PSP Slim Redesign

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']in a way it is improved. It's a smaller battery with the same amount of time as the larger one. so in a way, they've figured a way to use less power.

still wont make people happy oddly enough even though the PSP already has great amount of battery time.[/QUOTE]

That's some kind of weird fanboi myth. I mean I'm always up for more battery life, but I've never run down my Playstation Portable OR DS in years of use (and that's with a now 2 1/2 year old battery.

CNET actually did a comparison, and said the Playstation Portable came out ahead of the DS Lite in battery life.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's some kind of weird fanboi myth. I mean I'm always up for more battery life, but I've never run down my Playstation Portable OR DS in years of use (and that's with a now 2 1/2 year old battery.

CNET actually did a comparison, and said the Playstation Portable came out ahead of the DS Lite in battery life.[/QUOTE]

I have run down my PSP on a few occasions due to the power LED being covered up when playing (thumb). Never on my DS since the light is visible all the time.

How is that possible? I only get about 4 hours out of my PSP (currently playing Syphon Filter) whereas I can get at least 8 out of my DS (currently playing Phoenix Wright, 2nd level brightness). It's contrary to my experience since I've had my PSP since March and my DS for over a year.

I do want more battery life out of the PSP. Plus it's a pain where the plug goes into the PSP if you leave it in during gameplay.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
CNET actually did a comparison, and said the Playstation Portable came out ahead of the DS Lite in battery life.[/QUOTE]

Link? All I know is that when I play the DS it lasts for at least 10-15 hours and the PSP only lasts around 4-5. I guess it is possible for the battery itself to be better since it has to run more complicated hardware but I could care less. The thing that really matters is actual playtime. It bothers me that the new PSP will only get up to 10 hours of playtime with the old battery which will stick out of the new slim. I don't think I'll bother with the new PSP.

Yeah, not on a decent level of brightness. Regardless, even 4 hours is fantastic. if you need more than that, you need another solution for powering it. I doubt my iPod can play video for 4 hours. My cell phone can't talk for anywhere close to 4 hours. But a PS2 level game system can last for 4? If true, that's fantastic.

I don't have a link, search for it if you want. Cnet's weekly Tivo show had it.

10-15 hours is easily obtainable on the DS Lite though maybe it depends on which games are taxing? I pushed at least 13 (or 15, I forgot) hours playing Phoenix Wright on the 3rd brightness setting. There is no way in hell the PSP can last even 8 hours for games. CNET is on crack.

[quote name='dallow']My DS lasts NO WHERE NEAR 10-15 hours.

Damn, I wish![/QUOTE]

DS Lite sorry. Could depend on which game you are playing I guess. I regularly get 10-15 though.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, not on a decent level of brightness. Regardless, even 4 hours is fantastic. if you need more than that, you need another solution for powering it. I doubt my iPod can play video for 4 hours. My cell phone can't talk for anywhere close to 4 hours. But a PS2 level game system can last for 4? If true, that's fantastic.

I don't have a link, search for it if you want. Cnet's weekly Tivo show had it.[/QUOTE]

It's not that I feel 4 hours isn't long enough...it's just that I feel like I am constantly charging the thing. With the DS you can play for a week or so and not have to charge it. It's not that it's a huge big deal but being that the new PSP is only offering a longer battery life with the old battery that will stick out from the system it doesn't exactly improve on the existing design. It's a letdown. As for the article I searched and came up empty...but even if they said its better they must be smoking some good shit because in the real world of playtime the DS obviously gets more. Take the DS out of the equation because it doesn't even matter...I'm just upset the NEW PSP won't play longer.

[quote name='jkam']
It's not that I feel 4 hours isn't long enough...it's just that I feel like I am constantly charging the thing. With the DS you can play for a week or so and not have to charge it. [/quote]

You shouldn't. Lithium batteries last longest if they're kept charged.

It's not that it's a huge big deal but being that the new PSP is only offering a longer battery life with the old battery that will stick out from the system it doesn't exactly improve on the existing design. It's a letdown. As for the article I searched and came up empty...but even if they said its better they must be smoking some good shit because in the real world of playtime the DS obviously gets more. [/QUOTE]

Maybe, but they tested the Playstation portable against the DS Lite and said the PSP got longer run time. I don't think even Nintendo has ever said 10-15 hours. Unless you're playing GBA games with the brightness to minimum or something.

