Quantum Break - PC version free if you pre-order Xbox One version, also free Alan Wake + expansions

boylover

CAGiversary!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/quantum-break-xbox-one-digital-download/1000006305.p?id=1000006304&skuId=1000006305

http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-pre-orders-and-previews-launch-windows-10-version-announced/

All copies of Quantum Break on Xbox One will come with Alan Wake + DLC episodes playable on the 360 and Xbox One (now backwards compatible).

Pre-orders will also get you download codes to redeem for the Windows 10 PC version of Quantum Break, and the Xbox version of Alan Wake's American Nightmare (also X1 compatible).

Basically, if you really wanted to just play the PC version of Quantum Break you could easily pre-order this, get the download code, then sell your Xbox One copy. You'll also score the Alan Wake downloads.

The article says pre-order at Xbox Store or "participating retailers" though none are specifically mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was sure it was in the pre-order page, but WickedEndoNinja is right, it doesn't go into detail about which stores specifically...

​I did confirm with a Microsoft Store Customer Service Representative that at least from what they have been told, digital pre-orders / purchases as a download code count as long as you redeem them before the end of the promotional period (the Xbox Store doesn't seem to have a way to distinguish where you bought the download code from... the "selected retailers" part might be just because not all retailers sell download codes, some sell branded gift cards instead which wouldn't automatically count since you have to make the purchase as an extra step).

If you want to be 100% safe however, you could buy a pre-paid Xbox / Windows Gift Card with the credit you have and use that instead to pre-order directly on the Xbox Store. That way you get to use your credit, and you get the game and bonuses guaranteed :). I know both Best Buy and GameStop allow that because the gift cards are just normal items in their inventory (unlike Amazon...)
Yea, I ordered it digitally through XBOX.COM so I should be safe.
Though I guess we have to wait till the release to gain access to the AW games.

The issue for me is that this is exclusive to Win10 which I don't have, and X1 which my bro has. I'd be up for splitting the cost 50/50 but since it's not on Steam (which they're "not competing against" somehow?) and I don't have the latest OS there's just too many barriers. Do a significant number of gamers really have the latest Windows?

Specs are impressive but what's all completely necessary remains to be seen. I'd be willing to splurge for some RAM for this title as it looks fantastic, but I guess I'll have to wait until things change down the road.

Not available on amazon, and no GCU discount at BB. No place where we can get 20% off?
I'm confused, I Preordered the upcoming Ratchet and Clank reboot game and got 20% off GCU. I don't usually preorder games, do they apply GCU to every preorder or just specific ones.

I already own Alan Wake on PC, but I never got the DLC (standalone game). TBH, wouldn't it be a better deal to get GCU on release and buy cheap used copies of Alan Wake and Nightmare? That is if you don't give a hoot about the PC version.

The issue for me is that this is exclusive to Win10 which I don't have, and X1 which my bro has. I'd be up for splitting the cost 50/50 but since it's not on Steam (which they're "not competing against" somehow?) and I don't have the latest OS there's just too many barriers. Do a significant number of gamers really have the latest Windows?

Specs are impressive but what's all completely necessary remains to be seen. I'd be willing to splurge for some RAM for this title as it looks fantastic, but I guess I'll have to wait until things change down the road.
according to the steam hardware survey at least 30% of users are on Windows 10

Are you running Vista? I know people are hesitant about upgrading your OS, but Windows 10 update 1511 is solid. Free to Windows 7SP1 & 8.1 owners.

Is there anyway for the digital code to be tied to the Xbox One code? Not having an Xbox One makes me too nervous to pull the trigger.
what do you mean exactly? Once purchased, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account / Xbox LIVE account (you will get a message through the Xbox App on Windows 10 with the download code to the Windows Store).

​If you buy a download code for the Xbox One game, you need to redeem it as soon as you can to guarantee you get the Windows copy in case that's what you mean. It's simpler to just buy it directly from Xbox.com to be honest since there's no codes to redeem in that case.

what do you mean exactly? Once purchased, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account / Xbox LIVE account (you will get a message through the Xbox App on Windows 10 with the download code to the Windows Store).

