PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='JoshTX']Isn't wipeout a 3D game? Just got my 3D tv a month ago so that would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe Super Stardust HD is also. I have both.

[quote name='JoshTX']Isn't wipeout a 3D game? Just got my 3D tv a month ago so that would be nice.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned earlier, both Wipeout and Super Stardust are stereoscopic 3d. Super Stardust in 3d is just amazing to say the least.

Little Big Planet and inFamous.

I already had these and sold em, but didn't really play through them that far. Wouldn't mind trying them out again. I really didn't get why either was so loved, but free is good :)

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Wait a second. Are these games going to be free or restricted to Playstation plus usage?[/QUOTE]

From the Playstation Blog:

"All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever."

[quote name='madbst']From the Playstation Blog:

"All PlayStation Network customers can select two PS3 games from the following list. The games will be available for 30 days shortly after PlayStation Store is restored and can be kept forever."[/QUOTE]

Nice! Definetely going to get Little Big Planet. Not sure about the second one yet.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Can anyone recommend a good hard drive for an upgrade to a 60GB launch PS3? (750 GB or less)?[/QUOTE]

Just about any WD Black drives. Make sure it's Black, because the Blue and Green drives trade performance and reliability for cost.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Yeah that is what I was wondering. Probably two total.[/QUOTE]
They've confirmed that people with a PS3 and a PSP can download two from each list.

I am probably going to get LBP and either Wipeout or Stardust (I already own the other 2 games). Can anyone comment on which might be best for a 4 year-old to play? Is one signigicantly easier (at least for a few levels) than the other? Or have simpler controls? Thanks.

Since I have infamous and LBP... I don't really have a choice on what I'm getting. I'd be happier with PS1 classics, honestly, or even premium DLC like LBP costume packs, themes, etc. Oh well, at least my procrastination on buying Wipeout paid off.

[quote name='elessar123']Since I have infamous and LBP... I don't really have a choice on what I'm getting. I'd be happier with PS1 classics, honestly, or even premium DLC like LBP costume packs, themes, etc. Oh well, at least my procrastination on buying Wipeout paid off.[/QUOTE]

Dead Nation is an excellent game. Consider it if you don't already have it.

Hey guys, is are the free game per USER or per CONSOLE. Becuase my wife and I both had accounts pre-FAIL, which would mean 4 games. and sine I have infoamous that would make the choices much easier

Already platinumed Infamous, and still have LBP. I guess I'm getting Super Stardust and Wipeout, although I heard both of those games have some insanely difficult trophies. Good thing I don't care about my Trophy Completion percentage :p

I'll definitely pick up Wipeout with LBP probably being the second choice. Not sure what I'll get on the PSP, one of them will most likely be ModNation Racers.

[quote name='6er']Hey guys, is are the free game per USER or per CONSOLE. Becuase my wife and I both had accounts pre-FAIL, which would mean 4 games. and sine I have infoamous that would make the choices much easier[/QUOTE]

While not clearly listed, I'm pretty sure they're limiting it per console as well.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I don't see Black or Green for the laptop drives at NewEgg... maybe that's only for 3.5 inch drives.

Thinking of getting the following 320 GB (good reviews from PS3 users):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197[/QUOTE]

Try http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280 instead, if you're willing to shell out a little more money.

Edit: $7 difference. You get a better quality drive that runs cooler, and doesn't have the bugs of the blue drives.

[quote name='elessar123']Try http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280 instead, if you're willing to shell out a little more money.

Edit: $7 difference. You get a better quality drive that runs cooler, and doesn't have the bugs of the blue drives.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I must have sorted on 5400 RPM drives when I looked initially. So you think a 7200 RPM will run cooler than a 5400 RPM?

Also, if I have a nearly full 60GB HDD in my PS3, will I need 60GB of room for a backup? And how do I do that if Windows restricts FAT32 drived to 32 GB?

[quote name='cheapfrag']Thanks. I must have sorted on 5400 RPM drives when I looked initially. So you think a 7200 RPM will run cooler than a 5400 RPM?

