PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

I don't know if this has been answered, but if you buy a PS3 in the next few days and register, do you get the free games? Or, is it those who already have a PSN account?

[quote name='Velo214']i already have all these. doh.
just traded in infamous and lbp goty edition(after backing up profile to keep dlc packs) and got 40 for them(plus a 3rd games, used sw snowboarding i picked up at bestbuy for $5) woot thanx, now i bought 2 psn cards. so i get 2 free games + $35~40 psn credit[/QUOTE]
Wait, what? You mean you can keep the DLC included in the GOTY even if you get rid of GOTY? Well, crap. I traded my GOTY copy in sometime ago and didn't know there was a way to do that.

Not surprised by the crap selection. The only games I'd have interest in I own (Infamous, LBP). Wish I could just get $10 in PSN credit. I'd rather buy things I want than take up space on my HD with stuff I don't.

[quote name='Backlash']Well hell, maybe I'll get Wipeout and Stardust then. I just figured the kiddo would possibly enjoy playing LBP with me. Honestly I'm really even sure what LBP is about - it's just a cutesy platformer with tons of user-created content right?[/QUOTE]

lbp has a story mode & online. I think your kiddo would really enjoy it.

I'll be getting Dead Nation and Super Stardust HD,
I'll use my little brother's account for Wipeout and I already own both the disc versions of inFAMOUS and LBP.
And just to put it out there... Anyone who sold their physical copies of inFAMOUS and/or LBP so they could download them from PSN should be drug out into the street and shot. That is all.

[quote name='whoknows']Only those that had a PSN account prior to it going down.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, your "free gift" for signing up for the PSN now is that your personal info wasn't raped by the hackers ;)

I'd much rather have that than a free month of PSN+ and a couple of games I'm mildly interested in at best.

Looks like Infamous and Stardust for me. I tried the Infamous demo and wasn't too impressed but free is free. Plus I already own LBP and Dead Nation, which IMO isn't as fun as Plants vs. Zombies.

60 day extension of PS+ is awesome. Any word on when we will know which movies will be free?

I guess I'll be getting Dead Nation and since I own the other games already, I'll grab LBP and sell my physical copy.

As for my PSP pick, I'm stuck between LBP, Pursuit Force, and Killzone Liberation. Is there any difference between the console LBP and the PSP version? Is it just more of the same?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Wipeout is super hard.

Best game on the list though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Wipeout is great, but definitely not an easy game. Getting gold medals on each race was brutal.

I like the games selection and wil be getting LBP and Infamous. But do we know yet how many movies we'll each be getting (will it be two per person like with the games?), or what selection of movies they will be offering under the free rental thing? Just curious. Not a netflix person, so I mostly use PSN for watching films.

[quote name='starmask2k3']when is the store going up[/QUOTE]

The Japanese government is holding up the restoration of the PSN there unless they can see that Sony made the changes they said they would on May 13th, which were incomplete at that time. I assume until the whole first stage is implemented worldwide, we have to wait.

Shit better be secure.

[quote name='icedrake523']Not surprised by the crap selection. The only games I'd have interest in I own (Infamous, LBP). Wish I could just get $10 in PSN credit. I'd rather buy things I want than take up space on my HD with stuff I don't.[/QUOTE]This. I've had LBP forever (never cared for it) and two copies of Infamous (one GH from BF still unopened and a 2nd copy I got with a 60GB PS3 I bought off a friend) so I guess I'll be going with Dead Nation and Wipeout HD, even though it's difficult.

I suppose I'll get Dead Nation and Wipeout HD (even though I'm really not that interested in hardcore racers.) I am tempted to get Infamous, as I really enjoyed the game. It might be nice to play through again before the sequel comes out.

I do hope that those of you who as of yet do not own Super Stardust HD will at least consider taking this opportunity to get it. It is easily the game I play most out of any game for the three modern day consoles.

As for PSP, I'm not sure which of the four to get. I didn't enjoy Little Big Planet on PS3, but beyond that I have no opinion.

