Rarest game you've seen in a retail store?

EagleNights

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but I'm interested- what are some of the rarest games you've seen on shelf in any retail type store, meaning no thrift stores, no pawn shops etc. My best far is Marvel vs Capcom 2 for Xbox, not impressive really, but whatever.

And if this topc doesn't pick up, then include pawn shops and thrift shops too, that's fine.

You can include rarity or value...

Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Intelligent Qube, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono Trigger, both Lunars, Arc the Lad, Tactics Ogre, Star Wars: Jedi Outcast on Gamecube (not really rare; more like fairly uncommon), Doom & Doom 2 on GBA, River City Ransom on GBA..

So I guess the rarest is either Intelligent Qube or Valkyrie Profile.

Suikoden II, at an EBGames. Two complete copies in fact. I didn't know what it was then, but I looked at it and the price tags read $64.99. It wasn't until later that I realized that was actually a decent deal.

Back in the day, I remember seeing Panzer Dragoon Saga at EB for fifty bux. Thought about buying it, but passed. Shows what kind of dumbass I am.:)

Well, if it's a game that is considered rare now it would have to be back in the Saturns last days. I went to a local Toys R Us and they had multiple copies of Panzer Saga and such.

well, it wasnt in a retail store, but still pretty rare to see. "Bubble Bath Babes" for the nes at a rental store. It was long gone before I realized how much it was worth. it was a crappy game anyways

I remember seeing all of the NES "dirty" games (Bubble Bath Babes, Hot Slots, etc) at Hasintgs and my friends' parents complaining to the store. This was before they were known to be rare (at least by me).

I also remember seeing Lunar 2 in several places, and Suikoden II.

As far as finding a game that's "Rare" *after* the rarity has been established, I got a complete Dracula X for snes (I'm talking mint - like someone took off the shrinkwrap and brought it in) and a Dragon Warrior 4 for NES at the same Gamestop a few years back. Also found factory-sealed games at a chain that used to be in my sales territory (They're still there, my territory changed),

PS Factory Sealed (after known to be "rare")
Namco Museum 4 $30
Persona Revelations $20
Tales of Destiny II $40

SNES Factory Sealed (after known to be "rare")
Civilization (Ok, not all that rare) $20
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy $30

NES Factory Sealed
Metal Gear (At a different chain) $20
Arkanoid $30

Yes, I made a pretty penny off many of those games, got kicked out of one of their stores, and banned from trading with the franchise. However, the amount I made off them before being banned is staggering. The fact that they were incredibly unscrupulous made it all the sweeter (I was once quoted $150 lower than the true sum on a trade because he didn't realize I was paying attention. When I called him on it he made a big fuss about how he wasn't going to add those games up again and I could take it or leave it - I took my games to one of their other stores and confirmed he had lied to me. Normally I would concede that people make mistakes, but I have dozens of similar stories from this chain. Very, VERY underhanded).

I'd always see Rhapsody at a Gamecrazy (YEARS before the reprint). I always thought the game looked neat, and I could just tell it was rare. I never picked it up because it was 30$, and didn't have source of income. Besides that, I've managed to get Pirates! Gold and Herzog Zwei for genesis at a Gamestop. Cart only though...bleh!

*edit* - Houw could I forgot this one, Rez at Bestbuy for 20$ :D

Gitaroo Man at EB for 40 before the reprint. which I bought. Pretty much all that Scorch has seen minus VP because he bought that as soon as he saw it :p

I saw Shining Force III at a store once... game disc and case only (no manual) for $126. I also saw 4 copies of Rez at Hollywood video but they were for rental only.

I was with my friend when he picked up a disc only copy of Tactics Ogre at Hollywood Video for $7.50. Sold it on ebay for around $60 even after stating it was scratched to hell and he didn't guarantee it would work past the first 5 minutes.

He also picked up an ex-rental copy of Rez at a Blockbuster for around $20. We beat it that night and he sold it on ebay for around $40.

I got a few years ago for christmas from 5 different people panzer dragoon saga. I played one and the others i kept until last year. here is what i did to all the copies

1. gave to my cousin as a present (bastard sold it to another friend)

2. I trade that for an xbox mint and a gamecube with 6 games

3. Needed money to pay credit card.

4. Have stored away at my aunts house in NY.

5, I gave it to my half brother along with my first saturn.

the first four are sealed copies and the last one i think he still has it. I have all the way from my first nes to the 360, plus i don't like to trade the games i buy i just keep them. so thats why i never bother to sell games even if i got them from other people as gifts.

