Purchasing a Videogame store: What would make you want to come to my place?

If you had more room in the store, I would have recommended putting in couches and serving drinks like coffee, boba, and soda and charging people by the hour to play on giant big screen tv's.

The social aspect of a "game bar" combined with the game store might be successful.

If the figures would cost a lot you will have to see if there is a demand for them in your area. From previous experience of seeing figures sold in Gamestop people would rather buy video games than figures, and the figures always ended up going on clearance for really cheap, then they just stopped stocking figures altogether.

If you were running an anime store then figures are a hot commodity no matter the price, cause people will pay insane amounts of money for them, however when people come to a video game store they usually come to buy video games.

[quote name='caverntan']If you had more room in the store, I would have recommended putting in couches and serving drinks like coffee, boba, and soda and charging people by the hour to play on giant big screen tv's.

The social aspect of a "game bar" combined with the game store might be successful.[/QUOTE]

I know this idea has been passed around before but it isn't really in my business model. Private tournaments could be so if you wanted to have your own lan party or tournament on Halo, you could do that. We do carry Monster Drinks also.

[quote name='SaraAB']If the figures would cost a lot you will have to see if there is a demand for them in your area. From previous experience of seeing figures sold in Gamestop people would rather buy video games than figures, and the figures always ended up going on clearance for really cheap, then they just stopped stocking figures altogether.

If you were running an anime store then figures are a hot commodity no matter the price, cause people will pay insane amounts of money for them, however when people come to a video game store they usually come to buy video games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have seen this before but I think that it depended on the type of figure also. I wish you didn't have to buy the case though and the cost wasn't so high. I also think that Gamestop didn't market them that well. I might just purchase some singles at a lost and see if they do sell or the demand and go on from there.

I just learned in October/November ‘07 all 8 Play n Trade stores in Sale Lake City went under and were sold to a new owner and the Branson, MO store also closed. These added to the previous 6 recent closings (Vegas, Blaine, MN, Farmington, NM, Plano, TX, Colorado Springs, etc) makes a staggering 15% of the existing 100ish Play N Trade stores have gone under and/or been sold. This is an alarming track record for anyone considering purchasing a franchise. Play N Trade seems to do a great job selling franchises but once open, the stores have a devastating track record. Worst of all, the ones taking the hit are the franchisees while corporate keeps selling the overly rosy story.

Meanwhile, GameStop's soon to be offering franchises, themselves,(see link) http://www.franchisepundit.com/forums/index.php/topic,177.0.html

[quote name='rcarlton4c']I just learned in October/November ‘07 all 8 Play n Trade stores in Sale Lake City went under and were sold to a new owner and the Branson, MO store also closed. These added to the previous 6 recent closings (Vegas, Blaine, MN, Farmington, NM, Plano, TX, Colorado Springs, etc) makes a staggering 15% of the existing 100ish Play N Trade stores have gone under and/or been sold. This is an alarming track record for anyone considering purchasing a franchise. Play N Trade seems to do a great job selling franchises but once open, the stores have a devastating track record. Worst of all, the ones taking the hit are the franchisees while corporate keeps selling the overly rosy story.

Meanwhile, GameStop's soon to be offering franchises, themselves,(see link) http://www.franchisepundit.com/forums/index.php/topic,177.0.html

[/QUOTE]

I have see talked to one of the owners of the PNT in Utah and the previous owner did sell off the stores. But there are people more than willing to purchase them. Play N Trade are taking steps to remedy this but it is really up to the owner to follow the plan. Its these stores that do not follow the plan that don't do well and there are plenty of examples.

The one thing I do find odd, no offense, is that you only have two post ever and they are on this topic where you continue to bash PNT. It is a risk, there is no doubt in that, but there is a risk with every store. You may be playing devil's advocate but just find it odd.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Yeah, it's right next to JC Penny now inside the mall. If you know where to park at (which I never have a damn clue with all the doors they have, plus only going there a few times a year) you can walk in and it's right in front of you.

