PS4 Pro Preorders up

I think Sony is going to get burned badly on these decisions. The same way they pulled ahead late last generation, likely thanks to Blu-ray gaining support, 4K/UHD is only going to get more popular which will highly benefit Microsoft. Who knows what the Scorpio will be, but committing to a new slim console with no 4K support that costs the same as the Xbox One S? Baffling.

yeah, i got my ps4pro preorder.   Wasn't too excited about the design, and no UHD blu ray was laughable.  

1TB only option kind of whatever, but i'm gonna put my current 2TB in there anyway after i backup my ps4.  

a 4TB SSD for $1499.99, haha, the price of 3 PS4Pros.  

I wonder if the PS4 Pro Master Race will look down on us regular PS4 users.
Yes, we will all brag about how much better our games run in an attempt to justify our $400 purchases.

Joking aside I am looking forward to picking up my Pro. It'll allow me to put my current PS4 into my game room so that my girlfriend can play her games while I get more time playing mine!

I wonder if the PS4 Pro Master Race will look down on us regular PS4 users.
the last laugh will be with OG PS4 users.

wait a year. Scorpio releases and Sony will drop the price of PS4Pro down $50 or $100 to counter, no doubt. reap the benefits of more Pro supported games at a lower cost.

that is unless Scorpio is price ridiculously high. Microsoft has been taking jabs at Sony on twitter from all their PR heads. for now, all they have are numbers on a piece of paper. we'll see if they'll remain as arrogant when they have to announce the price point of the thing.

if it's at $399, then it's game on. anything more and they'll have to push the marketing and PR to justify the costs, since Sony will have lead, marketshare, exclusives. MS works against itself since allowing Play Anywhere; PC gamers will invest in a GPU that outclasses Scorpio.

So catching back up, is there any confirmation that the PS4 Pro will make older titles run at a better/more stable FPS?  I've held off on getting a PS4 for a more powerful one to run the exclusives I want at the best possible frame rate.  

So catching back up, is there any confirmation that the PS4 Pro will make older titles run at a better/more stable FPS? I've held off on getting a PS4 for a more powerful one to run the exclusives I want at the best possible frame rate.
Well in an interview given I think the day of the PS Experience presser the Pres of sony said that the update to support HDR on certain games would cost money which basically means if you want your games to play better on the pro then your gonna have to fork out even more money. I find it halrious that at first sony said they HDR upgrade would be free and now all the sudden it isnt. How many more times can sony shoot themselves in the foot this week.

People be acting like xbox one S is so much better than the ps4 pro lol and Scorpio isn't coming out until about a year later. I didn't expect pro to be more powerful than Scorpio unless they actually announced that it was actually coming out next year instead of this year.

Didn't know Seagate had a 4TB HDD, good fact to know, though not applicable for the PS4 and most laptops.

Let me state this again, since you missed it the first time, about the drive thickness:

There are drives that are larger than 2TB, though since the PS4 won't support anything thicker than a 9.5mm drive, you're limited to what drives work. There's a WD drive that is 3TB as is a Toshiba drive that is also 3TB, plus this newly found Seagate 4TB, though they are all 15mm high, so they're too thick for the PS4.

The PS4 can't have a 2.5" drive installed that is thicker than 9.5mm high, so any drive has to be that thin or thinner.

The 4TB Samsung Evo 4TB SSD is 7mm thick and will work in the PS4, since it's the right width and as thin or thinner than 9.5mm thick. Or any other >2TB SSD that is SATA3 and not SAS, M.2, PCI-E or some other non-SATA interface. AFAIK, the Samsung 850 Evo 4TB is the only one that would work.
So just to confirm..will the 2TB Samsung M003 that I have right now work with the PS4 Pro?

If it is in a PS4 now, it'll work in the PS4 Pro.

This would have been a good time to increase the drive bay height with that extra tier they tossed on it like a three tier cake.
Yeah the whole setup just looks weird not sure what the other layers are all about or what they have..good Im glad that my hard drive will work if gamestop does a credit promo offering 200+ for it like they did before I will upgrade, why not mind as well..I dont mind redownloading everything just wanted to make sure that it works..I doubt Sony releases another console next yr around this time its not like the iphone LOL

Caved and put $120 down on a PRO pre order at GameStop. Honestly it's just gonna bother me knowing I could be playing the pro version of a game. That and my brother has been nagging me that he wants a ps4 so I'll be passing down my pleb ps4 to him.

