Rd 20: Zero Calorie trivia - win a DEW code!

joshingit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
246 (100%)
Since I can't win; I'm giving them away... First CAG to post the correct answer to the trivia question will be pm'd ONE Dew / Pepsi code. Trivia questions will be posted once a day at random times. I need fellow CAGs to pick their brains too, if I use your question and it goes unanswered for 24 hours, you'll receive the code.
Good luck smart asses!
Note: Most (99%) questions only have ONE answer; if there's another and is deemed correct another dew code will given i.e # 5.

# 20 - the internet is your friend.

Name any 7 (newsworthy good or bad) men who famously switched careers )(possibly mulitple times or just once) midstream. State their past and current careers.

# 15

Name the top (leading) four online reference sites used in 2003. In order from most to least used.

# 9 - I hate math...so today's is worth 2 codes. *Now worth 3 codes*

How many (more or fewer) possibilities does a typical mechanical lock have versus a combo lock? Closest noted estimation wins. Don't forget to show your work. ;)

*Hint: typical mechnical locks - used on vaults, masterlocks.... combo lock - they're usually 6 digits ranging from 0 - 9 + the # key.

:applause: Past Trivia and Winners:applause:

# 19 - winner djak1
Last seaon due to an oversight by the props master and directors, the set of 24 received an obscene amount of phone calls. Name who's (character) ringing phone and number which lead to this floodgate of chatter.

A: Phone number - 310-597-3781. It belonged to a minor character named "Debbie."

#18 - winner djak1
In a recent study it's estimated that everyday 'x' children skip school or pretend to be sick because of what? Find 'x' and state the problem.

A: 160,000 - bullying

# 17 - winner XxFuRy2Xx

Name the "lethal seven" most common bacterial and viral agents used in bioterror.

A:Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever | Nairovirus
Anthrax | Bacillus anthracis
Botulism | Clostridium botulinum
Glanders | Burkholderia mallei
Ebola | Filoviridae ebolavirus
Smallpox | Variola major
Typhoid fever | Salmonella typhi

# 16 - winner Lew Zealand
Name the 2004 -2005 television show and the digits that encouraged viewers to call to talk to cast and crew.

A: Scrubs, 1-916-CALL-TURK

# 14 - winner ajh2298
What inspired Salvador Dali to put the 'melting' watches in his celebrated 1931 painting, The Persistence of Memory?

A: In this picture the remains and super-softness of a Camembert cheese he saw after dinner when he stayed at home with migraine inspired him to paint the extraordinary soft watches

# 13 - winner RandomNPC
What (item) was banned from some US schools in the 1950's because it was thought to be (mean) rebellious / rebellion? Be very specific.

A: Levi's DENIM jeans

# 12 - winner ajh2298
Name the 5 approaches used to define the conceptualiztions of deviance.

A: 1. Absolutist Approach
2. Legalistic Approach
3. Reactive Approach
4. Group Evaluation Approach
5. A Synthetic Approach

# 11 - winner Mike Romano
Name the two most popular posthumous pop artists ever. Include the album title too.

A: Notorious B.I.G : Life after Death - 10 million
Tupac Shakur: 2Pac's Greatest Hits - 9 million

# 10 -winner djak1
Name three of the five former Air Force bases that were under investigation for possible buried radiological waste in 2003.

A: March Air Force Base in Riverside, CA;
Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth, NH;
Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, TX.

# 8 - winner Autumn star
12 year old females can legally marry (pending approval from a judge and the parents consent) in which TWO states?

A: KS and MA

# 7 - winner YoshiFan1
Name the piece of food made up entirely of seeds?

A: Strawberries

# 6 – winner Twiztidgear
Name the company and the product first to use a pink bunny in their ads.

A: Duracell battery, 1974- they were the first battery maker to advertise on TV. Ad featured pink bunnies with snare drums. 1989 - DDB Needham’s Energizer bunny campaign marched on to TV. (which is now considered one of the top 5 ad icons in the 20th century….)

# 5 – winners Mietha and Maddfrog
While in the Marines Lee Harvey Oswald was given 3 nicknames. Name em.

A: Ozzie Rabbit – popular cartoon character.

Oswaldskovich – leftist learning and obsession with the Russian language

Shitbird – for his poor marksmanship

# 4- winner Eurenix
In 2003 the CIA solicited a celebrity to appear in their recruiting video. The CIA film industry liaison claiming, “his/her participation would add a human touch”. Who was it?

