Real Time with Bill Maher: Weekly discussion and pot session

[quote name='cancerman1120']Christine O'donnell was Bill's first guest tonight. I am pretty sure not one word she spoke was 100% true. Same old tired lies and twisting of facts. She was trying to say that for every 1 job we have been gaining we "actually" have been losing 4 jobs because those people are just going on welfare. So according to her logic last month 400,000 people went on welfare? I am also getting tired of the whole under Obama the debt has increased more than from George Washington to Reagan combined. Then she takes no blame for Bush creating Medicare Part D and the 2 wars. The standard answer of you can't keep blaming Bush basically is saying he should end both wars and pay for Medicare Part D by raising taxes which almost every conservative would shit a brick about. I am so glad she lost.[/QUOTE]

Next time someone says that, let them know that the same thing happened under Reagan and 43's presidencies.

I have to disagree with Maher about something, that Eastwood killed it at the RNC. The truth of that matter is that they were going to hang on his every word anyway, they weren't going to boo Eastwood at the RNC. If he'd done that same thing at a comedy club there would have been nothing.

It was an ok episode, but I thought it was a great gesture of Maher to apologize for trying to bully O'Donnell into being a panelist. David Simon was great though.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Next time someone says that, let them know that the same thing happened under Reagan and 43's presidencies.[/QUOTE]

Then it might help to point out that since Reagan we've had 20 years worth of Republican presidents (Reagan=8, Bush 1=4, Bush 2=8) and only 12 years worth of Democrat Presidents (Clinton=8, Obama=4), one of which actually had the budget balanced briefly...

So which party was it that's all about fiscal responsibility again?

The idea that republicans are fiscally responsible is an example of taking a misnomer and running like hell with it.

Yeah she's a doofus but I think Christine O'Donell is at least well meaning and genuine. Plus, really hot shoes...

David Simon pointed out that our "news media" has really been dumbed down in the last 25 years or so. This is wholly true. Sadly no one bothered to come up with ideas of how to fix that.

Steve Schmidt also came off very well as a good natured fella who is only on the GOP side for the paycheck. Either that or he's completely bored with the GOP platform and will knock them until someone else hires him.
What's funny is that when Bill has "decent" GOPers come on, they're actually nice people. Hell, Grover Norquist was borderline likeable when he was on a while ago. Then you get that tall, bald guy that was on a few weeks back (tan jacket and pink shirt, can't remember his name and I'll racistly say that it sounded Indian) that was a complete dick and just spoke over everyone...

I know David Simon was basically only on because the new season of treme is about to start (or has) but he was actually really good.

[quote name='nasum']Yeah she's a doofus but I think Christine O'Donell is at least well meaning and genuine. Plus, really hot shoes...

David Simon pointed out that our "news media" has really been dumbed down in the last 25 years or so. This is wholly true. Sadly no one bothered to come up with ideas of how to fix that.

Steve Schmidt also came off very well as a good natured fella who is only on the GOP side for the paycheck. Either that or he's completely bored with the GOP platform and will knock them until someone else hires him.
What's funny is that when Bill has "decent" GOPers come on, they're actually nice people. Hell, Grover Norquist was borderline likeable when he was on a while ago. Then you get that tall, bald guy that was on a few weeks back (tan jacket and pink shirt, can't remember his name and I'll racistly say that it sounded Indian) that was a complete dick and just spoke over everyone...[/QUOTE]
reiham salem? He always acts like that. Ron Christie is one of the bigger dicks that comes on his show. The funny thing is that he's probably the most calm too, he comes off as a smug prick.

one of my favorite moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt5L-aA8a_E

Pretty good episode last night. Jarecki was great and did an awesome job of simplifying the racial component of the Drug War without dumbing it down. Chris Matthews was completely owning Roger Hedgecock the entire time. I'm actually really surprised about Matthews on race considering his statement about forgetting Obama was black. Salman Rushdie started losing me when he was talking about Islamic fundamentalism and anti-Islamic bigotry, but won me back a tiny bit when he started talking about the politicalization of Islam and how it's a tool of those in power. He even talked about how modern the Middle East was when he was growing up. Too bad that he neglected to mention how US involvement was one of the main reasons for that fundamentalism though.

I agree. The iPhone and Romni parts were funny, and the panel kept things interesting, too. I definitely felt pieces of the puzzle missing when some of them were talking about how Islam is legitimately worse as a religion because it breeds a violent reactionary mindset. They really needed to hone in on the repressive cultural and political influences, internal and external, that keep it that way. Oh right, and the 'undecided voter' monologue at the end was fun.

