PSP Slim Redesign

I told a friend of mine recently that tv output would be the feature that would make me buy a second psp.

.....damn Sony. :p

It should work out pretty well anyway - keep the old psp w/ hacked firmware, keep the new one legit. They'll probably be doing some ps3 game tie-in stuff soon anyway, and I'm sure you'll have to be running legit firmware for anything like that.

I'll stick with my old version. I just got it about one month ago, and this new version doesn't really add or fix anything I dislike about the original.

if all sony is offering with this redesign is a longer battery (which IMO, the battery on psp right now is fine), different colors (which I could really care less about) and a smaller design (again, I could really care less) then the extra money doesn't warrant it for me. my current psp is fine and I'm completely happy with it. I would only recommend this if DON'T already own a psp.

I modded my PSP a long while back and realized I didn't like what I had done (fixed d-pad, but it was worse) so I hav eit together again. There's some fuzz dust (a black gunk thing on edge of internal screen) that I can't get off from the inside of it and I've been waiting for a redisign so I can pick up a nice brand new one.

PSP is near perfect IMO and didn't need many adjustments.
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']d-pad is ultimate determining factor for me. that will show if I will get one or not.[/QUOTE]It looks fixed to me, because I noticed it sticks out more, when comparing it to my PSP.

PSP new
PSPNEWA.jpg

PSP-Videoout-porta.jpg

PSP-battery-comprtmnta.jpg

PSP old
PSPOLDA.jpg

PSP silver
PSPSilverA.jpg

PSPSilverA.jpg

PSP White
PSPWHITEA.jpg

PSPWHITEA.jpg

PSP-group%20shota.jpg

Got the pics from PSU

[quote name='argyle']I told a friend of mine recently that tv output would be the feature that would make me buy a second psp.

.....damn Sony. :p

It should work out pretty well anyway - keep the old psp w/ hacked firmware, keep the new one legit. They'll probably be doing some ps3 game tie-in stuff soon anyway, and I'm sure you'll have to be running legit firmware for anything like that.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Wife wants the new one for the TV out. She likes playing the PSP but not for long periods of time. She'd rather look at the TV screen. Now she'll finally play Valkyrie Profile.

I love the looks of the Daxter bundle...I just wish it didn't include Daxter tho (already beat the game on a friends psp)

To be honest, I couldn't tell the differences between the old psp and new psp...it doesn't look slimmer, but I bet once I see side by side stuff I'll be proved wrong

Man, does that "ice" silver look nice..

[quote name='Foo228']I love the looks of the Daxter bundle...I just wish it didn't include Daxter tho (already beat the game on a friends psp)

To be honest, I couldn't tell the differences between the old psp and new psp...it doesn't look slimmer, but I bet once I see side by side stuff I'll be proved wrong

Man, does that "ice" silver look nice..[/QUOTE]That's my problem too, since I already own Daxter. Since I only have a 512MB memory stick, I'm going to go ahead and buy the Daxter bundle. IMO, memory stick, silver PSP, Family Guy UMD (I like the show btw) for only $30 more?? I'll buy that instead.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the bundle will only be the silver PSP, but for such a good value as a first-timer to the system it's hard to pass up. I'd really like to see a black bundle though.

Do you think that the improved PSP load times for this new model will be significantly better on games like Midnight Club and WWE Raw vs Smackdown?

[quote name='davidjinfla']Do you think that the improved PSP load times for this new model will be significantly better on games like Midnight Club and WWE Raw vs Smackdown?[/quote]

For some reason, I think it'll only improve it "slightly"

So they lost the IR port? I've had a PSP for two years and had no idea it even HAD an IR port. What was it for? Ad-hoc?

I got my first PSP from Costco. It died after 1 1/2 years and returned it and got a different bundle in Feb. Looks like that one will be going back as well once the new unit is out. Star Wars bundle for me, most likely.

[quote name='Decker']So they lost the IR port? I've had a PSP for two years and had no idea it even HAD an IR port. What was it for? Ad-hoc?

[/quote]

Picture transfer and HB remote apps. Now you see why they took it out.

Gets a big 'ehh' from me. I was really hoping for something that was redesigned more like the DS Lite....but this is still OK. Raised buttons, TV out gets a big thumbs up from me. I wonder how much Sony will rape us for the cables? Will there be Composite, S-Video, Component?

