PSN Network Error

[quote name='yohsh']126 Platinums. Hopefully ill be able to earn more than that by the time I die.[/QUOTE]

the top ranking dude has 126 plats and is level 30. he even played demons souls TWICE and even hannah montana >.> and got plat on all three

[quote name='zxghost']the top ranking dude has 126 plats and is level 30. he even played demons souls TWICE and even hannah montana >.> and got plat on all three[/QUOTE]

^I know, he's on my friends list.

[quote name='whoknows']I actually don't plan to die.[/QUOTE]

well, you got 100 years to live. live it well because we will all be 10 feet under at one point unless you plan to be cremated and have your ashes turned into anal beads

Then isn't this literally a contest of how much money and time someone can spend on artificial rewards?

There is actually real competitive gaming out there that you can devote that same time to and actually be recognized for your "achievements."

It's all still fucked up and crazy. I was able to play GoW Collection. My console was still downloading the Darksiders demo but trying to get on the store resulted in errors. I could not play any of my PSOne Classics or downloaded games.

I've figured it out. There taking a page out of Microsoft's play book. Instead of making a faulty console on purpose they found a way to block all the phat ps3's from getting online thus making everyone buy a slim. Seems logical...
I'm joking. I can't get on psn. I don't have anything better to do.

[quote name='zxghost']well, you got 100 years to live. Live it well because we will all be 10 feet under at one point unless you plan to be cremated and have your ashes turned into anal beads[/quote]

10?

[quote name='panzerfaust']Then isn't this literally a contest of how much money and time someone can spend on artificial rewards?

There is actually real competitive gaming out there that you can devote that same time to and actually be recognized for your "achievements."[/QUOTE]

i agree to that. no point of being some level X or having y score until you prove your skills out in the open. i love going to cons to see people beating each other up in fighting games

I think we can officially say this is a software issue with the PlayStation 3 OS. PlayStation Network is fine on Slims and PSPs, our phat PS3s though are another story. I also set the clock up on my PS3 to tonight's clock and nothing happened.

[quote name='defmonkey05']Okay you're bitching at somebody about their trophies and yet you look up people with the highest platinum count? hmmm....[/QUOTE]

who said i was bitching?

[quote name='Anhmeister']10?[/QUOTE]
At least this isnt north korea, they only bury their dead in 3 feet of soil.

this is truly epic! I cannot believe I can't contribute anything to this thread, but yeah, watching a Blu Ray fine on my 60gb launch console. so weird! I wonder if its true that if I never turned it on today, and knew about this and waited, if everything would be ok, now I'm paranoid! Calendar problem for sure, mine shows 12/31, stock background.

Have you guys seen how many hits and comments the kotaku article has gotten? CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20035879&postcount=1675

[quote name='whoknows']What's the point of playing a game without trophies? I like everyone on my friends list to be able to see my skills.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 equivalent of this guy?
Xbawks2.png

[quote name='zxghost']who said i was bitching?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry dude, I'm wearing sandals cuz of all the sand I'm noticing. Almost thought I was at the beach!

[quote name='panzerfaust']Then isn't this literally a contest of how much money and time someone can spend on artificial rewards?

There is actually real competitive gaming out there that you can devote that same time to and actually be recognized for your "achievements."[/QUOTE]

How is that any different? In-fact, that actually seems quite hypocritical. You're saying playing in a competitive gaming league to win a "trophy" is fine, yet playing a game and unlocking a trophy for doing something in the game isn't? That's the most backwards logic I have ever heard.

How is one perfectly fine, and not the other? Trophies and achievements are meant to show you accomplished something in a game. Just like a trophy or medal, is given to you in real life if you accomplish something to get them. They are no different in theory, the only difference is one is digital, and one is something you can physically interact with.