A month ago I saw a Panzer Dragoon Saga at McVans here in Fort Wayne. Unfortunately they know what it is worth and have it for a $150. It was complete and in good shape too.

I've also passed on Intelligent Qube twice at GS. I just never wanted to pay $40 for an older puzzle game. I've also passed on a lot of other stuff at GS. They price the ps1 games too high.

Shining Force 3 for saturn back like in 1999. It was 125.00 Disc only at Funcoland so I bought that and a Saturn. Game was so good but I ended up selling it to this new store opening up for 10 Bucks. I didn't know alot about video games back then or else I would have kept it.

[quote name='Vinny']I saw Shining Force III at a store once... game disc and case only (no manual) for $126. I also saw 4 copies of Rez at Hollywood video but they were for rental only.[/QUOTE]

In early 2005 I saw 4 copies of rez at a toys r us in barrie, ontario. They were clearanced in a bin for 20 cad each. Clerk thought I was odd for buying all 4, but I didn't care.

Though its odd how many saw panzer dragoon saga while relatively few bought it. I had mine preordered, but those were the days where if you didn't preorder they'd actually sell out of the game if it was popular. I remember when mario rpg came out, I ran to about 6 different stores trying to get it. Finally the guy at funcoland gave me a copy, someone called and asked them to hold it, they told them an hour. Since he knew me he gave it to me when I walked in (if I remember correctly, the hour was almost up but not quite).

Though there is one ma and pa video game store that I've seen multiple suikoden 2 (x3, 35 each), sealed tales of destiny 1 and 2 (35 each), sealed persona 1 (x2, 20 each) and 2 ($20), sealed pre reprint rhapsody (x2, 35 each) and a few other things. He has a huge ps1 wall and a bunch of old stuff, those games had been sitting there since release. Also got an ff7 versus guide for 15 bucks (goes for about 100 on ebay)

I saw a new copy of team buddies at costco for 9.99. According to digital press it is the rarest ps1 game in existence. I bought it because I liked the game from a demo I had played, I didn't even know it was rare at the time.

I remember picking up and looking at a sealed radient silvergun for saturn back when EB used to sell imports. It was only $40.. I got XmenVS SF for saturn instead... I wish i would have gotten radient silvergun.. but xmen vs sf rocks too.

Bubble Bobble 2...The real one not that rainbow islands crap....at a Funcoland when they used to keep the expensive nes games behind the counter , it was cart only but in great shape and $29.99...brought it after seeing the value of it was almost triple the price but i kept it

@ Henderson, KY Walmart after graduation (so May 2002-ish):

Rhapsody: $20
Lunar 2: $60

same place, earlier this year:
Ikaruga: $18
one copy, which I bought and traded because I already had it and am not that big of a masochist to own TWO Ikarugas, hee hee. :)

-Sailorneorune

[quote name='jer7583']I remember picking up and looking at a sealed radient silvergun for saturn back when EB used to sell imports. It was only $40.. I got XmenVS SF for saturn instead... I wish i would have gotten radient silvergun.. but xmen vs sf rocks too.[/QUOTE]

xmen vs sf is such as great game. you do have to be an ultra street fighter buff to really like it tho.

A couple years ago, I was searching the PS2 rack at the local Best Buy and found 4 copies of Rez all sealed. I couldn't really spring 50 bucks a pop for a game at the time so I passed. Oh well. There's always another day.

It's a great time to be a cheap ass gamer.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']@ Henderson, KY Walmart after graduation (so May 2002-ish):

Rhapsody: $20
Lunar 2: $60

same place, earlier this year:
Ikaruga: $18
one copy, which I bought and traded because I already had it and am not that big of a masochist to own TWO Ikarugas, hee hee. :)

-Sailorneorune[/QUOTE]

I have seen three used Ikarugas at different Gamecrazys, all of them $14.99/$13.49 with GMR discount. I got my fill of the game - I was happy to sell mine to 111111.

Today, I bought two copies of Flatout (PS2) for $29.99 at Best Buy after seeing how crazy the prices are on Amazon. I've already sold one for $59.99 and I expect the other one to move soon as well.

