PSP Slim Redesign

I'm more than a little bit disappointed that they didn't go with a matte black (it looks so awesome in pics) but the silver one looks really nice so I'm definitely picking up that one. The revamped D-pad and the slimmer size and weight have finally pushed me over the edge. Plus I won't feel so shitty about picking up a few UMD movies because of the TV-out.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']200 is a little steep.
They really just need to release the system by it self for 149 or with a 1gig mem card for 159.[/QUOTE]

$200 is for one of the two bundles. A black one will be available for $169.99.

Why is there video out on the new PSP? Why would I ever want to be tethered to the TV with my handheld vs. just playing a real console game?

Part of the PSP's novelty was have portable console-quality games. Now they just want you to jack it into the TV too? It really is a PS2 now, only more cumbersome.

On the plus side, I have zero temptation to get the "new and shiny." :)

[quote name='daroga']Why is there video out on the new PSP? Why would I ever want to be tethered to the TV with my handheld vs. just playing a real console game?

Part of the PSP's novelty was have portable console-quality games. Now they just want you to jack it into the TV too? It really is a PS2 now, only more cumbersome.

On the plus side, I have zero temptation to get the "new and shiny." :)[/quote]

I'm right there with you, daroga... and I really can't express my feelings towards this new feature better than you already have. IMO, the only nice thing about this video out, is the fact you can now watch UMD movies on a TV.

Overall, I think the redesign is nice, but it's not something that screams-out-loud, "buy me!" like the DS Lite did last year.

[quote name='nectarsis1']has anyone comfirmed the 64 mb internal memory...or is it a guess?[/quote]The Sony press release I posted confirmed it.

[quote name='daroga']Why is there video out on the new PSP? Why would I ever want to be tethered to the TV with my handheld vs. just playing a real console game?

Same reason they made various GB players for your consoles.
People want to play on their TV if it's convenient.

And if you have a lot of shows, movies, you can always take it to a friends and watch on the TV.

I didn't think ANYONE would criticize that feature.

And I don't see any reason to choose a so called "real" game on the PS2 when I can get the same thing that can be played portably or now even on the big screen (although I really don't care about that much-since you're close to it, the screen size difference isn't a big deal).

[quote name='dallow']Same reason they made various GB players for your consoles.

And if you have a lot of shows, movies, you can always take it to a friends and watch on the TV.

I didn't think ANYONE would criticize that feature.[/quote]There's a marked difference between something that you plug your handheld games into on a home console and jacking your handheld into the TV. An adapter for the PS2 or PS3 that plays UMDs? Great! That would be really slick. Having to plug my PSP into the TV and use what is already a medicore control input with a wire between myself and the TV? Not so good. Especially in an age when everything is wireless, this is going backwards.

The money spent developing this "feature" should've been used to develop more quality games for the system.

[quote name='dallow']Same reason they made various GB players for your consoles.

I didn't think ANYONE would criticize that feature.[/quote]

That was what I was wondering in all this... people seemed to be cool towards the GB player. Is this not similar?

And it's just a hunch, but I don't think Sony somehow stalled game development to redesign the PSP :roll: I could be wrong though.

What I'd like to know is whether the 1st gen PSP is going to be clearanced out by stores to make room for the updated PSP and by how much.

I can't imagine the current model is going to sell well now for general consumers when the minty fresh Sept. one is around the corner if they basically cost the same. That is unless Sony won't sell a standalone until the oldies are all gone.

The PSP I have now doesn't bother me much except for the wayward pixels and sucky battery. In fact I like the sturdy feel and matte black back. It's better looking with the rumble strip detailing at the top and love handle grip bumps than the all-flat blandness that will replace it.

So if the currents come down in price enough, I may get another of those just so I can go Dark without a care to upgrade.

[quote name='daroga']The money spent developing this "feature" should've been used to develop more quality games for the system.[/QUOTE]Oh c'mon! This was nothing to them. You have video outs on everything, I am honestly shocked the original didn't have it.

Of course the connection to the TV isn't wireless.
A wireless audio and video connection is a dream at this point.
The option for this is great.

