to see how this performs with standard games such as Final Fantasy XV and such but the 4k (upscaled) "game play" videos they have shown are not fooling me. My hat they'll look that good and play that smoothly on release.
What will be really telling is if/when we get some 4K videos of these games running on the Pro. I want to be able to see Horizon running on the Pro on my 4K TV with 4K video. I honestly doubt it will be a huge difference, I have a 55" 4K set and honestly without sitting uncomfortably close to the TV the difference is minimal at best at that size, you really need something around 70" range to get the most out of 4K.

Yeah, and I'm not paying that much for it, especially when there aren't many titles I'm interested in... Mad Max is probably the only one. When Criterion moves to UHD, so will I.

I was just looking forward to the Neo as a bit of future-proofing, with the added bonus of slightly increased horsepower for games.
Yea I forgot to put if you're interested in 4k videos.

hmm i think its probably best to preorder and then likely cancel at the last second ...remember when the xbox one s came out and newegg on ebay had so many deals on the machine including 3 games and then free xbox live for a year...maybe the new ps 4 pro will be 399.99 with 3 new games at the time...then it'd be a good deal if it were say 399.99 with 3 triple a games...we'll have to wait and see.... i was originally thinking of getting rid of my xbox one s and ps4 and getting the pro but seems like s is probably going to stay because of 4k player :p....
I'm hoping for a crazy newegg bundle also.

I don't think I would have ever claimed that Nintendo was doing "fine" with the Wii U, as it's sales have been lackluster from day 1. I probably was the person who claimed that the Wii U is a good and worthwhile platform, and I stand by that assertion. The Wii U is great, and any serious gamer should own one by now.

I know that I was the guy who predicted the success of the original Wii a year before it came out, as well as the current dominance of the PS4, before it ever came out. Pretty much all of my predictions for developments in the video game industry have been spot-on. A major part of this has been my ability to divorce my personal inclinations from my analysis of industry trends. I'm a long-time Nintendo fan, but I predicted ahead of time that the Wii U faced an uphill battle, and would likely lose out to the PS4 and Xbox One. I wanted the Wii U to succeed, but I could tell from the evidence at hand that it would almost certainly fall behind.

What's clever about the PS4-Pro and the "Scorpio" is that neither company has to devote their entire strategy to them. They aren't designed or targeted to sell hot and heavy right out of the gate. They can adopt a slow-burn strategy, and lean on their existing, cheaper models to carry the line until 4K television adoption picks up. They're intentionally holding their "new" models back in order to prevent a similar scenario to what happened with the PS3 and Xbox 360.
And your prediction is that the Pro will what...just hang out on the shelf and wait for the price to drop? In 3 years when it's $300 they'll come out with the PS5....

Oh and for the record, my prediction on VR is that it's a gimmick that will fail.

Sony and Microsoft has pretty much said they are done with generations
They've said it...SORT OF. That doesn't mean that they won't release a numbered console that plays all the previous games much like the iPhone 7. If the plan is to release a new console every 3 years then....when Richard Kain is ready to upgrade there will be a PS5. Or PS Pro Slim or whatever....

4K gaming @ a decent framerate for $400? I'll believe it when I see it.

So glad I finally completed my switch to PC this year.

More like PlayStation Neo-nazi

Heheheheheheh

*Googles neo-nazi*
c51c5e08c3901c46109f833973f78edb73c74c18_hq.jpg

LMFAO Gamestop with the dickslap in the face only offering 125 trade in credit for the PS4 to upgrade to Neo/Pro.  Just wow,  Really figured it would least be 150.  Glad that I really dont see the point in the Neo esspecially since it doesnt even have a 4k blu ray player in it.

I wonder what peoplease are disappointed about other than maybe no 4k bluray player. We knew exactly what the neo was going to be.

I wonder what peoplease are disappointed about other than maybe no 4k bluray player. We knew exactly what the neo was going to be.
I think the no 4k blu ray player is the biggest issue. I mean while yes its more powerful GPU and CPU wise over the Xbox One S but it only scales games in 4k and no 4k blu ray player when the xbox one s does for same price? Just really makes no sense whatsoever. Ill prob just wait for Scorpio if I want an updated console because neo with no 4k blu ray player literally makes no friggin sense to me.

I was holding off on deciding between the ps4 pro , xbox one s or build a gaming pc.  I used an alienware alpha for a few months but don't think I utilized it enough. Building my own pc is probably a waste of money for the most part.  As for the ps4 pro, was hoping for uhd player, so for the price and a uhd player think xbox one s is the way to go. 

