Quantum Break - PC version free if you pre-order Xbox One version, also free Alan Wake + expansions

boylover

CAGiversary!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/quantum-break-xbox-one-digital-download/1000006305.p?id=1000006304&skuId=1000006305

http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-pre-orders-and-previews-launch-windows-10-version-announced/

All copies of Quantum Break on Xbox One will come with Alan Wake + DLC episodes playable on the 360 and Xbox One (now backwards compatible).

Pre-orders will also get you download codes to redeem for the Windows 10 PC version of Quantum Break, and the Xbox version of Alan Wake's American Nightmare (also X1 compatible).

Basically, if you really wanted to just play the PC version of Quantum Break you could easily pre-order this, get the download code, then sell your Xbox One copy. You'll also score the Alan Wake downloads.

The article says pre-order at Xbox Store or "participating retailers" though none are specifically mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's generally the case with games on PC and console though. I actually cancelled my physical pre-order because they XBone version looks pretty bad. I'm gonna switch to digital so I can play PC (since I upgraded my video card).
Didn't the pc version have to have stream the tv episodes or something wierd?

just buy it on the marketplace............

I understand everyone is trying to get the best deal but come on. If you want the windows ten version just get it on the marketplace. Remedy is trying to hook us up and there is really no need for you to get "pissed off" because they're not telling us every detail about freebies.

And Remedy prob has nothing to do with how the freebies are getting redeemed or sent out. If you're gonna get pissed off at someone it should be MS.
Amazon and Best Buy will have all of the same freebies if you pre-order the digital copies from them.

Alan Wake + both DLC, American Nightmare, and the Window 10 version.

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Break-Pre-Load-Xbox-Digital/dp/B01BXR3YEC/

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Let-s-Talk-Gaming/Quantum-Break-at-Best-Buy/td-p/955126

I haven't seen anything about GameStop. The digital version doesn't seem to be available on their website.

Ive become less and less interested in this game for the past couple months

Pc version = only win store, only win10
Tv show tie-in (i didn't know about it)
Streaming cutscenes - while it sucks on its own, that makes this an online only game (i think i read that you can download them to storage but still, eventually the servers will go down and no more game)
Framerate not consistent throughout, and on a microsoft owned game.
Pc version sounds like it literally can't be 60fps for some reason

Bleh

Ive become less and less interested in this game for the past couple months

Pc version = only win store, only win10
Tv show tie-in (i didn't know about it)
Streaming cutscenes - while it sucks on its own, that makes this an online only game (i think i read that you can download them to storage but still, eventually the servers will go down and no more game)
Framerate not consistent throughout, and on a microsoft owned game.
Pc version sounds like it literally can't be 60fps for some reason

Bleh
Just to cover all of those:

1. Yeah, it sucks for Steam users, but it's not that bad. There isn't much reason to not be on W10 at this point, if you're not a Linux/Mac user.

2. The TV show tie-in is the group of cutscenes. It's not like Defiance where you need to tune in to Syfy every week, you've just got some 20-30 minutes in videos between the chapters. You can also skip them and watch them later (or not at all), though I'm not sure how much that confuses the story.

3. You CAN download the cutscenes. I'm curious to see how much space they take up. IDK how the game reacts in general if you don't have them installed and you tried to play offline, but I'm sure we'll find out. Regardless, that last part is worrying about what might happen in 10 years. I wouldn't get hung up on that.

4. The framerate is locked at 30 FPS on XB1, but it sounds like you want it on PC, so that shouldn't affect you.

5. As-is, there isn't a way to unlock the framerate. However, Microsoft has said that is going to change, but I think they said it might not be ready until the summer, which is definitely lame.

yeah I cancelled my xbox one pre order from best buy, this feels like one of those games thats gonna be 10 hours total and after 2-4 weeks will drop on sale for $40 all the time.  also would like to see how much better the PC version is visually than the xbox one version, if it turns out to be way better I'll just wait for a cheap PC key even if its only the crappy win10 store

If I can sell my windows 10 key for $25, that makes it $35 for Quantum Break and both Alan wake games with all DLC. Extremely fair price. Not to mention I paid with gift cards so I'm basically converting $25 of credit into $25 cash which is awesome since I don't buy much on the digital store.

