Purchase Destiny Digital version for PS3/360 Get a Free upgrade to PS4/Xbox One Version

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

As title says. Buy a digital version of Destiny for 360 or PS3 and get a free upgrade to the Xbox One/PS4 digital version. Kind of a PSA more than a real deal but saw this at Neogaf.

Note 1: You must claim the Xbox One (standard or digital guardian) or PS4 version (standard or digital guardian) by January 15th 2015. You can do this online without even owning a PS4 or Xbox One console.  Simply go to the respective companies online store and claim your free upgrade license (by January 15th). If you do this you can then download the upgraded version at any time in the future.

Note 2: the deal is not cross console. You can't buy the 360 version then upgrade to the PS4 version. You have to do 360/Xbox One or PS3/PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
9/10 at 6pm??? thats like 36 hours later, hope its earlier than that
Yeah that means I am just not getting the last gen version. I would rarely if ever use it so I dont care. I have my buddy coming over with his system tonight and I am calling off work tomorrow... I am playing it at midnight on my ps4 hahah

I chatted with Sony on Friday about getting a PS4 refund so I could repurchase on PS3. The support Rep's only concern was me not getting the refund fast enough so I could get the freebies. Just checked my Sony wallet, $90 was refunded for the Guardian Edition and time enough to re-pre-order on the PS3. Now my wife and her friend can play on last gen while I get my PS4 version. Between Game Share on PS3 and Primary console plus my account on PS4, I will have 4 different consoles all with Destiny and 2 Expansions. If you include the PSN cards I bought for half off with Gamestop Kongregate codes, I paid $45 for 4 digital copies of Destiny Guardian Edition! Thanks CAG & OP!

The website for the promo explicitly addresses this.

Q. If I pre-ordered the PlayStation®3 digital version, when will my PlayStation®4 digital version of Destiny be available?
The PlayStation®4 digital upgrade will be available to you as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation®4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation®4 upgrade will NOT be available for pre-order or pre-load.
What website did you pull this from because the main promo site linked from page 1 of this thread does not say anything about the PS4 version being available by 09/10/14 at 6:00 PM PDT. That sounds a bit too random to me--just saying

What website did you pull this from because the main promo site linked from page 1 of this thread does not say anything about the PS4 version being available by 09/10/14 at 6:00 PM PDT. That sounds a bit too random to me--just saying
It was posted on the official Bungie/Destiny digital upgrade site. I definitely saw it there earlier too. It seems to be taken down now. Hopefully that means it's going be available earlier.

Two questions and I'm sorry if they've been answered but I looked and didn't see anything:

1) If I buy straight from the Playstation Store with my wallet account, does that work, or do I need to buy a digital code online?

2) When I upgrade to PS4 and give my PS3 to my brother, will he be able to create a second character under my account that he can use, or does each PSN account only get to create one character to use?

It was posted on the official Bungie/Destiny digital upgrade site. I definitely saw it there earlier too. It seems to be taken down now. Hopefully that means it's going be available earlier.

Thanks guys. It wasn't up there earlier. When I clicked on the link it showed it, but then when I refreshed the link it was gone. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Worst case I just play it on PS3 for one day. Sure I'd like to have it on PS4 tomorrow, but I plan on going back and forth between the two consoles anyway playing with different friends so it's not a huge deal. I do think 9:00 PM EST Wednesday is a little late because with all of the server traffic there is no way that I'll be able to download the game on the PS4 and play it until Thursday realistically

First one comes out in December. And IIRC there's nothing extra with the season pass that unlocks right away, so there's no reason to buy it until the first expansion is imminent.
The reason to buy it now is if you get it as part of the Digital Guardian Edition, it's $5 cheaper and you get extras in game.

Two questions and I'm sorry if they've been answered but I looked and didn't see anything:

1) If I buy straight from the Playstation Store with my wallet account, does that work, or do I need to buy a digital code online?

2) When I upgrade to PS4 and give my PS3 to my brother, will he be able to create a second character under my account that he can use, or does each PSN account only get to create one character to use?
I don't know the answer to one, but I'm assuming it doesn't matter. In the beta you could have multiple characters, so I don't see why they would get rid of that. Especially since there is three different things you can be.

I will freely admit that I do not know how gamesharing works, but I'm dubious that some of you guys are going to get to play PS3 and PS4 versions at the same time. You log into the Destiny servers like you would an mmo. It's going to know if you try and log in with the same "account" more than once.

If you guys take turns, you absolutely will be able to share characters though. In the beta you could create three characters, I believe.

oh yeah, I didn't even think about if he was wanting to play both at the same time. Yeah, that's not doable, he would need his own profile. Could still use your copy of destiny though

This article provides information on Bungie's first-person shooter Destiny, for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3. Here you'll find details on the release date, available versions, pre-load process, PS3 digital upgrade program, support options, and much more.

