PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

[quote name='fwbweux'](note: some of you may have briefly noticed this post a few days ago but I quickly deleted it after thinking that I found the answer to my own question. I didn't.)

My ability to connect to PSN has been totally borked since it came back up. 95% of attempts to log in time out (and the error codes are generic and unhelpful like 80710B23, 8002E801, etc.), and with only one or two exceptions the few successful logins I've had won't load my friends list or sync my trophies and I get booted after a few minutes. The internet browser won't even load regardless of whether I'm logged in or not. I've done all the tech advice like assigning my PS3 a static internal IP and putting it in a DMZ, but nothing works.

Things went perfectly after I switched to ethernet for a couple of days, but my PS3 has suddenly stopped recognizing any ethernet cable I plug into it. I'm also getting random popups about "media server errors" or "DLNA errors" which I never got before PSN went down, though I'm starting to suspect that this might all just be a bad coincidence and that my PS3 is starting to die :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that sounds odd. It really sounds like something to do with your network configuration than the PS3/PSN network itself though. The Internet browser not working is what makes me suspect that. Did you make any sort of changes after PS3 went up that could have affected anything? Do you have access to a WiFi connection?

[quote name='fwbweux'](note: some of you may have briefly noticed this post a few days ago but I quickly deleted it after thinking that I found the answer to my own question. I didn't.)

My ability to connect to PSN has been totally borked since it came back up. 95% of attempts to log in time out (and the error codes are generic and unhelpful like 80710B23, 8002E801, etc.), and with only one or two exceptions the few successful logins I've had won't load my friends list or sync my trophies and I get booted after a few minutes. The internet browser won't even load regardless of whether I'm logged in or not. I've done all the tech advice like assigning my PS3 a static internal IP and putting it in a DMZ, but nothing works.

Things went perfectly after I switched to ethernet for a couple of days, but my PS3 has suddenly stopped recognizing any ethernet cable I plug into it. I'm also getting random popups about "media server errors" or "DLNA errors" which I never got before PSN went down, though I'm starting to suspect that this might all just be a bad coincidence and that my PS3 is starting to die :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Turn off your media server. Have you reset your router recently? If you have not do that. Then run the network check on the ps3.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Hmm, that sounds odd. It really sounds like something to do with your network configuration than the PS3 itself though. Did you make any sort of changes after PS3 went up that could have affected anything? Do you have access to a WiFi connection?[/QUOTE]

I know that I definitely haven't changed any settings on my router other than assigning the PS3 a static internal IP and creating a DMZ in the router for it in case it was suddenly being firewalled for some reason. This changed me from NAT Type 3 to NAT Type 2 for a while, but according to my latest connection test I've reverted to NAT Type 3 (which I don't believe ever impeded my PS3 online functions anyway.)

I've used a wifi connection for my PS3 since I got it early last year and only switched to a wired connection a few days ago out of desperation. I actually just remembered that I have my friend's 60GB on loan to me for playing upscaled PS2 games so I might try to test its internet capabilities to see if the same things happen. I'd much rather replace my router than my PS3.

[quote name='mwynn']Turn off your media server. Have you reset your router recently? If you have not do that. Then run the network check on the ps3.[/quote]

I've reset my router multiple times since PSN came back up to see if it would do anything, but I haven't had a good result from it so far. It's usually that simple when my computer drops its connection but apparently not for the PS3 x_x

Edit: the PS3 I'm borrowing from a friend can't connect either save for a successful login via ethernet after a million attempts. Looks like these problems occuring alongside the PSN downtime are just a coincidence and it might be time for a new router. I took a look at the router, and it's making a high-pitched (like, mosquito ringtone level) whistling noise that I've never noticed it making before. Probably not a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been trying to sign on for the past 1/2 hour to play some RE5 and I can't connect.

EDIT: There we go, now I'm getting the message that the network is down for maintenance. Until a few minutes ago I kept getting those generic error codes.

I actually wish I had an option of the Japanese games. I'd take echochrome and locoroco just because I don't have them, lol.

Edit: would it be possible to create accounts from dif regions and get their bonus games too or is it only for existing accounts?

I haven't used my PS3 in weeks, is it safe to go online and change our passwords now since that pw change page was hacked? Thanks.

[quote name='monash65']I haven't used my PS3 in weeks, is it safe to go online and change our passwords now since that pw change page was hacked? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
It's been safe for 2 weeks...

[quote name='Zmonkay']I actually wish I had an option of the Japanese games. I'd take echochrome and locoroco just because I don't have them, lol.

