Radio Shack Ad Shows Xbox 360 Consoles Price Drop

ChaosWeevil

CAG Veteran
[img-r=4668]1916[/img-r]Joystiq has obtained a copy of a future Radio Shack Ad (dated 9/7) which lists price drops for the Xbox 360 Elite and Arcade consoles. These prices jibe with Ars Technica's original report which revealed the new prices as:

• Arcade $200
  • Pro (60GB HD) $300
  • Elite (120GB HD) $400
Ars's mole also says we should expect game pack-ins in time for the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when everyone was waiting for Falcon but at this point maybe it's time to just buy. I mean how many times are you going to wait for the next revision?

[quote name='rickonker']I remember when everyone was waiting for Falcon but at this point maybe it's time to just buy. I mean how many times are you going to wait for the next revision?[/quote]

Indeed. I couldn't imagine waiting on a new chipset, especially when RRoD will always be something 360 owners will have to deal with. Yes, die shrinks help to reduce heat, but the system itself is still simply just designed poorly. Considering the three-year warranty, I would just get the system when you want to and cross your fingers you don't run into issues.

[quote name='rickonker']I remember when everyone was waiting for Falcon but at this point maybe it's time to just buy. I mean how many times are you going to wait for the next revision?[/QUOTE]

People just love making excuses, if they really wanted it they would have bought it by now. I know several people that never got an xbox 1 because oh they wanted to wait for the rumored slim version. It just goes on and on and it is easy to just wait yourself right to the next generation of consoles. Then time to start over :)

[quote name='coolsteel']People just love making excuses, if they really wanted it they would have bought it by now. I know several people that never got an xbox 1 because oh they wanted to wait for the rumored slim version. It just goes on and on and it is easy to just wait yourself right to the next generation of consoles. Then time to start over :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am still playing freaking home pong! Though I am pretty sure Jasper is what I have been waiting for... ;P JK, already have a 360, really just want one with a bigger HDD, built in WiFi, quiet, and BD drive for movies. That would make me happy, otherwise I am going to stick with my old clunkier.

This Kmart ad is showing the same prices... I hope it's real!!

0823080814tq4.jpg

Source:
http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?p=2108934#post2108934

[quote name='reallynotnick']Really just want one with a bigger HDD, built in WiFi, quiet, and BD drive for movies.[/quote]
There is such a system! :lol:

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Smaller chipset will release less heat.....and overheating is believed to be the number one culprit of RROD. I'm also hopeful that the new units might revised the architecture a bit to complement the smaller Jasper chipset with smaller internal fans and a quieter drive to reduce the overall noise output.[/quote]

I am also holding out for the Jasper chipset...even if it doesn't completely solve the whole RRoD, reducing the likelihood is better than nothing.

Anyone know how we can tell which units have the new chipset? I saw the 60GB Xbox 360 at Walmart yesterday but couldn't tell...

Another thing - are all versions of the 360s (arcade, pro, 60gb, elite) compatible with HDMI? I used to think only the Elite is, but did they recently change that?

Thanks!

[quote name='yuy104']I am also holding out for the Jasper chipset...even if it doesn't completely solve the whole RRoD, reducing the likelihood is better than nothing.

Anyone know how we can tell which units have the new chipset? I saw the 60GB Xbox 360 at Walmart yesterday but couldn't tell...

Another thing - are all versions of the 360s (arcade, pro, 60gb, elite) compatible with HDMI? I used to think only the Elite is, but did they recently change that?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes, all 360 models in retail now are HDMI-out equipped. Elite was the first with the Zephyrs, now everything is a Falcon. Jaspers to follow soon?

MjC

Everything produced in 2008 has the Falcon chip till the Jasper models roll out. Falcon failure rate is 10% or so but have only been out for a good year+. Anything prior to falcon is believed to have a 35% failure rate or worst.

fuck the Falcon chipset (my Falcon-based 360 recently died; pardon the anger). I'm waiting for the next models. Jasper or bust.

When was yours manufactured? As Ruined said, even Falcons are prone but the percentage is much lower. You'll get yours repaired for free anyways, if it happens again then I would worry.

I'll probably buy another 360 in 2-3 years. Just hope they make a "black" core model or the elite is cheap enough to plop the other hard drive in.

Well, my Xbox 360 just now had the RRoD. But seeing as I had a pretty long run with my system I wasn't too upset (Holiday season of launch?). More surprised I lasted this long hah.

