PS4 Pro Preorders up

I was ready to preorder this thing but after the reveal im sticking with my original ps4. I dont have a 4k tv and dont plan on getting one anytime soon so this will be pointless for me. plus the design is very lazy, they just slapped 2 ps4 slims together and called it a day.

I'm still waiting to hear what framerate games will have in 4k. Can't imagine it being more than 30 since it's $400. No uhd blu-ray will force me to get an xbox.

Last edited:
It would have been a day one buy for me if it had the 4K Blu Ray playback capability, I've built up quite the collection instead of buying regular blu ray copies and would like to start watching them. Held off on the Xbox One S because the white aesthetic wouldn't fit for me ... oh well.

Well after researching this a bit more it seams it's a decent upgrade at best somewhere between 2 and 3 times more powerful with most of the power difference coming from the gpu. Ehhh I'll probably upgrade this holiday season honestly there would be more to complain about if the price wasn't 399.

I can't believe they put a 1TB in the PRO model when the Xbox One S 2TB has double that and 4K bluray support.

Sony really dropped the ball on this. I even had the money saved up to preorder this but after watching that I was just like "wow".

The console looks terrible to boot.
The Xbox S's premium model has 2TB. Its base model only has 500gb. They said they will announce 2 new models later, so one presumably will have 2TB, considering the PS4 had bundles that went that high. This was actually smart on their part bc announcing too much would take away from that nice price tag of $399. They dont want people reporting its $449 or $499

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have been a day one buy for me if it had the 4K Blu Ray playback capability, I've built up quite the collection instead of buying regular blu ray copies and would like to start watching them. Held off on the Xbox One S because the white aesthetic wouldn't fit for me ... oh well.

Look for black this holiday.

Kids this Christmas be like

Uy6zj2D.gif

Damn, I was looking forward to this but it doesn't seem impressive at all. I don't know crap about specs, but there's nothing that stands out to me about this, just 4k which I doubt will be useful to most seeing as how 4k tvs aren't that common yet. This is coming from a huge Sony fanboy here, but how did they drop the ball so hard after almost running the xbone into the ground. Guess you never know when the finish line is, and the race is still on.

apparently the pro will provide better framerate for games that support it(singleplayer) even if you don't have a 4k tv, crystal dynamics rep said during the sony live showfloor that theres basically 3 settings for tomb raider:

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max

Yeah but Scorpio will still be over a year away when the Pro launches. Sony sacrificing the power advantage to be first to market with their "pro" model.
Yeah but Scorpio will still be over a year away when the Pro launches. Sony sacrificing the power advantage to be first to market with their "pro" model.
MS has nothing to lose at this point. Releasing a year later might actually be more beneficial for them.

This thing is already a rotten carcass but goddamn my blood if it is confirmed that Bloodborne gets a visual/performance boost I'll have to buy one and hate myself forever.

apparently the pro will provide better framerate for games that support it(singleplayer) even if you don't have a 4k tv, crystal dynamics rep said during the sony live showfloor that theres basically 3 settings for tomb raider:

- 4K mode, the big resolution and developers made the optimal choices

- 1080p high framerate, the game running at >45 FPS targeting 60

- 1080p bells and whistles, 30 FPS locked with every processing technique pushed to the max
List of PS4 Pro Compatible Games

RELEASED TITLES

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Killing Floor 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Infamous: First Light
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Paragon
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3

UNRELEASED TITLES

Spider Man
For Honor
Watch Dogs 2
Days Gone
Farpoint (PSVR)
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Mass Effect Andromeda
Final Fantasy XV
Dishonored 2
Skyrim Special Edition

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/List_of_PlayStation_4_Pro_Forward_Compatibilty_Games

pretty underwhelming, surprised sony dropped the ball like this. launch ps4 will be fine for the forseeable future
I marvel at the lack of perspective from so many on this forum. This is the argument I keep hearing. "It's not enough to convince me to upgrade, I'll just stick with my current PS4!"

You do realize that Sony isn't trying to sell this thing to you, right? If you already own a PS4, they don't need you to buy a PS4-Pro. This thing is designed to be sold to people who just got a 4K screen, and want a video game system that can play 4K games. Ideally, these would be customers who DON'T already own a PS4. Existing PS4 customers are already buying and playing PS4 games, and their current strategy will continue to provide those games to those customers.