There is so much dumb with this post. There are games from 5+ years ago that still don't hit $5, so expecting that kind of price before the next generation is ridiculous (and it'll probably never get that low digitally).

Wait for $5 because there's no online? You can be cheap, but don't be moronic. If the quality is even half of what Alan wake was, I'll be more than happy.
The $5 remark was a direct quote from the person I was quoting who said he might wait for that price on PC, so there's no need to get jumpy and calling me dumb/moronic because it just makes you two more dumb/moronic. Realistically speaking, about $10 is usually what the MS published games will be in a year or two.

Like I said, the vids I've seen thus far doesn't show the game deserve an immediate purchase (subjective)... and since there's no online, I can definitely wait for the "right" price to buy. Pre Alan Wake's release, the videos for it showed game play far more unique than Quantum Break's, thus that game deserved almost an immediate purchase despite no online modes. This game's videos so far show it's just your typical 3rd person shooter with a twist or two. Again, everything I said is subjective so if you don't agree, fine but don't call people names.

If you go get the 20% at Family Dollar you can essentially get both versions of the game for $48 which isn't bad (considering you can't get GCU/Prime on digital). As for the game looking generic you've got to admit Max Payne looked pretty generic too but look how it turned out. Remedy has had a great record that I feel getting the game for $48 at release is worth it. 

The store isn't the only issue. UWP is garbage and leads to some of the other issues he mentioned.
Basically, you're linking to an article making complaints that Microsoft has already said it will address. They know that the customization with graphics settings bothers people, and they've stated they're going to get better, starting with the locked framerates: https://www.windowscentral.com/framerate-locking-fixes-windows-10-uwp-based-games-are-coming-later-year

Calling UWP garbage is to call iOS and Android garbage, because that is what Microsoft is working towards, but with greater hardware flexibility. The platform is far from garbage, it's that people are overreacting because a platform isn't perfect after less than a year, and when it's only been about 2-3 months since it started pushing big-name games. The Epic article's a perfect example of that, as Phil Spencer quickly came to debunk the idea that Microsoft is trying to lock down Windows games.

Calling UWP garbage is to call iOS and Android garbage
I don't want my primary gaming devices running those either. I could not care less about Microsoft's ecosystem. I will never buy a Windows Phone, I'm very unlikely to buy an Xbox One, and the only reason I am on Windows 10 is for DirectX 12. Rise of the Tomb Raider (on Steam) and Hitman both utilize the latter without having to be neutered by UWP. In fact, the Steam version of RotTR is objectively better than the Windows 10 Store one for that very reason.

edit: Microsoft doesn't get or deserve credit for fixing problems that didn't exist until they created them.

yeah fuck giving microsoft a pass for "minor" problems with UWP like gSync not working, borderless windowed mode not working, nvidia game settings not working, or sweetFX not working.  Those are not minor problems, those are goddamn PC gaming defining features and should have been in a list of shit that works at launch for Windows 10 UWP store apps/games, not promised to patch them in over a year after release.

I don't want my primary gaming devices running those either. I could not care less about Microsoft's ecosystem. I will never buy a Windows Phone, I'm very unlikely to buy an Xbox One, and the only reason I am on Windows 10 is for DirectX 12. Rise of the Tomb Raider (on Steam) and Hitman both utilize the latter without having to be neutered by UWP. In fact, the Steam version of RotTR is objectively better than the Windows 10 Store one for that very reason.

edit: Microsoft doesn't get or deserve credit for fixing problems that didn't exist until they created them.
So, in the end, your complaints are fairly useless. You weren't going to go to Microsoft's platforms in the first place. The games in the Windows Store are ones Microsoft wasn't going to publish on PC without the Windows Store (given they haven't done it in several years). I mean, ANY credit for what they're doing? They're bringing several games/franchises from Xbox to PC. They're releasing a free version of Forza, and it's going to have 4K support. You get Quantum Break free on PC with a digital XB1 pre-order. Halo Wars is getting brought over. Killer Instinct is coming. Gears of War Ultimate is already there, and it launched for $10 less than the XB1 version (though several months later). They co-funded the development of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and it's possible that's the reason the game happened. Killer Instinct is getting cross-platform play. Quantum Break is getting cross-platform saves. XBL is being opened up to play with PC and PSN (if Sony wants to cooperate).

