Rare Replay $26 via Amazon with Prime

Happened to us with Lego Movie game my wife called me from work all upset that it wouldn't recognize the disc. 6 hours later I got home ejected it from the system and put in back in and it took right off.

Yes! Battletoads is back! Now maybe people will actually play it, realize how mediocre it is, and shut the hell up about it.

Yes! Battletoads is back! Now maybe people will actually play it, realize how mediocre it is, and shut the hell up about it.
It was the first time I ever played it and it's pretty fun. Kind of like Battletoads Arcade better, but still, I can see why people like them.

Tons of great stuff in here, especially looking forward to Jetforce Gemini when the controls are patched.

This collection easily could of sold for $60 IMO.

So I already have Viva Pinata:  TiP installed but this is installing another version with slightly different artwork (with RARE REPLAY across the top).  Is there any functional difference between the two?

So I already have Viva Pinata: TiP installed but this is installing another version with slightly different artwork (with RARE REPLAY across the top). Is there any functional difference between the two?
I don't think so. But it probably will launch the one with the logo from inside Replay. I had two Perfect Darks so I just uninstalled the BC one from the preview.

I don't think so. But it probably will launch the one with the logo from inside Replay. I had two Perfect Darks so I just uninstalled the BC one from the preview.
Well crap, now that VP:TiP is installed the RARE REPLAY on the picture is gone so I can't tell them apart and don't know which one to delete. FML (not really).

Battletoads is fun, but ridiculously unfair at times. Even in the first stage there are things that can instakill you. The unlimited lives and rewind helps greatly.

But yeah, some of these aren't naerly as good as people may remember. Anything prior to the NES (the Spectrum stuff) is total garbage unless you want to play it for memories. About 10 of the games are nothing more than a couple minute affairs (unless you love achieves) that will make you wonder why people even liked games back then. Even once you get to the NES days, only a couple of those are worth playing. Rare hit their stride in the N64 days and after, that's where the most fun is to be found - it is also where they discovered how to balance difficulty. UK gamers loved HARD games (like unbeatable hard), once Nintendo brought them in they found a good balance. Their XBox games are typically under-rated. Perfect Dark Zero is mediocre (it was a launch game), but Kameo and BK Nuts and Bolts are better than people think they are if you give them time.

Blast Corps is probably the best game in the package. And Jet Force Gemini will be great too, once they patch in the dual stick controls which they said they were doing.

Got home after taking my family to dinner and the Y, and my Rare Replay was waiting for me. I haven't been using my Xbox 1 much for games, and I think the last disc based game I put in there was Project Spark a few months back (or maybe I rented Battlefield Hard-line from Redbox more recently, not sure), but it gets used daily for watching TV, and every few weeks or so we'll rent a DVD or Blu-ray. I put the disc in, and nothing happened, the tile still read "Insert Disc". I tried about half a dozen times, but it just wouldn't recognize it. I found a video of someone saying if it doesn't read the disc to push down on it as you are inserting, but that didn't work either. I had to go down to the garage to get another disc to test, fearing that the drive had gone bad. I put in Ryse, and it recognized it immediately. After breathing a sigh of relief, I tried Rare Replay again, and it is installing now. Has this happened to anyone else (not necessarily with Rare Replay)? Is my drive going bad? It is a Day One system, if that makes a difference.
Have you installed the latest system update? It needs that to play Rare Replay because it contains the Backwards Compatibility bits :) (Go into settings and then System to check if you have any pending updates. If you don't use Instant-on it won't have downloaded and installed overnight for you).

Have you installed the latest system update? It needs that to play Rare Replay because it contains the Backwards Compatibility bits :) (Go into settings and then System to check if you have any pending updates. If you don't use Instant-on it won't have downloaded and installed overnight for you).
I use Instant-on, and I have the latest update I could get, but I'm not in the preview program (a kind CAG sent me an invite last night, so I should get it in a couple of days). After inserting a different disc and swapping back to Replay, it did start installing. Thanks, though.

Battletoads is fun, but ridiculously unfair at times. Even in the first stage there are things that can instakill you. The unlimited lives and rewind helps greatly.

But yeah, some of these aren't naerly as good as people may remember. Anything prior to the NES (the Spectrum stuff) is total garbage unless you want to play it for memories. About 10 of the games are nothing more than a couple minute affairs (unless you love achieves) that will make you wonder why people even liked games back then. Even once you get to the NES days, only a couple of those are worth playing. Rare hit their stride in the N64 days and after, that's where the most fun is to be found - it is also where they discovered how to balance difficulty. UK gamers loved HARD games (like unbeatable hard), once Nintendo brought them in they found a good balance. Their XBox games are typically under-rated. Perfect Dark Zero is mediocre (it was a launch game), but Kameo and BK Nuts and Bolts are better than people think they are if you give them time.

