PSP Slim Redesign

can anyone post a photo of the new psp with the old battery in it? like laying flat on a table or as flat as it can with the battery bulge?

Rolento posted a link to Kotaku with a video of someone showing off the new PSP. One of the things he did was put the old battery in. It should be a few pages back in the thread.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The cable isn't out yet T.T[/QUOTE]

Its been spotted around. Tomorrow is the 'official' release date, right?

[quote name='takotchi']I know they fit; my point was, since they decided to put this sheet in with all the new PSPs, I'm assuming there won't be a new cover (in the US at least) because their stance is it's not officially "compatible". :roll:[/quote]

Why don't you wait a bit before assuming it's not going to happen. As Rei noted, they may just be disclaiming because it's "not compatible" out of the box.

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']I forget where I read that at. But I just compared the two batteries and the notches on the battery itself are not the same. I'm assuming Sony purposely did this for whatver reason. Obviously the batteries are foward-compatibility but not backwards.[/quote]
Err, don't know if this was mentioned or not (not that it matters), but the slim's battery does not work in the regular PSP. Tried it out after hearing about the hacked FW and the instructions state two batteries are needed and I only have one. I guess that's why the charger doesn't work either.

IMG_1027.jpg

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']Err, don't know if this was mentioned or not (not that it matters), but the slim's battery does not work in the regular PSP. Tried it out after hearing about the hacked FW and the instructions state two batteries are needed and I only have one. I guess that's why the charger doesn't work either.[/QUOTE]

actually you'll need three batteries an original phat psp and the new one to set it up. once a battery is converted to a "pandora" battery it won't function normally in a psp, its only use would be to recover from bricking or flashing firmware. but that's probably as much as should be said about it.

[quote name='Milkyman']actually you'll need three batteries an original phat psp and the new one to set it up. once a battery is converted to a "pandora" battery it won't function normally in a psp, its only use would be to recover from bricking or flashing firmware. but that's probably as much as should be said about it.[/quote]

Only needed two batteries (phat and slim) and my phat PSP. I'm going to convert my Pandora back.

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']Only needed two batteries (phat and slim) and my phat PSP. I'm going to convert my Pandora back.[/QUOTE]

oh i didn't know you could convert your pandora battery back to normal

[quote name='Milkyman']oh i didn't know you could convert your pandora battery back to normal[/quote]

Yeah, you just go into the battery creator and then hit L+R together (as long as you backed up your battery's settings on the MS which you do by hitting square (I think) in the program). It didn't take the first time so I freaked. Then I tried it again and no problems.

The whole process was a little nerve racking because I was risking my phat's battery and my brand new slim. But as long as you follow the instructions completely and carefully, no problem and it only takes about 30 minutes (like I said, I really took my time). What I didn't know when I started the process was that you need Windows to do it. Luckily I have it virtualized on my Mac.

If anyone is wondering I used the guide HERE. Pretty easy to follow.

[quote name='yoursisterspretty']Yeah, you just go into the battery creator and then hit L+R together (as long as you backed up your battery's settings on the MS which you do by hitting square (I think) in the program). It didn't take the first time so I freaked. Then I tried it again and no problems.

The whole process was a little nerve racking because I was risking my phat's battery and my brand new slim. But as long as you follow the instructions completely and carefully, no problem and it only takes about 30 minutes (like I said, I really took my time). What I didn't know when I started the process was that you need Windows to do it. Luckily I have it virtualized on my Mac.

If anyone is wondering I used the guide HERE. Pretty easy to follow.[/QUOTE]
i second the guide, it's great.... and works flawlessly!

Got my slim today. It's awesome.

Shame I need another PSP to get custom firmware on it.

Now I need to pick up 2 games from the CC sale. Anyone have any suggestions?

[quote name='whoknows']Got my slim today. It's awesome.

Shame I need another PSP to get custom firmware on it.

Now I need to pick up 2 games from the CC sale. Anyone have any suggestions?[/quote]
I'm a new PSP owner (got the Daxter pack), and I'm having a blast with Megaman Powered Up, if you can find it.

