PSP Slim Redesign

The old version will of course continue to be updated. I'd guess the firmware will have to be slightly different on each version, but a single installer will install the correct version (which will have the same version number).

They would already have to be doing this on different versions of the PS3.

[quote name='TimPV3']Jesus Christ, the PSP isn't a failure. The DS is just a COLOSSAL success. And the bundle is a great deal, if you can't consider that a drop you're crazy. A 1GB stick, free UMD and a $20 game for $30? Plus a new and improved PSP for the price of the current one? fucking deal.[/QUOTE]

It may not be a failure, but compared to sales of the DS it is definantly a disappointment... considering the DS was only supposed to be a temporary thing for nintendo while they readied the next gameboy... publications all but handed Sony the title in this handheld war... initial success from Sony faded as the DS rode the wave of positive buzz in Japan (wheere the system is poised to become the best seller of ALL TIME) and the redesigned DSlite... I myself am amazed at it, but happy for nintendo, and from a nostalgia standpoint am pulling for them this generation

BTW, I have all 3 current gen systems, I have a DS and 2 PSP's so Im not a fanboy of any system

I do want one of the new psp's, at least it is being done in a way that won;t alienate the owners of older PSPs... the battery life, tv output, and lighter weight make it a must for me

[quote name='zman73']It may not be a failure, but compared to sales of the DS it is definantly a disappointment...[/quote]

I don't think that reasoning works. The DS was an unqualified success. That doesn't change the Playstation Portable being just a "normal" success or detract from it somehow.

considering the DS was only supposed to be a temporary thing for nintendo while they readied the next gameboy... publications all but handed Sony the title in this handheld war... initial success from Sony faded as the DS rode the wave of positive buzz in Japan (wheere the system is poised to become the best seller of ALL TIME) and the redesigned DSlite... I myself am amazed at it, but happy for nintendo, and from a nostalgia standpoint am pulling for them this generation

I was when this all started out, but I'm not anymore. I was soured on them when the Fanbois first started their Anti-Sony campaign, and then more so when it became clear Nintendo was focusing more on gimicks and casual gamers than real gamers. That's fine-for them-but isn't good enough for anyone who's into games enough to actually be talking about them. (Plus the reality is I have at least as much fun with my PSP as my DS, and every DS game I've loved could have been done as well or better on the PSP, making it annoying that it was released instead on inferior hardware).

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't think that reasoning works. The DS was an unqualified success. That doesn't change the Playstation Portable being just a "normal" success or detract from it somehow.[/quote]Certainly, the PSP is the only handheld to be even reasonably successful against a Nintendo product. But, coming out, Sony and everyone else assumed the PSP was going to steamroll Nintendo's Game Boy and new DS systems and that the Playstation brand would once again oust Nintendo from a top spot in their own field.

Obviously, that will not happen, not by a long shot.

So, in hindsight in regard to Sony's hubris, it was/is indeed a failure. As far as being a competitor against Nintendo and another option for handheld gaming, it's doing pretty well.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Brian Ashcraft posted some of his impressions of the redesign, certainly sounds like they fixed the d-pad.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/hands-on/psp-slim-277554.php[/QUOTE]
Awesome. :D
[quote name='MadFlava']I'm a bit dissappointed that it doesn't come with some tpe of built in flash memory. It's still going to rely on memory sticks which is kindof disappointing. Other than that I'm glad I waited, I have 6 great psp games I picked up on clearance and I need the system to finally enjoy them.[/QUOTE]Problem is, if it would have included around 8-20GB, PSP would just be too expensive for the average consumer.
[quote name='TimPV3']Jesus Christ, the PSP isn't a failure. The DS is just a COLOSSAL success. And the bundle is a great deal, if you can't consider that a drop you're crazy. A 1GB stick, free UMD and a $20 game for $30? Plus a new and improved PSP for the price of the current one? fucking deal.[/QUOTE]
I agree.

hm when is this coming out again? Somehow the addition of extra battery life alone has made me consider getting one again, even though there probably aren't that many games I'd play on it lol...but hey at least I'd be ready for Crisis Core!