I will have to make a decision if I was the Silver or wait for the White one. The Star Wars theme does nothing for me, but a white PSP would be cool.

[quote name='primetime']Picture transfer and HB remote apps. Now you see why they took it out.[/QUOTE]

Wait...it has an IR port? I remember the GBC had one too...that was useful :roll:

after seeing chewbacca at the sony conference i wish there was a chewbacca themed psp, id buy that day 1.

[quote name='Thomas96']So now the PSP games are going to be in HD? Or can they be in HD?[/quote]

they wont be high definition, they will just maintain their aspect ratio with no letter box

Do you think this (the TV out) will bring the UMD back from the "Grave"? Turns the PSP into a compact, portable DVD player pretty much.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Do you think this (the TV out) will bring the UMD back from the "Grave"? Turns the PSP into a compact, portable DVD player pretty much.[/QUOTE]

I just like it that I can play games on the TV. I think they decided to do so since they did surveys that showed feedback that most PSP users just stay home to play their games. I'm in the minority where I play 50/50 in and out.

Meh. Minimal redesign. I dont' have an HDtv so the tv out is kinda dumb (no widescreen) and the other additions don't make me regret my $100 PSP I bought with the 1GB stick. 3.40oe doesn't hurt either.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Do you think this (the TV out) will bring the UMD back from the "Grave"? Turns the PSP into a compact, portable DVD player pretty much.[/QUOTE]

No.. but downloadable movies will be great. Oh well, better get that 4gb pro duo card.

[quote name='SL4IN']if all sony is offering with this redesign is a longer battery (which IMO, the battery on psp right now is fine), different colors (which I could really care less about) and a smaller design (again, I could really care less) then the extra money doesn't warrant it for me. my current psp is fine and I'm completely happy with it. I would only recommend this if DON'T already own a psp.[/quote]Did you not even try to read the thread and actually see what's different about it?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']it does HD, which is nice. hopefully you wont need a ps3...[/quote] No, it's not HD.

[quote name='jer7583']Meh. Minimal redesign. I dont' have an HDtv so the tv out is kinda dumb (no widescreen) and the other additions don't make me regret my $100 PSP I bought with the 1GB stick. 3.40oe doesn't hurt either.[/quote] No, you don't need an HDTV to play (or even widescreen), why would you think so?

[quote name='Decker']I wonder what 64 MB of memory will do? Save your wifi settings. Will that be enough for game saves as well?[/quote]

That looks like a potential to hack the psp.

The 64mb internal is nice for the casual folks who don't want to save to a mem card.
That's plenty space for game saves.

[quote name='dallow']The 64mb internal is nice for the casual folks who don't want to save to a mem card.
That's plenty space for game saves.[/quote]

Approximately how large is a save file for a PSP game?

I really like how they simplified the UMD mechanics. What I'm waiting for though is battery tests.

I think the idea is laughable, but if it somehow could do 10 hours... ooo tempting.

Prolly gonna be more like 6-8 hours TOPS though. Cool they revamped it... just spoiled by the transformation of the DS into the DS Lite.

I to am waiting for battery life #'s, plus if they will bring out bigger batteries like the original....Plus, has anyone even seen how/where on the unit TV out is located?? Some ideas are good (64 mem), yet where is the GPS, and a better than the Japanese 1.3 megapixel camera? ...and where are all the great direct to PSP downloadable PS1 games?? Is the d-pad actually redesigned or just raised more..ala the nub?

Even though I almost never play my PSP I have to admit I'm very tempted by the Star Wars Battlefront bundle. That's a game I'd probably pick up anyway (please oh please let it be excellent 'cause then the decision would be made!). So I'd be getting the white Vader PSP for normal PSP pricing... I wish it was the silver one though (like everyone else I already have Daxter though - and a 1GB memory stick).

Hmmm... I do have that Neopets game and my daughter is interested in that. I could give her my old PSP :mrgreen:.

I really like the white one (i've wanted a psp in white since day 1) but do they all come with that stupid Star Wars image in the back???

I wasn't implying you needed an HDTV or widescreen for the TV out, I just think it'd be kind of pointless to play it on my TV with big black bars. Especially when I'm just using a small 20" sdtv. Certainly doesn't make me enthusaistic for the feature. Now if I had a widescreen tv, it'd be different.