It's not the best thing I ever saw, but it's much nicer than what they had, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I was just at this Gamestop and it was better than the previous location but in reality, the only thing they changed was the size which was the second time it has done that. Remember it used to be where I think a nail salon is now, right next to the old location.

It is a very large Gamestop but I thought there would be a little more. I went to a Gamestop in a mall in Cali and they had some TV's behind the register so I thought maybe Gamestop might be doing this to the new store design. It is just well larger, same stuff, just more space to walk which isn't bad. The entrance is very big too so it is easier to get in and out of which is a plus.

I also noticed that all the accesories are locked to their peg to prevent theft which is a good idea. The one positive possiblity is that they will move their employees from behind the register and on the floor to help customers instead of letting them wander.

I also don't remember where the demo stations were, I saw the DS one... but I remember before they had 3 tvs with three consoles and I don't remember seeing that now. Would be weird if they removed it.

A complete oppisite, the EBX in the food court is so crowded that they had boxes from their shipment all over the floor. They even turned off the PS3 and stacked boxes infront of it.

But keeping it open and big is nice if they keep it that way but I really doubt it. Look for more racks and displays in the middle of the store. Wouldn't be completly suprused if they added aisles in the middle.

I also did have a idea. The old Gamestop spot is empty... might be a good chance to sneak in and put my store inside of it ;)

AKA im looking into it so might go after a mall location after all.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I was just at this Gamestop and it was better than the previous location but in reality, the only thing they changed was the size which was the second time it has done that. Remember it used to be where I think a nail salon is now, right next to the old location.

It is a very large Gamestop but I thought there would be a little more. I went to a Gamestop in a mall in Cali and they had some TV's behind the register so I thought maybe Gamestop might be doing this to the new store design. It is just well larger, same stuff, just more space to walk which isn't bad. The entrance is very big too so it is easier to get in and out of which is a plus.

I also noticed that all the accesories are locked to their peg to prevent theft which is a good idea. The one positive possiblity is that they will move their employees from behind the register and on the floor to help customers instead of letting them wander.

I also don't remember where the demo stations were, I saw the DS one... but I remember before they had 3 tvs with three consoles and I don't remember seeing that now. Would be weird if they removed it.

A complete oppisite, the EBX in the food court is so crowded that they had boxes from their shipment all over the floor. They even turned off the PS3 and stacked boxes infront of it.

But keeping it open and big is nice if they keep it that way but I really doubt it. Look for more racks and displays in the middle of the store. Wouldn't be completly suprused if they added aisles in the middle.

I also did have a idea. The old Gamestop spot is empty... might be a good chance to sneak in and put my store inside of it ;)

AKA im looking into it so might go after a mall location after all.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the bitchslap move. I love it, lol.

It might not be that bad of an idea, the mall is planning to expand a lot from what I've heard/read in the newspaper. Might be hard to get it with two gamestops already there (they really don't need that other one by the food court, huge waste). I'm at the Mall almost everyday but I rarely go in unless I need something or I am really bored. It's a bus terminal basically. I transfer from one to another.

[quote name='Flyersfan'][/B]

Ah, the bitchslap move. I love it, lol.

It might not be that bad of an idea, the mall is planning to expand a lot from what I've heard/read in the newspaper. Might be hard to get it with two gamestops already there (they really don't need that other one by the food court, huge waste). I'm at the Mall almost everyday but I rarely go in unless I need something or I am really bored. It's a bus terminal basically. I transfer from one to another.[/QUOTE]

I am working on getting into the mall possibly. Problem we have currently is that they feel it is too similar to Gamestop. They used the term "Duplicative Use".

What I am going to do is try to convince the management of the mall that Play N Trade and Gamestop are very different on a variety of levels. To me, its like saying a 5 star resturant and Taco Bell is the same because they both sell food. Hopefully this will be successful and if it is, we would still need to work on getting a site approval which is the hardest process.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I am working on getting into the mall possibly. Problem we have currently is that they feel it is too similar to Gamestop. They used the term "Duplicative Use".

