PSA Best Buy now giving refunds for Cyberpunk 2077

Smithers123

CAGiversary!
Best Buy announced on Friday that it will refund purchases of Cyberpunk 2077 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One — even if the game has been opened — joining Sony, Microsoft, and the game’s publisher itself in giving disappointed fans their money bank.

Best Buy says it will accept returns and issue refunds for the game through Dec. 21, 2020. It’s a remarkable departure from the big-box retailer’s standard refund policy, which does not accept opened games.

This exception covers Cyberpunk 2077 and its Collector’s Edition on PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One versions of Cyberpunk 2077, its collector’s edition, and the digital download code sold in stores.

Customers can bring the game to their local Best Buy for a refund, or return it by mail.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/18/22189309/best-buy-cyberpunk-2077-refunds-how-where-xbox-one-ps4

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing on ps5 and enjoying it...
Based on videos, the game seems to run fine on the PS5... but most everything I've seen on the PS4, it just looks bad. Even the PS4 Pro version.

Also PSA, if you're returning the game via mail- maybe consider not using UPS or FedEx drop boxes. I dropped off my return package in a UPS box and it got stuck half away though so it's jammed in there and the door won't open but someone could pull it out with some effort/damaging the box. This was Friday noon (before the 6:30 pick up time... I checked this morning on the way to get breakfast and they still haven't picked it up.:whistle2:/

Based on videos, the game seems to run fine on the PS5... but most everything I've seen on the PS4, it just looks bad. Even the PS4 Pro version.
There does seem to be a glitch on ps5 where the last patch made it crash tho here has been a new patch yesterday so maybe it fixes it.

I agree on ps4 pro it doesnt look like a huge improvement. They actually dont have any ps5s here I wanted to buy one. A new ps4 pro is 400€ almost while the ps5 without bluray is 400€ too. Completely ridiculous.

How could you have a class action lawsuit when they are already apologizing publicly and even suggesting disappointed customers can refund?
Lying/deceiving shareholders who are owners of the company is a big no-no. Can’t return shares.

How could you have a class action lawsuit when they are already apologizing publicly and even suggesting disappointed customers can refund?
Investors lost money on this, a lot of money. When you're on record for "runs surprisingly well on last generation consoles" during shareholder meetings two months before it released, and it's a lie, that's grounds for a suit. They may very well burn to the ground over this one.

Went to the Best Buy in City of Orange and returned my copy there. The girl didn't even ask me about returning the steelbook. I bet she didn't even know about that. I then went to my Best Buy and picked up my steelbook. So I ended up basically returning the game and still getting the free steelbook.

Went to the Best Buy in City of Orange and returned my copy there. The girl didn't even ask me about returning the steelbook. I bet she didn't even know about that. I then went to my Best Buy and picked up my steelbook. So I ended up basically returning the game and still getting the free steelbook.
Best check your account to make sure you didn't actually get charged $19.99+tax for the steelbook. I didn't pick up my pre-order but the steelbook was shipped to me so I have to return it to get the full amount refunded to my credit card.

Have you played the game yet?
they withheld info about last gen versions which ended up blowing up in media and being main cause of returns from consumers and investors. They legally can’t do that to investors.

Sadly they won’t suffer any consequences directly for paying staff min wage and for crunch time since 2019 (and lying about it, even after staff has leaked they were crunching some teams for a while) but at least their execs are losing the money they gained from exploiting their staff

When you piss off rich folk, you fucked up. I'm guessing that is what happened here and it's a damn shame all this drama is happening to this game because it's fucking beautiful on Series X. I just hope it survives this to get a sequel in a few years and we haven't seen the last of Cyberpunk.

An apology means nothing, you still lied and deceived paying customers. Some people can get a refund, but not all. If you bought a digital code from a store, you can not get a refund for that. If you bought from some stores you can get a refund for physical copies but other stores aren't so quick to accept refunds on open games. Even some that do will likely charge a restocking fee for it being opened.

It's a big problem that no apology will fix entirely.

they withheld info about last gen versions which ended up blowing up in media and being main cause of returns from consumers and investors. They legally can’t do that to investors.

Sadly they won’t suffer any consequences directly for paying staff min wage and for crunch time since 2019 (and lying about it, even after staff has leaked they were crunching some teams for a while) but at least their execs are losing the money they gained from exploiting their staff
I’m not a shareholder so I’m not concerned about that. I take it you are a shareholder but haven’t played the game?

When you piss off rich folk, you fucked up. I'm guessing that is what happened here and it's a damn shame all this drama is happening to this game because it's fucking beautiful on Series X. I just hope it survives this to get a sequel in a few years and we haven't seen the last of Cyberpunk.
Agreed. I'm enjoying it

I'm not going to request a refund, but it's really pretty staggering how average this game is. I'm sort of enjoying it (?) on my high-end PC, but I'm still waiting for the story to become memorable or for me to care about any of the characters. The Witcher 3 was such a masterclass that this, aside from the graphics which really are stellar for the most part - on PC), it's just.... meh? 

