Rarest game you've seen in a retail store?

[quote name='AshesofWake']Star ocean 2nd Story i know it's not rare....but it's the "rarest" i've seen for 24 bucks...used....[/QUOTE]

I saw it recently for $49.99 used. Next time I stopped in it was gone, of course.

Couple weeks ago some mother bought Lunar Silver stary Story, and A second story. Both complete from the look of them at some local used games place. Owner must have been dumb. She payed only $20 for both.

[quote name='schuerm26']Just wondering what you all thought was the rarest game (money wise or just hardest to find) for each of the major systems still in play (im including PS1 since they play on PS2). Here is my opinion on it.

PS2 - Rez?
PS1 - Valk Prof.
Cube - NCAA 2k3 College Basketball
XBOX - Barbie Wild Horse Adventures

Something like that. Do those sound about right? Anyone else going to post what they think?

Or games that are becoming harder and harder to find.[/QUOTE]

What? Barbie Wild Horse Adventures is considered rare on the XBox?

Panzer Dragoon Saga at TRU (when it first came out) I also saw it in stores used a couple times since then, and if I knew that it would be going on Ebay for what it goes for now, I'd have snapped those up. I also saw Radiant Silvergun twice, once at Babbages when they were selling Saturn imports (this was well before Radiant Silvergun mania went wild, although I did buy it) and once at a Pre Played/Take 2 store for $20 when Radiant Silvergun Mania WAS running wild, and I was able to sell the sucker on Ebay for $150.

[quote name='Number83']ChoroQ for 15 at Boscovs. My best snag though was Suikoden II MINT complete form the Morning EB update! What Luck![/QUOTE]

*seethe. growl.*

Morning update happens at 4 am for me. :(

For Me:

Lunar 2 (bought 2 copies at Target for 7.48, kept one)
Rez (9.99 bought at family Video)
Gitaroo-man (21.99 at GS after the person who told me to buy the game when it first came out trade it in)
Jedi Outcast (target 7.48)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Bought 3 of them, 2 X-Box copies traded, Will NEVER give up PS2 version)

All of my rare finds come in pairs:

Rez (2x, new for $19.99 each @ CC)
Gitaroo Man (2x, new for $3.33 each @ CC after glitch)
The Raiden Project (2x, used for $6.99 each @ GameRush)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (2x for PS2, used for $16.99 each @ GameRush)

So far I have three copies of Ninja Five-O that I found at Fred Meyer during the 50% off clearance games sale they had a month or so ago. I also found a copy of Gitaroo-Man during this time.

My most vivid memory of working at TRU was that we had about 10 copies of Rez in stock when I started working there. I had no idea about the game (other than the cover looked dumb, even for a Sega game) and one day this guy came in and bought all of the copies, full price. What a moron, I thought. Little did I know. :(

hmm lets see i've ran into Firefighter FD 18 (i suppose its "rare") 5 different times, and every time I've put it on ebay.. recently a store was closeing down got two sealed for 20 each..

hmm played Gitaroo man (why can't they just call it Guitaro Man) but anyways, beat that game on all difficulties in a day took it back for a refund (it was about the same on ebay, this was last week) Got Persona 2 and 1 before reprints, I own a Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, i don't know if thats rare or just saught after, got it at a gamestop years and years ago for 40 (it was fairly new at the time) and yeah had all the "bonuses"

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 at a pawn shop for 15,

I was at an independent pc store once that sold used software and had a bin full of nes games. My friend found a sealed copy of Dragon Warrior in there.

Another time a different friend and I were at a Funcoland. He had recently bought a Saturn so we were looking for some games to get for it. On a display at the front of the store were several mint condition Saturn games, including a mint complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. I finally convinced him that he had to buy it, and we pooled our money and had just enough to buy it.

I don't have anything particularly rare myself except maybe Valkyrie Profile which I found retail right after it came out, but people who go shopping with me seem to have had some luck.

I got Syd of Valis for the Genesis at Gamestop a few years ago. It's really rare, but it was really cheap, too. I also got Bangai-O for the DC around that time. It was 20 bucks at Gamestop.

I also have a few of the Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree games for the NES.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Also got an ff7 versus guide for 15 bucks (goes for about 100 on ebay)[/QUOTE]

REALLY!?!? I need to find it! I'm sure I still have it!

just today i was in a sam goody and they had about 4 Dragon Warrior 7 sealed for the playstation...but they were marked $39.99:cry:

Just bought a new Beyond Good & Evil (GC) for $8. That pretty much sets the standard to which all true CAG deals must conform, these days...