What I am going to do is try to convince the management of the mall that Play N Trade and Gamestop are very different on a variety of levels. To me, its like saying a 5 star resturant and Taco Bell is the same because they both sell food. Hopefully this will be successful and if it is, we would still need to work on getting a site approval which is the hardest process.[/quote]

You could also claim that you're going to carry other products that Gamestop doesn't. Although why in the world I mall wouldn't want 2 gamestores is beyond me, hell they've typically got dozen's of cloathing stores, a couple of sports stores, shoe stores, perfume stores etc.

[quote name='zionoverfire']You could also claim that you're going to carry other products that Gamestop doesn't. Although why in the world I mall wouldn't want 2 gamestores is beyond me, hell they've typically got dozen's of cloathing stores, a couple of sports stores, shoe stores, perfume stores etc.[/QUOTE]

Well I think my broker told them that it was a videogame store like Gamestop and he has never seen a Play N Trade himself. Even when I described it, you typically say like Gamestop because thats the only other videogame store.

Hopefully I can convince them otherwise.

[quote name='goatindaruffness']Carry imports, and put up old NES posters, the ones that came in the game boxes, NES games always get people nostalgic haha...
-Goatman[/QUOTE]

The only problem with imports is that it is very rare that there is a true market for them. What I can do is offer them threw special order and get a down payment for it.

The NES posters would be cool, but would interfere with the look too much. That is pretty important.

I got some positive news today. I do have an approval on the location I mentioned earlier on Kirkwood Hwy. There was just some confusion on the layout. I am hoping to sign a lease in December and work on getting everything up and running for an early launch next year.

I have seen this before, but I am still optimistic. When I do sign my lease, I will start marketing in full gear, the car, shirts the whole deal.

I have also started Facebook and Myspace accounts.

http://www.myspace.com/pntdelaware

My Facebook is Play N Trade Delaware

Ok a few things I must add after reading all these posts

- Advertise banners on CAG website, maybe they will be nice and help you for free/discount to help you get started.

- On days when gs/eb stores are closed, your store better be open!

- On a day of a new console or big hit game gets released you open your store 2-4hours before gs/eb open there stores.

- Pay your employee (yourself and 1 employee should be enough) well and they will be loyal, like +$11 a hour, not $8 a hour crap gs/eb pays (in my area thats almost min wage)

- Make sure you hire a experienced employee (should be easy if you pay them high wage) that have 5+ years working around retail videogames and have played videogames since he was born.

- Advertise on craigslist, its free and easy

- Have business cards and brochures (there is to much to explain here, but your goal is to get the kid to put the business card in his wallet or pocket)

thats all I can think of right now, I may be back later

[quote name='freemoney']Ok a few things I must add after reading all these posts

- Advertise banners on CAG website, maybe they will be nice and help you for free/discount to help you get started.

- On days when gs/eb stores are closed, your store better be open!

- On a day of a new console or big hit game gets released you open your store 2-4hours before gs/eb open there stores.

- Pay your employee (yourself and 1 employee should be enough) well and they will be loyal, like +$11 a hour, not $8 a hour crap gs/eb pays (in my area thats almost min wage)

- Make sure you hire a experienced employee (should be easy if you pay them high wage) that have 5+ years working around retail videogames and have played videogames since he was born.

- Advertise on craigslist, its free and easy

- Have business cards and brochures (there is to much to explain here, but your goal is to get the kid to put the business card in his wallet or pocket)

thats all I can think of right now, I may be back later[/QUOTE]

- Advertising on CAG would be better for Corp to do verses a small store like mine, its not targeted enough.

- I don't know what you mean by closed, typically they are only closed on major holidays.

- Depending on the game, most games they will get early because they supply their games directly instead of a vendor. For larger games with street dates I have no problem doing this if I have the game instock.