I was kind of surprised by the results, but then the PSP's battery is over twice as larger.

At any rate, under normal usage neither of them should ever run out. And you have to keep any lithium battery charged up regardless.

can the new psp allow you to play your games on the big screen through that video output or only videos and pictures?

[quote name='bob330i']

How is that possible? I only get about 4 hours out of my PSP (currently playing Syphon Filter) whereas I can get at least 8 out of my DS (currently playing Phoenix Wright, 2nd level brightness). It's contrary to my experience since I've had my PSP since March and my DS for over a year.
[/QUOTE]

I've had my PSP since launch and don't have those problems. the only thing I can tnk of that would be eating your battery are games that have long load times... heck, I played nonstop with GTA LCS when it came out and got at least 7 hours out of it.

Battery life wasn't really an issue for me when I owned a PSP before. It lasts through a complete movie, which is usually enough for me. I never play for more than 3-4 hours at a time, due to my schedule.

I'm looking forward to the new slim model when it comes out. The improved d-pad and additional memory for faster load times are enough for me. And there are tons of games out now and planned for the future. Can't wait to import those shmup collections from Japan...

I would love to have one of those limited edition FFVII PSPs. There's only about 77,000 coming out in Japan only. That's a big mistake on Sony's part...if the consumer is willing to buy that special version of psp... don't make it a special edition, rather very limited edition, make a couple million of them, and let it put more psp units into the market, and pay sqaure enix, let them make some money off of the transactions, because its jut like paying a marketing firm to market your product. It's not like Sony has many first party games that could be designed into the psp. As a matter of fact, more special edition psps should enter the market with popular franchises imprinted on them. Just like Nintendo will make a pokemon, DS, N64, and oh god for the day that the pokemon Wii comes out..... my point is that.. if you got something, anything that will help get more systems out of the door, then don't make it a 'limited edition' make it available everywhere, to everyone. If sony could easily sell 1 million of those Final Fantasy units in Japan and the US... what harm could a boost in sales do..

[quote name='Thomas96']I would love to have one of those limited edition FFVII PSPs. There's only about 77,000 coming out in Japan only. That's a big mistake on Sony's part...if the consumer is willing to buy that special version of psp... don't make it a special edition, rather very limited edition, make a couple million of them, and let it put more psp units into the market, and pay sqaure enix, let them make some money off of the transactions, because its jut like paying a marketing firm to market your product. It's not like Sony has many first party games that could be designed into the psp. As a matter of fact, more special edition psps should enter the market with popular franchises imprinted on them. Just like Nintendo will make a pokemon, DS, N64, and oh god for the day that the pokemon Wii comes out..... my point is that.. if you got something, anything that will help get more systems out of the door, then don't make it a 'limited edition' make it available everywhere, to everyone. If sony could easily sell 1 million of those Final Fantasy units in Japan and the US... what harm could a boost in sales do..[/quote]

I think they chose the number 77,777 to celebrate the "7" in Final Fantasy VII. But yeah, they probably could have instantly sold 777,777 of them easily between the US and Japan alone.

[quote name='Kendro']I think they chose the number 77,777 to celebrate the "7" in Final Fantasy VII. But yeah, they probably could have instantly sold 777,777 of them easily between the US and Japan alone.[/QUOTE]

yeah I know.. but the goal isn't just to celebrate it's to sell units... a FFVII is a good gimmick to get people to bite on some systems.. but don't stop at 77,777, how about 700,000 units w/ FFVII artwork...

then do the same when monster hunter comes out.. 500 - 700,000 units of Monster hunter psps... there's always a new customer waiting to purchase a unit.

[quote name='xeno']So yea how much is willing to spend on the FF PSP im willing to spend up to 300[/quote]

Probably $0, I'm not liking the silver PSP much (though a chrome silver would be nice). If they had them in a color I liked such as black or white, I'd probably spend no more than how much the originals cost. I also prefer the regular versions so with that being said I don't have to worry about missing out on these limited editions.