[quote name='primetime']That was what I was wondering in all this... people seemed to be cool towards the GB player. Is this not similar?

And it's just a hunch, but I don't think Sony somehow stalled game development to redesign the PSP :roll: I could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

There's a huge difference between plugging in a PSP with a wire into a television and putting a cart into your GCN and using a controller. If the PSP did this wirelessly somehow it would be amazing. So would being able to put UMDs into the PS3. This is just kind of weird IMO.

The TV-out is great feature for portable use, not for sitting at home and playing PSP games on your TV. If I'm at a hotel and don't want to spend the outrageous $10 per movie or $8 per hour to use their outdated SNES console, this is a great feature. It doesn't make or break the new PSP, it is just a nice extra to have that adds no cost to the price of the PSP. I can see it being a negative if the PSP was raised $30, but it isn't.

[quote name='munch']There's a huge difference between plugging in a PSP with a wire into a television and putting a cart into your GCN and using a controller. If the PSP did this wirelessly somehow it would be amazing. So would being able to put UMDs into the PS3. This is just kind of weird IMO.[/quote]

What's the point of using a controller if it has the same function?
And, if I assume correctly, it would be more convenient to plug the PSP in and be able to unplug it if you need to run than be stuck with the cart in the GC. I fail to see the huge difference...

I suppose for people with older TVs that don't have easily accessible AV inputs it could be more cumbersome. Taking this factor out of account, I don't see a huge difference.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']200 is a little steep.
They really just need to release the system by it self for 149 or with a 1gig mem card for 159.[/QUOTE]Why is that too expensive? The DS Lite is severely underpowered and costs only $40 less. The sitatuation is, if you don't want all that crap, just buy a core for $170. If you want a 1GB memory stick, Daxter, and Family Guy, then $200 is a steal.

IMO, $200 for the Daxter bundle is a steal. Even if it didn't have the contents, I'd still pay $200 for the color silver (no joke). As for the Star Wars bundle, you're already saving $10.

I will repeat this again, the PSP price was NOT raised at all. The core PSP slim will be $170, if you don't want that extra stuff. Why do people fucking have to assume the most expensive SKU is the ONLY price?????

I can see a lot of value in the TV-out feature. First of all, it is now basically even more like an iPod, with portable audio/video that can be outputted to a TV. So, that's a plus. Second, while traveling it would be very nice to be able to play PSP games on a big screen, because I certainly wouldn't lug a PS2 or PS3 around with me. Third, it's even nice at home. Honestly, I don't play my DS all that much on the road since I don't travel nearly as much as I used to. I play it a lot of times just lying on the couch. The games are fun and I would gladly play many of them on a TV...if I could. Why do I care if there's a wire? I played with wires since the dawn of gaming. It's nice to not have them, but it won't kill me either. Well, maybe if the TV falls into water...but otherwise.

I play my DS with a wire connected to my audio receiver.
Then play with the stereo sound matrixed to all six speakers.

At home of course.

Remember those GC games that you had to connect your GBA to?
I didn't mind then either.

Are you sure there is a faster UMD drive? I'm pretty sure Kaz Hirai only stated there would be faster loading. Also reports on other message boards state that the new PSP will have an extra 32 MB (totalling 64 MB) of internal memory so that will be used to cache the games, thus leading to shorter loads.

[quote name='Kendro']Are you sure there is a faster UMD drive? I'm pretty sure Kaz Hirai only stated there would be faster loading. Also reports on other message boards state that the new PSP will have an extra 32 MB of internal memory so that will be used to cache the games, thus leading to shorter loads.[/quote]

It'd be nice if you could just rip the entire UMD to the mem stick like you can with some of the hacks. Of course pirating could be a problem but surely Sony could find a way to stop (limit) it.

Actually the tv feature is for people like me. I am certainly buying one in a few months, and being able to play exclusive psp games on my tv is a huge selling point. I don't ever travel so buying a portable device has always been a difficult decision. I really want to play some of the great exclusive games for PSP and DS. Having the option to play these great games on my tv is a great feature to include.

