Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Picked up this game last night. Haven't cracked it open, but the thread hasn't had much life. Are people staying away, can't find it, spending too much time playing?[/quote]

Ive been playing the hell out of it. My ds is recharging right now in the other room, lol. I need to read the manual now...

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Picked up this game last night. Haven't cracked it open, but the thread hasn't had much life. Are people staying away, can't find it, spending too much time playing?[/quote]

My guess is people are having a hard time trying to find this game. I called 3 EBs in my area before I manageed to get my hands on it.

I think this is gonne be one of those hard-to-come-by games in the near future.

I finally found a copy today at my local GS so I can go ahead and cancel my amazon, and finally play this gem (no pun intended).

I caved in tonight and did a pricematch at BB for Target. Hoping to use a $5 coupon w/ it (worked on Sunday for Diddy Kong Racing) but they wouldn't let me. I told them I did last time I price-matched, and they wanted to know the guy's name. I gave up because I didn't want him to get in trouble.

Now, to play it in a month once I'm done w/ the other games I've started and have less real work to worry about!

Picked this up for $24 at Target last night for my wife. Of course, her birthday's not til the end of April so she'll have to wait awhile :)

[quote name='johnnypark']Hmm... according to the current news on Penny Arcade, Tycho said he was hunting for a copy of Puzzle Quest, and an EB he went to had already boxed them up and sent them back to corporate because they weren't selling.
[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's beyond retarded. The game just came out!! Another reason why GS sucks donkey dick.

I've been playing this game for a little bit just about every day. I love it. So far I haven't really dabbled with mounts, captures, etc, partially because I'm not quite sure how and also because I'm really liking the core part of the game.

And I'm pretty certain the game doesn't keep track of how many hours you've played.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wow, that's beyond retarded. The game just came out!! Another reason why GS sucks donkey dick.

[/quote]Puzzle Quest was the #5 best selling DS game the week of release (on Amazon), so it's far from not selling.

[quote name='botticus']Puzzle Quest was the #5 best selling DS game the week of release (on Amazon), so it's far from not selling.[/quote]Well shit, it's actually the top selling DS game of this week now, again, per Amazon.

1. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (D3 Publisher)
2. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
3. Brain Age (Nintendo)
4. Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
5. Big Brain Academy (Nintendo)

http://gonintendo.com/?p=15370

FYI, EB sells this for $20 used, so as soon as someone trades it in, I'm on it.

[quote name='botticus']Well shit, it's actually the top selling DS game of this week now, again, per Amazon.

3. Brain Age (Nintendo)

http://gonintendo.com/?p=15370[/QUOTE]
This probably has a lot to do with it being as hard as hell to find in stores. But still, definitely a good sign.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This probably has a lot to do with it being as hard as hell to find in stores. But still, definitely a good sign.[/quote]My area must just be odd. Every EB and Best Buy within 10 miles has it in stock. I didn't see a placeholder for it at Target though.

[quote name='botticus']Well shit, it's actually the top selling DS game of this week now, again, per Amazon.

3. Brain Age (Nintendo)

FYI, EB sells this for $20 used, so as soon as someone trades it in, I'm on it.[/quote]

Looks like we might have a sleeper hit on our hands here.

Haven't seen it around these parts. Local EB said they haven't gotten any yet (as of last night) and I haven't seen it at three Targets.

If what Penny Arcade reported is true, that's assinine. Then again, they might be sending excess copies to other stores where the game is selling better. I can't believe they'd send them back to the published in less than a week. That's crazy talk.

Hi,
I got this game at best buy with a price match from Target for $24. They let me use the $5 GGC also, the guy said he was not supposed to but he did it this one time. So the game was $19+tax. Mickey

[quote name='mcgavin27']what exactly is a "heroic feat"? I keep getting them and getting 100xp for them, but I don't know what they are.[/quote]

It's when you get a 4 or 5-hit chain combo in one turn.

[quote name='mickeyp']Hi,
I got this game at best buy with a price match from Target for $24. They let me use the $5 GGC also, the guy said he was not supposed to but he did it this one time. So the game was $19+tax. Mickey[/quote]

They should officially name combining a GGC with a price match the "YMMV Deal," because it's the quintissential example of that caveat. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']They should officially name combining a GGC with a price match the "YMMV Deal," because it's the quintissential example of that caveat. ;)[/quote]

I was very surprised, I just asked is it ok if I use it and he did it. I did not expect him too. But I got lucky.

Best buy had both versions. I got it there because knowing eb once they figure out it is a hit they will jack-up the price. Plus I used the GGC discount and got it for 24.99

I picked it up from Target last night for $24. I didn't have a GGC on hand to want to mess with the pricematch plus coupon at BB so I just went ahead and bought it. I was already sold on the PC demo and although the DS version doesn't have as much polish, it is still really fun. I played for about 2 hours straight and wanted to keep playing.

[quote name='botticus']My area must just be odd. Every EB and Best Buy within 10 miles has it in stock. I didn't see a placeholder for it at Target though.[/quote]

I had a fairly hard time finding it, too. I was going to try Target 1st, because there are 2 which are have the distance as Best Buy in relation to where I live, but none of them had it in stock. They could have been sold out, but based on everything else they probably didn't get many to begin with.

Finally found it at Best Buy, there was only 1 copy and it was hidden in some SpongeBob games, one of the guys there had to find it for me.