Release Info

Preload Date: Friday, September 5, 2014 (Not playable until 9/9)
Release Date: Midnight (Pacific), 3am (Eastern) Tuesday, September 9, 2014
HDD Space Required: 40GB on PS4, 20GB on PS3
Available on: PlayStation 4 (Disc or digital download), PlayStation 3 (Disc or digital download)

Available Versions:

There are several different versions of the game available. All versions feature PlayStation-exclusive content not found in the Xbox versions.Click the name of the edition for more information:

• Standard Edition (Disc, PSN): This is includes the full game, Pre-orders of either the disc or the digital version receive a Vanguard Player Emblem and early access to the Vanguard Armory weapons.
  • Limited Edition (Disc only, while supplies last):
    Physical contents include: Limited Edition SteelBook Case and Game Disc, Guardian Folio (contains Arms and Armament Field Guide, Postcards from the Golden Age, and Antique Star Chart)
  • Digital Items include: Unique ghost casing, exclusive player emblem, exclusive player ship variant, Vanguard Player Emblem, early access to the Vanguard Armory weapons, and Destiny Expansion Pass (Includes Destiny Expansion I and II when they are released)

[*]Digital Guardian Edition (PSN Download only):
  • Digital Items include: Unique ghost casing, exclusive player emblem, exclusive player ship variant, Vanguard Player Emblem, early access to the Vanguard Armory weapons, and Destiny Expansion Pass (Includes Destiny Expansion I and II when they are released)

[*]Ghost Edition (Disc only, while supplies last):
  • Physical contents include: Limited Edition SteelBook Case and Game Disc, Ghost Replica, Letter of Introduction, Golden Age Relics (patch, sticker, chrome slides), Guardian Folio (contains Arms and Armament Field Guide, Postcards from the Golden Age, and Antique Star Chart)

[*]PlayStation 4 Console Destiny Bundle: This bundle contains a Glacier White PlayStation 4 console, a Glacier White DualShock 4 controller, a Destiny game disc, and other items (details here).
Redeeming Codes for DLC

• For help on how to redeem a code for DLC, please read this article.
  • Destiny Expansion Pass, Vanguard Armory access, or the Collector’s Edition Digital Content (containing Ghost Casing, Player Ship, and Player Emblem): These codes should all be included in the packaging for the game. If you experience any issues redeeming any of the previously listed codes, please complete the form onsupport.activision.com/DestinyCodeSupport.
  • Upgraded Sparrow: The Upgraded Sparrow from GameStop is delivered via a code printed on the receipt (sent via email if you purchased online) to customers who pre-ordered from GameStop. If you did not receive, or experience an issue with a code from GameStop, please visit this link for GameStop Customer Service.
  • Level 20 Legendary Blacksmith Armor: Level 20 Legendary Blacksmith Armor GameStop is delivered via a code printed on the receipt (sent via email if you purchased online) to customers who pre-order Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare by 9/20/14. If you did not receive, or experience an issue with this code from GameStop, please visit this link for GameStop Customer Service.
Pre-loading and Downloading Via PlayStation Store

Destiny requires 40GB of free space on your PS4 HDD and 20GB on the PS3. The game supports the pre-load feature on both consoles. As long as you have the [Automatic Updates] option enabled on your PS3 or PS4, pre-loading began on 9/5/14, and the game will unlock for play at 12am Pacific on 9/9/14.
To manually pre-load the game: Go to the PlayStation Store, navigate to the Destiny game page and click the “download” button. If you haven’t yet preordered, you can preorder and then begin downloading.
For those that didn't pre-order the game, it does support the PS4's "Play as You Download" feature, which means you can start playing before the entire download is complete.

Digital Upgrade Program
The PlayStation 4 digital upgrade will be available as close to launch as possible. We anticipate the PlayStation 4 version will be ready for you by Wednesday 9/10 at 6pm PDT, but please check back here for updates. Unfortunately, the PlayStation 4 upgrade will not be available for pre-order or pre-load.
When you buy/redeem the Destiny Digital Base Game, Digital Guardian Edition, or Expansion Pass for PlayStation 3 on or before January 15th, 2015, you can download the Playstation 4 version from the PlayStation Store for free. Your Sony Entertainment Network Account (PSN ID) will retain licenses for both consoles so you will be able to play both versions. Details on the upgrade program are located on the game's official website: DestinyTheGame.com/digital-upgrade.com.

Missing Items

If any physical items are missing from your collector's edition, please contact the retailer. Our phone and chat support is unable to provide replacements for these items.

General Support

If you need additional assistance with Destiny, support is available exclusively via Help.Bungie.Net.

Source: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5372/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxMDIzMDQ5Ni9zaWQvbEkxVkZXMW0%3D

this is really smart! I wish it would let me buy it for 360/ps3 now and then get the PC version for free when it comes out for PC. I will remain optimistic for it!

Xbox is running a live stream on Twitch of Destiny right now, they just started. They said the Xbox One digital version should go live 12 AM Pacific, and X360 digital "sometime tomorrow". 

http://www.twitch.tv/xbox

Xbox is running a live stream on Twitch of Destiny right now, they just started. They said the Xbox One digital version should go live 12 AM Pacific, and X360 digital "sometime tomorrow".
Well so much for pre-loading 360 and Xbox One before going to sleep, lol.

Also worth noting is the

Well so much for pre-loading 360 and Xbox One before going to sleep, lol.
Yeah... are any USA people playing on PS3 and/or PS4 yet? I read something about the Bungie servers already being up.