Edit: would it be possible to create accounts from dif regions and get their bonus games too or is it only for existing accounts?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure its just for existing accounts

[quote name='monash65']I haven't used my PS3 in weeks, is it safe to go online and change our passwords now since that pw change page was hacked? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The pw page was NOT hacked

[quote name='Zmonkay']I actually wish I had an option of the Japanese games. I'd take echochrome and locoroco just because I don't have them, lol.

Edit: would it be possible to create accounts from dif regions and get their bonus games too or is it only for existing accounts?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brother Daz']I'm pretty sure its just for existing accounts[/QUOTE]

Like Daz says only existing before the blackout are eligible (it actually says so on the welcome back program page, FYI), so shame on you for not creating other region accounts sooner, but you aren't going to cheat the system either and get goodies you aren't entitled too since you didn't setup an account early. =/

Edit: It states SPECIFICALLY that the account must have BEEN CREATED BEFORE April 20th, to be eligible.

Just be happy with what you get, no? ;)

i dont know but if you want to try youd better make an account now before the psn store is back up.

bah, not really that interested in "cheating" the system, just wanted something since I have pretty much everything in the US list except Super Stardust HD. Still cool of them to do something and I wasn't even affected since I don't hardly ever play online.

[quote name='lilboo']So um.. I still log into the store and it tells me it's going through maintenance ???????[/QUOTE]
Store isn't up yet, Einstein.

:rofl: STILL?!
I really haven't been checking up much because I gave up on PS3 a while ago.. las time I checked it was "supposed" to be up this tuesday that went by.

Sorry about that.

I'm still p-ed about not being able to log into my EU account anymore and promptly be able to get the EU free games. All I can do is hope to find someone with a EU account and wants the same games I want and won't mind gamesharing.

[quote name='pbnate88']So for someone who has not played any of these games, which would you suggest?[/QUOTE]

Infamous for sure. I am getting that and Little Big Planet.

[quote name='pbnate88']So for someone who has not played any of these games, which would you suggest?[/QUOTE]

LBP
Dead Nation

inFAMOUS if you really feel the need of getting the most for your money but I found it to be pretty average... (and I love all things comics and I'm skipping the sequel. (at least till a price drop or three comes.)

(Pretty sure that inFAMOUS has a demo now... Try it before you 'buy' it.)

So what is the deadline for the PS Store? I was lucky enough to register my copy of Portal 2 on Steam launch day, but didn't get to buying Arcana Heart 3. I don't main PS3, so this has been pretty annoying since I rarely buy stuff on it.

[quote name='Zmonkay']bah, not really that interested in "cheating" the system, just wanted something since I have pretty much everything in the US list except Super Stardust HD. Still cool of them to do something and I wasn't even affected since I don't hardly ever play online.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I'm having a hard time with my JPN and HK account deciding on what I want to get, since most of the choices well...suck. Just would have been nice to have some variety between regions, but free is free.

And sorry about giving you a hard time about that, wasn't trying to imply you were trying to get something you weren't entitled too. Still it would be smart to set up accounts for multi-regions just because of the different content available.

[quote name='uncle5555']
And sorry about giving you a hard time about that, wasn't trying to imply you were trying to get something you weren't entitled too. Still it would be smart to set up accounts for multi-regions just because of the different content available.[/QUOTE]

Question, how would I get money on an account for the other regions of PS3?

That sounds like a good idea.

my old ps3 died with my jap and euro accounts on it, it can't remember which accounts was for which region but hopefully i can get more than 4 free games

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, how would I get money on an account for the other regions of PS3?

That sounds like a good idea.[/QUOTE]

youd have to buy psn cards from those regions. i think play asia sells them.

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl: STILL?!
I really haven't been checking up much because I gave up on PS3 a while ago.. las time I checked it was "supposed" to be up this tuesday that went by.[/QUOTE]

online is up and thats all that matters, who uses psn store anyway. when it was working i just browsed the lackluster stuff anyway

[quote name='timesplitt']who uses psn store anyway. [/QUOTE]

I would like to so I can use the code to activate my EA Online pass so I can play EA MMA my buddy online.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Was supposed to be back up guaranteed before May 31st...I'm KINDA thinking that isn't going to happen now. :/[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to Sony's E3 announcement of a store to purchase DLC and games.

[quote name='dabebop']Looking forward to Sony's E3 announcement of a store to purchase DLC and games.[/QUOTE]

A store....for Playstation? You speak blasphemy

[quote name='dabebop']Looking forward to Sony's E3 announcement of a store to purchase DLC and games.[/QUOTE]

lmao ive heard rumors about such a thing but its hard to imagine how that would work......that said with them saying the store was supposed to be up tomorrow im annoyed we havent either heard they cant keep the timeline or have them let us know what to expect tomorrow.