You seem to sprint to complain, but resist and acknowledgement of improvement. The third-party stuff (RotTR) wasn't hidden from Steam because it went to the Windows Store. Several games are either on or coming to PC now, because of the Windows Store. It's still a mess, no one's saying it isn't. They're at least making an effort to get their games to the PC market that claims Microsoft has wanted little to do with them. I'm not saying don't point out the flaws, or give credit for the undone. I'm saying consider where Microsoft was before Windows 10, notice the dozen or so games and improving technologies coming from them, and at least be something other than blindly hating on them.

Just my setup, physical copy for Xbox one ($42 GCU -$5 Rewards= $37)+ Alan Wake + American nightmare.

for $37 sounds like a reasonable price.

The footage I've seen sort of reminds me of infamous powers, but I also loved Second Son (Which most people say is the worst Infamous game). I've seen enough trailers to see it look likes a game for me, i'm going blackout on anymore spoilers.

(I don't know if the cutscenes are on the Disc)

Having brand loyalty to just about anything is stupid and illogical from an economists stand point.  Having brand loyalty to steam is actually not good for PC gaming in anyway.  Steam gained an amazing prominence when it A) Transitioned from complete shit to a useful front end and B) had great sales.

Steam now is the go to source of third party DRM when people used to fight the entire concept.  Before, if any service was required it was bad, now Steam is good and everyone else is bad.  The reality of it is all the store fronts function completely acceptably in their main function: getting you in a game.  Steam's success has also killed it's sales.  The amazing jaw dropping prices are gone and only other sources offer great deals.  Humble Bundle is how everyone amassed massive, pointless, collections of games they will never play (but at least it was for a good cause).

I have a Steam account with 800+ games and I've never played most of them.

Hi.  I'm GThirst, and I'm an addict.

I also have an origin account, uplay, and MS store (though I've never bought anything on the former).  They could have drawings of dicks all over them and I wouldn't care, since they disappear when I hit "start game".

If DRM choice is such a problem, just purchase and then crack it, then create a shortcut in whatever stupid front end you use.  Assassin's Creed 2 comes to mind.  There are so many graphical interfaces to opening EXEs...

Also, I'm buying this game on Xbone because I trust Remedy and my PC sucks.  Preordering games is stupid, but I want the incentives.  I never got around to Alan Wake, but I never paid more than $10 for a Max Payne game and they deserve my support.  So this game could be a total dud and I could hate it, but it won't ruin my life.

Steam now is the go to source of third party DRM when people used to fight the entire concept. Before, if any service was required it was bad, now Steam is good and everyone else is bad. The reality of it is all the store fronts function completely acceptably in their main function: getting you in a game. Steam's success has also killed it's sales. The amazing jaw dropping prices are gone and only other sources offer great deals. Humble Bundle is how everyone amassed massive, pointless, collections of games they will never play (but at least it was for a good cause).
It isn't so much as DRM that's the issue so much as what type of DRM. Steam offers a very unobtrusive DRM, so unobtrusive that you could download a game an then run it offline (about as strict as installing from DVD). As a benefit, you can have countless games stored on their servers which you can access and download on multiple computers anytime you want.

Several games are either on or coming to PC now, because of the Windows Store.
I think that's disingenuous. There was nothing precluding Microsoft from releasing these games on their own damn platform without forcing them to be UWP apps. In fact, the Xbox versions were probably developed on PC to begin with. To credit them with creating an ecosystem that then has set these games backwards in terms of features is ridiculous.

Microsoft doesn't have a single development team talented enough for me to be thankful for the opportunity to play their games with the possible exception of the Forza team if we get a Horizon on PC. RotTR is a second party game. Quantum Break is a second party game. Gears Ultimate is a remake of a second party game. They can keep Halo and Killer Instinct.

I think that's disingenuous. There was nothing precluding Microsoft from releasing these games on their own damn platform without forcing them to be UWP apps. In fact, the Xbox versions were probably developed on PC to begin with. To credit them with creating an ecosystem that then has set these games backwards in terms of features is ridiculous.

