[Rant] - GameStop

Fah_Q

CAG Veteran
Sorry if this isn't the place for this, I just feel the need to rant a bit.

I went to GameStop the other day, and decided to trade a couple of games in. I could've sold on e-Bay and got more money for them, but I didn't feel like dealing with PayPal, or shipping, I just wanted to use the money towards the new Battlefield anyway. The closest GameStop is about a good 35-40 minute drive away, so I don't get out there very often.

Well, the headache didn't come until it came time to cash out. In the end, I got my copy of Battlefield for free from store credit, and had about $50 to spare. I had to renew my Edge card due to lack of going there, and after I had done that, the guy told me I had $10 down on Modern Warfare 2 that I never picked up. When he asked me if I wanted to get move that $10 to a new game reserve or not, I just said no.

He then picked up a copy of Game Informer, and asked me if I had that issue or not already. I said no, and he proceeded to say "alright, I'll throw that in for you then."

I didn't see a problem at the time, until I left and looked at my receipt. I had found a subscription to Game Informer added for $14.99, despite not ever being asked if I wanted to subscribe or not, and I had also lost the $10 I had originally put down on Modern Warfare 2. Keeping in mind that I had went in a few months ago to get a copy of the Left 4 Dead 2 beta, the GameStop employee not only told me I had $35 worth of old game reserves from 3-4 years ago on my account, but he also put it all on an Edge card for me... so I went back in.

At first, I asked about the subscription. I didn't want it, I don't like Game Informer. The only magazines I actually really read are OXM, Nintendo Power, and Game Pro. He said that since he had already put the subscription through, there was no way for me to get my money back. I told him that I didn't want the subscription in the first place, and all he could say was, "I'm sorry man."

So, then I asked about the $10, knowing that the last time I was able to get that back. He told me that the employee who did that for me last time never should have, because the only thing I would be allowed to do is transfer that $10 to a new game reserve, or just cancel it and lose my $10. Which is apparently what happened. There's really no new games I wanted to reserve, so I just told him no on transferring it, assuming I'd get my $10 credited back. But... no. Didn't happen.

And this is why I rarely go to GameStop. It's convenient, the only other store I have nearby is Wal-Mart. I don't have any other stores nearby unless I want to drive almost an hour and a half to head out to the closest city. On the plus side though, he didn't pester me twenty-thousand times about reserving a game or buying a used game.

I may be wrong on this, but isn't the GameInformer subscription how they charge you for the Edge card renewal?

GI subscr = edge card unless you were charged an extra 15$ than yeah you were fucked over but it's 15$ total for both

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I may be wrong on this, but isn't the GameInformer subscription how they charge you for the Edge card renewal?[/QUOTE]
Yep, that's what the EDGE card comes up as, as far as I know. It did for me when I renewed it.

Yeah, you already said you renewed your edge. Did you not get Game Informer before? Or maybe wonder why you were asked if you had the issue he was asking about?

Also, in before Ninja Dog commenting about how Gamestop sells open games as new.

No offense, but you never realized your total came out to be $15 more than you thought?

Maybe I'm the only one who looks at the credit card readers at GS, because it displays everything that is being added to your receipt as they are ringing it up.

You also would have seen if that $10 had gotten credited back to you, because that also shows up on the credit card reader. I watch that damn display like a hawk, and only after I'm sure that everything has been put in properly do I finish the transaction.

Paranoid? Nope, just caught too many of their mistakes this way to do it any other way.

It's definitely wrong what GS did to you, but you definitely gotta pay attention to everything that happens at the register and not trust the cashiers.

"So, then I asked about the $10, knowing that the last time I was able to get that back. He told me that the employee who did that for me last time never should have, because the only thing I would be allowed to do is transfer that $10 to a new game reserve, or just cancel it and lose my $10. Which is apparently what happened. There's really no new games I wanted to reserve, so I just told him no on transferring it, assuming I'd get my $10 credited back. But... no. Didn't happen."

That is not true, your $10 stays in the system forever. Also they can reverse your subscription. I would call their customer service department. I am a former gamestop employee (that actually ran his store intelligently lol) and I used to refund reserves and the subscription all the time.