Big surprise, but the store coming up has been post-poned AGAIN. Not happening tomorrow, instead they're saying "by the end of the week."

The "end of the week" thing is in regards to everything being fully restored. It's possible they will open up some things before then. I think they'll do it in waves, similar to how they turned on PSN in waves. I don't see them opening PSN store tomorrow though, but probably before Friday

[quote name='nbballard']I'd hate to be the guy hosting the e3 event if the store is still down.[/QUOTE]
This.
I foresee 800 360fanbois throwing cabbage at the poor soul.
All the Ps3 gamers will cower away in fear of the vegetable chucking terrors beside them...and all the Wii guys will laugh their asses off. :booty:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...including-playstation-store-return-this-week/
This press release just hit the wire – PlayStation Store and related services (like voucher redemption) back this week:
SONY AND SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE FULL RESTORATION OF PLAYSTATION®NETWORK SERVICES

Tokyo, May 31, 2011 – Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) announced today that Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) will fully restore all PlayStation®Network services in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea by the end of this week. The company will also resume Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity™ for PlayStation®3 (PS3®), PSP® (PlayStation®Portable), VAIO and other PCs. Details for Japan, Hong Kong, and South Korea as well as the remaining services on Qriocity will be announced as they become available.

The company implemented considerable security enhancements to the network infrastructure, as well as conducted testing of the payment process and commerce functions. The first phase of PlayStation Network and Qriocity restoration began on May 15 in the Americas and Europe/PAL territories, followed by Japan and Asian countries and regions on May 28, when the company brought partial services back online. With this partial restoration users were able to access to some of the services such as online game play, account management, friend lists and chat functionality were restored. The full restoration of PlayStation Network as well as part of services to become available on Qriocity will include:

• Full functionality on PlayStation®Store
• In-game commerce
• Ability to redeem vouchers and codes
• Full functionality on Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3, PSP, VAIO and
other PCs
• Full functionality on Media Go

Customers can now purchase and download games and video content from the PlayStation®Store on PS3 or PSP. In addition, consumers will have full access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity through PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PC’s. Service restoration of Video on Demand powered by Qriocity™ and Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for a variety of network-enabled Sony devices will be announced later.

“We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time.”

The company will be offering customers a “Welcome Back” package of services and premium content to all registered PlayStation Network* and Qriocity account services. The details of this program will continue to be detailed regionally.

* Only available for those countries with access to PlayStation®Store.
We will update the PlayStation Blog when the PlayStation Store is once again open for business.

[quote name='timesplitt']online is up and thats all that matters, who uses psn store anyway. when it was working i just browsed the lackluster stuff anyway[/QUOTE]
:applause: Althought I admit I bought SOME stuff, just nothing that was over $5-10 or it had to be on SALE for between those prices before I'd bite.:razz:

There are going to be some serious waja moments at that press conference and the potential intensity of them grows greater as the days till E3 tick by.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']There are going to be some serious waja moments at that press conference and the potential intensity of them grows greater as the days till E3 tick by.[/QUOTE]

what is a waja moment?

'Damage control' appears to be something that Sony has forgotten how to do. You don't wait until the morning the project is due to tell your customer you're going to deliver late. Although, at this point, this is not a surprise.

[quote name='dragonjud']'Damage control' appears to be something that Sony has forgotten how to do. You don't wait until the morning the project is due to tell your customer you're going to deliver late. Although, at this point, this is not a surprise.[/QUOTE]

When and where was there an official announcement that the store would return May 31?

[quote name='mwynn']When and where was there an official announcement that the store would return May 31?[/QUOTE]

I get it: they can do no wrong.
They haven't released an 'official' statement because they're as clueless today as the day they were hacked. And yes their statement was always: 'We will deliver by the end of May, unless of course, we don't deliver.'
If you like those types of statements, then fine. But (after living in the real world of Software development for about 18 years now) that crap is not accepted anywhere else.

[quote name='dragonjud']I get it: they can do no wrong.
They haven't released an 'official' statement because they're as clueless today as the day they were hacked. And yes their statement was always: 'We will deliver by the end of May, unless of course, we don't deliver.'
If you like those types of statements, then fine. But (after living in the real world of Software development for about 18 years now) that crap is not accepted anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

When=Time or Date
Where=Location

I now want the store up, so the posts whining about it will stop.

bread's done
Back