It was worth the trip, though - the marked-down Castlevania DoS have supposedly gone back up to 19.99, but they still had the 9.99 price up on the display so I grabbed another for any CAG's who might have missed out.

[quote name='sonderiaom']This game is so addicting that I when I closed my eyes the other night to try to go to sleep, I saw the patterns behind my eyes.[/quote]

The exact same thing happened to me w/ Kirby's Avalanche back in the day. Me and my friends got so addicted, we'd get home from school and play from about 2pm til 5:30pm, the 3 of us trading off to the winner. This happened daily for what was probably months, and when I'd go to sleep all I'd see was the blobs and null blobs falling and spinning.

I recall something similar happening with Starcraft. I'm kinda glad I don't have the same amount of time to invest in games anymore, but man, those were the days.

[quote name='sonderiaom']This game is so addicting that I when I closed my eyes the other night to try to go to sleep, I saw the patterns behind my eyes.[/QUOTE]
That happens to me too. fucking skulls.

man i'm having so much trouble killing the two headed orc guy, he can take me down to half health before i even have a turn.

edit: also have any of you guys played bookworm adventures? its sort of the same thing but instead of bejeweled its like boggle sorta

i fuckin suck at this game, how do i get my ass kicked EVERY time?

sometimes I think the drops are totally ridiculous - I can lose a game off of one chain of drops. and that happens the majority of the time.

is it just me?

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i fuckin suck at this game, how do i get my ass kicked EVERY time?

sometimes I think the drops are totally ridiculous - I can lose a game off of one chain of drops. and that happens the majority of the time.

is it just me?[/quote]

I had some trouble with some of the enemies, so I lowered the difficulty to see what it would do. The 'easy' level has really dumb enemies. They dont 'see' 4 and 5 piece matches that often, and will often leave a 3 skull matchup on the playfield and go for something else instead. So if you cant beat a guy after a few tries, lower the difficulty to easy and you shouldnt have a problem.

I captured two cities close by each other and walked back and forth on a slow mount while I was watching some TV. In the end I think I made about 100k gold (had to put down a rebellion or two), and then dumped it all into the temple or whatever to boost my skills to ridiculous levels. Pretty nice, though by the date my character is now like 46 years old if he started when he was 20.

well, i broke down and bought a DS today and this game.

I have now dubbed it Puzzle Crack, for its addictiveness. I am already charging it for the first time, for the amount of time ive put into this game i need help, lmao.

Yeah I just picked this up too. Really wished the graphics were nice like the PC version..and the grid is kinda small IMO...but it's still a great game.

[quote name='Pestilence']well, i broke down and bought a DS today and this game.

I have now dubbed it Puzzle Crack, for its addictiveness. I am already charging it for the first time, for the amount of time ive put into this game i need help, lmao.[/quote]

Comments like these have me even more wary about starting a game, as well as making all of my homework/reading assignments/other unfinished DS games give a collective shudder.

As long as it stays sealed, I can't thumb through the manual and eventually start playing. I have a feeling I'm going to lose sleep to this one, and I'm just not ready for that yet.

3. Brain Age (Nintendo)

FYI, EB sells this for $20 used, so as soon as someone trades it in, I'm on it.[/quote]that list looks like a juxtaposition of this month's sales with this month's sales last year.

[quote name='Puffa469']I had some trouble with some of the enemies, so I lowered the difficulty to see what it would do. The 'easy' level has really dumb enemies. They dont 'see' 4 and 5 piece matches that often, and will often leave a 3 skull matchup on the playfield and go for something else instead. So if you cant beat a guy after a few tries, lower the difficulty to easy and you shouldnt have a problem.[/quote]

well i got the fireball spell and now i basically kick the living shit out of everything.

but thanks for the info!

I've only played a wizard, and was having a tough time on normal. Think I'm going to have to step up the difficulty, because after you get a few spells the game is WAY easy.

Hand of Power X2 + fireball skulls = EASY VICTORY.

Plus later you get a spell that turns green = skulls and blues = red, if you see a 4 in a row. use the spell and by the time you have it you have decent battle and fire mastery, you'll get a ton of damage a quite a few free turns.

[quote name='sonderiaom']This game is so addicting that I when I closed my eyes the other night to try to go to sleep, I saw the patterns behind my eyes.[/quote]
LOL. Me too, and all I could think was Go for the skulls! Go for the fuckin' skulls! ;)

What's everyone's character class? I went with knight and I'm only now getting to level 12.

I'm a wizard. lvl 18

I would level up your air mastery as well.

also I like cunning a lot, and I hate watching the computer go first and kick the crap out of me.

I'm a tenth level vice president.

sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, I'm a 32 Knight. When you hit 20 with Knight and get the ability to double the purple stars, there's a great exp combo you can do.

Wear the one helm that double exp collected in play, cast "Stun" to give you two turns (and do a little damage), then "Knight Lord" to double the purple stars, then "Divine Right" to collect all the purple stars for yourself. You just need 12 of all the manas but red (5 of those I think) to pull it off. You can end up with over 100 exp per battle easy if you just do that once a battle when the field gets a good amount of purples built up.

im a lvl 19 warrior.

but i just showed the game to my wife last night.

"what are you playing?"
"its bejeweled, but its also a RPG"
"can i try?"

goodbye puzzle quest. :(

bread's done
Back