- Well, instead of offering above what GS pays their employees I will be offering incentives and bonuses that make them vested into the store. If the store does well, they do well.

- Knoweldge and experience are soemtimes two different things and is a hard fit. Sometimes if you have someone great at customer service, you can teach them about videogames. Just like any job.

- We cannot really sell items through ebay or Craigslist. Sorry

- I will have business cards and plenty of advertising material including t-shirts for kids to wear at school. Giving them coupons to hand out also with incentive for people that use them. Similar to a street team.

[quote name='bingbangboom']- We cannot really sell items through ebay or Craigslist. Sorry[/quote]

I did not mean sell items though craigslist, I just mean advertise your store just in general, like I see people advertise there garage sales, so you can advertise your store like "Come to our store, the best selection in video games etc etc" show some photos of your store, outside and inside and put the address there

here is what i mean, small business ads section in the delaware craiglist, this section is your best bet to advertise in http://delaware.craigslist.org/biz/

a perfect example of a small business advertsing in delaware
http://delaware.craigslist.org/biz/491168803.html

[quote name='freemoney']I did not mean sell items though craigslist, I just mean advertise your store just in general, like I see people advertise there garage sales, so you can advertise your store like "Come to our store, the best selection in video games etc etc" show some photos of your store, outside and inside and put the address there

here is what i mean, small business ads section in the delaware craiglist, this section is your best bet to advertise in http://delaware.craigslist.org/biz/

a perfect example of a small business advertsing in delaware
http://delaware.craigslist.org/biz/491168803.html[/QUOTE]

Yeah that I can do and advertise events, sure thats no problem.

I love the idea of dealing in old-school used games. If people wanna trade in a Super NES and some games, take 'em. Old school games go for a killing. Also, don't rule out used DVDs. They can be quite a lucrative market. Imports, too.

On the business side, there's accounting software called QuickBooks which is extremely helpful for your financial statement and tax purposes, and there's one that will plug into your registers called QuickBooks Point-of-Sale. They're not cheap, but I wouldn't skimp on a decent information system. Could save you a lot of money if you want to expand and have complete, readable financial statements instead of handing a big pile of mess to a CPA and saying "here, figure it out." That's another good idea, hiring a CPA for tax and business-planning purposes. A good CPA can grow your company very well. Just outta curiousity, how is the company organized? Is it a C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC, or sole proprietorship? They all have different implications tax-wise.

Where is this location on Kirkwood if you don't mind me asking? I must have missed it mentioned earlier but when I did a search for Kirkwood in this topic nothing came up.

Good luck with that as well :)

Hey since this videogame store is a small biz, look at this

Register.com is offering a free domain name (1 year) for small businesses.

you then could find some good webhosting and use it to advertise your store

bluehost - 6.95 a month
lunarpages - 5.41 a month
monsterhost - 4.95 a month
startlogic - 5.95 a month

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']dont double post so much. you do it quite often[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to do this but I rather respond to someone's post, like I am doing here in its own post so it doesn't get so confusing. Does it really matter?

[quote name='Proto Man']I love the idea of dealing in old-school used games. If people wanna trade in a Super NES and some games, take 'em. Old school games go for a killing. Also, don't rule out used DVDs. They can be quite a lucrative market. Imports, too.

On the business side, there's accounting software called QuickBooks which is extremely helpful for your financial statement and tax purposes, and there's one that will plug into your registers called QuickBooks Point-of-Sale. They're not cheap, but I wouldn't skimp on a decent information system. Could save you a lot of money if you want to expand and have complete, readable financial statements instead of handing a big pile of mess to a CPA and saying "here, figure it out." That's another good idea, hiring a CPA for tax and business-planning purposes. A good CPA can grow your company very well. Just outta curiousity, how is the company organized? Is it a C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC, or sole proprietorship? They all have different implications tax-wise.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats a huge thing and not only will someone come in and trade in old games... but someone will also come in and buy ALL the games too just because they want to own them.