Microsoft doesn't have a single development team talented enough for me to be thankful for the opportunity to play their games with the possible exception of the Forza team if we get a Horizon on PC. RotTR is a second party game. Quantum Break is a second party game. Gears Ultimate is a remake of a second party game. They can keep Halo and Killer Instinct.
In short: "I don't like Microsoft's games. I hate the Microsoft puts the games I don't want on a platform I don't want."

You aren't even interested in the thing, yet you complain about it. The games weren't being brought to the PC in the first place. The shared code base is why it's happening. You weren't going to get the games without the Windows Store, so the complaint about losing features from a version that was never going to exist is patently ridiculous.

I hate that Microsoft puts talented third party developers' games on a platform I don't want that sets their technology backwards, yes.

Feel free to continue to pat them on the back for throwing a self-serving bone (pun intended) to users of their own platform whom they've ignored for years though.

Well, just ignore it. I mean, you weren't getting those developers' games anyway without it. With any luck, Microsoft will listen to your complaints and stop trying to cater to PC gamer, because the people on that side clearly have no interest in getting more games unless they can pirate and hack them.

With any luck, Microsoft will listen to your complaints and stop trying to cater to PC gamer, because the people on that side clearly have no interest in getting more games unless they can pirate and hack them.
Your ignorance and bias continue to show. Modding, for example, is a legal and legitimate feature that paying PC customers expect that Microsoft has killed with UWP. I guarantee you that UWP in no way will prevent piracy.

edit: Maybe what you meant is that PC gamers have no interest in compromising, which is true, because that's the entire point of the platform.

Your ignorance and bias continue to show. Modding, for example, is a legal and legitimate feature that paying PC customers expect that Microsoft has killed with UWP. I guarantee you that UWP in no way will prevent piracy.
Right back at you, man. It's not bias on my end, I can just actually look at things objectively. Note that I point out the flaws and say they need fixed when you mention them, but when I point out the benefits, your response is just "but the bad stuff!"

It'll prevent piracy in some cases. I'm not saying it'll eliminate it, but if there's no Win32 version of the game, or a version for older OS iterations, those on the old, pirated OS copies can't get to a pirated copy of it. The workarounds will become more work for people, and there are some who won't bother with it. But it's adorable and easy for you to make a guarantee that has 0 means of being proven. You might as well be guaranteeing what will happen in 3 million years.

UWP doesn't stop modding. It might make unapproved modding harder or impossible, but if you believe piracy will still be possible, then I don't see how you can say otherwise for modding. You don't get it both ways. Developer tools in games (like Skyrim had with Steam Workshop) wouldn't be disallowed in the Store or anything. Heck, as it stands, you're still complaining about things that don't happen on PC much, if at all (are unofficial Rise of the Tomb Raider mods common and popular on Steam?). The fullscreen and OBS/FRAPS issues are legitimate ones (though I have confidence that Microsoft can resolve those, though they've been horribly slow with many things of late).

But, feel free to continue to rail on Microsoft's future because of the infancy of a platform. I mean, the 3 months during which the Windows Store have hosted major games is CLEARLY indicative of what they're trying to do. Microsoft's always been known for having things together and working from the start, and they've never made improvements to a single platform they've had over time.

I don't know anybody with a good enough PC to try and run the game, was going to try and sell my windows code off on the cheap but don't have any prospective buyers. I still think it's a great perk for people like me who were going to be buying the game anyways.

I don't know anybody with a good enough PC to try and run the game, was going to try and sell my windows code off on the cheap but don't have any prospective buyers. I still think it's a great perk for people like me who were going to be buying the game anyways.
Yeah, it's at least got me thinking about going digital. You're now talking about getting 3 copies for $60, if you do the game sharing. I'd need a new GPU to run it (and I care more about getting a PS4, TV, and SSD before that), so I wouldn't use it. But if I could get it, share the game with my cousin (who is possibly getting an XB1 soon), and someone in my family with a W10 PC, that would be nice.

But, I'm not sure that trumps my desire to have a disc and trade it in when I'm finished.