​If you buy a download code for the Xbox One game, you need to redeem it as soon as you can to guarantee you get the Windows copy in case that's what you mean. It's simpler to just buy it directly from Xbox.com to be honest since there's no codes to redeem in that case.
Thanks for the info.

How old is your computer? If you can't upgrade to Windows 10, you probably don't have the specs to run this game in the first place... The game uses DirectX 12 so from the start there just isn't a way for them to support older operating systems without increasing the complexity of the code base to support older (8.1) or ancient (7, Vista, XP) hardware and software.

In case you aren't aware, Windows 10 is free for all devices running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq (Windows 7 and 8 need to be fully up to date to be able to see and install the free upgrade from Windows Update).

I'm confused, I Preordered the upcoming Ratchet and Clank reboot game and got 20% off GCU. I don't usually preorder games, do they apply GCU to every preorder or just specific ones.

I already own Alan Wake on PC, but I never got the DLC (standalone game). TBH, wouldn't it be a better deal to get GCU on release and buy cheap used copies of Alan Wake and Nightmare? That is if you don't give a hoot about the PC version.
The 20% is off every new game/preorder. The $10 reward zone cert for preordering is only certain games.

you may be able to get alan wake used but american nightmare is an xbla title and pretty sure it never came to disc. Not too mention you also get both pieces of DLC (you only got the first when it first came out) for alan wake which are well worth it.

The 20% is off every new game/preorder. The $10 reward zone cert for preordering is only certain games.

I'm confused,

you may be able to get alan wake used but american nightmare is an xbla title and pretty sure it never came to disc. Not too mention you also get both pieces of DLC (you only got the first when it first came out) for alan wake which are well worth it.
Yeah that's my bad, I'm not sure why it wasn't showing the 20% off in my basket earlier, but it is now. Sorry about the confusion.

Your also right, I have alan wake and AN on steam, they're separate games, I assumed they released AN on disc too.

Thank for clearing it up!

Yeah that's my bad, I'm not sure why it wasn't showing the 20% off in my basket earlier, but it is now. Sorry about the confusion.

Your also right, I have alan wake and AN on steam, they're separate games, I assumed they released AN on disc too.

Thank for clearing it up!
ha sorry that I'm confused in my post, was actually from your post, just bad copying and pasting lol

still using windows 7 baby

How old is your computer? If you can't upgrade to Windows 10, you probably don't have the specs to run this game in the first place... The game uses DirectX 12 so from the start there just isn't a way for them to support older operating systems without increasing the complexity of the code base to support older (8.1) or ancient (7, Vista, XP) hardware and software.

In case you aren't aware, Windows 10 is free for all devices running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq (Windows 7 and 8 need to be fully up to date to be able to see and install the free upgrade from Windows Update).
Nah I just haven't upgraded yet, plan on taking care of that soon (still have several months to jump on that offer =P). My PC is just fine, no need for your concern, though it is appreciated.

Guess it really is just the necessitated separate storefront, wonder if that will eventually change (Origin and uPlay are bad enough). However I doubt that Remedy is to blame for that. Their titles are solid, immersive and stand on their own so I'm looking forward to playing this eventually.

Loved this GI interview with them xD

Not sure why the digital download version doesn't apply the GCU discount on this @BestBuy... I think I could get that overridden in store. I really just want to play on my PC.. but it would cool to have the old games on the Xbox One too.

Not sure why the digital download version doesn't apply the GCU discount on this @BestBuy... I think I could get that overridden in store. I really just want to play on my PC.. but it would cool to have the old games on the Xbox One too.
It does work with GCU, see my post above, it wasn't showing for me until I went to checkout in the cart, then it'll show up as $48. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to preorder this game. I don't really want anything to do with the tv show, I just want to play more remedy games.

It does work with GCU, see my post above, it wasn't showing for me until I went to checkout in the cart, then it'll show up as $48. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to preorder this game. I don't really want anything to do with the tv show, I just want to play more remedy games.
It worked for you for the DIGITAL version? For me in last stage of checkout it still shows $60+ tax.

Yup mate, I'm sorry, I typed before reading it was the digital download code version. No GCU won't work with digital games.

Sorry mates, totally my bad, I apologize for misleading you.