[quote name='Jedi1979']just today i was in a sam goody and they had about 4 Dragon Warrior 7 sealed for the playstation...but they were marked $39.99:cry:[/QUOTE]

It may be 8.99, check it out

Gitaroo man. This is when it first came out, Does this even count? I bought it for $9.99 after seeing a review of it on x-play. I liked how it looked and I didn't have a game like that. So I go to best buy and they had about 20 of them at the low price of $9.99 so I bought one. I never knew it was rare until about this time last year. I played it a few times however never got into it to much.

I still have a few rarities left from my NES collecting days. Amongst others, I got Flintstones 2, Little Samson, Tengen Tetris, Qix, Pac-Mania, and the entire set of Bible Games, minus Sunday Funday.

Rarest game deal I've ever had: I went into EB, perusing through the items. What did I find? First, Joe & Mac, $4. Then I continued onward, only to find 1942, $3. Not so rare maybe, but it was the first time I'd seen them there. I also nabbed Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Aero the Acrobat, and Vectorman. I checked out, spending $20, the highest priced item there being Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I picked up System Shock 2 and Grim Fandango for pc at EB this summer. I don't know how rare these pc games are but that was the first time I've seen them in my area. I've heard both are good.

[quote name='docvinh']Back in the day, I remember seeing Panzer Dragoon Saga at EB for fifty bux. Thought about buying it, but passed. Shows what kind of dumbass I am.:)[/QUOTE]You think that's bad, I had the opportunity to buy 5 sealed copies at TRU for $20 #-oTo my credit, this was before eBay was known to me.

My local K-Mart had a 2 sealed copies of Final Fantasy Tactics about a year before the Greatest Hits reprint for $40 ea. I snapped them up and resold them for $80 ea on eBay.

In game crazy last week I bought, in the course of three days, these games-

2 Gitaroo Man Sealed, one not, $40 each
NCAA Basketball 2K3 for gamecube $11
Fatal Frame II sealed $20, 1 not sealed $16
Primal Rage Long Box for PSX,
Magna Carta ToB deluxe new for $55
Metal Gear Solid orig. complete free w/ bogo

and FF Anthology orig. new for $20 in gamestop.

I got a copy of Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner a couple days ago. Not the rarest thing I own (I have some classical CDs that are valued at over $100), but definitely one of the more elusive games I've seen in an actual store.

My eyes about popped out when I walked into a Gamestop early in the year, saw Disgaea on the wall and brought the gutted case up to him - and he pulls a sealed copy out from under the counter! Paid $40 and sold it for $80. And I got another one just two blocks away at a Gamecrazy.

Pickup up earthbound for SNES in the original box with manual at a local EB Games last Summer for $17.99, also picked up DDR Konamix for PSone a couple of days for $17.99 also.

Fun N' Games for the SNES at a GameStop, around the time they started phasing out games for the older systems in early 2004. It was a loose cart. It's an R8 on Digital Press, making it one of the rarest SNES carts, and according to someone at Tradewest, who published the game, only around 2000 copies were made. I don't remember how much I paid, but I'm sure it was around ten bucks. I wound up trading it a few months later for a loose Final Fantasy 3.

As for current-gen stuff, I bought two hard to find GBA games a while ago: Car Battler Joe at a Gamestop, and Strike Force Hydra at an EB. And if Chaos Field (GCN) winds up becoming rare, I just bought that at Gamestop last week.

Fun N' Games for the SNES at a GameStop, around the time they started phasing out games for the older systems in early 2004. It was a loose cart. It's an R8 on Digital Press, making it one of the rarest SNES carts, and according to someone at Tradewest, who published the game, only around 2000 copies were made. I don't remember how much I paid, but I'm sure it was around ten bucks. I wound up trading it a few months later for a loose Final Fantasy 3.

As for current-gen stuff, I bought two hard to find GBA games a while ago: Car Battler Joe at a GameStop, and Strike Force Hydra at an EB. And if Chaos Field (GCN) winds up becoming rare, I just bought that at GameStop last week.

[quote name='sonarrat']Just bought a new Beyond Good & Evil (GC) for $8. That pretty much sets the standard to which all true CAG deals must conform, these days...[/QUOTE]

Congrats, sonarrat. If you decide to keep it sealed, great. If you decide to crack it open and play it, even better.