I think the no 4k blu ray player is the biggest issue. I mean while yes its more powerful GPU and CPU wise over the Xbox One S but it only scales games in 4k and no 4k blu ray player when the xbox one s does for same price? Just really makes no sense whatsoever. Ill prob just wait for Scorpio if I want an updated console because neo with no 4k blu ray player literally makes no friggin sense to me.
Absolutely the lack of 4K Blu-Ray support is the biggest issue. I am still getting one regardless, unless I change my mind at the last minute and cancel my pre-order. Luckily I will get to spend time with PSVR and HDR on my current PS4 before the Pro launches to make a final decision. I honestly wish they would have waited to release the Pro until early 2017, my wallet would be thankful and I also wouldn't be so on the fence about it right now. Just a lot of stuff coming out between now and November to make spending $400 a tough call.

I already came into this upset at Sony for raising ps+ prices, and not doing much for the vita. No handheld announcement and the Pro being bland just made things worse. You either die a hero or become the villain, and Sony just underwent a Seth Rollins heel turn, and we got hit in the back by a steel chair.

Also, I absolutely loved the Ps4's original design, just two slanted plates together. Why would you add a third? It's like the additions to the Genesis. You already have a perfect pair of breasts, why add a third and turn it into total recall?

Will wait til Black Friday. I already have a PS4 but wanted to upgrade mine..I upgraded my PS4 hard drive to the 2Tb so wouldnt know what to do with that. I dont buy any 4K blurays so really dont care much about that even though it would have been nice..but the 1TB drive is kind of disappointing

I'm mostly shocked how many people still buy physical movies. I thought most people just streamed now.
They do, but 4K streaming is very unreliable since the bandwidth required is available in such a small market.

I rarely buy movies unless they're gifts. The only times I've ever felt compelled to do so were for Criterion Collection movies or other releases with similar extras.

So if this machine just upscales to HDR and streams 4k do i even need it if i have a 4k TV? wont netflix hulu etc support 4k shows on the regular ps4 just the same? might be a dumb question but im not big on all the technical terms

I'm mostly shocked how many people still buy physical movies. I thought most people just streamed now.
Not everyone lives in a location with decent internet options. I live on a small farm so I can have horses.

My internet sucks and I can't stream much of anything. Especially not anything in 4k, 480p is tops for me. With my home datacap I can only stream using my iPhone.

I personally love buying physical media, I just like owning something tangible. I rent movies and stream them pretty often and of course use services like HBO Now, Netflix, Hulu, etc too. I just will always prefer the physical medium over the digital, especially when digital is rarely much cheaper, if at all. Also physical Blu-Rays will always look better than a stream.

My problem is why did Microsoft not add HDR to the xbox one? If Sony can do it, why can't MS?
The Xbox One S does support HDR.

And regarding 4K streaming, it is certainly not the same quality as UHD BR, even if you have the bandwidth to support it.

same price? Nah. The S is $100 cheaper and has a 4K bluray drive

What about downloading 4k movies?
that completely defeats the purpose of streaming

What if the HDR patch they are talking about is just meant to melt your current console? Then, all the people saying their current PS4 is fine just might upgrade.

same price? Nah. The S is $100 cheaper and has a 4K bluray drive

that completely defeats the purpose of streaming
Not 100 dollars cheaper, 50 but I get ur point, neo is 400, 1 tb xbox one s is 350.

Honestly I think i may just get the kickass looking Gears of war xbox one s for 450 since i sold my regular xbox one for 250 a week or so ago anticipating the neo but with the no 4kblu ray player id rather get the Xbox1S or just wait for Scorpio at this point.

They pulled a reverse Microsoft in terms of style. Ps4 was much better looking than the vcr one... But the slim and pro ps4, so disgusting looking. The x1S is so elegant compared.

I can't believe they put a 1TB in the PRO model when the Xbox One S 2TB has double that and 4K bluray support.

Sony really dropped the ball on this. I even had the money saved up to preorder this but after watching that I was just like "wow".

The console looks terrible to boot.
I think I've read report saying Xbox One S 2TB is a limited model and when they're gone, there will be no more but only 1TB officially.

I just replaced my PS4 hard drive with 2TB, an easy $95 task, and if using the Nyko rack, you can put up to 6TB 3.5" hard drive.

No 4K Blu-ray is disappointing though when they even claimed original PS4 would support 4K video initially.

I think I've read report saying Xbox One S 2TB is a limited model and when they're gone, there will be no more but only 1TB officially.

I just replaced my PS4 hard drive with 2TB, an easy $95 task, and if using the Nyko rack, you can put up to 6TB 3.5" hard drive.

No 4K Blu-ray is disappointing though when they even claimed original PS4 would support 4K video initially.
My PS4 has a 2TB drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178627 got it a while ago..Just wondering, with the PS4 Pro is it a SSD Drive(1TB) or just a regular drive..would it be possible for me to take out the 2TB out of my PS4 and put it in the new PS4 Pro would it work the same

Why does everyone keep saying 60fps, ffs 30fps is what they usually achieve. There is your bar.
Every game that supports the Pro should be hitting 1080/60 but I'm not sure why they even bothered with 4k support with those specs.

Anyway, I'm going to pre-order a Pro from Amazon to lock one in but I'll have to see how much of an actual improvement we get in 1080p games before committing.

bread's done
Back