A: Alias Star Jennifer Garner

# 3 – winner TripleH13
What are the names of the Original fab 5 for Queer Eye?

A: Blair Boone, Carson Kressley, Kyan Douglas, Ted Allen and Thom Filicia

# 2 – winner djak1
In 2003, China banned the commercials of 3 types of products, stating “(they) were likely to disgust audiences” during meal times. Name the 3 types of products.

A: Hemorrhoid medicine, athlete’s-foot ointments and feminine-hygiene products (sanitary napkins)

# 1 – winner Astinus
Who was the FBI deputy directory from 1999 – 2001?

A: Thomas J Pickard who later that year became the FBI acting director.

[quote name='Autumn Star']Massachusets and Kansas[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was going to say...

Massachusets and Kansas have marriage laws allowing 12 year old girls to marry with parental consent. The boys I think had to be 14 in one state, but I'm not sure about the other one.

# 8

12 year old females can legally marry (pending approval from a judge and the parents consent) in which TWO states?

[quote name='Autumn Star']Massachusets and Kansas[/QUOTE]

Guess what this is a trick question because if you actually look at the marriage laws of each state Mississippi doesn't actually have a minimum age limit (with parents consent) on when you can get married there it just a minimum age without consent. So this question should have been which three. But in the context of the question Autumn Star won this round.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Marriage.htm
Link to the info that I am getting this from.

[quote name='uzumaki_star']# 8

Guess what this is a trick question because if you actually look at the marriage laws of each state Mississippi doesn't actually have a minimum age limit (with parents consent) on when you can get married there it just a minimum age without consent. So this question should have been which three. But in the context of the question Autumn Star won this round.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/Table_Marriage.htm
Link to the info that I am getting this from.[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice trick question. I think I found that exact same chartm but I didn't read over it enough. Anywho congrats Autumn Star.

Anymore questions coming?

Actually I was thinking, and you did say TWO states that allowed females to marry at 12 or older, and I gave you 2, so that can't be a trick question, you would have had to re-word it a different way. So technially we both are correct. If you wanted three states, you should have said 3. But you said 2, and I gave you 2.

If by mechanical u mean computerized with standard 0-9 keys then it would be:
10^10= 1,000,000,000?
If you mean like a key and a keyhole, I guess it would depend on how good you are at picking locks.

If you mean a combo lock with like 10 numbers then it would be:
10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1=3,628,800?

Originally Posted by uzumaki_star
# 8

Kentucky and Tennessee

Mechanical Lock= 100x100x100=1,000,000
Combo Lock= 10x10x10x10x10x10=1,000,000

Same number of combinations for both.

For a question:

1. Who was the original bass player for Metallica
2. What are 6 Mopar High Impact Colors?

[quote name='Mike Romano']
For a question:

1. Who was the original bass player for Metallica
2. What are 6 Mopar High Impact Colors?[/QUOTE]

1. Cliff Burton
2. Plum Crazy, Bright Green, Sublime, Go Green, Go Mango, Top Banana

#9 -

Mechanical Lock - 64,000 Combinations
Combination Lock - 1,000,000 Combinations

So, the Mechanical Lock has 936,000 less combinations.

#10 -

March Air Force Base in Riverside, CA;
Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, TX.

Guys, you're forgetting the # key. 0-9 + # would give you 11 buttons. and usually, if you're thinking of a phone type pad, it should also have a * key meaning it would have 12 buttons. Anyways, I'll just go with what joshingit said in his question which is 0-9 and the # key. That's 11 buttons (ten numbers + pound).

Assuming the code is six digits long and that you can use the same digit more then once (i.e. 111125 could be a code and so could ######, etc.), then you have 11 choices for the first digit, 11 for the second, 11 for the third, and so on. So:

There are 11^6 possible 6-digit combinations. That's 1,771,561 possibilities for the "combo" pad.

The question about the "mechanical" padlock is actually a little ambiguous since some padlocks have a different amount of numbers on them, but most padlocks that you can buy at the store have 40 different numbers on them (0-39) and the combination is made up of three of those numbers. I've seen padlcoks that have more numbers and less numbers and different amounts of turns required to unlock, but I'll assume that we're talking about a padlock with the numbers 0-39 and it requires different numbers to unlock, because that's the most common. I'm pretty sure that the same number is never used twice in these combinatins because of the way the locks physically work. For instance, if the combination was 23-23-23, then it would only be necessary to to turn the dial clockwise twice, and then stop on 23. I've never seen a padlock with duplicate numbers in the combination, so I'll assume that you can't use the same number twice.

