Rage requires 3 discs on 360, 8GB install on PS3

Sounds like the single player on 360 is actually two discs, and one disc is just for multiplayer.

So if you're tight on hard drive space, best solution would be to install disc one, play it, then delete disc one when finished and install disc two. Multiplayer would probably be the install after done with single player. Shouldn't really need to take up more space than any other game or Dead Space 2 for example.

I've got the 250gb though so I'll probably install all 3 just because it looks ridiculous.

The multiple discs doesn't really bother me - I'd rather have that with the option to install than have content cut or reduced in quality, or be saddled with a slow early generation blu-ray drive like the PS3 is.

What they should have done is just included a code in the package to download the multiplayer mode on 360 - required one of the two single player discs to be in the drive while it's being played.

What's surprising is that it doesn't appear that there is an option to fully install the PS3 version? Wouldn't it provide some kind of advantage to install the game fully on PS3?

[quote name='jer7583']Sounds like the single player on 360 is actually two discs, and one disc is just for multiplayer.

So if you're tight on hard drive space, best solution would be to install disc one, play it, then delete disc one when finished and install disc two. Multiplayer would probably be the install after done with single player. Shouldn't really need to take up more space than any other game or Dead Space 2 for example.

I've got the 250gb though so I'll probably install all 3 just because it looks ridiculous.

The multiple discs doesn't really bother me - I'd rather have that with the option to install than have content cut or reduced in quality, or be saddled with a slow early generation blu-ray drive like the PS3 is.

What they should have done is just included a code in the package to download the multiplayer mode on 360 - required one of the two single player discs to be in the drive while it's being played.

What's surprising is that it doesn't appear that there is an option to fully install the PS3 version? Wouldn't it provide some kind of advantage to install the game fully on PS3?[/QUOTE]

You don't install full games on the PS3 unless it's a direct download. You just install data to the disk for faster load times because of Blu-Ray slower disk reading speed.

This will be the 2nd largest base install of any PS3 game behind only GT5 (which is 10GB) and Bethesda had to get special permission from Sony for it to be that large. Most other games w/ large installs are about 4-5 GB before patches/DLC.

[quote name='MSUHitman']You don't install full games on the PS3 unless it's a direct download. You just install data to the disk for faster load times because of Blu-Ray slower disk reading speed.

This will be the 2nd largest base install of any PS3 game behind only GT5 (which is 10GB) and Bethesda had to get special permission from Sony for it to be that large. Most other games w/ large installs are about 4-5 GB before patches/DLC.[/QUOTE]

How big was MGS4's install? I remember watching Snake smoke a cigarette for a preeeetttyyy long time....

I'm alright with the 8gb install, but the load times should be minimal. Sony should let the user choose how much of the game they'd like to install on the system. 8gb can be the minimal, but if someone wants to 10, 15, 20, or 25(max), then there's nothing wrong with giving the option.

[quote name='iamsmart']How big was MGS4's install? I remember watching Snake smoke a cigarette for a preeeetttyyy long time....[/QUOTE]

don't remind me... I want to go back and play this game again, but I can't... load times are too too long.

So anyone else worried about the Tuesday midnight embargo for reviews? I am excited for this game but it always worries me when a publishers restricts the reviews. I do not think Deus Ex and I know Gears of War 3 did not do this and they both reviewed well. I just get wary of games that do this (like they have something to hide). I trust Id but I will not be running out Tuesday to buy until I see most of the reviews.

Bethesda does it for everything across the board. I don't think this game will turn out bad.

[quote name='iamsmart']How big was MGS4's install? I remember watching Snake smoke a cigarette for a preeeetttyyy long time....[/QUOTE]

It was hella annoying to have that happen every chapter.

install install install install
load load load
cutscene cutscene cutscene cutscene
play game!
cutscene cutscene cutscene
play game!
cutscene cutscene cutscene
load load load
etc

Yeah, the biggest problem with MGS4 in terms of installs is that it inexplicably didn't let you do it all at once. Unless it was deleting the old stuff before installing the new stuff in order to minimize the size eaten up by the game.

Still, I think most people who are serious about their games have pretty big hard drives.

On topic - I'm excited for Rage. I've been playing Doom 2 just for some of that iD flavor.

[quote name='cancerman1120']So anyone else worried about the Tuesday midnight embargo for reviews? I am excited for this game but it always worries me when a publishers restricts the reviews. I do not think Deus Ex and I know Gears of War 3 did not do this and they both reviewed well. I just get wary of games that do this (like they have something to hide). I trust Id but I will not be running out Tuesday to buy until I see most of the reviews.[/QUOTE]
It's ID so no. I have never played an ID game that disappointed me.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's ID so no. I have never played an ID game that disappointed me.[/QUOTE]

^ This. John Carmack does not know how to disappoint.

Rage is what borderlands was supposed to be when it was originally announced. It looked likeRage however, switched to a cell shaded style. I'm sold... I just saw the glave weapon for the first time. Any game that has a Glaive weapon in it.. I must instantly buy. As a matter of fact... I need a Dark Sector 2.

Rage-1.png

By far the biggest game I've ever downloaded. Going to take 7 or 8 hours total for me to download on my 5 Mbps connection (I live in a pretty rural area).

The embargo on the reviews and Brink have me worried. Bethesda did a bad job on Brink from what I keep reading and I really wanted to play that game till I started to hear how bad it was. Everything I see about Rage looks good and I keep seeing from the creator of Doom and Quake. After I see that I see the name Bethesda so what happened to Id Software? I don't remember ever getting a bad game from Id. If I saw Id on the cover or on amazon I would be happier.

[quote name='sendme']The embargo on the reviews and Brink have me worried. Bethesda did a bad job on Brink from what I keep reading and I really wanted to play that game till I started to hear how bad it was. Everything I see about Rage looks good and I keep seeing from the creator of Doom and Quake. After I see that I see the name Bethesda so what happened to Id Software? I don't remember ever getting a bad game from Id. If I saw Id on the cover or on amazon I would be happier.[/QUOTE]
Bethesda is the publisher. Id is the developer. Brink was developed by Splash Damage, a completely different company. There is no relation between Brink and Rage.

Thats good to know. I forgot that I had the game preordered on amazon at one point. Looks like I never canceled it. I hope it and another game get here by friday. So if I hear rage ends up crap I will just send it back.

I got the PS3 version from Amazon this week with the $10 credit. I have only put an hour or two into it so far but I am definitely enjoying it. There are some issues with texture pop in but the game play is solid and the game looks amazing. So far totally worth picking up.

I initially pre-ordered the PS3 version, but exchanged it for the 360 version after reading Digital Foundry's Head to Head.

I've installed both discs and have played over 4 hours now. I have not noticed any delayed texture mapping or texture popping issues at all. Game moves amazingly smooth.

bread's done
Back