Now, like so many others, I am confused by the lack of 4K Blu-Ray support. This support does not require a special Blu-Ray drive. It does not require more expensive hardware. It is very odd that they would not provide this support, especially considering that Sony is one of the studios releasing 4K Blu-Rays. That one is a head-scratcher, and I understand the complaints over this missing feature.

But for the nay-sayers, I can assure you that the PS4-Pro is a smart move on Sony's part. It gives them a foot into the 4K gaming space that will bring them to market ahead of Microsoft, and for a lower price. The $400 price tag for the PS4-Pro is fantastic, just the right price. It won't convince most existing customers to upgrade, but it will be a viable premium model for those looking to bump up to 4K support, or acquire their first PS4.

And everyone stop wining over the hard drive. A double-size hard drive over the previous model is not a bad upgrade. And they are still providing the ability to swap it out with whatever size you prefer. (just like you can for the existing PS4)

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed to. Went from a first day buy to probably won't buy at all.
Somewhat inclined to agree. I may hold off to see Scorpio vs PS4P before jumping in since my current display is only 1080p and is not HDR capable. Very surprised about the lack of UHD BR on this thing and would not be surprised to see if preorders are open for a decent amount of time

Umm... yeah... I'm not very impressed...

There's no talk of like guaranteed 60FPS at the very least... 4k is nice but running at 30FPS is a joke...

Also 4k resolution is one thing... what about the settings it's running in? low/med/high/ultra? we need answers
That 60fps is the only thing I'm interested if I'm upgrading. Like you said, there's no statement on it at all. I want to be able to at least run all games at 1080p @60fps 95% of the time v-sync'd if I chose to not use 4K. I can tolerate occasional minor dips within 10fps but not much more. Low/med/high/ultra options would be great to have to achieve that end goal, but this is consoles we are talking about so at most you get a smooth/pretty option. I'm afraid most developers are just gonna crank the graphics up and neglect frame rate like they always do. They love to choke these game boxes to death because they know graphics sells. Ideally, the extra horsepower should retain current gen graphics but improves framerate to 60fps. Only those games that are already 60fps should get a bit more eye candies. Of course, that's just dreaming.

For those who are talking about Pro vs Scorpio, it doesn't matter which has more power if you already have a gaming PC. You only need the PS4 because everything on the Xbox One/Scorpio is on the PS4 or PC with the Play Anywhere program. However, you cannot say the same for PS4 games as there are tons of games on that console that's not on the PC or Xbox, especially Japanese games which Xbox lost completely this gen. Of course, if you don't have a gaming PC, then you'll need both so comparing them is useless in either situation.

I marvel at the lack of perspective from so many on this forum. This is the argument I keep hearing. "It's not enough to convince me to upgrade, I'll just stick with my current PS4!"

You do realize that Sony isn't trying to sell this thing to you, right? If you already own a PS4, they don't need you to buy a PS4-Pro. This thing is designed to be sold to people who just got a 4K screen, and want a video game system that can play 4K games. Ideally, these would be customers who DON'T already own a PS4. Existing PS4 customers are already buying and playing PS4 games, and their current strategy will continue to provide those games to those customers.

Now, like so many others, I am confused by the lack of 4K Blu-Ray support. This support does not require a special Blu-Ray drive. It does not require more expensive hardware. It is very odd that they would not provide this support, especially considering that Sony is one of the studios releasing 4K Blu-Rays. That one is a head-scratcher, and I understand the complaints over this missing feature.

But for the nay-sayers, I can assure you that the PS4-Pro is a smart move on Sony's part. It gives them a foot into the 4K gaming space that will bring them to market ahead of Microsoft, and for a lower price. The $400 price tag for the PS4-Pro is fantastic, just the right price. It won't convince most existing customers to upgrade, but it will be a viable premium model for those looking to bump up to 4K support, or acquire their first PS4.

And everyone stop wining over the hard drive. A double-size hard drive over the previous model is not a bad upgrade. And they are still providing the ability to swap it out with whatever size you prefer. (just like you can for the existing PS4)
hey if you are happy with it good deal. people on this site i'd say are pretty serious about gaming and i'm in that boat. I get pretty much every system when it comes out but something seems off here. Sony has been firing on all cylinders for a while, but this is not impressive.

