PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='raistlin']
29wmc.jpg
[/QUOTE]

could u possibly troll harder freaking xbox fanboys

thank god my account has insufficient funds! lol. oh god,. but seriously....fuck.

edit: shit i just realized my password i share with a few other accounts....sigh...this is annoying? or is this just blown out of proportion?

[quote name='DarkRider23']I vote Sony. As much as the hackers are assholes for taking the info it is Sony's fault for inviting them.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, how in the hell did Sony "invite them"? Sure, Sony was stupid for not sandboxing they're dev network, but they didn't invite them to do it.

So Microsoft at least has better system and data security than Sony. That's apparent now.

They also have better PR. They don't take a week to announce problems like this...

[quote name='dabamus']So Microsoft at least has better system and data security than Sony. That's apparent now.

They also have better PR. They don't take a week to announce problems like this...[/QUOTE]
That's not necessarily true.

[quote name='AshesofWake']thank god my account has insufficient funds! lol. oh god,. but seriously....fuck.

edit: shit i just realized my password i share with a few other accounts....sigh...this is annoying? or is this just blown out of proportion?[/QUOTE]
A credit card number is no big deal. Simply call your credit card company and get a replacement number, and monitor your statements like you should every month. There's no liability for any charges you don't make.

Password info is more serious, especially if you're dumb (like me) and use the same password for a few accounts. That's my own fault, though, for trusting PSN with the info and not using a unique password for each account.

I'll tell you why I'm upset with Sony, though. First, they waited so long to tell us information was compromised. That's ridiculous. Second, they are acting like this isn't a big deal, and recommending that people place fraud alerts with the reporting agencies or pull their once-a-year-free credit reports. Really, Sony? At the bare minimum they should be providing free credit monitoring for a year. That is the norm in this situation, and Sony's response just looks like they don't care about the breach and don't want to make it right with the customers whose personal info they allowed to get out.

After sony's giant fuckup, I'm just gonna sell my PS3 and stick with the 360 and wii. If they can't be bothered to let us know about data loss until A fuckING WEEK AFTER it happened! then they don't deserve my or any of our business.

Apparently they plan on restoring "some" functionality within the next week. Who knows how long it will be until everything is back to "normal".

[quote name='simmias']A credit card number is no big deal. Simply call your credit card company and get a replacement number, and monitor your statements like you should every month. There's no liability for any charges you don't make.

Password info is more serious, especially if you're dumb (like me) and use the same password for a few accounts. That's my own fault, though, for trusting PSN with the info and not using a unique password for each account.

I'll tell you why I'm upset with Sony, though. First, they waited so long to tell us information was compromised. That's ridiculous. Second, they are acting like this isn't a big deal, and recommending that people place fraud alerts with the reporting agencies or pull their once-a-year-free credit reports. Really, Sony? At the bare minimum they should be providing free credit monitoring for a year. That is the norm in this situation, and Sony's response just looks like they don't care about the breach and don't want to make it right with the customers whose personal info they allowed to get out.[/QUOTE]

Yup!

So got a typical BS response back from Sony when I questioned them what they intend to do if people find themselves the victim of theft of their PSN account or worse identity theft.

"We have no information that suggests that PlayStation Network account information has been improperly used. Nonetheless, to protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage consumers to remain vigilant, review their account statements and monitor their credit reports. Additionally, if a consumer uses the same user name or password for his or her PlayStation Network or Qriocity service account for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that the consumer change the information for those accounts. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are back on line, we also strongly recommend that consumers log on to change their passwords.

While we are still assessing the impact of this incident, we recognize that this may have had financial impact on our loyal customers. We are currently reviewing options and will update consumers when the service is restored."

I'm not mad I just want psn back up so I can get my last trophy in Bulletstorm. I need that plat, I'm too much of a trophy whore to live without it

I wonder if Sony is planning on giving away free stuff once service is restored. I'm not saying they necessarily owe anyone anything (especially since PSN is free), just curious.

[quote name='LarrytheDuck']I wonder if Sony is planning on giving away free stuff once service is restored. I'm not saying they necessarily owe anyone anything (especially since PSN is free), just curious.[/QUOTE]

Screw that I will say they owe us. They owe us nothing for a week or twos down time, but they owe everyone big for their personal information being compromised.