[quote name='imascrub']hm when is this coming out again? Somehow the addition of extra battery life alone has made me consider getting one again, even though there probably aren't that many games I'd play on it lol...but hey at least I'd be ready for Crisis Core![/QUOTE]

I am probably wrong but I think September.

I'm sorry... TV out is a brilliant feature addition, period. For those of us that actually take our PSP on the road as a PORTABLE system, such as hotels ($10 a movie!) or relative's houses (that do not own entertainment centers, just VHS) this is IT. One compact device that handles movies, games, pictures, and web browsing on a TV - please, this feature isn't so you sit at home and play on your normal TV (though probably enjoyable). I swear, people get down on the PSP without even evaluating all the incredible features as intended. Obviously, the PSP's features are beyond what some in this thread would imagine to use. Its an improvement over the original design, but I am never one to double dip.

-Dr. Ugly

[quote name='Wolfpup']I was when this all started out, but I'm not anymore. I was soured on them when the Fanbois first started their Anti-Sony campaign[/QUOTE]

It's beyond puerile to make this into a "They said it first" argument, but did you conveniently forget the pages upon pages of "Sony is gonna destroy nintendo and with no haldhelz they will go bankruptz! Lolz!" posts when they announced the PSP? It's easy enough to dig them out, right on this very site. It's annoying no matter where it comes from, but to act like this is a new thing? Not even close.

[quote name='Wolfpup']and then more so when it became clear Nintendo was focusing more on gimicks and casual gamers than real gamers.[/QUOTE]

Nothing personal, but that's a load of happy horseshit. Care to define a "real" gamer? Let me guess: it begins and ends with "Polishes Sony knob"?

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's fine-for them-but isn't good enough for anyone who's into games enough to actually be talking about them.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. Seriously.

[quote name='daroga']Certainly, the PSP is the only handheld to be even reasonably successful against a Nintendo product. But, coming out, Sony and everyone else assumed the PSP was going to steamroll Nintendo's Game Boy and new DS systems and that the Playstation brand would once again oust Nintendo from a top spot in their own field.

Obviously, that will not happen, not by a long shot.

So, in hindsight in regard to Sony's hubris, it was/is indeed a failure. As far as being a competitor against Nintendo and another option for handheld gaming, it's doing pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was getting at, I never called the PSp a failure, but seeing how it was supposed to dominate a much less powerful handheld... and didnt... that IS disappointing because Nintendo is steamrolling Sony currently... if only because nintendo is selling ungodly amounts of the DS, but I wouldnt put the psp's sales numbers as being bad on their own...

I love both systems... but I have friends who refuse to even play the DS because it is a less powerful system... it has great games, that is all that matters... to them good graphics = better system

If I can get remote play working well, I'll probably sell my psp to my brother for 100.00 and pick the slim up.

If not, then I'll stick with the fat slightly over weight PSP ;)

Interesting stat. DS Lite feels a lot lighter than the original DS and there is only a 20% difference in weight. 33% is going to make the PSP Slim feel like a feather (basically twice the weight of a Game Boy Micro).

I'll definitely be trading in my old one when the new ones come out. I play my PSP far more than my DS, so it's worth it for me. Probably going to get that Star Wars one.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I'll definitely be trading in my old one when the new ones come out. I play my PSP far more than my DS, so it's worth it for me. Probably going to get that Star Wars one.[/QUOTE]Same, I play my PSP so much, I just gotta get a new one. I kind of like that white of the Star Wars one, but I'm no Star Wars fan, so I'll stick to silver. ;)

I might have to consider a second PSP now. With my 1.5 still being used for homebrew software and games, and one of the most influential people behind the homebrew scene gone, I might find reason to fork for one, especially if it's a new model, comes with Daxter (which I've been meaning to play), the Family Guy collection, all without feeling, it's a consideration. Just that.

anybody notice that in some pictures, the silver psp has clear buttons and d-pad, and the X O Sq Tr and the d-pad arrows are see through underneath, and in some pictures the buttons and d-pad are solid colors? I think the pictures show this for the white one as well. Does anybody know if they are going to be clear or solid colored for sure? It's a minor cosmetic preference but I'd prefer the clear buttons just cuz it looks slicker lol, and also keeps it in line with the clear L and R buttons

[quote name='naes']Should I sell my old PSP w/ a 1GB Memory Stick for $170 CAD so I could get the new PSP?[/QUOTE]

my guess is that, like with the DS lite release, EB games will have a trade in offer for it as it gets near to release.