The franchise provides us with a pretty good POS system I feel.

I am set up as an LLC. Actually "Noorali Bros., LLC"... At one point we were going to do "The Super Noorali Bros." but, thought it might be too silly to the bank. My other idea was "The Evil Company Corporation", but again, think it might be hard to get a loan that way.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Where is this location on Kirkwood if you don't mind me asking? I must have missed it mentioned earlier but when I did a search for Kirkwood in this topic nothing came up.

Good luck with that as well :)[/QUOTE]

It is in Midway Plaza, there is a McDonalds, Hollywood Video, Marshells Homestore, Seasons Pizza, Subway and a few other stores in the strip.

Maybe I missed it, but any discounts for CAGers? I drive to and from DE once a month. I live in Aberdeen MD. Hope to see you soon.

There is an independent video game shop here in a mall where there is a gamestop, and yes, another gamestop is in a plaza outside of the mall that is like, a 1 min drive from the mall or walking distance. Given this situation I don't think there would be an issue with having your store in the mall, or there shouldn't be. The independent video game shop deals in everything from a small amount of computer accessories, vhs and dvd, and new and old video games, but they sell only used product.

Your store is so much different from Gamestop, yes you both sell video games but the product selection is totally different, and you will be selling many, many things that gamestop does not sell. It would be different if Gamestop was still in the vintage games busines but clearly they are not, they only sell the most current things.

[quote name='bingbangboom']It is in Midway Plaza, there is a McDonalds, Hollywood Video, Marshells Homestore, Seasons Pizza, Subway and a few other stores in the strip.[/QUOTE]

Is it near that KB Toys?

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't mean to do this but I rather respond to someone's post, like I am doing here in its own post so it doesn't get so confusing. Does it really matter?[/quote]

I know what you mean. alright, permission to double post given ;) .
for the store, bassicly what you need is freindly staff and inviting deals/ads.
I hate gamestop because the employees dont seem to give a crap about customers. that, and every game I bought was scratched.

[quote name='vasco']Maybe I missed it, but any discounts for CAGers? I drive to and from DE once a month. I live in Aberdeen MD. Hope to see you soon.[/QUOTE]

How about this... if you are a CAG member and when my store is open. Print out your CAG profile and I will give you a free 10.10.10 card which gets you a discount. Typically thats a $10 offer but for you, would be free. Just either post on here and if you have myspace or facebook, add me.

I'll hook you up.

[quote name='SaraAB']There is an independent video game shop here in a mall where there is a gamestop, and yes, another gamestop is in a plaza outside of the mall that is like, a 1 min drive from the mall or walking distance. Given this situation I don't think there would be an issue with having your store in the mall, or there shouldn't be. The independent video game shop deals in everything from a small amount of computer accessories, vhs and dvd, and new and old video games, but they sell only used product.

Your store is so much different from Gamestop, yes you both sell video games but the product selection is totally different, and you will be selling many, many things that gamestop does not sell. It would be different if Gamestop was still in the vintage games busines but clearly they are not, they only sell the most current things.[/QUOTE]

Yeah one of my goals was to eventually open a store inside of the mall. Basically because it gives you large exposure and allows you to branch out.

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']I know what you mean. alright, permission to double post given ;) .
for the store, bassicly what you need is freindly staff and inviting deals/ads.
I hate gamestop because the employees dont seem to give a crap about customers. that, and every game I bought was scratched.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your permission :p

Yeah these are things I want to offer and every disc turned in will be cleaned or buffed so they will be like brand new. It doesn't take that long to clean the disc and customers appreciate it especially since they hate having a bad disc.

I think Gamestop sends all their used games to get cleaned and redestrubited among the stores.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Yes it is, know of it?[/QUOTE]

I haven't been to that shopping center in a while, but I didn't remember seeing a vacancy there. It's a good location though and I can definitely stop by there and shop a few times a month.

