Rayman Origins Wii $19.99 GameStop/Best Buy

C'mon guys buy it, it didn't sell so well. Gonna pick up a PS3 copy today, hope it isn't gutted. If so, I hope I can price match.

Beautiful game, excellent soundtrack, and ramps up in difficulty considerably towards the end.

One of the best games of last year, easily.

This is a great game. The coop is really fun. I liked the graphics and music. The hard stuff is all optional. I picked this up for 30 on Black Friday at GS and have played the hell out of it with my two kids. Buy this game. 20 is a great price.

[quote name='Pheee']Can someone fill me in about the gutted copies at Gamestop, seems like people avoid them?[/QUOTE]

Gutted copies are copies of a game that are opened and put on display.

The discs are supposed to be taken out and put into a sleeve and put in a drawer and never to be touched again unless they are sold to a customer. The issues are two fold. One, if it's new it should be sealed, pure and simple, just because it was never played does not make it new, it just makes it Like New. Two, some stores go against company protocol and allow their employees to borrow the new games and then lie to customers saying they were never played.

When I worked at GS we were only allowed to borrow used games that had 2 or more in stock. I am unsure if that is company wide policy or just something my district or manager chose to do.

[quote name='chuckywang']PS3 or 360? Which one is better?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's much of a difference between the two. I guess it would come down to controller preference.

[quote name='TheCro']Is there anything different between the console and VITA versions?[/QUOTE]

The Vita version doesn't have multiplayer co-op, but everything else in the console versions is in it. There's also a Vita-only feature where you can pinch the screen to zoom in/out but it doesn't serve much of a purpose.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How does 7.1 surround sound work in a 2D game?[/QUOTE]

Um is that a serious question? The graphics are 2D not the sound. You are still in a room that can have sounds coming at you from different angles.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Gutted copies are copies of a game that are opened and put on display.

The discs are supposed to be taken out and put into a sleeve and put in a drawer and never to be touched again unless they are sold to a customer. The issues are two fold. One, if it's new it should be sealed, pure and simple, just because it was never played does not make it new, it just makes it Like New. Two, some stores go against company protocol and allow their employees to borrow the new games and then lie to customers saying they were never played.

When I worked at GS we were only allowed to borrow used games that had 2 or more in stock. I am unsure if that is company wide policy or just something my district or manager chose to do.[/QUOTE]

That is supposed to be the policy.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Gutted copies are copies of a game that are opened and put on display.

When I worked at GS we were only allowed to borrow used games that had 2 or more in stock. I am unsure if that is company wide policy or just something my district or manager chose to do.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty crappy if you ask me. That's why it's almost better to price match their sales elsewhere. Why would I pay the new price of a game when I'm receiving a Like New copy?? It doesn't pan out for me. The only time you wouldn't get a gutted copy is if you buy a game on launch or get extremely lucky a find one that's factory sealed. I honestly never bought a like new game from them.

my used games are in better condition than their "new" games. also, no stickers on mine.

on topic: rayman origins is the best game i played in awhile.

I only get gutted copies if there is a sale and can't find else where (and hopefully sealed copies are stocked later and I'll buy and then return the gutted) or if it is a "rare" game.

if anyone can't find a sealed copy (or doesn't want a nasty gutted copy), I have opened/unplayed ps3 copy and few sealed 360 copies (and maybe a wii copy).

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um is that a serious question? The graphics are 2D not the sound. You are still in a room that can have sounds coming at you from different angles.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps "what is the point of surround sound in a 2D game?" would have been a more fitting question. In 3D games sound will come from in left, right, in front of, and behind you. How do they implement it in a 2D game?

[quote name='shivan128']Wow, this game dropped really quickly! Even with good reviews, this game is getting priced to move. Too bad I already have the game though. Great price![/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure it's a Ubisoft title. Those are almost always $20 within a year.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']That's pretty crappy if you ask me. That's why it's almost better to price match their sales elsewhere. Why would I pay the new price of a game when I'm receiving a Like New copy?? It doesn't pan out for me. The only time you wouldn't get a gutted copy is if you buy a game on launch or get extremely lucky a find one that's factory sealed. I honestly never bought a like new game from them.[/QUOTE]

And that's the beauty of a free enterprise economy where people can choose what to buy. If people stopped buying gutted games, the company would actually sell them as used.

By the way, I have said this 300 times already but some used games are brand new, especially with DS and Wii games that don't sell well. They just get converted to used by removing the wrapper. Also old AAA games like Modern Warfare 2 are also sold as used when in reality some are brand new. Of course, nobody praises GameStop when this happens. Remember the "used" PS2 consoles... yeah.

This is automatic termination. If HR had known about this somebody would have been fired (most likely the store manager). I used to work at corporate and can tell you that there is even a termination code in the HR handbook for borrowing games.