[quote name='seanr1221']So what's going to happen to all the old psp? Phased out, or price reduction?[/QUOTE]

expect it to be phased out with a retailer price reduction... probably only at game specialty stores though for the price drop.

there may be a higher demand for them on ebay though due to homebrew being more friendly now.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']my guess is that, like with the DS lite release, EB games will have a trade in offer for it as it gets near to release.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Guess I'll wait for that to trade mine in (besides not wanting to give up my PSP until I have to!)

I was gonna possibly get a PSP this XMas after seeing several used PSPS for under $130. Now I'm probably going to wait and save up a bit next year and get the newer version. It's hard to resist longer battery life, and even harder to resist the ability to play it on the TV. Most of the "great" PSP games can be had for under $20 to boot, with the exception of Portable Ops it seems.

"Gutted new PSP"

Digging through a new PSP manual, 0okm has uncovered a few smaller details about the updated system (aside from what Jack Tretton already told us in a Kotaku exclusive interview).

- Its TA-085 PCB motherboard is homebrew-conducive.
- USB can be used to charge the battery.
- The battery has been shrunk from 1800mAh to 1200mAh, but retains hour rating.
- Old PSP remote is not compatible.
- WLAN switch has been relocated to top.
- TV-out cable is not included.

I would have traded more battery life for slimmer and lighter, so the new battery with an equal runtime rating is a bit of a disappointment.

Smaller battery- same amount of charge time? boo.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Everything about this "re-design" screams meh. Sony had a real chance to get me interested in the PSP again, and totally dropped the ball.[/quote]Really, there's not much they could/can do with it. Physcially, the machine was designed pretty well from the get go. The cries for flash memory replacing UMD, a real analog stick, 2 analog sticks, etc. would all have to come into from an actual new system, not a hardware refresh. With the size of the screen on the original system, even the form factor is kinda stuck unless they shrunk the screen, which I don't think too many people would be in favor of.

[quote name='daroga']Really, there's not much they could/can do with it. Physcially, the machine was designed pretty well from the get go. The cries for flash memory replacing UMD, a real analog stick, 2 analog sticks, etc. would all have to come into from an actual new system, not a hardware refresh. With the size of the screen on the original system, even the form factor is kinda stuck unless they shrunk the screen, which I don't think too many people would be in favor of.[/QUOTE]Pretty much.

I'm very excited about the new features. I absolutely can't wait to buy a 2nd PSP, that will count to being sold by Sony (since I'm going to buy it new). The new features are enough for me to spend $250, but its only $200 for the bundle, so I'll buy that. I'll buy that video out cable for sure.

IMO, PSP was near perfect to begin with, except for the D-pad and a few minor things. I don't think a 2nd analog stick is needed. Early PS1 games and DC games didn't need one, so I don't see why PSP does.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
IMO, PSP was near perfect to begin with, except for the D-pad and a few minor things. I don't think a 2nd analog stick is needed. Early PS1 games and DC games didn't need one, so I don't see why PSP does.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't just early PS1 games, it was virtually all of them. Yet people seem to forget that.

I disagree about the d-pad though. Every PSP I've used has been fine-better than the 360's, that's for sure (though various 360 pads I've used have had differing qualities). And I would have preferred a second analog stick (in the original model)...and a brighter screen now.

I just booted up my old DS that I'm going to sell, and I can't believe how terrible the screen looks. I thought it was fantastic when I bought it :D

1157277059PSPRedesign.jpg
I was expecting a more radical change like this. Unfortunately they decided to keep that big ass ugly form factor.

Well that sucks about the battery life, so the only reason im buying this is for the TV out now. I rarely play my games on the go (only on occasion on my lunch break) so portability has never been a great feature for me. Once they announce the cable for the TV out price I'll have to decide this or get a used PSP for $100ish on eBay.

Hm, smaller battery = same run time? That's disappointing.