I am woefully disappointed by the lack of 4K Blu-Ray support, but I still put in a pre-order at Best Buy regardless. I believe the extra power and 4K support will give me enough reason to own one. As a 4K TV owner I am constantly looking for more content and I understand this isn't true 4K, but it's still an improvement, just a damn shame I'll have to wait for the Scorpio to dip my toes into the UHD Blu-Ray waters. 

I'm still going to exchange my ps4 for a pro. I'm hoping it will allow for higher frame rates for psvr games
That's my hope is that it gives me a better experience with the VR, which is the primarily reason for pre-ordering one for me. This Fall has become extremely expensive, more so than it already was!

No you don't. The Xbox One S already has UHD BR.
I don't want the One S though, I already own an Xbox One and would rather wait for the Scorpio. I'd literally be buying the One S for the sole purpose of playing UHD Blu-Rays and that isn't worth it to me. Same reason I haven't dropped the cash on a 4K Player yet. The lack of UHD support for the Pro sucks, but there are a lot more pluses to it than the One S as a second PS4 console. A big plus for me personally will be that I can move my current PS4 into my Game Room so that my girlfriend can play Fallout 4 and whatever else she wants while I enjoy the Pro on my 4K TV in the Living Room.

hey if you are happy with it good deal. people on this site i'd say are pretty serious about gaming and i'm in that boat. I get pretty much every system when it comes out but something seems off here. Sony has been firing on all cylinders for a while, but this is not impressive.
I get that. And for the record, I'm NOT getting one of these. At least, certainly not right now.

But it's worth looking at this from a more strategic perspective. And from that perspective, the PS4-Pro makes a lot of sense. It's not a huge performance upgrade, because it does not need to be. It isn't going to convince a bunch of current PS4 owners to switch over, because it doesn't need to. It is not as impressive as some hard-core gamers were hoping, because it doesn't need to be.

I already have a PS4 and I don't have a 4K screen. I'm not going to get one of these things, I don't need one. But a few years from now, when I do get a 4K screen, I'm going to take a second look at upgrading, or just to pick up an extra PS4 system. Sony isn't going to get me to buy one now, but they could get me to buy one later. And I'm already a PS4 owner, so they can still make money off of me without getting me to bump up to a PS4-Pro. By keeping the features and price incremental, the PS4-Pro is going to be more affordable in a few years. If I wait, I will be able to pick one up for $300, around the same time that the core PS4-Slim will have dropped into the $200 sweet-spot for mass-market console sales.

I already have a regular Xone so I'm not going to buy an S just for UHD. He's probably in the same boat.
You'd be correct! I have however thought about getting my Dad one for Christmas this year as he wants a new console and a 4K Blu-Ray Player, so it'd be perfect for him. The Pro IMO is only worth getting if you already have or plan on getting a 4K TV and PS VR, otherwise it's not worth it.

So in preparing for the upgrade does anyone know a trick to keep my digital copy of PT?
All you have to do is back-up your data onto an external harddrive, then restore it back on the upgraded drive. You can delete everything and just keep P.T. installed if that's mainly what you'd like to keep. Everything else would have to be re-downloaded if that's the case.

I switched to a 2 TB at the beginning of the year. It's very easy. And, I still have P.T.!

I think the reason for Sony not including a UHD Player in the Pro may be because they actually haven't released a player yet. Sony's first player doesn't come out until early 2017. If that's the case, why not delay the Pro and add in the functionality?

PlayStation and media have always gone hand-in-hand. PS1 was one of my first CD players. PS2 was my first DVD player. PS3 was my first Blu-Ray player. Shame Pro won't be my first UHD player.

I agree that this reveal was pretty disappointing.  I'll still preorder one just in case though.  I'm hoping that if VR takes off, and this gives a nice bump to framerates - it may be worth it in the end.  

I don't really want this because I don't have a 4k TV and I honestly couldn't see any difference on my monitor when watching the video...of course my monitor is 1080p. I would still consider the upgrade if I could get enough cash for a trade-in of my old PS4. IMO Sony themselves should be selling the new Pro and taking trade-in's because I was not expecting a mid-cycle upgrade. It's fucking lame.

I get that. And for the record, I'm NOT getting one of these. At least, certainly not right now.

But it's worth looking at this from a more strategic perspective. And from that perspective, the PS4-Pro makes a lot of sense. It's not a huge performance upgrade, because it does not need to be. It isn't going to convince a bunch of current PS4 owners to switch over, because it doesn't need to. It is not as impressive as some hard-core gamers were hoping, because it doesn't need to be.