Edit - Letter from a Senator to SCEA about this issue and the fact that they did not warn us about the breach
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sonys-failure-to-report-data-breach-incurs-ct-senator-blumentha/

PSN needs to come back up. If nothing else, restore online multiplayer (I wont miss the Playstation Store).

I wonder how the publisher's feel about this whole thing, and how it will influence their future projects on Sony's platforms.

I would imagine that since the consumer PSN is down, the developer one must be as well. Thus costing valuable development/test time for new games. This is a very sad state of affairs.

[quote name='aerol']PSN needs to come back up. If nothing else, restore online multiplayer (I wont miss the Playstation Store).

I wonder how the publisher's feel about this whole thing, and how it will influence their future projects on Sony's platforms.

I would imagine that since the consumer PSN is down, the developer one must be as well. Thus costing valuable development/test time for new games. This is a very sad state of affairs.[/QUOTE]

Q entertainment(maker of the Pixeljunk games) commented on it and said that they understand that things happen but that this is costing them lost sales and effecting their bottom line.

[quote name='lokizz']you can email sony to get a system deactivated.[/QUOTE]
Sony claims that they will only do that for you one time. They hit a button and all of your activations are disabled. It's really only a viable option if you have 1 account on your PS3 and aren't gamesharing with friends, etc.

Makes me wonder if you called Sony and requested a reset now if they would consider that your one reset, or if we have a free pass for the foreseeable future.

I am suprised so many people are up in arms about the password issue.
I would have thought many would have went thru a personal password audit with the whole gawker/kotaku username/password incident.

The thing that bugs me is why not tell us sooner? That is just messed up.
I love my playstation but I will NOT be linking any financial information to ANY of their services or any other for that matter, any time soon.
Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.

[quote name='chimpian']I am suprised so many people are up in arms about the password issue.
I would have thought many would have went thru a personal password audit with the whole gawker/kotaku username/password incident.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is- i changed all my passwords then with the exception of my my PSN password. So it actually kind of works out.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']So except replacing the credit card, there is not much we can do right? Cannot erase or change any other info (address, e-mail, birthday) until PSN is back online.

Which, I was simply curious, how do people posting reply on PlayStation's Blog? It require logging in from PSN.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
You can usually sign in on the PS Blog using your PSN account info to be able to comment on the blogs. Not sure if you can get into any other portion of your PSN account from there, but if you can then that would be a good way for all of the doom and gloom people to change/delete their payment/personal info w/o waiting for the full PSN to be restored.:D

[quote name='simmias']A credit card number is no big deal. Simply call your credit card company and get a replacement number, and monitor your statements like you should every month. There's no liability for any charges you don't make.

I'll tell you why I'm upset with Sony, though. First, they waited so long to tell us information was compromised. That's ridiculous. Second, they are acting like this isn't a big deal, and recommending that people place fraud alerts with the reporting agencies or pull their once-a-year-free credit reports. Really, Sony? At the bare minimum they should be providing free credit monitoring for a year. That is the norm in this situation, and Sony's response just looks like they don't care about the breach and don't want to make it right with the customers whose personal info they allowed to get out.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, now I had to change the password to my e-mail and possibly other passwords from other accounts that tied to that e-mail because it is my main e-mail account. So aside from PSN getting hacked, now have to worry about e-mail getting hacked as well.:bomb:

[quote name='LarrytheDuck']I wonder if Sony is planning on giving away free stuff once service is restored. I'm not saying they necessarily owe anyone anything (especially since PSN is free), just curious.[/QUOTE]

Would not mind if they are giving away things for free, but they cannot give me my sense of security back anymore.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You can usually sign in on the PS Blog using your PSN account info to be able to comment on the blogs. Not sure if you can get into any other portion of your PSN account from there, but if you can then that would be a good way for all of the doom and gloom people to change/delete their payment/personal info w/o waiting for the full PSN to be restored.:D[/QUOTE]

Well, I tried to log in and comment on how come we did not notified sooner, but all it shows is the "maintenance" page, same with the forum or "community".