I'm still sold on it though, unless they reveal that the load times aren't better either. If that ends up being the case, I'll give up and stick with DS Lite.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']anyone scared the redesign won't fix the hand cramping?[/quote]

Still will. I usually try to put it on my lap if I'm playing something. A big help to that problem would've been moving the nub above the D-pad. As it is, the most comfortable way to play is using the bottom of the thumb, but then you sacrifice grip and precision. The grid on the nub simply won't grip the bottom of the thumb, so usually you have to play with the tip of the thumb, which causes cramping.

hmm smaller battery same runtime huh

what was that that was mentioned awhile back about 3-5 hours becoming 8-10 hours? Can the larger capacity battery still be used?

[quote name='Wolfpup']It wasn't just early PS1 games, it was virtually all of them. Yet people seem to forget that.

I disagree about the d-pad though. Every PSP I've used has been fine-better than the 360's, that's for sure (though various 360 pads I've used have had differing qualities). And I would have preferred a second analog stick (in the original model)...and a brighter screen now.

I just booted up my old DS that I'm going to sell, and I can't believe how terrible the screen looks. I thought it was fantastic when I bought it :D[/QUOTE]My mistake, but true anyway. The only true PS1 to really utilize a 2nd stick was Ape Escape, others just used it for stuff that wasn't really needed (like a racing game to drive). Most games just needed one stick. It wasn't until the PS2 came around, when games started to use two sticks. Two sticks won't make PSP games better IMO, devs just need to stop doing direct ports of PS2 type games and trying to find a way to make it work on PSP (which wasn't meant for two analog sticks). Some games, like Daxter, LocoRoco, etc., prove two sticks aren't needed.

Well, I think the PSP d-pad is better than the 360 one, but I still found it hard to use (could be because I had a near launch PSP). Playing fighters was kind of difficult with it, due to the d-pad being pushed in too much.

Yeah, the old DS looks like crap now. I still haven't upgraded to a Lite (probably never will, since I rarely play my DS anyway).

Well to be fair, you can't say 2 sticks aren't needed just because PS1 games didn't need them. Imagine if Nintendo decided only to use 2 buttons for the SNES controller since NES games worked well with only 2 buttons (even Sega fudged up by only using 3 buttons for the Genesis). In my opinion, PS1 games are to PS2 what NES was to SNES (NES being the real birth for 2D and PS1 being the real birth of 3D). NES games were restricted by weak hardware and thus the games weren't complex and didn't require 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. It wasn't until the power of the SNES where we saw more complex games that needed the extra buttons.

I kinda view the PS1 as the same way. Though some 3D such as MGS was beautiful, the limited power of the hardware produced games that didn't need the 2nd stick. Now 2 sticks are as mandatory as a D-pad was 2 generations ago so I hope the PSP2 makes them standard. If the PSP was designed to have the power of a PS2, Sony should have had the foresight to see it would receive PS2-esque games. They should have included the 2nd analog.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']anyone scared the redesign won't fix the hand cramping?[/QUOTE]
I have the Nyko attachment that makes the PSP feel like a controller. Very comfortable.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I have the Nyko attachment that makes the PSP feel like a controller. Very comfortable.[/QUOTE]

that's useful for home play, but since I take it on the go alot, forget about it. I think the thinner size might actually make the cramping worse.

If you can't wait to get your hands on the redesigned PSP, than perhaps the inside look at the system, and it's manual over at Ookm will interest you. The blog post does a good job of not just showing what the new PSP version has for specs, but also what the original was equipped with (in case you forgot).

It's certainly interesting to see diagrams of how the new PSP will hook up to your TV, and where exactly those component cables will plug into. The post also shows off parts of the manual that explain the USB charging feature, the expanded main memory, how it will use a new remote, and exactly where the WLAN switch was moved to. It's all great info, but as a PSP fan it's always difficult to see a PSP ripped open.
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/07/16/a-look-at-the-redesigned-psps-insides-and-manual/

This blog has the pics (before some may get upset about battery life, I will mention that this new instruction manual probably refers to 333MHz, compared to the previous PSP at a lower clock frequency):
http://0okm.blogspot.com/2007/07/some-interest-thing-in-psp-200x.html

I thought it would support the PS3 component cable, but I guess not. Oh well, looks like I'll be buying another. I heard it had to use component to properly upscale.

bread's done
Back