Does anyone else worry that this thinner, flatter back design might be even harder to hold than the old PSP? At least with those small bumps you have some grip.

Works for me. I'll be trading up this fall.

And here's your hands on by Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/hands-on/psp-slim-277554.php

Slimmer, lighter and with a decent D-pad. The redesign is long overdue and slightly underdone. There are no major revisions, but simply a series of tweaks: the Wi-Fi switch has been moved to the portable's top and the speakers are above the buttons and the D-pad. The D-pad itself does get a proper rehaul and finally feels like, well, a D-pad. It's incredibly responsive and not mushy like the current iteration. The casing gets spiffed up with a coat of DS Lite style gloss. This is a needed revision — would've been nice to see it months ago.

[quote name='jer7583']I wasn't implying you needed an HDTV or widescreen for the TV out, I just think it'd be kind of pointless to play it on my TV with big black bars. Especially when I'm just using a small 20" sdtv. Certainly doesn't make me enthusaistic for the feature. Now if I had a widescreen tv, it'd be different.[/quote]

Haha, I don't think I would be ethusiastic about playing any videogame on a 20" screen.
Yeah, time to upgrade my friend, even if it isn't an HDtv.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']tv out is a nice feature, but the 200 dollar price just kills this. nintendo didnt release the dsl for 150, why would sony jack the price up again. stupid stupid stupid.[/QUOTE]

how did they jack up the price??? i thought someone said you get

system
1 gb memory
dexter
and a umd movie

system 169
1gb 20
game 10
movie 10

so they didnt jack up the system they just tossed in a bunch of crap

IMO this and the PS3 price drops were the only real E3 worthy announcements made this year.

That Daxter bundle is a steal...except I just bought Daxter last week! DOH! :lol: Even still the system itself is worth that without the (actually useful!) extras. A good game, good UMD, and actually useful 1GB Memory Stick is a great bundle.

The Vader pack...cool idea, except I don't want Vader on my Playstation! If it was Obi Wan, I'd have to have it, but I don't want that feeble minded bad guy on my system.

The hardware...not sure about the redesigned UMD drive. The current version works really well. Can't believe they got it 20% thinner :shock: And the battery is 600 MAH smaller, though the hardware might be more power efficient (I've never had any power issues-or load speed issues for that matter though).

Video out is really cool, assuming it does games too. I already buy anything I can on the PSP over the PS2, but this is the final nail in the coffin, when I can even play my PSP games on the big screen if I want!

I think I like white the best, so maybe I won't be able to get a bundle, since I guess the Daxter one is silver? :(

Bad-I guess the brightness wasn't increased? The DS Lite is brighter now, and I'd have liked a little boost on the PSP too. Also a second analog stick would be cool, though people seem to forget that two analog sticks weren't standard until late 2000 with the launch of the PS2, and games did just fine without them. Those people also haven't played Syphon Filter...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I hope the d-pad is fixed.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few of you mention that, but what was wrong with it? It's already the best d-pad that's ever been put on a portable, and it's better than the 360's pad. The only current system with a better pad is the PS3/PS2.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']And it continues to suck... even on a redesign the Sony/the PSP fail. :([/QUOTE]

It's not "failing" now, so I seriously doubt a nifty redesign and cool bundles are going to hurt it. The PSP outsells the 360, Wii, and Playstation 3, and outsold the DS until the Lite's release. It might be in second place for the handhelds, but it's still selling strong.

[quote name='rvdrock']Was the deal with the component output on there...I'm just checking, no way this outputs in HD, right?[/QUOTE]

I'd guess it can output in 480p. Obviously even if it was outputing in HD, it would just be scaling it up (versus your TV doing it).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']personally it kicks alot of the homeconsoles ass... the games are actually worth it and there's a wide variety of game types... plus sometimes I prefer lower end graphics over next gen stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think it's a great system, and has a completely undeserved bad wrap around here. It's been my main system the past couple of years (followed probably by the DS).

[quote name='Rocko']Approximately how large is a save file for a PSP game?[/QUOTE]

Roughly the same as a Playstation 2 save file. I have dozens of saves on my original 32MB Memory Stick, and plus you can always just connect it to your computer to back up save files if you wanted to (or just use a Memory Stick for more space).

bread's done
Back