Here are a couple of promotional flyers I made up with the software provided by Play N Trade that I did for the mall as a test to show them it is professional.

These are typically what larger tournaments will look like and the prizes for them are larger because you want people to come to your store. They have a couple of logos and backgrounds for popular games.

Tell me what you think...

tournamenttestflyer.jpg

halfflyer.jpg

I've not read all 27 pages so excuse me if this has been said but why don't stores give say a 15% bonus on trade in if you preordered at the store? So, you preorder it from the store, play it, trade it back and get the bonus. Since preorders are so important this would encourage that without being annoying and get you trade ins to sell.

[quote name='wouldyoukindly']I've not read all 27 pages so excuse me if this has been said but why don't stores give say a 15% bonus on trade in if you preordered at the store? So, you preorder it from the store, play it, trade it back and get the bonus. Since preorders are so important this would encourage that without being annoying and get you trade ins to sell.[/QUOTE]

That is actually a great idea and one I have had before. I know Gamestop has tried to push this but poorly with phone calls by a machine.

What I would do is put a little card and staple it with the receipt for pre-ordered games that they would have to present the original sales receipt and the card to take advantage of this. Getting that turn around on games is very important. Sometimes the week after a game comes out, it is very hard to get and word of mouth travels. You can typically get someone to buy a used copy vs. a new of a recent release because it is so new.

But thanks for the comment it will be something I implement. Lets just call it the Pre-Trade Bonus or until I can think of something better.

Another promotion you could do is allow people to come into the store, log into their Xbox Live account, and play Avatar on 360 for the 2 minute 1K Achievement points. Most of the '06 sports only take a game or three to get the 1K on also. You probably won't make much money selling the games but you could attract some achievement whores (read: big spenders) with the offer.

[quote name='wouldyoukindly']Another promotion you could do is allow people to come into the store, log into their Xbox Live account, and play Avatar on 360 for the 2 minute 1K Achievement points. Most of the '06 sports only take a game or three to get the 1K on also. You probably won't make much money selling the games but you could attract some achievement whores (read: big spenders) with the offer.[/QUOTE]

Problem with this is signing into your Live account which I really don't want to have people do other than say a tournament. Especially if someone gets into your Live account, it can cause some problems.

Best of luck to you-

Have you already opened shop?

I used to manage an EB games for a couple of years and sometimes thought about going alone....

I was a little confused about your tournament promos- from the sticker about bringing a used game I can't tell what I'm doing with the game- do I have to trade it in, or just bring it? Personally, it is confusing.

Ok- now, what would make me want to go to your store?

1. Cool Music. 24/7- not top 40 crap. Cool music from all genres- Willie Nelson, Sinatra, Canibal Ox, Bach, make it fresh and engaging.

2. Cool people. Don't make me buy crap I don't want- but if you want to sell me something, do it because you like it too.

3. Good trade credit- do you need a 50% markup on a used game, or a repeat customer? If the latter, keep your trade values high, and coach your employees to preface crappy trade values with "Well, since the game dropped to 14.99 new, and we have 60 copies on hand, I can't give you too much for this one" so the customer has some frame of reference.

4. Reward parents who are trying to find a good game for their kids. Not sure how to do that- it just popped into my head.

5. Go viral. You can't afford big ads or TV- use myspace and all that crap to put up discounts and announcements. As your customers add your profile, you can encourage them to visit your page for deals that are other wise unannounced.

6. Thats all I got right now.

7. Good question :) Thanks for being mindful of what we want to see in a store.

8. Cool Music.

[quote name='beniah']Best of luck to you-

Have you already opened shop?

I used to manage an EB games for a couple of years and sometimes thought about going alone....

I was a little confused about your tournament promos- from the sticker about bringing a used game I can't tell what I'm doing with the game- do I have to trade it in, or just bring it? Personally, it is confusing.

Ok- now, what would make me want to go to your store?