Also, if I have a nearly full 60GB HDD in my PS3, will I need 60GB of room for a backup? And how do I do that if Windows restricts FAT32 drived to 32 GB?[/QUOTE]

Fat32 is just a storage format. You can get any drive 60 gb or bigger and dock in a hd dock or use an external hd 60gb or bigger just partition the same size amount for a dedicated backup space if you don't want to use more than the 60 gb and then hook up to ps3 and do a back up. Install a new drive and then restore from the backup.

The backup drive has to be equal to or bigger than the drive your backing up and formatted to FAT32 spec

If ur a tecg newb and this does not explain throughly for you use google

[quote name='cheapfrag']Can anyone recommend a good hard drive for an upgrade to a 60GB launch PS3? (750 GB or less)?[/QUOTE]

check amazon and newegg both had wd and seagate drives from 750 gb and less for pretty decent prices. make sure its an sata 2.5.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Thanks. I must have sorted on 5400 RPM drives when I looked initially. So you think a 7200 RPM will run cooler than a 5400 RPM?

Also, if I have a nearly full 60GB HDD in my PS3, will I need 60GB of room for a backup? And how do I do that if Windows restricts FAT32 drived to 32 GB?[/QUOTE]

Well, my 500gb 7200 black runs significantly cooler than the blue 5400 I had, so yes. On a PS3, the speed won't matter much, because if I remember correctly, PS3 limits performance of 7200 drives to 5400 drives. What you're paying extra for is the better quality of the black versions.

There is an official HDD upgrade thread. Just use backup utility (on ps3) to backup drive, then put new on in, then restore. You'll need an external HDD to do this.

I've read that a 7200rpm drive runs HOTTER in a PS3. Although, as others have said, you will not gain any performance from 7200 vs 5400 at this point.

[quote name='doubledown']I've read that a 7200rpm drive runs HOTTER in a PS3. Although, as others have said, you will not gain any performance from 7200 vs 5400 at this point.[/QUOTE]

This was true 3-4 years ago. Not sure when it changed, but newer tests show WD Black 7200 running cooler than WD Blue 5400. I know this is counter-intuitive, but of you look even at old tests from 2008-2009, the Black drive suck more power than any other drive at _full_ load, and draws less than other drives at idle and when streaming video. As long as the PS3 doesn't use max load on it, which ironically, it can't... The newer Black drives are cooler, and you get up to 10% performance gain ( which in all honesty, you won't notice at all).

Does anyone know how much memory the full PS3 games use? I only have a 60GB PS3. I don't have a ton of DLC, so I don't think I need to be too concerned.

Does anyone know how much memory the full PS3 games use? I only have a 60GB PS3. I don't have a ton of DLC, so I don't think I need to be too concerned.

Posted from Frisky Tanuki a couple pages back:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']PSP:
Pursuit Force - $22.99 - 668 MB
LittleBigPlanet - $19.99 - 1.30 GB
ModNation Racers - $19.99 - 1.06 GB
Killzone Liberation - $15.99 - 510 MB

PS3:
Dead Nation - $14.99 - 1.4 GB
Infamous - $29.99 -6.88 GB
Super Stardust HD - $9.99 - 277 MB
Wipeout HD & Fury Bundle - 1.7 GB
LittleBigPlanet - N/A

We haven't seen LBP on PSN nor a bundle of Wipeout HD & Fury yet, so the latter is an estimation based on the size of the game and add-on and the former is unknown for now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='elessar123']This was true 3-4 years ago. Not sure when it changed, but newer tests show WD Black 7200 running cooler than WD Blue 5400. I know this is counter-intuitive, but of you look even at old tests from 2008-2009, the Black drive suck more power than any other drive at _full_ load, and draws less than other drives at idle and when streaming video. As long as the PS3 doesn't use max load on it, which ironically, it can't... The newer Black drives are cooler, and you get up to 10% performance gain ( which in all honesty, you won't notice at all).[/QUOTE]

Edit: Did a little more reading, and apparently most newer 7200 drives run cooler than most 5400s.

I have a 20gb PS3. I only use it for PS3 exclusives and blu-ray movie watching. My question is can I use my 16gb flash drive to store these free games on or does it require you to save to the HD? I'd hate to have to upgrade my drive just to get these free games.