[quote name='defmonkey05']I'm sorry dude, I'm wearing sandals cuz of all the sand I'm noticing. Almost thought I was at the beach![/QUOTE]

lolwut? xD

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Some people are reporting that it seems to be working again. If some CAG wants to go be the test guinea pig and let us all know for sure... then by all means, haha.[/QUOTE]

still busted.... I tried to set the date manually but that does:drool:

[quote name='FroMann']I think we can officially say this is a software issue with the PlayStation 3 OS. PlayStation Network is fine on Slims and PSPs, our phat PS3s though are another story. I also set the clock up on my PS3 to tonight's clock and nothing happened.[/QUOTE]

and I can easily confirm PSP's are working fine. I've had mine on all day, and visited the PSN store quite a few times today (using a PSP-Go).

[quote name='whoknows']I tried washing my PS3 because I thought it might be dirty. Now it's not even turning on! What do I do?[/QUOTE]

put it in the dryer.

Jokes aside, where's TMK? He showed up once in here but really, this is some frontline SDF stuff. I'm worried about him. Does anyone have his phone number?

[quote name='whoknows']I tried washing my PS3 because I thought it might be dirty. Now it's not even turning on! What do I do?[/QUOTE]
Blow into the disc drive.

Did you try putting it in the dryer?

Hrm, seems I was beaten to the punch.

[quote name='WrexManor']Can't assess my PSN games. Or go online.[/QUOTE]

Let me check if I can...

Nope. Is there something wrong with PSN?

[quote name='Halo05']Jokes aside, where's TMK? He showed up once in here but really, this is some frontline SDF stuff. I'm worried about him. Does anyone have his phone number?[/QUOTE]

His PS3 must have taken him down. I've barricaded myself in my room as a precaution, as I think I hear my console bashing on my do

[quote name='yohsh']Just hooked up my Nes. It also cant go online but I can still play duck hunt.[/QUOTE]

Is your NES white? If so, I have news for you - that's called a "Wii."

[quote name='DarkNessBear']It is reverting back to 1999 and unexsisting itself! Wahhhh!!![/QUOTE]

I guess I only see the funny side of it since I don't own one, but when you describe it like that it sounds like the most awesome problem ever.
[quote name='whoknows']just got back from buying one. ps3 is in the trash[/QUOTE]

This thread rules hard. Remember this one when the CAG awards show up next year.
[quote name='Nirron']...or did they PLAN this moment? Think about it.[/QUOTE]

The Dreamcast never stopped thinking, and now it has acted.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']How is that any different? In-fact, that actually seems quite hypocritical. You're saying playing in a competitive gaming league to win a "trophy" is fine, yet playing a game and unlocking a trophy for doing something in the game isn't? That's the most backwards logic I have ever heard.

How is one perfectly fine, and not the other? Trophies and achievements are meant to show you accomplished something in a game. Just like a trophy or medal, is given to you in real life if you accomplish something to get them. They are no different in theory, the only difference is one is digital, and one is something you can physically interact with.[/QUOTE]

So if you achieved something in a game, you'd be fine with digital points as opposed to physical money?

Let's not forget that these digital points can't be used for anything but to show other people how much money and time you've spent completing the menial tasks called "trophies" that developers put in their games to give you some false sense of accomplishment.

If a game was truly enjoyable, you wouldn't need a list of directions on how to enjoy it. Why do I need to be told to get 100 headshots on some shooter when I aim for the head anyways? Why do I need to get a certain lap time on a game when I'm always trying to beat my times regardless?

If you enjoy that crap then it's stupid for me to get angry about it, sure. I just find it so pathetic that people will go back through a game collecting things and doing tasks that don't give them any bonus content other than a little message popping up in the corner of the screen.

[quote name='panzerfaust']So if you achieved something in a game, you'd be fine with digital points as opposed to physical money?

Let's not forget that these digital points can't be used for anything but to show other people how much money and time you've spent completing the menial tasks called "trophies" that developers put in their games to give you some false sense of accomplishment.