Mana Knight posted a gigantic list of recommendations in the "PSP Must Haves" thread a little ways down on this page of threads.

Not to threadcrap, but this is what i've gotten so far, and i've barely had my new slim for a week. In addition to Daxter and Family Guy UMD.

Wipeout Pure
Burnout Legends
Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play
Crush
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Jeanne D'Arc
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Killzone: Liberation
MLB '07 The Show
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

And on 10/10 (delayed?).... the reason I bought a PSP in the first place... FFT: War of the Lions.
I should check the Must Have thread to see how close I came :)

Hot Shots Golf is a MUST for any PSP owners. That game kicks ass! I've had it since I first bought my Phat and I still love it! There's a ton of items to unlock. Lumines and Lumines II are also pretty good. If you're a sports fan the MLB The Show games are excellent.

So, is it confirmed that your TV doesn't have to be progressive to play games through the slim?

I have an SDTV with component inputs.

[quote name='GalacticAE']So, is it confirmed that your TV doesn't have to be progressive to play games through the slim?

I have an SDTV with component inputs.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm pretty sure the exact opposite has been confirmed. The system would have to include more hardware to be able to convert it to something other than it's native resolution while playing games.

I ordered a slim but canceled it right after. Some people have reported it as feeling more cheap, but is that just because it's lighter? I know the UMD slot is much more simplified... but I think what really kicked it was that I was spending $200 for TV out and a better Dpad when I had a perfectly fine PSP already. Not like the slims are increasing in price anyway so if my fat psp ever craps out I can replace it.

Target got a price mistake on their website couple days ago, $169.99 for the daxter bundled. Took a screenshot of the webpage, and took it to BB and price match it. Got 3 of them, gonna sell it and get an import ceramic white.
Looking at the silver PSP from outside of the bundle box, the silver one looks fugly.... like a cheap plastic knock off.....

[quote name='BladeZ']

the reason I bought a PSP in the first place... FFT: War of the Lions.
[/QUOTE]
I bought the phat one during launch, just play lumines on it.... then sold it after 1 year.
Now im gonna buy the psp again just to play FFT.

if you don't like plastic knock offs i don't think getting any other color will help much. As far as I (or anybody else I think) knows, all of them wil be having the "glossy" "plasticky" feeling, even the japanese ones except just in 3 extra colors.

Being a

if you don't like plastic knock offs i don't think getting any other color will help much. As far as I (or anybody else I think) knows, all of them wil be having the "glossy" "plasticky" feeling, even the japanese ones except just in 3 extra colors.

Being as this is my

Being as this is my first psp though, this thing is pretty neat. Only thing is I dunno if it's the slimness or the placement of the buttons/analog nub or whatever, but sometimes my hands get cramped up/tired when playing.

I think people are equating the weight of the system with it feeling "cheap". I love mine, for me it seems like a significant step up from the original PSP. Games (which is what I bought it for, I could care less about the movies, music, etc.) play much better. I found a component cable today and that improves the gameplay even further. I played MGS:pO for an hour without any sort of hand fatigue which isn't something I could say about the old PSP. My current gripe is how small the game is on the TV. I have a 42 inch TV and MGS:pO took up maybe the middle 30 inches (measured diagonally).

[quote name='akilshohen']So unless you have a HDTV you're SOL with playing it on a TV? Also, why are these cords so hard to find?[/QUOTE]

Yes to the first part, even SDTVs with component inputs won't be able to play games with the component cables.

The cords won't be hard to find in a couple weeks. It just seems like they got sent out a couple days after the silver PSPs.

EDIT - I got mine at the Target in Roanoke, VA. They had one left out on the shelf (along with 3 or 4 of the AV cable sets) after I left. Dunno if they have more in the back.