[quote name='Indignate']I guess I'll be getting Dead Nation and since I own the other games already, I'll grab LBP and sell my physical copy.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the best idea. I have everything on there already, but at least I can sell back my copy of LBP for six bucks or whatever it goes for now. Guess it's better than nothing, even if a flat $10 would have been a nice way to not penalize people who actually bother to buy games for the damn system.

I'm gonna go with Dead Nation and Super Stardust HD on PS3 since I have the others, and prefer physical copies. And LBP and ModNation on PSP.

[quote name='icedrake523']Not surprised by the crap selection. The only games I'd have interest in I own (Infamous, LBP). Wish I could just get $10 in PSN credit. I'd rather buy things I want than take up space on my HD with stuff I don't.[/QUOTE]

Crap selection? Just cause you have the game your interested in doesn't mean its crap

Dead Nation and Infamous...Personally I haven't had any time for games in the last few weeks so this worked out awesome for me!

I haven't read the whole thread but I am sure people agree with me when I say Sony, while at fault for their security measures, is not who we should be pissed at. The assholes who ruined everyone's good time need to be held responsible. Sony is a company who makes these awesome games possible, while some d-bags spend their time stealing our info.

[quote name='ReviewTavConor']Dead Nation and Infamous...Personally I haven't had any time for games in the last few weeks so this worked out awesome for me!

I haven't read the whole thread but I am sure people agree with me when I say Sony, while at fault for their security measures, is not who we should be pissed at. The assholes who ruined everyone's good time need to be held responsible. Sony is a company who makes these awesome games possible, while some d-bags spend their time stealing our info.[/QUOTE]

I blame Sony's previously piss poor security.
That didn't even encrypt user data.
I thank the hackers because they forced Sony to improve themselves.
And it doesn't even seem like anyone's data has been used illegitimately, SO MEH.

[quote name='krashhole']walkman on the diaper? Thats nothing son. I had a apple 8 track player LOL

Hopefully something will get resolved with all of this. As Buuhan1 said, we the Consumers are getting the short end of the stick. I have wanted a PS3 since they came out but just couldnt afford the price tag. I finally got one from my loving wife last month and I hate to see all of this going on.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! It's not just the fact that the store and the network was down, it's the whole reputation that's affected.

Getting discounts feel like a bit too little too late...I'm not sure really what would make me feel happy about Playstation again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']PSP:
Pursuit Force - $22.99 - 668 MB
LittleBigPlanet - $19.99 - 1.30 GB
ModNation Racers - $19.99 - 1.06 GB
Killzone Liberation - $15.99 - 510 MB

PS3:
Dead Nation - $14.99 - 1.4 GB
Infamous - $29.99 -6.88 GB
Super Stardust HD - $9.99 - 277 MB
Wipeout HD & Fury Bundle - 1.7 GB
LittleBigPlanet - N/A

We haven't seen LBP on PSN nor a bundle of Wipeout HD & Fury yet, so the latter is an estimation based on the size of the game and add-on and the former is unknown for now.[/QUOTE]

Can we get this info in the OP so I don't have to keep searching for it :D

The media will blow this up, but I highly doubt anything will come of this. First of all, the only other people who may know your email and Bday is the original hackers, and I doubt their intent was to compromise PSN accounts. Secondly, I am sure Sony will fix this exploit, which doesn't seem that hard to do.

People will blow this out of proportion though, I guarantee it. Kotaku already has a huge ridiculous banner about it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']The media will blow this up, but I highly doubt anything will come of this. First of all, the only other people who may know your email and Bday is the original hackers, and I doubt their intent was to compromise PSN accounts. Secondly, I am sure Sony will fix this exploit, which doesn't seem that hard to do.

People will blow this out of proportion though, I guarantee it. Kotaku already has a huge ridiculous banner about it.[/QUOTE]

Still though it's the fact that they re hacked it. The fact that sony can put this supposedly secure stuff and have it get hacked in days is not a good sign.

Then again I am not surprised. Someone hates sony and is at war with them. I can tell this bastard will not go down till he is in jail and well the future of PSN might be a rough one until he is caught.