If a game was truly enjoyable, you wouldn't need a list of directions on how to enjoy it. Why do I need to be told to get 100 headshots on some shooter when I aim for the head anyways? Why do I need to get a certain lap time on a game when I'm always trying to beat my times regardless?

If you enjoy that crap then it's stupid for me to get angry about it, sure. I just find it so pathetic that people will go back through a game collecting things and doing tasks that don't give them any bonus content other than a little message popping up in the corner of the screen.[/QUOTE]

and what per-say will a trophy or medal get you in real-life? Nothing, it will just sit there, so you can brag about what you accomplished. I don't get the hate on trophies or achievements. They, if done correctly, get you to try out new things in game, or trying something different. If you normally play something one way, an achievement might require you to switch up how you play the game; which can make it more fun and challenging, but rewarding at the same time.

Trophies and achievements aren't just about a "pop-up". It's about accomplishing something in a game. A great example of good use for trophies and achievements would be Dead Space. Specifically, beating the game using only the Plasma Cutter. Instead of using the entire barrage of guns you can get in the game, just using one gun the entire game add's a brand new challenge, and makes you think and play differently (I topped that off by playing on the hardest difficulty when I went for it).

As I said, it's not about just "getting points". You're right, they have no gain to them. You'll gain nothing personally from them. However, to those that can look past that, and play games for fun to begin with, you can find a whole slew of new things to try in a game, or new ways entirely to play a game simply by the achievements or trophies.

Certainly, you don't need them to tell you how to try new things either, but they are a nice way of saying: "Hey, I tried this and I accomplished this". That's really all they are there for; and in a way, they've been in gaming forever. Are you telling me you never 100%'ed a game? Never beaten a game? There is no personal gain to playing a game, beating a game, or 100%'ing a game.

Back then, if you went to 100% a game, you did it because you loved the game enough to keep playing it constantly. Not much of a difference here, the only thing that has changed is this now pretty much all gets recorded by trophies or achievements.

I'm just waiting for a "I had a picture of my family with my PS3 taped onto my rock band guitar. The PS3 is slowly fading away! HELP!" comment.

[quote name='Apushmataha']I'm just waiting for a "I had a picture of my family with my PS3 taped onto my rock band guitar. The PS3 is slowly fading away! HELP!" comment.[/QUOTE]
You win the internet. :applause:

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']and what per-say will a trophy or medal get you in real-life? Nothing, it will just sit there, so you can brag about what you accomplished. I don't get the hate on trophies or achievements. They, if done correctly, get you to try out new things in game, or trying something different. If you normally play something one way, an achievement might require you to switch up how you play the game; which can make it more fun and challenging, but rewarding at the same time.

Trophies and achievements aren't just about a "pop-up". It's about accomplishing something in a game. A great example of good use for trophies and achievements would be Dead Space. Specifically, beating the game using only the Plasma Cutter. Instead of using the entire barrage of guns you can get in the game, just using one gun the entire game add's a brand new challenge, and makes you think and play differently (I topped that off by playing on the hardest difficulty when I went for it).

As I said, it's not about just "getting points". You're right, they have no gain to them. You'll gain nothing personally from them. However, to those that can look past that, and play games for fun to begin with, you can find a whole slew of new things to try in a game, or new ways entirely to play a game simply by the achievements or trophies.[/QUOTE]

My gripe is that you wouldn't play Dead Space with only the plasma cutter if that little trophy didn't tell you to.

Where as before when trophies and achievements never existed, people did this kind of stuff all the time in games because they enjoyed them that much.

I don't mind trophies, really. When I'm doing something for fun, a little congratulations popping up on my screen is nice every now and then. As you said, they are simply a record of how much you love that game. Cool.

But let's be honest, many people simply play for those trophies, and not because those trophies are very enjoyable at all.

Collecting flags in Assassin's Creed? I'd rather pick up candy wrappers around my local park.

bread's done
Back