[quote name='Kendro']Are you sure there is a faster UMD drive? I'm pretty sure Kaz Hirai only stated there would be faster loading. Also reports on other message boards state that the new PSP will have an extra 32 MB of internal memory so that will be used to cache the games, thus leading to shorter loads.[/quote]

I have heard it has a fater drive ...and 64, not 32 Mb..anyone comfirm?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Why is that too expensive? The DS Lite is severely underpowered and costs only $40 less. [/quote]

That's something else I've never gotten with the constant PSP bashing. If $170 is "expensive" for a PSP, then $130 is completely outrageous for a DS. Not that I care all that much about the DS' price, but it is technically a rip off (as is the Wii) when you can get 10x more powerful hardware for a tiny bit more money.

[quote name='Kendro']Are you sure there is a faster UMD drive? I'm pretty sure Kaz Hirai only stated there would be faster loading. Also reports on other message boards state that the new PSP will have an extra 32 MB (totalling 64 MB) of internal memory so that will be used to cache the games, thus leading to shorter loads.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? That would be awesome! Not sure how it could really work, but it would be interesting.

Since the infamous Dark_Alex is out of the custom firmware "business" will this new model PSP be homebrew friendly or will it be a "hard nut to crack"? I like the old model Dreamcasts (before Oct. 2000) because all you can play homebrew games on it without a mod chip.

Not really a PSP2, but definitely an improvement over the current model. I'm in! I just need to decide if I like a picture of Darth Vader more than value...meh, I'm probably getting the Daxter pack...

[quote name='nectarsis1']I have heard it has a fater drive ...and 64, not 32 Mb..anyone comfirm?[/quote]

The original already had 32 mb. The extra memory should improve the browser slightly.

Is there going to be a separate white one? Or just that one with Darth Vader? I like the white color best from the pictures, but I don't want Darth Vader on it.

Obi Wan.

I want Obi Wan on there!

[quote name='Wolfpup']

It's not "failing" now, so I seriously doubt a nifty redesign and cool bundles are going to hurt it. The PSP outsells the 360, Wii, and Playstation 3, and outsold the DS until the Lite's release. It might be in second place for the handhelds, but it's still selling strong. [/quote=Wolfpup;3115839]

^take that back :argue:

Anyway, here are some updates:
The redesigned PSP makes games load faster. But, how? In a private demonstration with Joystiq, John Koller explained that the new PSP includes more than just good looks. The redesigned system also includes more RAM, which is used to increase the load speed of upcoming PSP titles. In addition, the system has much more efficient battery life. Koller promised between 8 to 10 hours of battery life in the new system, a seeming impossibility when remembering the original design.
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/07/12/added-ram-makes-psp-games-load-faster/

Oh yeah, here's a hands on with the new PSP, containing pics:
We spent some alone time with the newly announced PSP redesign. At first glance, the system appears to be identical to the original system, but getting our hands on the system revealed that this is, in fact, a significant upgrade to the original. The most immediate thing we noticed was how light the system is: the original was in no ways heavy, but the new handheld is certainly much lighter, without making it too feathery.

The glossy new finish of the redesigned PSP is very attractive, although we're afraid that it might attract fingerprints much more easily than the already susceptible original. Regardless, the shiny new sheen makes the system makes the original look dull in comparison.

The new system is thinner, mostly due to the newly designed UMD door. Instead of having mechanical gears that force the system open, this system features a latch that must be opened by hand. The door feels much more secure than the original. According to John Koller, dropping the system won't result in the UMD shooting out, as it did in the previous system design.

In addition to being slimmer, the new system also has redesigned buttons that feel much more responsive than the original. The D-Pad and face buttons all have a little bit more resistance to them, making the tactile sensation of using the system that much better. Unfortunately, Koller explained that the analog nub is not improved, although we found that a brand-new system works better than our system from launch.

There are also a few more minor changes, such as the omission of the unused IR port. The Wi-Fi switch has been moved to the top of the system, where it's less likely to be hit by accident. The Memory Stick port was moved to the other side of the system, and is much more cramped. We're a little disappointed by that change, because it makes swapping the Stick out of the system a little bit more difficult than previously.