What happens with earned rewards certs upon a return? I returned my 3x Cyberpunk 2077 copies and I know I earned a $10 cert from that plus the standard $5 cert for the points. 

I know for certs used, the cert just gets re-issued but I've never returned an item wherein buying the item resulted in a rewards cert being issued. 

I'm having a great time. Probably put in 30 hours now. Hacking is a real neat addition to a fallout style game, and once they flesh it out it's gonna be pretty remarkable, I think. It's just a little barebones right now on the RPG front. 1 house, can't upgrade it, etc.

So I filled out the return form that was emailed to me and requested a steam version in exchange. Not sure where I will be sending the PS4 version and what they will do with all the returns? Strange days:)

So I filled out the return form that was emailed to me and requested a steam version in exchange. Not sure where I will be sending the PS4 version and what they will do with all the returns? Strange days:)
Sounds like they're going to provide you a label to send the disc back (it was one of the check boxes on the new form).

But, yeah, wonder what they're going to do with all the extras lol

I have a feeling they’re just trying to limit the number of people saying they want a refund by scaring them away from potentially having to mail a copy back to them. If they actually do pay for return shipping it’ll be even more of a financial hit and sort of a logistics nightmare. I guess with how messy the launch was there’s no way of knowing what disaster they have planned next

I have a feeling they’re just trying to limit the number of people saying they want a refund by scaring them away from potentially having to mail a copy back to them. If they actually do pay for return shipping it’ll be even more of a financial hit and sort of a logistics nightmare. I guess with how messy the launch was there’s no way of knowing what disaster they have planned next
Yeah that could be a possibility......which means we will have to wait until the form exchange offer expires to receive the steam game. They wouldn't want it known that people can keep their copy and still get a pc version. I thought it was funny that a box had to be checked stating that we promise to send in the copy:) I am still a bit shocked that it has come to this.

I am still pondering about ym CE.  I didn;t open yet, when is the last day i can return it?  I plan on keeping it if i can sell the statue but ni buyer yet

Is this game dead in the water, or just for now? I wasn’t planning on buying it until I had my hands on a PS5, but the flak on the game has been immense.

I imagine in a month or two when this game gets a ‘true’ PS5/Series X release, it’s going to be one of the beat games to have released, and all the people getting refunds will just rebuy it. In which case, seems like a lot of work to get a refund instead of just waiting for when you can upgrade to the next gen version for free which at time of release should play to peak performance.

But I suppose that’s me only counting people who bought/plan to buy the next gen consoles, and I can see why those who are sticking with their PS4 Pro/X One X would be miffed and want a refund now.

Is this game dead in the water, or just for now? I wasn’t planning on buying it until I had my hands on a PS5, but the flak on the game has been immense.

I imagine in a month or two when this game gets a ‘true’ PS5/Series X release, it’s going to be one of the beat games to have released, and all the people getting refunds will just rebuy it. In which case, seems like a lot of work to get a refund instead of just waiting for when you can upgrade to the next gen version for free which at time of release should play to peak performance.

But I suppose that’s me only counting people who bought/plan to buy the next gen consoles, and I can see why those who are sticking with their PS4 Pro/X One X would be miffed and want a refund now.
I hope you are right but am afraid that I personally have lost a significant amount of desire to play this game. I did initiate an exchange for the PC version through CDP but have since decided to just sell my ps4 copy. I imagine when the exchange time comes there will be an option that tells them I no longer have my copy........

They could’ve saved themselves a lot of trouble if they announced earlier in the year that this is a PS5/Series X game, slapped new gen artwork on the box, and then said “play at your own risk” for previous gen. I’m not sure why they were so hellbent on making this a PS4/X1 release when it seems like a lot of the delays were around getting it to actually work on those systems.

They could’ve saved themselves a lot of trouble if they announced earlier in the year that this is a PS5/Series X game, slapped new gen artwork on the box, and then said “play at your own risk” for previous gen. I’m not sure why they were so hellbent on making this a PS4/X1 release when it seems like a lot of the delays were around getting it to actually work on those systems.
They were too committed to the older gen base. it's still significantly older than ps5/xsx, and afaik neither company would let someone publish a PS4 pro/xbonex only release to have a last gen game that at least runs "ok" (fairly certain both companies force you to support the base releases). Probably would've been best off delaying another year, axing the last gen support in the process and apologizing, fixing everything with the game while the user base of new console owners grew, and then releasing.