Will my disc-based save work with the digital Alan Wake?  I fucking loved that game (although I admit that the gameplay was a bit tedious).  I'm interested in finishing the game without worrying about collectibles.

Okay so I don't have an Xbox One.  My PC isn't the greatest but I'm sure it could run this on low.  I already have all the Alan Wake content.  What's my best option here, to buy this through the Xbox online store for Xbox One and then use the digital code on Windows 10 or just wait till it's been released and pick up a digital copy for Windows 10?  I'm assuming that ebay will be flooded with cheap Win10 copies?

Okay so I don't have an Xbox One. My PC isn't the greatest but I'm sure it could run this on low. I already have all the Alan Wake content. What's my best option here, to buy this through the Xbox online store for Xbox One and then use the digital code on Windows 10 or just wait till it's been released and pick up a digital copy for Windows 10? I'm assuming that ebay will be flooded with cheap Win10 copies?
Sounds like we won't know for sure if preordering the XboxOne digital version will give us a separate and different code for the PC version. I suspect it would tied to the microsoft account. I guess we will see when it actually comes out. I wish they had the same deal giving the PC versions of Alan Wake and the DLC... those Alan Wake games were really good.

I think I will just wait this out. I would have bit if I could have gotten my GCU discount on the digital version... otherwise, by the time I get to playing the game, it will $30 or less... and we don't know if this game will even Be worth full price yet.. that is the problem with preordering... there is no true incentive for developers/publishers to make their games the Best they absolutely can... especially for PC games... look at Batman Arkham Knight on PC.

Its too bad its not for physical copies too but I cant turn down $40 for it brand new on Amazon .  Im not paying the stupid high MSRP for the lesser digital copy.

Anyone seen reviews or any idea of how long the game is?  I have a feeling its gonna be a 8-10 hour game, which isn't really something I want to pay MSRP for a digital copy.

On the other hand I've got a ton of xbox live credit from the golden crisps dealios, and wouldn't mind a free PC copy of the game.  But then its Windows 10 store, not steam :(  So hard to decide

I have, from over the years, like a bajillion my coke reward points I usually just turn into $10 Amazon gift cards. Ive been using them every time I buy new games basically since the whole 20% off with Prime went active. Ends up being something like $40.87 for a brand new game.

Anyone seen reviews or any idea of how long the game is? I have a feeling its gonna be a 8-10 hour game, which isn't really something I want to pay MSRP for a digital copy.

On the other hand I've got a ton of xbox live credit from the golden crisps dealios, and wouldn't mind a free PC copy of the game. But then its Windows 10 store, not steam :( So hard to decide
Doubt we will see any reviews soon as the game comes out in April.

Never got to play Alan Wake so that's great that it's coming with it. As for it being free on PC, LOL aren't all games free on PC? Yo ho, a pirate's life for meeee!  :whistle2:  :whistle2::p

Never got to play Alan Wake so that's great that it's coming with it. As for it being free on PC, LOL aren't all games free on PC? Yo ho, a pirate's life for meeee! :whistle2: :whistle2:$ :p
I am not inociant in this, I was once in high school with not a buck to my name (and let's plays didn't exist then as we know it).

But now, these days the length people go through to blocker ports and modify system files, then find a new crack to keep it update...

It just doesn't seem worth it. If your life was like mine, I lived in an isolated farm hose in the boondocks ; if you can find a job to walk/bike/get a ride, it will help everyone.

IM NOT SAYING ANYONE HERE PIRATES GAMES. Just some advice I wish I'd have gotten growing up.

I am not inociant in this, I was once in high school with not a buck to my name (and let's plays didn't exist then as we know it).

But now, these days the length people go through to blocker ports and modify system files, then find a new crack to keep it update...

It just doesn't seem worth it. If your life was like mine, I lived in an isolated farm hose in the boondocks ; if you can find a job to walk/bike/get a ride, it will help everyone.

IM NOT SAYING ANYONE HERE PIRATES GAMES. Just some advice I wish I'd have gotten growing up.
I think we've found slidecage's long lost brother.

Did any details surface yet on if there will be an actual code for the Windows 10 version or if it will just be tied to our account?