From looking at the pictures of the PS4 Pro, it looks like Sony could make a PS4 Pro Slim later on.

ps4-pro-1.jpg

I'm getting one but man the lack of Ultra blu ray support is bad. I can't believe they bothered mentioning Netflix and Youtube. 4K tvs already have those built in. And gaming wise it's only scratching the surface of 4K anyways. Few games ill be native 4K but most will be upscaled, granted that supposedly the new upscaling technique is as good as it gets without actually being 4K. It's just strange to go into that when games on the Pro aren't guaranteed to to do 1080p @ 60fps. Tomb Raider for example will but it's not locked and fidelity is compromised.

It's just weird. I bet you Sony feels burned after MS announced their next gen system Scorpio. And then both it and Xbox One S both have 4K blu ray players. They took Sony's ball and are running with it. Sony was probably planing on launching PS5 2019, but I am almost certain Scorpio just pushed it to 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in an interview given I think the day of the PS Experience presser the Pres of sony said that the update to support HDR on certain games would cost money which basically means if you want your games to play better on the pro then your gonna have to fork out even more money. I find it halrious that at first sony said they HDR upgrade would be free and now all the sudden it isnt. How many more times can sony shoot themselves in the foot this week.
This was incorrect information which Sony has since corrected: Report: PS4 4K HDR Patches Are Free, Despite Earlier Info

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUb63Dc7-Bw[/media]

Digital Foundry thinks Youtube shitty streaming might have undersold the PRO's benefit. 

Saw people mentioning the nyko 3.5 hdd bay
Wanted to chim in to say DO NOT BUY THOSE !
It's been proven to corrupt any and all hdd's over 2tb & possibly kill your ps4.
It usually works for the first month than problems start arising. One person found out that leaving the ps4 on standby forever stopped the hdd from corrupting but than their ps4 died.
It's gotten so bad that Nyko had to reword the packaging to say it does not work or warranties with use of hdd over 2tb.

Saw people mentioning the nyko 3.5 hdd bay
Wanted to chim in to say DO NOT BUY THOSE !
It's been proven to corrupt any and all hdd's over 2tb & possibly kill your ps4.
It usually works for the first month than problems start arising. One person found out that leaving the ps4 on standby forever stopped the hdd from corrupting but than their ps4 died.
It's gotten so bad that Nyko had to reword the packaging to say it does not work or warranties with use of hdd over 2tb.
are you sure that is the bay doing that? sounds like the same problem people were having that were putting in hard drives that were bigger than the operating system could properly identify. the update made up to 4 tb work but the previous max was 2 tb.

Ill pass on the pro for now, not enough of an update to justify buying a new system. Better luck next time sony

My point is that for uneducated consumers (the majority of them), a power difference isn't a "box feature" but a 4k bluray player is. So when they compare the two, the Xbox S stands out.

Though you are correct, games and friends drive a lot of choices.
Lots of armchair game analysts in this thread, but I nominate this for hottest take.

Uneducated consumers apparently know what Ultra HD Blu-ray even IS, considering Best Buy's section for them is -literally- 4x4 ft, and they are priced higher and rarely see the kind of sales Blu-rays have. But those uneducated consumers who haven't been buying Xbox One up to this point, will make the switch or the jump for this feature of a system that doesn't have a release date, price, or specs.

Not saying the Pro is better in any way, but for the "uneducated consumer", 4K Blu-Ray capabilities won't be at the top of their list.

are you sure that is the bay doing that? sounds like the same problem people were having that were putting in hard drives that were bigger than the operating system could properly identify. the update made up to 4 tb work but the previous max was 2 tb.
Just looked it up, seems the update helped a little but only just recently was another update released that allowed suspend mode to work on over 2tb.
But i still see that slow menu & game loading issues are present along with the ps4 running hot.