1. Cool Music. 24/7- not top 40 crap. Cool music from all genres- Willie Nelson, Sinatra, Canibal Ox, Bach, make it fresh and engaging.

2. Cool people. Don't make me buy crap I don't want- but if you want to sell me something, do it because you like it too.

3. Good trade credit- do you need a 50% markup on a used game, or a repeat customer? If the latter, keep your trade values high, and coach your employees to preface crappy trade values with "Well, since the game dropped to 14.99 new, and we have 60 copies on hand, I can't give you too much for this one" so the customer has some frame of reference.

4. Reward parents who are trying to find a good game for their kids. Not sure how to do that- it just popped into my head.

5. Go viral. You can't afford big ads or TV- use myspace and all that crap to put up discounts and announcements. As your customers add your profile, you can encourage them to visit your page for deals that are other wise unannounced.

6. Thats all I got right now.

7. Good question :) Thanks for being mindful of what we want to see in a store.

8. Cool Music.[/QUOTE]

- That part of the flyer was already put there and I didn't change it. They basically mean if you trade in a game, you get a free entry into the tournament. It is a nice idea to get people to come in and tournaments are typically used as marketing aka a lost leader. There have been some very large tournaments before, I believe the CEO had 50,000 people come to one.

- Music is an issue because of licensing and you could get sued. I might invest into a XM Radio service because I think they have a licensing package for small businesses.

- Yeah that is part of the training and typically the price for trade ins are better especially with the 10.10.10 program which every customer should have. Helps them in the long run.

- I used to work at Toys R Us so we had alot of parents coming in buying games they have no idea about, either it was content or quality and I always tried to guide them to the best fit for them. THe best thing we can offer is popping the game in and letting them try it out and show them how the game plays. It is good for teaching parents so they can play with their kids.

- I plan on taking full advantage of myspace, facebook and a website. Craigslist was also mentioned. These are all good and cheap methods of advertising and marketing. Also good to develop a street team, typically you can pay younger kids to do this with store credit or a prize.

Your welcome, hope I answered alot of your questions :)

You can use some Creative Commons licensed music at your store. Jonathan Coulton, the guy behind the Portal song, might allow it. There are multiple podcasts around to introduce you to CC music.

I was messing around with Rock Band and the graphics you can put on certain items.

So I made a PNT Logo Guitar, yeah I know its very geeky but kinda cool. Here are the pics.

today003.jpg

today004.jpg

today005.jpg

[quote name='wouldyoukindly']You can use some Creative Commons licensed music at your store. Jonathan Coulton, the guy behind the Portal song, might allow it. There are multiple podcasts around to introduce you to CC music.[/QUOTE]

I will have to look into it. Another thing though is that you have 8 videogame systems going on so that will tend to be pretty noisy. It would be great if I could just have Rockband or Guitar Hero music playing in the background. But we will see, I will google it.

Bad news, turns out the place in Kirkwood is a no go. Apparently the current tenant was in negotiations for an extension of their lease but never told my broker. So I think we were used as leverage to push the tenant to extending their lease.

I looked a couple locations in PA that might work. We will have to wait and see.

I went to a PNT in Asheville, NC over Thanksgiving, and I wasn't impressed. The prices on used games were crazy, and although new games were a few dollars less than other stores, they didn't have much to chose from. The store itself was very small, and I don't recall that they had any kiosks set up.

One of these days I want to check out one of the PNTs in Maryland, since I've heard good things about the chain.

My question (without paging through 28 pages) is how much does it cost to start a PNT franchise? I make a decent wage working for the federal government, but my dream job would be running a video game store. I've wondered about PNT as a possibility, but I have no idea if I have the capital necessary to invest.

Not sure if this was asked or not.. there is a PnT set to open in Huntsville, AL (Hampton Cove) soon. Do you have a date on that? I see the store is there, just not sure when it opens. I havent driven by it in 2 weeks so no idea if anything has changed,

bread's done
Back