You can go in there and get your $10 back any time or transfer it to a new reserve or use it towards a purchase. You did not just lose it forever. That guy is just being an idiot, tell him to fuck off and give you your $10 back. As everyone else said though, the $15 is your edge card subscription and you just get game informer included with edge.

My Edge card runs out soon and I don't want to deal with those fucknuts renewing it.

My big gripe against Gamestop is how they sell open games that employees actively rent as new titles. I had to go to four Gamestops to get a sealed copy of Demon's Souls - and that was the second week it was out. I ordered a new copy of GrimGrimoire from their site a month after the game came out and I got it completely opened. And they don't just open the box, they MANGLE it and cover it with stickers and then have kids put their jamhands all over the disc and box and take bites out'f the manual. It makes me want to eat my own eyeballs.

GameStop needs to get investigated by BBB

False advertising, new games aren't new, if they are opened

If you buy a rehurbished Xbox 360 they will say it is new

etc. etc.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']GameStop needs to get investigated by BBB

etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

That's clearly your fault for not knowing what "refurbished" means.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']GameStop needs to get investigated by BBB

etc. etc.[/QUOTE]

when they say something refurbished is new they just mean that its new to you.

lol. I used to work at Funcoland in HS and my favorite task was to spray foaming bubbles on the trade-in system, wipe them down with a paper towel and put them in a box. It sucks that they did that-- but it kept me from being behind the register.

The line they gave you about 'losing the $10 forever' is bullshit, OP. The douchebag employee just wanted to pad his pre-order numbers by transferring that $10 over to 1-2 pre-orders to keep his quota that I've heard they have to reach.

Go back immediately, ask to speak to a manager and if the manager doesn't want to do anything then call corporate from right in the store. The number is 1-800-883-8895. Press 0 at the first menu to get to talk to a live person w/o all the other menu crap.

As far as the newsed games(open games they sell as new)go, I just go to different Gamestop stores until I find one that has a sealed copy, unless it's something I intend on playing anyway and it's cheap enough.

But as others said, OP, the Game Informer subscription comes with the EDGE card nowadays and it's $15 sadly. I preferred when it was $5 from EB and we still got the 10% discount, since Game Informer is a total shitrag since Gamestop Corp. bought their ass out.

i stopped reading when you typed that the guy asked you if you had that issue and you said no and he said he would throw it in

i mean you got punked bad in real time and just couldnt handle it, no use making this thread other than to embarass yourself--you won't get any refund or money back from gamestop and you will still continue to shop there

Addressing the while $15 EDGE card thing - I work at Gamestop, and you don't sell the EDGE card. You sell the $14.99 GameInformer sub, and get the EDGE card as a bonus for signing up for the subscription (in-stores). For example, you would not get the EDGE card if you signed up for GI online or with a sub/renewal slip from inside the magazine.

Bottom line is, when you said that you wanted to renew your EDGE card, you were basically saying that you wanted the GI subscription - as the card is a bonus for subscribing. I'm not going to get into the pre-order money thing, but that's why you were charged that $15 for the EDGE card renewal.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Addressing the while $15 EDGE card thing - I work at Gamestop, and you don't sell the EDGE card. You sell the $14.99 GameInformer sub, and get the EDGE card as a bonus for signing up for the subscription (in-stores). For example, you would not get the EDGE card if you signed up for GI online or with a sub/renewal slip from inside the magazine.

Bottom line is, when you said that you wanted to renew your EDGE card, you were basically saying that you wanted the GI subscription - as the card is a bonus for subscribing. I'm not going to get into the pre-order money thing, but that's why you were charged that $15 for the EDGE card renewal.[/QUOTE]

Actually for the longest time they have had a box you could check on one of those renewal postcards from inside an issue of GI. For a while, the amount to get an EDGE card through that method was listed as $5. It was listed that way for so long that someone even made a thread about it and MANY people remarked that they DID receive EDGE cards by using that card.

[quote name='Fah_Q']Sorry if this isn't the place for this, I just feel the need to rant a bit.

I went to GameStop the other day,[/QUOTE]

you remove your right to complain by doing this.