[quote name='Punisher138']I have a 20gb PS3. I only use it for PS3 exclusives and blu-ray movie watching. My question is can I use my 16gb flash drive to store these free games on or does it require you to save to the HD? I'd hate to have to upgrade my drive just to get these free games.[/QUOTE]

you have to save the games to your harddrive so if you dont have enough space you might want to get a new harddrive.

[quote name='Ravenous']I wish they would have just done a credit and I can pic the damn games I want. None of those interest me or I already have.[/QUOTE]

While that would have been nice, I can understand NOT doing that. At least we get a choice instead of one blanket free game.

Wipeout HD has a ton of gameplay modes, custom soundtracks, and 1080p 60fps graphics. It is the best game on the list imo and everyone should at least read about it before they choose other games. Since I alredy have dead nation which is ok, i think i will be getting Infamous and LBP if it is the game of the year edition, otherwise stardust but it doesn't have any free dlc for some reason. For the psp i have been wanting lbp and killzone so i am very happy.

yeah i have wipeout, but i suggest everyone get it who doesn't have it.

I sold back LBP and always wanted to try infamous, so i guess i'll get those.

i already have all these. doh.
just traded in infamous and lbp goty edition(after backing up profile to keep dlc packs) and got 40 for them(plus a 3rd games, used sw snowboarding i picked up at bestbuy for $5) woot thanx, now i bought 2 psn cards. so i get 2 free games + $35~40 psn credit

IMO InFamous is a no brainer for me, and so would LBP be if I didn't already have it. I'm thinking:

PS3 - InFamous & Wipeout
PSP - Killzone and maybe ModNation Racers.

P.S. Everyone should remember, we will also be getting a free month of PS+ that will include whatever free downloadable games they're offering that month.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']P.S. Everyone should remember, we will also be getting a free month of PS+ that will include whatever free downloadable games they're offering that month.[/QUOTE]

But you will lose access to them if you don't renew your PS+ subscription.

yeah but i bet psn+ is a bit lazy this next month ;)
im still hoping for a discounted funky lab rat, lol
and does this mean everyone gets free altered beast? or whatev sega's next free psn game was gonna be? i guess only for a month tho for the free month people, or that would kill sega's sales. it might still cuz how much altered beast do you want after a free months worth. lol ;)

[quote name='bk187']But you will lose access to them if you don't renew your PS+ subscription.[/QUOTE]

but you can keep the dynamic themes and avatars. im very excited to get access to the eu and jap psn plus service for this alone. the american psn plus has a number of cool dynamic themes so now i can get more for free. coonsidering how much dynamic themes tend to cost thats a hell of a deal. and youll also have access to whatever betas come out that month which i think the u3 beta is coming up.

[quote name='Punisher138']I have a 20gb PS3. I only use it for PS3 exclusives and blu-ray movie watching. My question is can I use my 16gb flash drive to store these free games on or does it require you to save to the HD? I'd hate to have to upgrade my drive just to get these free games.[/QUOTE]
I'd assume once you choose the 2 it'll be forever linked to your PSN ID allowing you to re-download them as many times as you want so you don't have to always keep them on the HDD

[quote name='bearhawk72']I'd assume once you choose the 2 it'll be forever linked to your PSN ID allowing you to re-download them as many times as you want so you don't have to always keep them on the HDD[/QUOTE]
Not always. When flOw was given away it just installed, it didn't link with the account. More than likely it will be linked proper.

[quote name='Backlash']I am probably going to get LBP and either Wipeout or Stardust (I already own the other 2 games). Can anyone comment on which might be best for a 4 year-old to play? Is one signigicantly easier (at least for a few levels) than the other? Or have simpler controls? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

My 2 year old enjoys playing the demo for Stardust, so I imagine your 4 year old can more than handle it for the 1st few levels especially if you play with him.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it but if you need some memory for your PSP, Sears has 4gb pro duo on clearance. I picked up 3 today for 6.97 each + tax.

[quote name='RCS0926']My 2 year old enjoys playing the demo for Stardust, so I imagine your 4 year old can more than handle it for the 1st few levels especially if you play with him.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Well hell, maybe I'll get Wipeout and Stardust then. I just figured the kiddo would possibly enjoy playing LBP with me. Honestly I'm really even sure what LBP is about - it's just a cutesy platformer with tons of user-created content right?

bread's done
Back