Jasper sounds cooler than Falcon so I guess I'll wait.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']anyone know when this flyer will be out ? i checked sunday's newspaper and nothing[/QUOTE]

Week of Sept 7th, but you can always buy now and PM later. Circuit City & BestBuy have 14 or 30 days lowest price guarantee policy.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Smaller chipset will release less heat.....and overheating is believed to be the number one culprit of RROD. I'm also hopeful that the new units might revised the architecture a bit to complement the smaller Jasper chipset with smaller internal fans and a quieter drive to reduce the overall noise output.[/quote]

Unless Microsoft have finally revised the cooling system clamps, the problem is still going to be there.

Same goes for the shoddy solder jobs they're probably still using.

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']with these price cuts what will happen to the ps3 ?[/quote]PS3 won't have price cuts this year[quote name='oasisboy']Will the wii finally drop to $199.99? (this should be the price by now)[/quote]Wii won't price cut until they can keep it in stock.[quote name='coolsteel']Ugh they still make the Arcade version? At cheaper then a Wii though it should really fly off the shelves this holiday season[/quote]naa Arcade is too handicapped by comparison. No HD will hurt it.

I think this will be a temp price cut until they get the new SKu's out with the Motion Controllers in them and the price will go back up to what they are now. But as is its a good deal. Besides who really is looking forward to motion control

anyone have any idea what the prices will be for a used system at eb/gamestop? Just curious since if it drops the system low enough (150 or hopefully 130) might as well get one of those. Id rather have a GS warranty than a MS one. At least they offer in store swap. Like leasing a crap car for a year instead of buying a slightly less crappy car.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Arcade is too handicapped by comparison. No HD will hurt it.[/QUOTE]

Mom and Dad won't care when they go to buy Junior one this Christmas, as long as they can see Junior's face when he opens it under the tree.

kotaku has a post with the Sept 7th BestBuy ad showing the price drops.

I'm going to get an 360, it's a matter of wondering when jasper will be out (and the controller redesign). If it is 1-2 months, I can wait.

[quote name='Kevin3085']If the 60GB is going to be $299.99, than what will the 20GB be?[/QUOTE]

One was marked with a red dot clearance sticker at my local Circuit City store for $279.99, so you can check your CC. Probably YMMV, though. Prices on the Halo 3 wireless controllers were also discounted, but I forgot how much.

well I just woke up and its sunday I checked my newspaper for the xbox 360 price job ad and nothing yet

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']well I just woke up and its sunday I checked my newspaper for the xbox 360 price job ad and nothing yet[/quote]

That's because the price drop is NEXT week.

If money is not an issue is the Elite really worth the extra 60 gigs? Is that the only difference between it and the Pro besides color?

[quote name='liza2']If money is not an issue is the Elite really worth the extra 60 gigs? Is that the only difference between it and the Pro besides color?[/quote]

You get an HDMI cable, but then you don't get a component cable... it's pretty much down to what you're planning to play your games on.

[quote name='tianxia']You get an HDMI cable, but then you don't get a component cable... it's pretty much down to what you're planning to play your games on.[/quote]

A 46" Sony Bravia flat LCD 1080i. Almost got the 40" 1080p but the bigger size won the family vote.
-------------
I'm going to go with a Pro. I don't think I am going to download much. I'll get the HDMI cable from monoprice.

[quote name='VWKILLER0']well the prices have dropped at gamestop.com since about 8pm est!!![/QUOTE]

jr.com to through Amazon. I'm guessing Amazon will change their prices later today. As stated earlier, 9/5 is the price drop and 9/7 is when It's advertised/dumbass department managers/managers get their last chance to fix it to that price.

My Elite came with a component/composite and a separate HDMI cable.

[quote name='tianxia']You get an HDMI cable, but then you don't get a component cable... it's pretty much down to what you're planning to play your games on.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hufferstl']My Elite came with a component/composite and a separate HDMI cable.[/quote]

Ditto. You get both with the Elite.

My circuit city is giving me a hard time price matching the elite I bought two weeks ago. They said that I have the holiday bundle and they won't price match it with the regular elite. I had to go to best buy across the street to get them to copy their sku for the holiday bundle. The manger still wouldn't price match because best buy said that they don't have the holiday bundle in stock. Online it says that my area has the holiday bundle in stock. Why do people act like you are taking their firstborn when you try to price match sometimes?

bread's done
Back