Rare Sega CD games

vasco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I was cruising through my old school collection and wondered if there are any rare games for the Sega CD that I might have missed out on. So far I have Lunar 1 and 2, Popful Mail, 3rd World War, Snatcher, Shining Force CD, Dark Wizard and Flink. I have a ton more, but they aren't as unseen on eBay. I even noticed I have a 2nd copy of 3rd World War. I could never get into that game. Waaaaaaaaay too complicated. Am I missing anything?

Oh shit, I do have Vay. How bout that. I guess that maybe does cover everything.

It's not super-rare but Earthworm Jim - Special Edition is a worthy addition to any Sega CD collection. I recommend tracking it down if you don't already have it.

I have a question about a game that has infatuated me since I saw the picture of it in an old JCPenneys catalogue as a child.

Wonder Dog on the Sega CD..... is it any good? Or is it a let down that Faria and Sword of Vermillion were to me years later.

[quote name='Paco']Keio's Flying Squadron. It's an anime Shmup for the Sega CD[/quote]

No, I don't have that one. Earthworm Jim is another one I don't have but have been trying to track down. Wonder Dog was one of the worse platformers ever. Ending made no sense what so ever. Neither did that game. Why does everyone rag on Sword of Vermillion. I loved that game.

Do you have Lords of Thunder & Android Assualt? They're don't go for as much as Popful or Lunar but they're good shooters worth owning.

There's a couple I see on ebay that go up to 200+ complete one begins with Dragon and the other is something Ark (can't remember the first part of names, been a long time since I tried to get them) are a couple super rare games- shining force and popful are rare as well ( i own both with the guides, as well as vay and dark wizard-only kept wizard for the music, game takes forever to finish a board-great games though). You do know you can back up a sega cd game and play it without any type of moding?

[quote name='Shadows916']There's a couple I see on ebay that go up to 200+ complete one begins with Dragon and the other is something Ark (can't remember the first part of names, been a long time since I tried to get them) are a couple super rare games- shining force and popful are rare as well ( i own both with the guides, as well as vay and dark wizard-only kept wizard for the music, game takes forever to finish a board-great games though). You do know you can back up a sega cd game and play it without any type of moding?[/quote]

I think maybe you're thinking of Dragon Force and Shining the Holy Ark? If so, those are Saturn games.

Two other Sega CD games that are uncommon to find, and I like, are Panic! and The Space Adventure Cobra.

Snatcher, which is perhaps the most expensive of them all. Still looking for a reasonable deal on one myself. Nighttrap is another harder to find game, although probably not worth playing.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Do you have Lords of Thunder & Android Assualt? They're don't go for as much as Popful or Lunar but they're good shooters worth owning.[/quote]
Here is a full list of what I have.
Batman Returns, Lunar 1&2, Vay, Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Snatcher (w/o manual), Shining Force, Final Fight (still kick ass), Adroid Assualt, Lords of Thunder, Robo Aleste, Eternal Champions, original Night Trap (w/o case and manual), Sol Feace, Sega Collection ( Streets of Rage 1, Revenge of Shinobi, Columns, Golden Axe), Wonderdog, 3rd World War (2 of em?) Silpheed, Jaguar XJ220( music is awesome), Sonic CD, Panic (game makes no freakin sense at all), Flink, Sewer Shark, Revengers of Vengance (cool fighting game IMO), Cobra Command, Prince of Persia, Heimdal, Terminator (Tony Tallrico's best soundtrack), Prize Fighter and Samurai Showdown.
I'm sure I have more, but I have to check my "don't play" box. It might be eBay gold. Also, does anyone know where I can possible find a PDF of the Snatcher manual or something?

[quote name='vasco']Here is a full list of what I have.
Batman Returns, Lunar 1&2, Vay, Popful Mail, Dark Wizard, Snatcher (w/o manual), Shining Force, Final Fight (still kick ass), Adroid Assualt, Lords of Thunder, Robo Aleste, Eternal Champions, original Night Trap (w/o case and manual), Sol Feace, Sega Collection ( Streets of Rage 1, Revenge of Shinobi, Columns, Golden Axe), Wonderdog, 3rd World War (2 of em?) Silpheed, Jaguar XJ220( music is awesome), Sonic CD, Panic (game makes no freakin sense at all), Flink, Sewer Shark, Revengers of Vengance (cool fighting game IMO), Cobra Command, Prince of Persia, Heimdal, Terminator (Tony Tallrico's best soundtrack), Prize Fighter and Samurai Showdown.
I'm sure I have more, but I have to check my "don't play" box. It might be eBay gold. Also, does anyone know where I can possible find a PDF of the Snatcher manual or something?[/quote]
For the Snatcher man, there's always JunkerHQ - http://junkerhq.net/Snatcher/scdimages.html
Not the full manual, but the comic and some other stuff.

Panic! is one of my fave Sega CD games. The whole point of the game is "press buttons and stuff happens". Heimdall is cool. I like the drawn look of Revengers, but I totally suck at the fighting game.

Besides Space Adventure Cobra & Keio's you got most everything of importance. BTW, very nice collection, are they all complete?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Snatcher would make a killer DS game. Come on Konami![/quote]
Yes.... yes it would.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Besides Space Adventure Cobra & Keio's you got most everything of importance. BTW, very nice collection, are they all complete?[/quote]
The only things not complete are Snatcher (manual), Popful Mail (jewel case and no manual. got at garage sale for $1). Everything else is complete. I just glanced the collection and I also have Fatal Fury Special, Double Switch ( fun FMV game), Marky Mark and INXS Make Your Own Video (ROFL!!!) and Time Gal, Road Avenger, Rise of the Dragon (jewel case only), Star Blade, AX3 Thunderhawk (awesome heli shooter) and Power Ranger (I still dig the theme music).

I just looked up Keio's Flying Squadron and the only place I could find it for Sega CD was on Half.com for $97. I don't remember that one at all. Was it ever any good? What about Space Adventure. Was it like Space Ace, Tim Gal and the like? Was it ever any good?

Rise of the Dragon is an awesome point n' click style adventure title, if you like that kind of thing, as are The Adventures of Willy Beamish and The Secret of Monkey Island.

The Ecco the Dolphin games are way better on Sega CD too, IMO, since they have the CD sound and I think one or both have additional levels.

I'll second the recommendation on Panic...one of my favorite games ever, and also one of the weirdest games to ever be released in the US of A.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Am I the only one that didn't get Panic?[/quote]

No. I never understood that game. Only played 20 minutes of it with my litle bro watching and even he thought it was a stupid game. Press a button, move on or something pukes. Go figure. Space Adventure looks pretty fun. I loved the point and click adventures. I had Willy Beamish. I just couldn't stand how somethings really lagged. I never played Monkey Island. Was that any good? GMEN BABY!!!!!!

Personally, I prefer the Monkey Island games on PC because its just so much easier/quicker to play with a mouse than having to move a cursor around with the controller. Really any cursor point and click style adventure games I prefer on PC than console for that reason.

But besides that, yeah the first Monkey Island game is really good. All the ones I've played were good in my opinion.

[quote name='brianmoy']Personally, I prefer the Monkey Island games on PC because its just so much easier/quicker to play with a mouse than having to move a cursor around with the controller. Really any cursor point and click style adventure games I prefer on PC than console for that reason.

But besides that, yeah the first Monkey Island game is really good. All the ones I've played were good in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Sega did have a mouse you could use.

Willy Beamish was great, as was Road Avenger and Panic!

Games on Sega CD go for a mint nowadays.

I'll probably be ebaying some stuff once I get some of the games re-surfaced in a couple of months.

bread's done
Back