Blast Corps is probably the best game in the package. And Jet Force Gemini will be great too, once they patch in the dual stick controls which they said they were doing.
Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo were both launch 360 games. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is in my top ten games of all time so that's another highly recommended game in this package.

Well crap, now that VP:TiP is installed the RARE REPLAY on the picture is gone so I can't tell them apart and don't know which one to delete. FML (not really).
Had this same problem myself. There is one subtle difference between the games however. If you install a game from Rare Replay, the reserved save file space is 10MB. If you download a game via backwards compatibility, the reserved file space is 256 MB. The latter would be the one that is safe to delete. With that said however, I am wondering if anyone tried deleting the 10MB version and see if the game would load the backwards compatible version instead.

Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo were both launch 360 games. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is in my top ten games of all time so that's another highly recommended game in this package.
Yeah, I had them both when I got the 360 at launch along with Call of Duty 2. I've played both extensively, and beat both (since the pickin's were slim back then). Kameo is better than people give it credit, I'd put it about on the level of Starfox Adventures, fun adventure game but really doesn't do anything innovative - the main feature they seemed to focus on was the massive number of enemies in the field. Perfect Dark seemed so basic compared to CoD2, but I did play it to end - then never touched it again (multiplayer was terrible).

Viva Pinata games are good I've heard, my son played it some - I need to give it a shot. I'm happy with the collection even though only half the games are worth more than a minute or so, and really wanted Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (although since that would be the only SNES game, I can kind of understand now why they skipped it).

Employees also offer a free "testing service!" They'll take your new copy home and try it out to make sure it works perfectly and then sell it to you as new!!!

So after just under an hour with Microsoft Stores customer service, I'm finally on my way to getting my games.

They had to completely cancel my previous order, since my payment "conveniently" wasn't able to be authorized and processed.

We re-did the entire process over the phone with my CC and they had to re-issue a brand new $50 credit, since the failed authorization voided the old one useless.

The nice lady issued me a $20 Xbox digital gift card in place of two separate $10 gift cards for pre-ordering two copies of the game, which she told me doesn't expire. Received it within a couple minutes.

She also upgraded it to overnight/express shipping, so I guess I'll get it Friday or Monday at the latest.

Not sure what the he'll caused this issue, as I ordered my Xbox One bundle from there in June with zero issue.

Everything was already up to date in their system. Not sure if I want to order from them anytime soon after this.

Last edited by a moderator:
what's the conspiracy theory behind this statement? What do you mean by "conveniently?" you think they don't want your money?
Well, I've seen a good amount of people on here complaining about their orders having the same issue or having their orders completely cancelled on them, because of failed authorizations, when they didn't have that happen to them before.

Some people speculated that it had to do with them not wanting to honor the $10 pre-order promo.

Of course they're going to want money. They're a business. But what am I suppose to think when all my information is good and up to date, and then all of a sudden it can't be authorized?

I never got mine either. (For pre-ordering The New Blood) I wish I had returned it and bought it on PSN for $10 a couple of weeks back. I haven't called them yet, but think I will today.
Called them today and they generated a code for me while I was on the phone. The CSR said she had no idea why it didn't generate a code. She also said she couldn't give me the $15 I figure I should have gotten instead for being an Xbox Rewards member. I figured it wasn't worth arguing over that extra $5 in credit. Glad to put that behind me.

Bottom line : Keep them honest. Call if you don't get a rewards email in the next nine days.

Called them today and they generated a code for me while I was on the phone. The CSR said she had no idea why it didn't generate a code. She also said she couldn't give me the $15 I figure I should have gotten instead for being an Xbox Rewards member. I figured it wasn't worth arguing over that extra $5 in credit. Glad to put that behind me.

Bottom line : Keep them honest. Call if you don't get a rewards email in the next nine days.
Did she tell you why she couldn't give you the full $15? I would think it would be easy to show the the language and then show them that the email address you used to place the order and the email address that belongs to Xbox Rewards are the same.

Employees also offer a free "testing service!" They'll take your new copy home and try it out to make sure it works perfectly and then sell it to you as new!!!
It still blows my mind they do that and cannot even knock the 5 bucks off to sell as used. Many times this was the last copy and I am not going to buy some dudes sloppy seconds; without a discount.

Man some of the early games are so bad lol.

That one where you in a cave and you jump like a frog and then somehow get suspended by a rope for no reason hahaha.

Not complaining though, Banjo and Kazooie games were some of my favorites on N64 back in the day.

You could just take the games from the store for no monies and then they're free!
pejxB.gif

Glad I read in this thread, as I ran into the same "payment can't be authorized" BS that a number of you did as well.  Also on the same date, the 31st.

I had them re-order it and ran into the same issue again the day after the replacement order was placed.  My order is waiting for someone at their 2nd level to "finish" the order and get it to ship out, as I stopped trying to re-auth the card again and stopped it from being auto-canceled.  Which means if I don't get it shipped out by tomorrow, it's going to be ugly when I call them about it.

bread's done
Back