I really don't get the whole uprising about this. CC numbers get stolen very frequently and there is a lot of infrastructure and policies in place to deal with it. It's better that you know it is possible your CC number has been stolen so you can be more vigilant rather than have it stolen quietly and potentially miss extra charges until it is too late.

With the password thing, just change your password. Is it really that hard to remember a few 8 letter passwords? It not really a big deal to do that. Additionally, a ton of info can be gotten on you: like birthday, address, passwords, email, etc from all over the Internet. It doesn't take any sort of skilled hacker to get that kind of stuff.

Maybe Sony handled the situation poorly by not telling people, but it is understandable that they wanted to know the whole situation before putting out any kind of statement. Sony's reputation will be just fine after all this. They are most likely going to introduce a new security system to fix the holes in the old one. This could have happened to just about any company, Microsoft included. Sony was just the target this time.

How about everybody relax and go play some single player games or downloaded games, they don't need PSN.

Am I the only person more worried about my trophies than my information being out there?

Getting a new debit card took a total of four minutes. Changing my passwords (which was unnecessary considering that I used a different one for PSN), took a total of ten minutes.

My name, birthday, e-mail address, address, etc. can all be found in a public search on google either through anywho, facebook, you name it. Anyone who wanted to find this info easily could have.

Is this a drag and bad PR for Sony? Sure. Is it the shitstorm that people are making it out to be? No.

Hacks like this happen all the time, and I trust that Sony did what they felt was best. If this is the first time you've gone through a security breach like this, get used to it, for they do happen. Remember to ALWAYS monitor your banking and credit card statements. I check mine twice a day (morning and night) to make sure nothing is going on. Passwords to any site with sensitive information should likely be changed every 3 months.

This all really sucks, but I'm sure as hell not abandoning Sony over it.

Instead of being mad at Sony, why isnt everyone mad at the ASSHOLES THAT STOLE YOUR DATA! Oh, thats right, its easier to blame a big bad corporation that has deep pockets for a potential lawsiut. Free money! Wooppee! Sue Sue Sue! The American way. :)

Seriously, Sony should have come out a week ago and told everyone there was a possibility of stolen data. But what would that have done? We would still have people mad at big bad Sony. Instead I want those assholes that might have stolen my data put in prison or worse. Thats what I want the focus on.

[quote name='momouchi']
Maybe Sony handled the situation poorly by not telling people, but it is understandable that they wanted to know the whole situation before putting out any kind of statement. Sony's reputation will be just fine after all this. They are most likely going to introduce a new security system to fix the holes in the old one. This could have happened to just about any company, Microsoft included. Sony was just the target this time.
[/QUOTE]

I thought about that also.

Sure, I think it sucks that it happened to Sony, but if this happened to any other company, do you really think they would handled the situation different?

Anyways, my PSN password was different from everything else, but I changed them just in case anyways.

The only thing I have to worry about is my debit card being linked, but if its used to buy something it will be declined due to insufficient funds.

[quote name='wrencrest']Instead of being mad at Sony, why isnt everyone mad at the ASSHOLES THAT STOLE YOUR DATA! Oh, thats right, its easier to blame a big bad corporation that has deep pockets for a potential lawsiut. Free money! Wooppee! Sue Sue Sue! The American way. :)

Seriously, Sony should have come out a week ago and told everyone there was a possibility of stolen data. But what would that have done? We would still have people mad at big bad Sony. Instead I want those assholes that might have stolen my data put in prison or worse. Thats what I want the focus on.[/QUOTE]

1. Most of us that are angry have not said we plan on suing.
2. Most of us have not suggested we are not also mad/more mad at the hackers.
3. Sony as you yourself said should have come out a week ago and told people their data was stolen, they also should have made it clear right up front that they would hold themselves responsible for any damage their security failure causes to peoples personal finances. Instead they pussy footed around telling us and now continue to do so about being held accountable. THAT is BS and we have a right to be upset about it.
4. You say what would it have done...but it should be obvious. It would have allowed people to cancel credit cards, change passwords and do other things to protect themselves.