I also got a copy of Virtua Quest (GC) at Toys 'R' Us. It was $39.99, but the game is so rare, even compared to the already low-print PS2 version, that I have no doubts that its value will increase.

World of Warcraft Collector's Edition, sealed in plastic, brand new, with a 50% off red clearance Target sticker on it (this was a few months after the game was released and there was the whole shortage thing)... Nevertheless I hauled a$$ to the checkout and bought it... paid $40 for a game now worth $400+ (since its still sealed)... I've been meaning to get around to playing it, but eh...

In terms of rarity(not value) I would consider Bubble Bobble 2, Team Buddies, and the SNES Miracle Piano Teaching System to be some of my better finds.

When a new large TRU opened somewhat near me I saw probably 15-20 copies of DBZ: Final Bout. At the time I had no clue it would turn out to be rare (and then common, heh) but I did buy one copy and ended up selling it used for like $300 eventually. I also saw ton of Chrono Trigger in another TRU one time and didn't buy any. I think they were marked down too but not to total clearance prices.

Way back before the time of eBay I bought a bunch of RPGs from Funcoland too. Not sure on the rarity of any of them but I bought Traysia, Sorceror's Kingdom, Crusader of Centy, Secret of the Stars and a bunch of others there

[quote name='zackattack']Radiant Silvergun at EB when they were phasing out saturn games. I think it was $30

lol :'([/QUOTE]

Your EB carried imports? o_O

The local mom & pop store had like 6 copies of Intelligent Qube back when it came out. I rented it and liked it, but now enough for me to buy it. I think that they had them for like $15 each. That, and the Nintendo World Championship cart at a local shop that I saw a few years back. They had it for an astronomical price though.

[quote name='drsuper23']The local mom & pop store had like 6 copies of Intelligent Qube back when it came out. I rented it and liked it, but now enough for me to buy it. I think that they had them for like $15 each. That, and the Nintendo World Championship cart at a local shop that I saw a few years back. They had it for an astronomical price though.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo World Championship is one of the rarest games there is, to my knowledge - second only to one or two Neo-Geo AES carts of which there are

Just wondering what you all thought was the rarest game (money wise or just hardest to find) for each of the major systems still in play (im including PS1 since they play on PS2). Here is my opinion on it.

PS2 - Rez?
PS1 - Valk Prof.
Cube - NCAA 2k3 College Basketball
XBOX - Barbie Wild Horse Adventures

Something like that. Do those sound about right? Anyone else going to post what they think?

Or games that are becoming harder and harder to find.

[quote name='schuerm26']Just wondering what you all thought was the rarest game (money wise or just hardest to find) for each of the major systems still in play (im including PS1 since they play on PS2). Here is my opinion on it.

PS2 - Rez?
PS1 - Valk Prof.
Cube - NCAA 2k3 College Basketball
XBOX - Barbie Wild Horse Adventures

Something like that. Do those sound about right? Anyone else going to post what they think?

Or games that are becoming harder and harder to find.[/QUOTE]
Way off and there's already a thread dedicated to this.

GC: NCAA 2K3 is rare because it was quickly discontinued, but there are several games that were printed in even smaller runs, like Virtua Quest, Puyo Pop Fever, Bust-A-Move 3000 (which I've never seen), Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and Disney Sports Basketball.

Xbox: Spikeout: Battlestreet is one of the rarest, because Sega only printed, I think, 3500 copies (of which I own one), but demand is nil right now. Daisenryaku VII is rather uncommon as well, and that one's only $19.99.

PS2: Hard to say. Being the most popular platform, it doesn't have many games that are truly rare, and not merely inflated due to popularity. Colin McRae 3 really is rare, and so are F1 2002 and World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars.

[quote name='62t']there is a differences between hard to find games and games that are in demand.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Going by simply numbers produced, Spikeout: Battlestreet is the rarest current-gen US-released game that I'm aware of. But you can get factory-sealed copies of it for $20 online at the moment. In fact, if you go to Amazon.com, go to buy from Toys 'R' Us and adjust the # of copies in your cart upwards - they seem to have 999 copies.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 for Xbox. I would have brought it, if I had my Xbox with me at that time.

I probably would have found more games, but since I only own a Xbox and GCN (and GBA and DS), I only look for those games when I am in store.

bread's done
Back