I already have a PS4 and I don't have a 4K screen. I'm not going to get one of these things, I don't need one. But a few years from now, when I do get a 4K screen, I'm going to take a second look at upgrading, or just to pick up an extra PS4 system. Sony isn't going to get me to buy one now, but they could get me to buy one later. And I'm already a PS4 owner, so they can still make money off of me without getting me to bump up to a PS4-Pro. By keeping the features and price incremental, the PS4-Pro is going to be more affordable in a few years. If I wait, I will be able to pick one up for $300, around the same time that the core PS4-Slim will have dropped into the $200 sweet-spot for mass-market console sales.
Aren't you the guy that always claimed that Nintendo was doing "fine" with the Wii U? I don't think this is "fine". In fact, I think very few people own 4k TV's. In another 3 years when the PS5 is out, very few people will still own 4k TV's.

Hmm, I estimate maybe getting $150 for OG PS4. Trading up to PS4Pro, would then cost you: ~$250.

That's for the benefits of:

- improved PSVR

- 4K gaming / improved performance

definitely lost out on adding in 4K bluray support :(

I'm not even completely sold on PSVR yet, considering Sony's track record of dropping support for things so easily. The library needs to get up there.  I wish we knew how long Sony plans to keep with PS4 before the PS5, to compete with Scorpio.  If it's only a couple of years, I may just stick with OG PS4 and get Scorpio in 2017.

The list of PS4Pro games has to increase dramatically for the value to be worth it.  I have no time to replay older games when my current backlog is already super long and doesn't include those old titles that.

I think waiting is the best course of action, unless you got a 4K TV, money to burn, and a need for the best looking games.  If there's a good deal on a quality 4K TV this BF, it may tip the scales.  

So how much power does this thing have. Someone in this thread wrote 4.2 teraflops and if that's true then that means the Xbox Scorpio will have a 50% gpu advantage at 6 teraflops at least. If so isn't that almost the same power difference between the ps4 and one right now.
Sure but you can actually get a PS4 Pro a year sooner. Hard to sell Scorpios this Holiday season when they don't come out till about this time next year. Probably another year of losing ground to Sony.

I will probably stay with my PS4 and XBox One fatties though.

I'm still getting one but I can't believe they were trying to convince people this is worth getting with a stream that looked like this:

Why can't Sony stream a video anywhere near 1080p? Their E3 stream also looked this bad most of time while the Xbox E3 conference was crisp 1080p. The trailers that they stream on the PSStore are also below SD quality. :nottalking:

I don't really want this because I don't have a 4k TV and I honestly couldn't see any difference on my monitor when watching the video...of course my monitor is 1080p. I would still consider the upgrade if I could get enough cash for a trade-in of my old PS4. IMO Sony themselves should be selling the new Pro and taking trade-in's because I was not expecting a mid-cycle upgrade. It's fucking lame.

Aren't you the guy that always claimed that Nintendo was doing "fine" with the Wii U? I don't think this is "fine". In fact, I think very few people own 4k TV's. In another 3 years when the PS5 is out, very few people will still own 4k TV's.
You my friend are not the market for the PS4 Pro. The games will be the same games you are playing on your current PS4, they will just look a little better and will probably load a bit faster, without the 4K TV and PS VR though you really aren't missing much and HDR is coming to the current PS4 via a firmware update, which also won't make a difference for those who don't own 4K TVs.

Other then the Blu Ray drive what is missing from the rumored Neo specs? This is exactly what we thought it would be. We knew it wouldn't have Scorpio power.

hmm i think its probably best to preorder and then likely cancel at the last second ...remember when the xbox one s came out and newegg on ebay had so many deals on the machine including 3 games and then free xbox live for a year...maybe the new ps 4 pro will be 399.99 with 3 new games at the time...then it'd be a good deal if it were say 399.99 with 3 triple a games...we'll have to wait and see.... i was originally thinking of getting rid of my xbox one s and ps4 and getting the pro but seems like s is probably going to stay because of 4k player :p....

Figure I'll preorder one now because it is available and decide later if I want to cancel it or not. Curious to see how this performs with standard games such as Final Fantasy XV and such but the 4k (upscaled) "game play" videos they have shown are not fooling me. My hat they'll look that good and play that smoothly on release. 

bread's done
Back