As for me, I recently snagged yet another Star Ocean The Second Story to trade, if I haven't mentioned it already... not really rare around here, obviously a regional thing due to the lack of RPG gamers in the area.

-sailorneorune

/sold a used one for $27-ish
//if you love something, let it go. If another one turns up at Book Broker, buy it

[quote name='Sailorneorune']Congrats, sonarrat. If you decide to keep it sealed, great. If you decide to crack it open and play it, even better.

As for me, I recently snagged yet another Star Ocean The Second Story to trade, if I haven't mentioned it already... not really rare around here, obviously a regional thing due to the lack of RPG gamers in the area.

-sailorneorune

/sold a used one for $27-ish
//if you love something, let it go. If another one turns up at Book Broker, buy it[/QUOTE]

I opened it. I'm glad I did, because it really is a lot better than the PS2 copy I sold off. :)

I just scanned through Digital Press's rarity list, and found out that the rarest PS1 title is the ELEMENTAL GEARBOLT ASSASSIN PACKAGE. About 40 were made to thank people who had worked on the project - that sounds like the sort of thing that could fetch $1000 on Ebay given the right kind of promotion.

[quote name='sonarrat']I just scanned through Digital Press's rarity list, and found out that the rarest PS1 title is the ELEMENTAL GEARBOLT ASSASSIN PACKAGE. About 40 were made to thank people who had worked on the project - that sounds like the sort of thing that could fetch $1000 on Ebay given the right kind of promotion.[/QUOTE]

I must say that it looks pretty cool:

http://www.stageselect.com/games/GamePicture.aspx?picid=1438

And I actually have a sealed BG & E (GC) that I tried to trade about a month or so ago for Y's: Ark of Napishtim (PS 2). I guess the other trader didn't like the idea, b/c I never heard back :???:

[quote name='mcgavin27']I recently saw a new copy of Rez at my local Rhino. But I am not sure if it is rare anymore.[/QUOTE]

They're still in demand, because Ebay is moving them as fast as the sellers can list them at $50 a pop...

sonarrat - I found it to be the best version of the game. The graphics seemed to be so much better and the controls so much tighter than in the PS2 version at least...

...but then that may be my inner Gamecube fangirl talking, as it was the first current-gen console that I was able to play for long periods of time.

I was in Cincinnati for Christmas, and I must have gone to at least six if not 10 Gamestops, and I think every single one had a $40 copy of Cubivore.

Cubivore was reprinted. I bought one anyway, since I got a Barnes & Noble gift card for Christmas and they own Gamestop, therefore you can order from GS through their site. Win.

I have among the rarest Sega CD and Dreamcast games - Lords of Thunder and Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern, respectively. Bought them both brand new when they came out. LoT is ranked a 7 for rarity, Dragon Riders is a 6. But they're each only worth roughly $30 (which is what I paid for DR), and that's only if the bidders are feeling generous.

I just got a perfect copy of MvC2 at EB today. Amazingly, it was used, yet in flawless condition. No scratches on the disc, I thought this was a dream. Only thing that sucks is getting those stickers off.

[quote name='Dhuk']I just got a perfect copy of MvC2 at EB today. Amazingly, it was used, yet in flawless condition. No scratches on the disc, I thought this was a dream. Only thing that sucks is getting those stickers off.[/QUOTE]

If it's for PS2, there was a new batch released. I'm not sure if Gamestop just found a bunch in a warehouse or if Capcom printed a new batch, but the game has been popping up frequently lately. Also, unfortunately, it's inferior to the Xbox version, which has not been re-released..

REZ for $30 at Toys R Us...I didnt know its value back then...Also Tales of Destiny for $8 at a pawn shop...dont know if that counts as a "retail store".

hummm..
Guess I have seen all the so call rare games produced past the middle 90s when I get into videogames. The only problem is that I didn't knew they were (going to be) rare and either didn't buy them or sold them back for a few dollars (yea, I was a dumb).
The best deal I got from a store would be my find last week at ebgames. I found a mint and complete copy of Tales of Destiny II for $14.99. The games was opened but ebgames claim that it was new and wouldn't give me the 10% coupon. I didn't bother arguing with them though.

I bought Misadventures of Tron Bonne for $40 new a few days ago. That may be a bit high, but god dammit, now I own all the NTSC-U/C PS1 Megaman games.

bread's done
Back