The new headphone jack (pictured, above) not only moves further to the left of the system, but utilizes a new pin system that allows for the system's video-out. Component or composite cables can be used for TV out, but Koller explains that PSP game output will only be component-compatible. Movies (of both Memory Stick and UMD flavors) can use either component or composite cables. The video output of UMD video is especially impressive, due to the UMD's high video resolution. Many people have forgotten that UMD movies are encoded in DVD resolution: 480p. We're certain that this new feature will make UMD movies more viable than they have in the past.

We're very excited about the new PSP redesign. Many were quick to write it off when it didn't appear to be significantly different from the original. However, it's clear that this is a significantly better system that not only looks better, but feels much better. We can't wait for the retail release later this year.
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/07/12/hands-on-with-the-new-psp/

Bad news is, looks like it shows fingerprints easier, but I'm just going to get silver.

OMG, I am so buying this. I

As for the TV out, for me that's a reason to buy a UMD.

I'm very excited for this Daxter bundle. The thought of a bundle that actually has useful contents is almost mind-blowing. Yay Sony for convincing the finally buy a PSP.

Is it September yet?

[quote name='Kendro']The TV-out is great feature for portable use, not for sitting at home and playing PSP games on your TV. If I'm at a hotel and don't want to spend the outrageous $10 per movie or $8 per hour to use their outdated SNES console, this is a great feature. It doesn't make or break the new PSP, it is just a nice extra to have that adds no cost to the price of the PSP. I can see it being a negative if the PSP was raised $30, but it isn't.[/quote]

Except that most hotel TV's probably wouldn't take the input easily... half of them don't even seem to have RCA jacks! I'm in a hotel now, and I had to buy an RF Modulator to hook up the DVD player through coax, and then hook my consoles into the RCA input on the DVD player. And yes, everything looks like crap, and I'm just waiting for the whole setup to explode :lol:

I really can't understand it being a selling point, but it apparently is to a lot of people here... It just defeats the whole handheld thing to me. Now it IS a nice extra feature, but a selling point? Not for me...

The only real selling point for me was thatI can now get a white PSP with Darth Vader on it... I may actually bite just for that! But then I've had some concerns about firmware - if I got a new one, I could keep the old one for homebrew.

Does anyone know if Sony turns a profit on PSP hardware or not? I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone mention that.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is there going to be a separate white one? Or just that one with Darth Vader? I like the white color best from the pictures, but I don't want Darth Vader on it.

Obi Wan.

I want Obi Wan on there![/QUOTE]

Agreed :mrgreen:

...though I'll still probably get the Vader one - IF Gamecrazy gets it. I have credit to burn there.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6173974/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1

Sony was able to slim down the battery size while maintaining the system's 5-hour battery life by decreasing the power draw of the unit. You'll be able to use old batteries from the original PSP to double playing time, but the standard battery cover won't be able to fit over it. Sony will offer a high-capacity power kit that will come with its own PSP cover to fit over the larger battery.
So from what I'm understanding, the redesign has a 1200 mAh battery but will provide the same 5 hours of battery life as the original PSP battery (which is a much heftier 1800 mAh). It is cool that you can sacrifice some extra "bulk" in order to get 30% more charge if you decide to use your original battery. That means the 2200 mAh battery that they sell separately could give close to 10 hours which is not bad at all.

My only minor gripe is that according to that last sentence, it seems that it is impossible to have anything larger than a 1200 mAh battery fit inside the PSP. So if you want to spring for a brand new higher capacity battery, it will come with a custom cover but will still have the bulge sticking out.

I'll be biting on the White PSP. I figure I can just put a sticker/skin over the Vader part or Logitech will put out a new Playgear Pocket and I'll never see the back anyway. If Japan gets a new White PSP, I might just import it like I originally intended.

I wish the GS article was more detailed as far as the d-pad and face buttons go. I think the face buttons are way too clicky as they are. I wouldn't mind to see them lowered.