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear about some trade-in deals for the PSP Slim. I asked how much it was to trade in the old PSP at my GameStop and they told be 60 bucks. What would your guys' estimates be when they do the trade-in deal?

[quote name='AndrewCP']Probably $0, I'm not liking the silver PSP much (though a chrome silver would be nice). If they had them in a color I liked such as black or white, I'd probably spend no more than how much the originals cost. I also prefer the regular versions so with that being said I don't have to worry about missing out on these limited editions.

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear about some trade-in deals for the PSP Slim. I asked how much it was to trade in the old PSP at my GameStop and they told be 60 bucks. What would your guys' estimates be when they do the trade-in deal?[/QUOTE]

They have a black one. I'm surprised at how many times people forget that sony is selling a core pack of a black slim PSP.

corebundle.jpg

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/PressReleases/407

I don't know what color I'm going to get... I wish you could just change the outer shell without voiding the warranty.

I wonder if these will be hard to find at launch like the DS lite and if all of the regular PSP accessories will work on it (car chargers, wall ac adaptors, USB charge and data cables, etc...).

[quote name='Thomas96']I don't know what color I'm going to get... I wish you could just change the outer shell without voiding the warranty.[/QUOTE]

on my regular I've taken the front off so many times and the warranty is still valid. It's a easy trick that dosn't require any special materials or anything... just common sense if you know where stuff is located... plus the risk is barely there.

I just wish they offered a white one...or some other color. They just have black, and silver which I like even less (and then that Darth Vader one, which I don't want).

I want a new one, but hate having to buy black again.

[quote name='alongx']PSP slim = waste of time[/QUOTE]

Thank you for gracing us with your glorious insights!

[quote name='imascrub']they will be having the white one for a limited time when the darth vader one comes out i think[/QUOTE]

Right, I want just a white one (blue would be cool too...) Right now I guess I'd be stuck buying another black one, which is pretty boring.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']on my regular I've taken the front off so many times and the warranty is still valid. It's a easy trick that dosn't require any special materials or anything... just common sense if you know where stuff is located... plus the risk is barely there.[/QUOTE]

oh I thought you had to void the warranty to get the front off...

And that's it right? Just a black one, a grey/silver one, and a Darth Vader one, right? :(

I'd get just a plain white one :(

Anyone know if they fixed the fuking ghosting on the screen? That shit get's on my nerves just as much as a shitty frame rate.

If they do fix the ghosting then I'll be importing one of these babies.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']Anyone know if they fixed the fuking ghosting on the screen? That shit get's on my nerves just as much as a shitty frame rate.

If they do fix the ghosting then I'll be importing one of these babies.[/QUOTE]

Totally.. that was one of biggest problems with the original and no one talked about it. We haven't heard the screen is getting changed at all so it sounds like its the same ghost fest. Letdown..

The screen's response time isn't THAT bad. Seems like roughly 25ms to me, or maybe a bit better. I do hope they improved it and increased the brightness, but I'll still take the larger size over a faster/brighter screen.

[quote name='Chitown021']Will these puppies be wait-in-line rare like the original was when it launched?[/quote]

I'd think not.

Stupid question....I plan on getting this to play FFT and read that the battery life on the psp isn't too great. Will I be able to play the thing with the AC adaptor hooked up to an outlet without using the battery?

[quote name='anarchyburger']i wonder if this will be worth the 200 bones, what do you guys think?

will this make the psp as successful as the ds lite?[/quote]

The PSP? No, it's worth $170, the MSRP. If you mean the Daxter bundle, then yes, it's worth $200. It's definitely a value at $200.

But, no, a redesign (not on par with the DS-DS Lite redesign, even) won't magically make the PSP more popular than the DS.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Was a solid date given yet? Particularly on the White Star Wars one?[/quote]

Sept. 10th for the Daxter bundle, Oct. 11th for the Start Wars one, and I think the plain black one just sells when it sells ;)

I am trying really hard to justify a PSP purchase, but with the insane amount of top tier games coming out across all platforms, it may just have to wait longer. My backlog is nuts right now and I feel guilty when I see al the preorders I have already.

bread's done
Back