Just to clarify, This isn't PSN related at all, nor is it a "hack". It's a website password reset exploit simply based on the info needed to verify the account. It just happens that info is possessed by the hackers.

If you're buying into the fear-mongering, just change your birthday on PSN.

Wow, someone really does have it in for Sony. And might I add, they have no life to do nothing but think of ways to screw with people. I hope they burn with Osama in hell. :)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Still though it's the fact that they re hacked it. The fact that sony can put this supposedly secure stuff and have it get hacked in days is not a good sign.

Then again I am not surprised. Someone hates sony and is at war with them. I can tell this bastard will not go down till he is in jail and well the future of PSN might be a rough one until he is caught.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned above, this exploit had nothing to do with their new security. The new server security was for their PSN network, not for their commercial websites. And I wouldn't even call it a a hack, just an oversight based on the info the hackers originally compromised. If they simply used email verfication on the website, instead of your B-day and email address this wouldn't be an issue. It's something they clearly overlooked

[quote name='ssjmichael']As mentioned above, this exploit had nothing to do with their new security. The new server security was for their PSN network, not for their commercial websites. And I wouldn't even call it a a hack, just an oversight based on the info the hackers originally compromised. If they simply used email verfication on the website, instead of your B-day and email address this wouldn't be an issue. It's something they clearly overlooked[/QUOTE]

You've got to admit that Sony overlooking that information that was comprimised could be used to exploit their password change system is a pretty significant oversight on their part.

[quote name='whiptcracker']You've got to admit that Sony overlooking that information that was comprimised could be used to exploit their password change system is a pretty significant oversight on their part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was. I don't even think it was on every Playstation website. I believe the oversight involved only two specific Playstation portals (One in France I believe), but yeah there's no excuse for that. I'm sure they'll switch to an email verification system for their website after this.

I'm 100% positive nothing will come of this though. I even have my doubts that these hackers even downloaded all of the info that Sony said was compromised. I recall reading an article where Anonymous said a splinter group did the PSN hack, but they were mainly after Admin access and passwords, and didn't download anything else. That could be referring to the SOE attack though, I'll have to check it again

At least Joystiq had sense enough not to sensationalize it like Kotaku (that banner over there is so ridiculous)

In actuality, it was not so much a "hack" as it was a critical oversight by Sony, which had not changed the PSN password reset method on its websites when it began to partially relaunch the service last weekend. Any website user, nefarious or not, needed only to provide a PSN account's associated email address and the account holder's date of birth to change the password -- information that was stolen by hackers during the PSN breach last month.

[quote name='whoknows']Oh no. I hope they don't get my password and use it to play games online and pretend they're me. That would be terrible.[/QUOTE]

You're right, that's all that would happen. You mind sharing your password? I'll only pretend to play as you and promise not to change the password to something else or go through your billing information :)

Nothing will likely happen because of this, but it is suprising that after the last few weeks they would have even left themselves open to an exploit like this instead of just straight up email verification.

Would this only be an issue if they had access to your e-mail account to get the password that is sent?

[quote name='whiptcracker']You've got to admit that Sony overlooking that information that was comprimised could be used to exploit their password change system is a pretty significant oversight on their part.[/QUOTE]

I don't think "significant oversight" does it justice. More like "boneheaded, moronic massive oversight."

Sure, this latest goof by Sony may not mean much in the long run, but it just tarnishes their credibility even more.

[quote name='mwynn']Would this only be an issue if they had access to your e-mail account to get the password that is sent?[/QUOTE]

No, this exploit allowed them to use the webform to change your password if they had access to your date of birth and email address. They change it without accessing your email, though if it was changed you would get an email to that account notifying you of the change.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I'm just waiting for them to tell everyone to make a new PSN account buy a new PS3. That shits coming.[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[quote name='VipFREAK']LOL, oh man this is fucking hilarious. Gawd $ony you fail.[/QUOTE]

I love how Xbox fanboys come in here to talk shit

bread's done
Back