[quote name='Kendro']http://www.gamespot.com/features/6173974/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1

So from what I'm understanding, the redesign has a 1200 mAh battery but will provide the same 5 hours of battery life as the original PSP battery (which is a much heftier 1800 mAh). It is cool that you can sacrifice some extra "bulk" in order to get 30% more charge if you decide to use your original battery. That means the 2200 mAh battery that they sell separately could give close to 10 hours which is not bad at all.

My only minor gripe is that according to that last sentence, it seems that it is impossible to have anything larger than a 1200 mAh battery fit inside the PSP. So if you want to spring for a brand new higher capacity battery, it will come with a custom cover but will still have the bulge sticking out.[/quote]

Here's a quote from a PSPFanboy article posted earlier.

In addition, the system has much more efficient battery life. Koller promised between 8 to 10 hours of battery life in the new system, a seeming impossibility when remembering the original design.

Seems rather odd that they say that, but don't mention it requires owning an old PSP or buying an old PSP battery and having it look ugly.

I have a silver Japanese PSP and I really don't feel left out in the cold with this redesign. The homebrew shall keep me warm.

Brian Ashcraft posted some of his impressions of the redesign, certainly sounds like they fixed the d-pad.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/hands-on/psp-slim-277554.php

Slimmer, lighter and with a decent D-pad. The redesign is long overdue and slightly underdone. There are no major revisions, but simply a series of tweaks: the Wi-Fi switch has been moved to the portable's top and the speakers are above the buttons and the D-pad. The D-pad itself does get a proper rehaul and finally feels like, well, a D-pad. It's incredibly responsive and not mushy like the current iteration. The casing gets spiffed up with a coat of DS Lite style gloss. This is a needed revision — would've been nice to see it months ago.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']were talking about a portable market where sony is already getting their ass handed to them in sales. they are willing to drop the price of the ps3 100 dollars, but not willing to maintain their current price for the psp. cmon.[/QUOTE]
Jesus Christ, the PSP isn't a failure. The DS is just a COLOSSAL success. And the bundle is a great deal, if you can't consider that a drop you're crazy. A 1GB stick, free UMD and a $20 game for $30? Plus a new and improved PSP for the price of the current one? fucking deal.

I'm a bit dissappointed that it doesn't come with some tpe of built in flash memory. It's still going to rely on memory sticks which is kindof disappointing. Other than that I'm glad I waited, I have 6 great psp games I picked up on clearance and I need the system to finally enjoy them.

PSP Slim: More RAM, 10 Hr battery, USB charging

LINK

New PSP hardware able to charge via a USB connection

On Wednesday morning’s Sony E3 press conference, a lighter, slimmer and more power efficient PSP was revealed. It was also said that the new version of the PSP would feature quicker loading times, though Sony did not immediately detail the enabling technology behind this improvement.

Rather than an improved UMD drive, the new PSP features a new UMD caching feature that will load game data into on-board memory. The added RAM to aid loaded is new to the upcoming hardware and is not found in the current PSP.

Photos captured during Joystiq’s hands-on with the unit reveals that the UMD Cache function is a feature of the PSP’s new operating system. The UMD Cache function presumably can be enabled to speed loading on all PSP game titles without any further work needed by developers. The demo unit at E3 operates using version 3.60 firmware.

Also revealed in the new PSP’s software system is a USB charging feature. Current PSP hardware only uses its USB port to transfer data, while the new hardware appears to be able to charge its battery from the port.

Sony representatives also said that PSP battery life up to 8 to 10 hours in the new hardware, or more than double that of the current model.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']from the news of a joystiq report, sony might be doing homebrewers a favor. it looks as if later firmware will only work on the newer psps...[/quote]

How's that gonna work out for upcoming releases? They will eventually require later FW. Is only 3.60 going to be slim exclusive? I can't imagine Sony locking out the majority of their system owners.

Also, GS is reporting that the button resistance has increased. If anything, the old buttons were too raised, resistant, and clicky as compared to the more comfortable Dual Shock face buttons.

bread's done
Back