Also worth noting is that they are giving away Xbox One codes on the twitch stream.

So get a better copy of the the same exact game for free. How generous of them. Deal should be in reverse.
If you already have a current gen console, why would you want to play on last gen? Makes no sense to me. The whole point of the promotion is to give people more incentive to upgrade hardware. You won't get them to do that if they already have a current gen console, duh. :roll:

Rather pissed.

Seems like I can't buy the Xbox 360 Digital Version of Destiny. I have an Xbox One, and I want to buy the X360 version and then upgrade. Seems like my Xbox Gold account is smurfed. On the Xbox 360, and via the Xbox.com account, I am unable to buy the 360 version. It just shows the One version.

Anyone have this issue?

Rather pissed.

Seems like I can't buy the Xbox 360 Digital Version of Destiny. I have an Xbox One, and I want to buy the X360 version and then upgrade. Seems like my Xbox Gold account is smurfed. On the Xbox 360, and via the Xbox.com account, I am unable to buy the 360 version. It just shows the One version.

Anyone have this issue?
See my post about 5 up. X360 digital version won't be up on Xbox Marketplace till sometime later on Tuesday.

does anyone remember what you got for pre-ordering at Best Buy? I know there was the beta access but werent you supposed to get some in game items at launch too? I cant seem to find the info on it now, and i dont think they sent me anoher code

does anyone remember what you got for pre-ordering at Best Buy? I know there was the beta access but werent you supposed to get some in game items at launch too? I cant seem to find the info on it now, and i dont think they sent me anoher code
Just the vanguard DLC, nothing else. The code for it will be inside the packaging.

Well midnight has come and gone, game is live, friends are playing, and PS4 version still isn't activated for me yet (bought ps3 digital guardian).  Oh well, looks like its gonna be a day or two wait before i play destiny on PS4

Rather pissed.

Anyone have this issue?
Well it's finally allowing me to at least attempt to buy it on demand now, earlier the game wasn't even showing up in my searches. Only issue is that after hitting "confirm purchase" it goes into loading mode for a bit and then gives me the "Sorry, there's a problem with the Xbox service" message. I think we just have to be patient and wait like some people mentioned in several posts above.

I can confirm 360 Upgrade is instant, XB1 version is already free.

Go to Destiny launch edition and its free. You also get the Vanguard DLC too.  :whee:

Now to wait for my LE from Amazon so I can download the LE DLC

I should've passed on this deal. I wasn't even going to play the ps3 version, but thought "Hey, it couldn't hurt." Now I'm stuck with the game on a console I left in storage miles away and my ps4 not knowing when it'll be able to play. Hope the ps4 versions unlock soon :/

I've been trying for like 20 minutes now, keep getting an error code about xbox having issues.. Grr.
Ahh I see, too many people are trying to buy it right now. Should be fixed soon

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Hi Xbox members. Are you having issues purchasing or managing subscriptions to Xbox Live? We’re aware of this issue, and were already hard at work doing what we can to get this fixed as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience. Check back in 30 minutes for an update on this issue.

Ahh I see, too many people are trying to buy it right now. Give it a lil time

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

Hi Xbox members. Are you having issues purchasing or managing subscriptions to Xbox Live? We’re aware of this issue, and were already hard at work doing what we can to get this fixed as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience. Check back in 30 minutes for an update on this issue.
If I may ask, what payment method did you use? I just googled the Status code: "80153075" and it says that it's an issue with the payment method. I am using Xbox credit to purchase this (I have over $100 in credit), I have no other payment method on file so not sure what the problem is. Hopefully it's just an issue with their server.

If I may ask, what payment method did you use? I just googled the Status code: "80153075" and it says that it's an issue with the payment method. I am using Xbox credit to purchase this (I have over $100 in credit), I have no other payment method on file so not sure what the problem is. Hopefully it's just an issue with their server.
Xbox live credit that I had on my account. Most likely the server since it started around the time it went live. They must be getting hit hard right now

Xbox live credit that I had on my account. Most likely the server since it started around the time it went live. They must be getting hit hard right now
I hope so, cause the two codes it keeps giving me state I need to update my billing information according to Google search. Maybe I should temporarily add a CC and see if that makes a difference.

All I wanted was to pre-load 360 and X1 so I can play when I get up tomorrow, lol

Edit: Finally got it working on 360 and XB1.. Phew..

Bleh, and Gamestop makes you wait till 12:01 PM CST for basically a Xbox Credit code. Wish I could still cancel my X360 digital preorder with them, but looks like too late at this point.

Hmmmm.. then again it might actually be a game code. Xbox One digital version is available now on Gamestop site, and that's the version that states "This is a purchase of Xbox LIVE currency."

Has anyone gotten their codes from the Gamestop xbox 360 digital order? If anyone has done anything like this from Gamestop before what was your experience?

Wow, I honestly thought it would take a lot longer to download this game.. Just finished XB1 download, now time to go sleep... Thanks again OP and everyone else who contributed to this thread, I am glad I cancelled my physical LE.

bread's done
Back