[quote name='MSI Magus']1. Most of us that are angry have not said we plan on suing.
2. Most of us have not suggested we are not also mad/more mad at the hackers.
3. Sony as you yourself said should have come out a week ago and told people their data was stolen, they also should have made it clear right up front that they would hold themselves responsible for any damage their security failure causes to peoples personal finances. Instead they pussy footed around telling us and now continue to do so about being held accountable. THAT is BS and we have a right to be upset about it.
4. You say what would it have done...but it should be obvious. It would have allowed people to cancel credit cards, change passwords and do other things to protect themselves.[/QUOTE]
1. I never said anything about how many. It only takes one.
2. This is correct, but I also did not read many posts actually stating they are mad at the hackers. I cannot assume anything. You know what they say about assuming.
3. You have a right to be upset about anything you want since this is a "free" country. Sony was slow, yes, but I am sure they had to or wanted to speak to their attorneys. Which goes back to point 1. Someone will sue. Instead of focusing on the real problem. The hackers.
4. By the time Sony found out about the hack and took PSN down it was alrady too late. If someone wanted to use your info, it was done already. But you are right, it would have helped a bit to get your stuff locked down sooner. But the fact is we would still be bitching about the same old thing. Sony this and Sony that, instead of trying to find out the culprit and putting them away.

[quote name='wrencrest']Instead of being mad at Sony, why isnt everyone mad at the ASSHOLES THAT STOLE YOUR DATA! Oh, thats right, its easier to blame a big bad corporation that has deep pockets for a potential lawsiut. Free money! Wooppee! Sue Sue Sue! The American way. :)

Seriously, Sony should have come out a week ago and told everyone there was a possibility of stolen data. But what would that have done? We would still have people mad at big bad Sony. Instead I want those assholes that might have stolen my data put in prison or worse. Thats what I want the focus on.[/QUOTE]

If I leave my car running and unlocked on a city street and it gets stolen, I have nobody to blame but myself. There are criminals out there, don't ya know...SONY DAMN WELL SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, and secured their systems to a greater degree. Barring proof otherwise, it seems Sony was storing credit card numbers and passwords in plain text. That is what I would consider criminal negligence, and if you're going to put the crackers in jail, then those responsible at Sony for allowing them (relatively) easy access to this information should join them.

damn sony.. now i'm worried someone stole my credit card number

all of this shit for taking away linux.. hope it was worth it..

[quote name='billyrox']all of this shit for taking away linux.. hope it was worth it..[/QUOTE]
What are you talking about?

Take away a feature that will facilitate piracy for arguably 3% of PS3 owners, or compromise personal information all PSN users?

It's pretty clear to me they made the right decision. :roll:

[quote name='jacobeid']Am I the only person more worried about my trophies than my information being out there?

Getting a new debit card took a total of four minutes. Changing my passwords (which was unnecessary considering that I used a different one for PSN), took a total of ten minutes.

My name, birthday, e-mail address, address, etc. can all be found in a public search on google either through anywho, facebook, you name it. Anyone who wanted to find this info easily could have.

Is this a drag and bad PR for Sony? Sure. Is it the shitstorm that people are making it out to be? No.

Hacks like this happen all the time, and I trust that Sony did what they felt was best. If this is the first time you've gone through a security breach like this, get used to it, for they do happen. Remember to ALWAYS monitor your banking and credit card statements. I check mine twice a day (morning and night) to make sure nothing is going on. Passwords to any site with sensitive information should likely be changed every 3 months.

This all really sucks, but I'm sure as hell not abandoning Sony over it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, you're not the only one... This PSN thing is a nightmare for those of us hunt trophies. The only merciful aspect is that there's nothing in it for hackers to tamper with the trophies (waste of time for them). Of course, the integrity of obtaining trophies is compromised and I hate the idea of someone can easily pad his/her trophies without earning them.

Without integrity, I don't see any point of collecting trophies. Heck, online gaming sucks too, there's no honor in playing with real losers. I've to wait and see, this could be a cure to my trophy addiction.

Strange as it may sound, I careless about my name, address etc. than my trophies, lol. Well, to be fair, my info are all fake.