So, there are 40 choices for the first number, 39, for the second, and 38 for the third.

That's 40*39*38 = 59,280 possible combinations for the typical mechanical padlock.

So 1,771,561 - 59,280 = 1,712,281

So the "combo" lock has about 1.7 million more possible combinations than the mechanical padlock. Even if you assumed that the padlock combination could have duplicate numbers, the estimation would still be accurate. If the "combo" lock keypad also had an asterisk (*) key, then it would have even more possible combinations.

Guys, you're forgetting the # key. 0-9 + # would give you 11 buttons. and usually, if you're thinking of a phone type pad, it should also have a * key meaning it would have 12 buttons. Anyways, I'll just go with what joshingit said in his question which is 0-9 and the # key. That's 11 buttons (ten numbers + pound).

Assuming the code is six digits long and that you can use the same digit more then once (i.e. 111125 could be a code and so could ######, etc.), then you have 11 choices for the first digit, 11 for the second, 11 for the third, and so on. So:

There are 11^6 possible 6-digit combinations. That's 1,771,561 possibilities for the "combo" pad.

The question about the "mechanical" padlock is actually a little ambiguous since some padlocks have a different amount of numbers on them, but most padlocks that you can buy at the store have 40 different numbers on them (0-39) and the combination is made up of three of those numbers. I've seen padlcoks that have more numbers and less numbers and different amounts of turns required to unlock, but I'll assume that we're talking about a padlock with the numbers 0-39 and it requires three different numbers to unlock, because that's the most common. I'm pretty sure that the same number is never used twice in these combinatins because of the way the locks physically work. For instance, if the combination was 23-23-23, then it would only be necessary to to turn the dial clockwise twice, and then stop on 23. I've never seen a padlock with duplicate numbers in the combination, so I'll assume that you can't use the same number twice.

So, there are 40 choices for the first number, 39, for the second, and 38 for the third.

That's 40*39*38 = 59,280 possible combinations for the typical mechanical padlock.

So 1,771,561 - 59,280 = 1,712,281

So the "combo" lock has about 1.7 million more possible combinations than the mechanical padlock. Even if you assumed that the padlock combination could have duplicate numbers, the estimation would still be accurate. If the "combo" lock keypad also had an asterisk (*) key, then it would have even more possible combinations.

[quote name='djak1']#9 -
#10 -

March Air Force Base in Riverside, CA;
Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, TX.[/QUOTE]

You have a PM!

# 11 is up.

# 9 is still a problem.....

Mechanical Lock: 40 ^ 3 = 64,000 possible combinations (MasterLock)
Combo Lock: 11 ^ 6 = 1,771,561 possible combinations (0-9 and '#' = 11 digits)

The Mechanical Lock has 1,707,561 fewer possible combinations than the Combo Lock.

9. master lock - 40 number possibities - 40 x 39 x 39 = 60840

combo lock = 11P6 = 1771561

combo - master = 1710721

(edit: changed #9 answer; this has to be it)

11. Tupac Shakur and Notorious BIG

Notorious B.I.G.
Had 2 #1s after his Deatch
Mo Money Mo Problems and Hypnotize
Life after Death

But you said 2 Airtist I think 2pac all eyez on me?

Edit
I guess Mike Romano got to it first

[quote name='abcme']1.
Artist: Britney Spears
Album: I'm fat

Artist: Christina Aguilera
Album: I'm slutty[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Mike Romano you have you a PM!

# 12 is up!

# 9 is still not solved....going to make it worth 4 codes soon.

1. Absolutist Approach
2. Legalistic Approach
3. Reactive Approach
5. A Synthetic Approach

[quote name='ajh2298']1. Absolutist Approach
2. Legalistic Approach
3. Reactive Approach
5. A Synthetic Approach[/QUOTE]

PM'ing you now.

# 13 is up.

# 9 is still a mystery. [jPoD15 was the closet to the correct answer.]

14. In this picture the remains and super-softness of a Camembert cheese he saw after dinner when he stayed at home with migraine inspired him to paint the extraordinary soft watches

13. Levi's Jeans

bread's done
Back