I remember last gen people upgrading to the Xbox 360 Elite which offered slight aesthetic differences, larger hard drive and built in wifi/hdmi and came with a price increase and people were buying that up like crazy.

Now you have a system in the PS4 Pro that not only offers improved wifi, double the hard drive space, different aesthetics, but also offers support for 4k TVs and enhances the 1080p experience and is offered at only a slight premium over the originals price..  people are silly to think this thing isn't a substantial upgrade and that it isn't going to sell.

I personally think once this thing hits shelves and people see what the machine can do including what it does for standard 1080p sets, word of mouth is going to make these machines fly off shelves.

How much noise does a 3.5 Desktop HD make in one of those Nyko boxes? Has to made a decent amount of noise no?
I have one of them with a 6tb hard drive in it, and the drive itself makes no noise. The only noise I ever get is the PS4 vibrating, and the case of the Nyko thing rattling from that, but if I take off the cover, or adjust it there is no noise. It works really well, and sleep mode now works as well.

Lots of armchair game analysts in this thread, but I nominate this for hottest take.

Uneducated consumers apparently know what Ultra HD Blu-ray even IS, considering Best Buy's section for them is -literally- 4x4 ft, and they are priced higher and rarely see the kind of sales Blu-rays have. But those uneducated consumers who haven't been buying Xbox One up to this point, will make the switch or the jump for this feature of a system that doesn't have a release date, price, or specs.

Not saying the Pro is better in any way, but for the "uneducated consumer", 4K Blu-Ray capabilities won't be at the top of their list.
Yeah I'd say if consumers do choose Xbox it'll be for everything but the 4K bluray. Considering blurays slower adoption than dvd 4K bluray is sure to be even below that. And while I'm sure there'll be some that will be swayed into purchasing an Xbox one/scorpio because of its 4K bluray support I just don't think it'll be a significant amount. I honestly think more people will be swayed by Xbox increasing line up of quality exclusives and its tighter Windows integration than its 4K drive.

I'm just going to buy whichever has the best bundle around or after the holidays. It will be my first PS4, so I can't compare it to anything. I would definitely prefer the 1tb though. Either way, Slim or Pro, I win.

Yeah I'd say if consumers do choose Xbox it'll be for everything but the 4K bluray. Considering blurays slower adoption than dvd 4K bluray is sure to be even below that. And while I'm sure there'll be some that will be swayed into purchasing an Xbox one/scorpio because of its 4K bluray support I just don't think it'll be a significant amount. I honestly think more people will be swayed by Xbox increasing line up of quality exclusives and its tighter Windows integration than its 4K drive.
Hopefully gears and record review well. Xbox exclusives havent been knocking it out of the park.

Damn i been waiting to get this ps4 to also pick up the vr set, but super disappointed that it has no 4K. I guess now I'll wait a bit longer for a price drop.

Why the heck did they bring back the capacitive buttons??  I've been waiting to trade in my launch console that randomly ejects discs and turns itself on in the middle of the night.  I seriously hope they permanently resolved that issue. 

You'd be surprised how many customers come in and specifically ask for the 4k bluray section.

Are we? Need to clarify that then because Console exclusive and exclusive are different things. The person I quoted just exclusives. Never said Console exclusive.
We are discussing items that would sway ones purchase choice between the two consoles. Common sense says that we are talking about console exclusives.

We are discussing items that would sway ones purchase choice between the two consoles. Common sense says that we are talking about console exclusives.
Next time be more clear then. When you just say exclusive it means only on one system. That's how its always been.

Clearly we were talking about two different things then so I'll just bow out.

I also totally forgot that Gears and Recore are coming to PC as well so they werent even a part of what i was discussing.

Uncharted 4?
The single player was very good if a bit slow to get going. I wasn't too happy that didn't have co-op which still hasn't been patched in right? I returned my copy (GS Rental). I love UC but was really let down they don't seem to care much about the co op anymore. I will likely pick it up again but who knows when with Gears 4 coming out next month. If they don't have dedicated servers for the co op I might not bother. The co op was fun in UC3 but it sucked badly when one of the others quit and the game ended.

MP was ok but isn't really my thing anymore.

bread's done
Back