If you look at the page for quantum break, at least on the console, it says windows 10 code will be sent as a system message around the week the game comes out

If you look at the page for quantum break, at least on the console, it says windows 10 code will be sent as a system message around the week the game comes out
This is what I'm thinking. I don't think it actually matters where the code comes from because they are just sending the PC code to your XBL account in a message. I have no proof of this, it's just what I expect to happen

I would definetly get the game from cdkeys, since its like $47 on there right now for a digital code, but i dont want to chance it and not end up getting the win10 version or the alan wake games. 

I wanted to pre-order at best buy and take advantage of GCU, but I'll probably just buy some live credit and sell off the pc code. If I want to play the pc version down the road I'll buy it when it's $5

I wanted to pre-order at best buy and take advantage of GCU, but I'll probably just buy some live credit and sell off the pc code. If I want to play the pc version down the road I'll buy it when it's $5
Speaking of that... do you think the demand on PC is high?

Speaking of that... do you think the demand on PC is high?
Not really. It's Windows 10 store exclusive and not on Steam.

Windows 10 store reportedly has some issues running AAA games and up until very recently has really only been used for mobile and casual games.

Plus PC gamers are used to paying dirt cheap prices. I don't think you'd get $30 for it. Probably $10, maybe $15 or $20 but not here CAG PC gamers are the cheapest of all.

*Edited to add: We also don't know for 100% sure that it won't just be linked to your XBox/Microsoft account in some way thus unsellable so I wouldn't buy it specifically with the intention of getting money back for selling the PC version. If it happens great, but don't necessarily expect it and don't expect to get a lot for it either.

I still can't find any confirmation of the specific "participating retailers" whose digital version will have the Win10 version. I've even contacted Remedy and it seems like they're intentionally being coy, which, I have to admit, just pisses me off even more.

I still can't find any confirmation of the specific "participating retailers" whose digital version will have the Win10 version. I've even contacted Remedy and it seems like they're intentionally being coy, which, I have to admit, just pisses me off even more.
just buy it on the marketplace............

I understand everyone is trying to get the best deal but come on. If you want the windows ten version just get it on the marketplace. Remedy is trying to hook us up and there is really no need for you to get "pissed off" because they're not telling us every detail about freebies.

And Remedy prob has nothing to do with how the freebies are getting redeemed or sent out. If you're gonna get pissed off at someone it should be MS.

Did any details surface yet on if there will be an actual code for the Windows 10 version or if it will just be tied to our account?
It clearly says on Remedy's webpage that it will be a code sent to you as a message over Xbox Live.

Anybody should be able to use the code. Like when Gears of War 1, 2, 3, and Judgment codes were sent to people who played Gears Ultimate online within a certain timeframe, download codes for the other games were mailed to them. I gave my codes away to a friend and they had no problem redeeming them.

With all the videos I've seen, it doesn't look all that great. You should just wait for $5 period on either platform because there's no online play so no rush to level up or anything. Besides, there are plenty of shooters to play. You know, 7 out of 10 games released these years are dudes running around in 1st/3rd person view with guns.

With all the videos I've seen, it doesn't look all that great. You should just wait for $5 period on either platform because there's no online play so no rush to level up or anything. Besides, there are plenty of shooters to play. You know, 7 out of 10 games released these years are dudes running around in 1st/3rd person view with guns.
There is so much dumb with this post. There are games from 5+ years ago that still don't hit $5, so expecting that kind of price before the next generation is ridiculous (and it'll probably never get that low digitally).

As for that "stat," I'd say 7/10 games are half-baked indie trash that never should have been sold in the first place. We aren't wanting for guns in games, but it's not like we're hurting for platformers, walking simulators, or much of anything nowadays.

Wait for $5 because there's no online? You can be cheap, but don't be moronic. If the quality is even half of what Alan wake was, I'll be more than happy.

This is one instance where the console version should be $10 cheaper than the PC version seeing the quality is going to be so different between the versions

This is one instance where the console version should be $10 cheaper than the PC version seeing the quality is going to be so different between the versions
That's generally the case with games on PC and console though. I actually cancelled my physical pre-order because they XBone version looks pretty bad. I'm gonna switch to digital so I can play PC (since I upgraded my video card).

bread's done
Back