[quote name='billyrox']damn sony.. now i'm worried someone stole my credit card number

all of this shit for taking away linux.. hope it was worth it..[/QUOTE]

I understand where you coming from, just monitor your CC transactions and you should be fine (something you do on regular basic anyway).

Removing Linux and pissing off some hardcore Linux fans can go both ways. If Sony didn't remove Linux, one can argue that there are more exploits and weaknesses.

[quote name='jacobeid']Am I the only person more worried about my trophies than my information being out there?[/QUOTE]

I think your priorities are in the wrong place...

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I think your priorities are in the wrong place...[/QUOTE]
To each of his/her own :) Well, if you put it that way, then should we be doing something more important than gaming :) Like planting a tree, volunteering at a soup kitchen or be a big brother/sister at local YMCA?

Are you old enough to have a job? You don't seem to grasp the concept of responsibility.

[quote name='dark-star']If I leave my car running and unlocked on a city street and it gets stolen, I have nobody to blame but myself. There are criminals out there, don't ya know...SONY DAMN WELL SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, and secured their systems to a greater degree. Barring proof otherwise, it seems Sony was storing credit card numbers and passwords in plain text. That is what I would consider criminal negligence, and if you're going to put the crackers in jail, then those responsible at Sony for allowing them (relatively) easy access to this information should join them.[/QUOTE]
We all know there are criminals out there and that is why we have things like locks. But just because a car is running unlocked doesnt mean the person who took it wasnt a complete asshole and in the wrong. They stole someone elses property and know that isnt right.

Who is to say that sony didnt do everything they could to prevent this? What is "everything"? As you stated, there are criminals and we know that. But we also know that no matter what laws and protections you put in place someone will always find a way around it. So my point still stands. We can all argue that Sony could have done something better. But the bottom line is that the people that stole the information are the problem.

[quote name='camoor']Are you old enough to have a job? You don't seem to grasp the concept of responsibility.[/QUOTE]
lol Responsibility would mean that you should be watching your credit reports and credit card statements every chance you get. You and only you are responsible for your credit and when you put your data anywhere or give it to a third party like PSN, you have to know that eventually that data will be compromised no matter what protections that third party has or doesnt have. As I stated in my prior post, someone will always find a way. And they are the true problem.

As an indication of how big this story is, news outlets that normally do not give a shit about electronics, gaming, online activities, etc. are attempting to report on the story. My absolute favorite story that recognizes that the story is big without completely understanding how came from an advocacy group that deals with fighting for affordable college student housing. In it, they state that college students who own PS3s are at risk because their personal information has been taken by hackers. The "big" risk posed by the hackers having this information, according to the limited scope of the writers, is this:

"There is a risk that thieves will take a more direct approach and attempt to break into student houses to steal their PS3 console and other high value items."

In other words, now that the hackers have your name and where you live, and know that you have a PS3, they will go to your house and try to break in and steal it because it is valuable.

*facepalm*

Note to you Sony apologists who think that removing Linux was OK to prevent piracy: YOU'RE WRONG!!!

Sony sold the PS3 with a specific bullet point feature - Install Other OS - and then unilaterally took it away because they are arrogant a-holes who don't care about their customers and promises. Until this move, hackers had ignored the console, but once Sony shat on their users, the hacker community set to breaking the security. When Sony retaliated against Geohotz (sp?), that got Anonymous and whoever is behind this latest hassle involved.

Sony started it with their arrogance. We're just collateral damage.

[quote name='DirkBelig'] unilaterally took it away because they are arrogant a-holes who don't care about their customers and promises. [/QUOTE]

The sentence to end all sentences. It applies to both sides. :lol:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I think your priorities are in the wrong place...[/QUOTE]

I agree. If anything, this situation has completely turned me off from the "online incentives" that PSN offers. Trophies can go to hell.

I just want to make sure some asshat isn't out there purchasing overpriced sex toys from some shady online five & dime. I also had quite a bit of PSN $$$ in my account from a bunch of PSN cards I received for xmas. Hope that shit's still there when this ship floats again.

I've always been a loyal Sony console owner... but I really want them to get their ass handed to them over this cluster-fuck.

bread's done
Back