I can't see them ever getting base ps4 somewhere that people are legitimately happy about even if all the random bugs are knocked out. The system can't run this engine, and I don't think they are going to be able to pull it off. Fixing the underlying bugs with the game is feasible, but I think the engine optimization need will get shot down when it comes to cost of dev vs profit. Witcher 3 did have issues at launch, but they have really stuck themselves in a quandary

That’s a real shame. I told myself as much as I wanted to play this game, I WAS going to wait for the PS5 version because I wanted the best experience on my OLED. I really hope they can turn this around and at least make a AAA out of the next gen release (re-releases at this point lol?), since this was really the only game I was looking forward to during all the holiday 2020 releases.

And I suppose if they canx this and it was all for naught, I have RE Village to look forward to next, along with the other couple of PS5 titles that are out for the time being.

That’s a real shame. I told myself as much as I wanted to play this game, I WAS going to wait for the PS5 version because I wanted the best experience on my OLED. I really hope they can turn this around and at least make a AAA out of the next gen release (re-releases at this point lol?), since this was really the only game I was looking forward to during all the holiday 2020 releases.

And I suppose if they canx this and it was all for naught, I have RE Village to look forward to next, along with the other couple of PS5 titles that are out for the time being.
RE village should deliver:).......I just "finished" Demon's Souls and loved it. Such a polished game.

It was mainly sales and kind of like a promise to release the game for the platforms they announced it for. Delayed multiple times so they crunched. Should’ve just delayed it indefinitely and released it when it was actually finished and polished. It’s not like they could announce that they’re changing their mind and not releasing it for old gen. It was already too late. Don’t really care much about the game. It was hella overhyped. Sure I wanted it to be good cuz breathtaking. I’m sure it’s a good game and I already got it but not opening it until it’s been patched with barely any bugs

When I bought the game on launch, it was a bit of a mess, crashing fairly often.

After 3 patches, I've now had 1-2 crashes in 71+ hours of gameplay on my base PS4.

The game is at least a year from delivering on any promises they're making now. I would consider it dead in the water until they release the PS5/XSX versions.

The game is at least a year from delivering on any promises they're making now. I would consider it dead in the water until they release the PS5/XSX versions.
Okay, yea..sort of what I figured.

I don’t know how I missed it, but I assumed when the game released, the PS5/XSX versions were also releasing at the same time, given the consoles had already been out and it would make prime sales for the holiday. I was totally unaware those next gen versions weren’t coming until later this year. Dumb move indeed, especially with the devs stating the game worked ideal on the new systems.

If you bought your copy from Gamestop they are giving refunds for open copies also. It must be within the 30 days however...

I’m 20 hours in on ps4, had 2 crashes and a couple of side quests that were bugged, like if I already killed the target of the quest I still get a notification that I need to apprehend the target and bring him to the car outside

This has not happened in the main quest live and the game is stellar overall, even on ps4, hopefully the series continues for a couple more games and dlc, this is a good series, perhaps not as great as witcher 3 but very good

My USPS delivered CP steel book finally arrived today after being lost in a warehouse for over two weeks. That leaves me a little under two weeks to decide if I’m going to return the game. Guess I’ll need to investigate how well the patching job is going.

Simple. The Pre-Orders would have dropped like a rock. The install base of XSX and PS5 versus Xbox One and PS4 is a huge difference.

Simple. The Pre-Orders would have dropped like a rock. The install base of XSX and PS5 versus Xbox One and PS4 is a huge difference.
This is true, and I came to the same conclusion, but it would’ve saved them money in the long run as they wouldn’t be giving out refunds, stock prices might’ve dipped but not crashed, and it would likely be a day 1 purchase for people once they did get their hands on a 5/X. UNLESS they really had no idea that it performed so poorly on the 4/1, which seems so bizarre to me that I have a hard time believing it.

That said, I started playing it on PS5 last night. There weren’t any technical issues so far, but the real indictment on this game should be how much it feels dated. The city feels kinda sparse, the controls aren’t that great, the graphics are great in some scenes, but look like an early gen PS4 game most of the time. It’s fairly fun so far, but there’s nothing innovative about it, and I doubt I’ll remember much about it a year from now unless things really change after about 6 hours in.

Not sure if this is SOP but Best Buy is giving me until 1/16 to return my cyberpunk CE that I received the first week of December.

Not sure if this is SOP but Best Buy is giving me until 1/16 to return my cyberpunk CE that I received the first week of December.
I got the same date too but I am on elite pplus so I "should" have an extra week. I want to keep it and sell the statue for 100 ish but no luck so far.

Heads up! Steam copy was added to my library today. No email or anything regarding the exchange was sent. Maybe it will follow shortly.....?

Heads up! Steam copy was added to my library today. No email or anything regarding the exchange was sent. Maybe it will follow shortly.....?
I got a PC copy added to my library Friday. No email or anything. I looked on Reddit and Twitter and didn’t see anyone else mention getting their exchange copies yet. It does seem like they were bluffing when they made us agree to return our console copies as part of the return/exchange though.

bread's done
Back