I only expect shame and disappointment when going there. It's awful.

[quote name='Ziv']Also, in before Ninja Dog commenting about how Gamestop sells open games as new.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ninja dog']goddamnit[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

You say Gamestop is convenient, but it doesn't sound convenient to me.

Amazon is convenient, you order a game and a week later it's delivered to your door. Even Goozex is fairly convenient. Gamestop is a hassle.

[quote name='camoor']You say Gamestop is convenient, but it doesn't sound convenient to me.

Amazon is convenient, you order a game and a week later it's delivered to your door. Even Goozex is fairly convenient. Gamestop is a hassle.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is also one of the reasons gamers are the lonely social rejects they are. when you can just sit at home on your computer all day, and order games that way, you get no human interaction and are doomed to be the socially award loner that you are. Gamestop at least gives the illusion that you are aren't a weird loner, by making you get out of the house and communicate with other human beings. That, and you don't have to wait a week for your game to arrive.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Amazon is also one of the reasons gamers are the lonely social rejects they are. when you can just sit at home on your computer all day, and order games that way, you get no human interaction and are doomed to be the socially award loner that you are. Gamestop at least gives the illusion that you are aren't a weird loner, by making you get out of the house and communicate with other human beings. That, and you don't have to wait a week for your game to arrive.[/QUOTE]

thats what online gaming and hookers are for.

[quote name='Organization_XIII']Amazon is also one of the reasons gamers are the lonely social rejects they are. when you can just sit at home on your computer all day, and order games that way, you get no human interaction and are doomed to be the socially award loner that you are. Gamestop at least gives the illusion that you are aren't a weird loner, by making you get out of the house and communicate with other human beings. That, and you don't have to wait a week for your game to arrive.[/QUOTE]

I get plenty of social interaction. I don't want interaction with the social rejects filling the Gamestops around here!

I order online largely to save time. I don't care about getting games fast--get most off of Goozex months after release anyway.

Many things are just more convenient (and often cheaper) to order online when you're working long hours and on the go a lot in your free time. Has nothing to do with being a loner etc. for most people.

Typically, I don't have an issue with Gamestop. I would like to weigh in here and give my two cents.

I agree that game informer is a shitty mag, but if you pay for the EDGE card, use the discount enough throughout the year to make the 15 bucks back, you're basically getting the mag for free. I mean really, who gets the EDGE card for GameInformer?

My beef is the fanboys who work at some Gamestops in small towns who think they are king shit. I sometimes make the mistake of asking these clowns a question, only to be subjected to a condescending diatribe letting me know how much they know, and how stupid I must be for not knowing that the 23rd iteration of Halo comes out on October 15, 2022. Sorry dude, I was too busy having a real job and banging my girlfriend to get into the inner circle at Microsoft.

The most interesting thing was the last time I was in EB Games in Rotterdam Mall in NY. As a child of the 80s, I am a lifelong fan of the Mario and Zelda series. Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet, I play "real" games too. Anyhow, I like many, are anxiously awaiting any new news on the new Legend of Zelda game. I walked through the Wii section and something caught my eye. It was a game box with cover art featuring "baby link" - you know WindWaker Link. The box was black, pic of link, and some made up title that had to do with the moon or something. I asked the store employee about it, because I am an idiot, and he proceeded to tell me how he downloaded it from an official Zelda site. Now I hadn't been on the net, that day so I thought maybe, just maybe, I missed it. So I asked, what else he knew about it. He proceeded to tell me that it was a continuation of the story of Spirit Tracks onto the Wii. I told him that would be stupid and I hoped it wasn't really true. He then got defensive about it, spouting off how great WW, PH, and ST were. It then clicked for me. He was so caught up in to fact that he was an EB manager, he thought he could actually create box art and storylines for proposed games and believe that they would come true and then try to convince people in the store that they were true.

I went home and turned on my computer, found the art that was shown at E3 last year, and realized how much of a loser you must be to create fictional box art for a video game and then defend its relevance. This was about a month ago, so it may have been taken down, but if not, this was in the EB store in Rotterdam Square Mall in NY.

lol Awesome!!!

bread's done
Back