Re: dude saying Steam is bad yadda yadda.

There's also the matter that a digital collection is a bit different than a physical particularly on the PC.

If you do digital with Sony or Microsoft you know where your collection is. With the PC we already have EA taking their toys and leaving the Steam sandbox and we really don't want to get to a point where every publisher wants to force everyone to use their own store and client.

Then we end up having to have 20 or more clients installed and our collection scattered across a bunch of different sites and it's a real pain.

PC gaming really needs and equivalent of Ultraviolet for digital video where you can buy once and then choose which site you want the video on but we're not there yet.

Personally I'm not completely opposed to the Windows 8/10 store and I do play a few games there, but casual/mobile games, which was what it was designed for. It has a ways to go to be a suitable portal for AAA PC games and even Microsoft knows that.

Plus they don't exactly have the greatest track record with PC gaming. People still remember the disaster that was GFWL and are hesitant to trust Microsoft again for AAA PC gaming.

OP should clarify that it's digital-only, rendering the deal kinda moot if you have GCU. 

"All copies of Quantum Break on Xbox One..." No, that is flat-out false.

OP should clarify that it's digital-only, rendering the deal kinda moot if you have GCU.

"All copies of Quantum Break on Xbox One..." No, that is flat-out false.

It was confirmed that Best Buy digital pre-orders count too.

Someone on the BB forum said you can buy digital pre-order cards for the game in-store and still get the GCU discount? Is that true?

Cool I wish I had a good PC to run the game, but I do have it pre-ordered for Xbox One and can sell the PC download to a friend to make some of my money back.

fine print on xbox.com

Free Quantum Break Windows 10 game offer valid with pre-order of digital copy of Quantum Break for Xbox One, by April 4, 2016, from Xbox Store, Xbox.com, participating retailers, or inside Quantum Break Xbox One console bundles, while supplies last (physical game discs and bundles with Quantum Break game discs are excluded from this offer). Quantum Break Xbox One codes purchased at retail and inside bundles must be redeemed on the console or at Xbox.com by April 4, 2016 11.59 PM Pacific Time. Windows 10 game redemption code will be sent via Xbox system message around the week of April 5, 2016. (In US, UK and Canada, codes with pre-order of the Xbox One Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle can be redeemed by April 10th, 2016, 11.59 PM Pacific Time.) For Windows 10 game system requirements seewww.quantumbreak.com/windows10. Offer available in all Xbox Live markets except China.

no physical copy comes with the windows ten version(at least in the states). The only way to get it is by preordering digitally and redeeming quantum break on live by April 4th.

I find it weird that they mention you get a windows 10 version of the game if you buy the console bundle since it comes with a digital xbone copy, and that it has to be redeemed by the 4th but the console isn't out until the 5th.....

It was confirmed that Best Buy digital pre-orders count too.

Someone on the BB forum said you can buy digital pre-order cards for the game in-store and still get the GCU discount? Is that true?
gcu doesn't work on digital games, doesn't matter if it's in store or online.

I didn't think so. Oh well, my son wants it for his PC. He isn't getting it unless he forks over the difference.

Kind of blows how they did this. I mean I can see MS doing this if they wanted to encourage purchases directly from XBL/Xbox.com, but retail surely gets a cut of digital card purchases so why rule out physical? The digital codes for Alan Wake's American Nightmare still come. Not like a huge issue to have a redemption code for physical too.

fine print on xbox.com

Free Quantum Break Windows 10 game offer valid with pre-order of digital copy of Quantum Break for Xbox One, by April 4, 2016, from Xbox Store, Xbox.com, participating retailers, or inside Quantum Break Xbox One console bundles, while supplies last (physical game discs and bundles with Quantum Break game discs are excluded from this offer). Quantum Break Xbox One codes purchased at retail and inside bundles must be redeemed on the console or at Xbox.com by April 4, 2016 11.59 PM Pacific Time. Windows 10 game redemption code will be sent via Xbox system message around the week of April 5, 2016. (In US, UK and Canada, codes with pre-order of the Xbox One Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle can be redeemed by April 10th, 2016, 11.59 PM Pacific Time.) For Windows 10 game system requirements seewww.quantumbreak.com/windows10. Offer available in all Xbox Live markets except China.

no physical copy comes with the windows ten version(at least in the states). The only way to get it is by preordering digitally and redeeming quantum break on live by April 4th.