[quote name='oasisboy']And that's the beauty of a free enterprise economy where people can choose what to buy. If people stopped buying gutted games, the company would actually sell them as used.

By the way, I have said this 300 times already but some used games are brand new, especially with DS and Wii games that don't sell well. They just get converted to used by removing the wrapper. Also old AAA games like Modern Warfare 2 are also sold as used when in reality some are brand new. Of course, nobody praises GameStop when this happens. Remember the "used" PS2 consoles... yeah.[/QUOTE]

I remember that thread like it was yesterday. When they do stuff like that, the true deal seekers benefit. My friend explained what the PUR did for you, and I responded, "I don't shop there enough to earn points etc." I never knew how bad GameStop was until I read the stories about their horrible CS and their business practices. I remembering pre-ordering GoW 3 from Amazon because it came with a bonus. I could have pre-ordered the game at GS to get it on release date, but I didn't want to deal with them. Want to pre-order this? You can get this cheaper used? Blah blah. I prefer to go to a store; buy a game, and then leave. Why should anyone be pestered with so many questions when they want to buy one game?

Beats me...

[quote name='oasisboy']And that's the beauty of a free enterprise economy where people can choose what to buy. If people stopped buying gutted games, the company would actually sell them as used.

By the way, I have said this 300 times already but some used games are brand new, especially with DS and Wii games that don't sell well. They just get converted to used by removing the wrapper. Also old AAA games like Modern Warfare 2 are also sold as used when in reality some are brand new. Of course, nobody praises GameStop when this happens. Remember the "used" PS2 consoles... yeah.[/QUOTE]

That's cause once you take the shrink wrap off, it's used. So why would they get praised?

Are you saying they are handing over factory sealed copies as used?

[quote name='oasisboy']This is automatic termination. If HR had known about this somebody would have been fired (most likely the store manager). I used to work at corporate and can tell you that there is even a termination code in the HR handbook for borrowing games.[/QUOTE]

Um...if that's the case, why in the handbook does it outline the checkout policy for games? And also, why were there sections dedicated in the monthly store planner to track associate checkouts? They just put those there for no reason?

Gamestop employees can checkout games, but it's usually at the discretion of the DM. We were allowed to checkout new/used until about 6 months ago, when one of the managers in our region got busted for major LP issues. After that, every store in our district we put on a no checkout policy up until about 2 months ago. Now we're allowed used games, but no new games, regardless of the stock.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Perhaps "what is the point of surround sound in a 2D game?" would have been a more fitting question. In 3D games sound will come from in left, right, in front of, and behind you. How do they implement it in a 2D game?[/QUOTE]

Kind of in the same way they do in a 2D movie.

Great price for a great game. I got it for 20 from tru a couple.months ago.

I def had a better time playing co-op than alone, which is the main reason the vita version saddens me. Still fun though

[quote name='chuckywang']PS3 or 360? Which one is better?[/QUOTE]

Well ps3 has the far better d-pad. Other than that it doesn't matter

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um is that a serious question? The graphics are 2D not the sound. You are still in a room that can have sounds coming at you from different angles.[/QUOTE]

Ok, but what's the source? In stereo, someone shoots at you from the right, you'll hear it on the right. If your guy gets hit by the bullet, you'll hear him whine on the left. If the environment is two dimensional, what are the sounds coming from the front, back, back right corner, etc?

Just because the platformer is in 2d doesn't mean you can't have lums squeak from your front right, your front left, your back right...

[quote name='Decker']Kind of in the same way they do in a 2D movie.[/QUOTE]
2D movies depict characters in a 3d environment like the stampede scene in Lion King.

If people weren't in such a hurry to be condescending maybe we could get some real answers. Does this game use surround for ambient jungle sounds, are there sequences where stuff flies toward or away from the screen, does it only come into play during video sequences, etc.

Idk if it's 7.1 surround sound, but it's a fun a game. I don't see the point of your question, I mean if you believe that a 2D game is incapable of having 7.1 surround sound then why wouldn't you be happy with 5.1 if you believe that is the best available? Or better yet you could just download the demo that is available on PSN and Xbox Live.

[quote name='Psychonik']Idk if it's 7.1 surround sound, but it's a fun a game. I don't see the point of your question, I mean if you believe that a 2D game is incapable of having 7.1 surround sound then why wouldn't you be happy with 5.1 if you believe that is the best available? Or better yet you could just download the demo that is available on PSN and Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]
At what point did I imply I wouldn't be happy with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?

[/QUOTE]Website registers $30 for PS3 and 360. Is it over then?[/QUOTE]

Must have did it recently. I checked earlier. Edited. Thanks!

[quote name='jamehze']Website registers $30 for PS3 and 360. Is it over then?[/QUOTE]

Must have changed recently. I checked earlier. Edited. Thanks!

Ughh I wanted to pick it up today since it's only been a few days. I was thinking it would last at least a week. Was hoping there was some glitch.

bread's done
Back