[quote name='Rocko']Please excuse my ignorance, but I download it to the computer, hook up the PSP through USB and put it on that way? Into any particular folder? :oops:[/QUOTE]

I think yu can throw it in the video folder. that's all I know.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think yu can throw it in the video folder. that's all I know.[/quote]
I don't have a video folder. Common, Savedata, System, and Game. That's it. And none of them recognize it, it seems.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't have a video folder. Common, Savedata, System, and Game. That's it. And none of them recognize it, it seems.[/QUOTE]

go up one folder...

did you format your stick when you got it? it automaticly makes the right folders for you ahead of time.

[quote name='imascrub']if you don't like plastic knock offs i don't think getting any other color will help much. As far as I (or anybody else I think) knows, all of them wil be having the "glossy" "plasticky" feeling, even the japanese ones except just in 3 extra colors.

Being as this is my first psp though, this thing is pretty neat. Only thing is I dunno if it's the slimness or the placement of the buttons/analog nub or whatever, but sometimes my hands get cramped up/tired when playing.[/QUOTE]
i had a black phat psp before, the black ones look great, more like glass than plastic..... except theyre different with the new slim psp.

hm i haven't seen or held the black psp slims (and been a long time since I held the old psp), but maybe it's cuz the black and white are solid colors that make it give off that look/feeling. The silver is kind of speckled like metallic paint on cars.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']go up one folder...

did you format your stick when you got it? it automaticly makes the right folders for you ahead of time.[/quote]
"up one folder"?

And no, it would seem not, if I don't have a video folder.

Edit: Alright, I transfered my save data to the comp and formatted the stick via the PSP, and got the video on. I can't tell if it's a dead or stuck pixel, so if it isn't fixed after 15 minutes I'll just return it. Thanks for the help.

Just curious, when you put files in the VIDEO folder, do they still have to be named the PSP name? I tried putting stuff in my Video Folder and it never works, I have to use the old format with a top level folder.

Well, that video didn't fix my PSP, so I returned it to Target, took my money, and went to buy a new one at Gamestop with my $250 in credit. The new one has no pixel issues that I can see, and the analog nub doesn't click like the old one, so I believe my other unit had a faulty analog nub.

All in all a great swap, as I got to use my credit and get a better unit.

Yeesh. Amazon finally shipped my slim. Via Parcel Post, which is a little disappointing as they usually automatically upgrade me to UPS 2day when the item cost is over $100. If I'm lucky it should get to me towards the end of next week, but maybe not until the following week. Oh well, Monster Hunter 2 will have to wait a little while longer.

I've just heard that the d-pad has been greatly improved on the Slim. Has anyone tried it with any fighting games such as Street Fighter? From the photos it looks like it's raised a bit higher and looking at photos of the insides I'd say it looks like it is. The d-pad really sucked on the old one and even my friend who has a more recent manufactured old model, his also has d-pad issues (which I heard were supposedly fixed by now).

I tried it with Tekken. All the buttons are better. They feel more sturdy. Also like you mentioned, the D-pad is raised up higher so it feels a lot nicer.

Damnit, does anyone know when the piano black is coming out? I'm hearing Sept 24th, Oct 1st, and even November now.

I'm starting to really like the silver color now, I bought it yesterday, looked at the box for a few hours griping about it. Eventually I opened it, and it looks great. Reminds me of silver car paint, its pretty slick looking.

I finally bought a PS2 Slim today (the Daxter Bundle). I can now finally play all these games I have bought on clearance:
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
Metal Gear Portable Ops
Darkstalkers
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Guilty Gear Judgement
Lumines
Lumines II
Ultimate Ghost N Goblins

Man, this is going to be a great month of gaming.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I've just heard that the d-pad has been greatly improved on the Slim. Has anyone tried it with any fighting games such as Street Fighter? From the photos it looks like it's raised a bit higher and looking at photos of the insides I'd say it looks like it is. The d-pad really sucked on the old one and even my friend who has a more recent manufactured old model, his also has d-pad issues (which I heard were supposedly fixed by now).[/quote]

i played a little SFA3 Max last night and the dpad feels amazing

bread's done
Back