I find it weird that they mention you get a windows 10 version of the game if you buy the console bundle since it comes with a digital xbone copy, and that it has to be redeemed by the 4th but the console isn't out until the 5th.....

Oh well, I'd rather have a physical copy than a free download of the Windows 10 version that I won't be able to run.

It said that with the console bundle you have until April 10th.

How much you think people are gonna sell the PC version for it? Or is it somehow tied to your Live account?
That's been my thought all along. You have to redeem the Xbox code, and then the Windows 10 code is sent to your xbox (not your email). That code has to be linked to your xbox/live account. Doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong, I just thought it odd for Microsoft not to know about the resellers. If not in theory you could make 100 emails, buy it digitally, then sell 100 Windows 10 codes?

If not in theory you could make 100 emails, buy it digitally, then sell 100 Windows 10 codes?
yea but you would have to buy 100 copies digitally for xbox one........

How much you think people are gonna sell the PC version for it? Or is it somehow tied to your Live account?
I see some asking for $30 but I'm sure once it's out and codes start flooding here it'll get around/below $20.

I preordered this just for Alan Wake- been wanting to try that game for years
you won't be disappointed, such a great game.

If I can sell my windows 10 key for $25, that makes it $35 for Quantum Break and both Alan wake games with all DLC. Extremely fair price. Not to mention I paid with gift cards so I'm basically converting $25 of credit into $25 cash which is awesome since I don't buy much on the digital store.
I'll buy that.

Edit:
I may have spoke too soon. Does it come with Alan Wake for PC?

I didn't think so. Oh well, my son wants it for his PC. He isn't getting it unless he forks over the difference.

Kind of blows how they did this. I mean I can see MS doing this if they wanted to encourage purchases directly from XBL/Xbox.com, but retail surely gets a cut of digital card purchases so why rule out physical? The digital codes for Alan Wake's American Nightmare still come. Not like a huge issue to have a redemption code for physical too.
It doesn't make sense to give it to physical.

Buy game, get Windows Code, return game.

Or

Buy game, get Windows Code, trade in game. Neither of those are good ideas for Microsoft.

So just to clarify, this is for DIGITAL version only of Quantum Break?

Edit- I see that it is now, misread something.

Re: dude saying Steam is bad yadda yadda.

There's also the matter that a digital collection is a bit different than a physical particularly on the PC.

If you do digital with Sony or Microsoft you know where your collection is. With the PC we already have EA taking their toys and leaving the Steam sandbox and we really don't want to get to a point where every publisher wants to force everyone to use their own store and client.

Then we end up having to have 20 or more clients installed and our collection scattered across a bunch of different sites and it's a real pain.

PC gaming really needs and equivalent of Ultraviolet for digital video where you can buy once and then choose which site you want the video on but we're not there yet.

Personally I'm not completely opposed to the Windows 8/10 store and I do play a few games there, but casual/mobile games, which was what it was designed for. It has a ways to go to be a suitable portal for AAA PC games and even Microsoft knows that.

Plus they don't exactly have the greatest track record with PC gaming. People still remember the disaster that was GFWL and are hesitant to trust Microsoft again for AAA PC gaming.
So what your initial complaint boils down to is wanting every publisher to bend over for Valve. If Microsoft did that, you might not get Xbox LIVE integration and cross-platform saves for Quantum Break. I'm not opposed to Valve and Steam, that's a misreading of my point. I'm saying that if you hate Microsoft for giving its content a digital store, then it stands to reason that Valve should be hated for it as well. Both are DRM stores that can hinder personal use, in some way or another.

We all know Games for Windows LIVE was terrible. Microsoft killed it because of that. To me, it also means that we should be cautious of Microsoft's new efforts. That doesn't mean getting mad at them for trying to bring additional content to us. As I stated before, it's not like Microsoft is no longer putting its self-published games on Steam over this, you just weren't getting them AT ALL before the Windows Store.

bread's done
Back