Watching this week's episode was the first time I've listened to Ann Coulter. *shudder*

"Thanks to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, racism is dead! There are now more child molesters than racists of any form. In fact, there are no more racists!"

"No, wait! I've got a better one. You liberals are the racists. I win!"

That woman is like a walking concentration of evil and hatred. I'd imagine that standing next to her would make most people feel dirty.

^ You forgot stupid.
I just love the way she scoffs at everything like machine-gun fire. Her reactions are comical.
I want to buy her a monocle to fall in her champagne flute every time she's asked a question.
Seriously that whole Snagglepuss "Heavens to Mergatroid" act is tiresome

Did Bill say ACA was Bob Doles idea, or did he whip it out?

I feel bad agreeing with the "there are some people we think shouldn't be able to vote" bit. For me, it's anyone on either side of the political spectrum that actually thinks there's such a thing as free cell phones from Obama.

[quote name='ID2006']Watching this week's episode was the first time I've listened to Ann Coulter. *shudder*

"Thanks to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, racism is dead! There are now more child molesters than racists of any form. In fact, there are no more racists!"

"No, wait! I've got a better one. You liberals are the racists. I win!"[/QUOTE]
LOLZ...I thought this was a joke.

Gotta admit, she has a GREAT plastic surgeon.

makeup helps too. Her arms and back are very pale and freckled yet her face is tan and spot free. Concealer is only skin deep...

[quote name='nasum']makeup helps too. Her arms and back are very pale and freckled yet her face is tan and spot free. Concealer is only skin deep...[/QUOTE]
Botox and collagen helps too.:lol:

exactly. She's floating so far away from the reality of the program that she doesn't even understand it. Same thing for any goon on the far right who is mad that this lady got a free phone from Obama. You can not like her for being so misinformed, but you can't be mad that the president gave her a free phone because that's simply untrue.

[quote name='nasum']exactly. She's floating so far away from the reality of the program that she doesn't even understand it. Same thing for any goon on the far right who is mad that this lady got a free phone from Obama. You can not like her for being so misinformed, but you can't be mad that the president gave her a free phone because that's simply untrue.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. The person behind the camera comes off to me as one of those on the far right and the one in front of the camera the far left. Both are equally wrong and far away from reality. The whole "obama" phone is ridiculous at best. As you said it is simply untrue.

[quote name='nasum']Terrible episode, bunch of shouting with little to no information.[/QUOTE]

I mostly blame it on the two honey-smoked hams in the three-piece suits who showed up this week.

I agree. I did like Matt Taibbi and the Gary Hirshberg segment.
My favorite part was when they we're discussing Voter Id Laws. Did I hear John Fund right"A White kid (James O'Keefe) with an earing that couldn't dance" Attempted to be Eric Holder?
Not racist at all.

I don't know, I actually thought it was pretty good from an entertainment standpoint at least. We saw two blustering idiots, one looking like a mob captain, completely refuting factual information. I thought it was the best example of the conservative mind I've seen in a while.

Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. The cons were smarmy as hell while trying to dominate the entire show, the msnbc correspondent wasn't as prepared with her facts as she should've been, and Taibbi was kinda worthless, but at least he finally cut his comb-over off. I also found it odd that Maher plugged Taibbi's book as being new when it was published in 2010. I have a copy of it on my bookshelf and I still haven't cracked it open yet...lolz

[quote name='Purple Flames']I mostly blame it on the two honey-smoked hams in the three-piece suits who showed up this week.[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to lie, the Russian dude's suit was very tailored and looked great on him. Still a smarmy motherfucker though.:D

He's the one i thought looked like a capo. He even acted like it, like he'd walked off the set of Sopranos.

Was thinking the same things. It was probably the worst episode I've seen yet. Bill faded into the background while everyone else decided to talk at the same time, and Goldie definitely seemed over zealous and lacking in actual facts. The other two decided to play "Hold the Line" when discussing the Libyan incident and voter fraud, even over something as stupid as the meaning of what Candy said after the debate.

Even the jokes weren't so great. :whistle2:#

[quote name='dohdough']Yeah, it was a bit of a mess. The cons were smarmy as hell while trying to dominate the entire show, the msnbc correspondent wasn't as prepared with her facts as she should've been, and Taibbi was kinda worthless, but at least he finally cut his comb-over off. I also found it odd that Maher plugged Taibbi's book as being new when it was published in 2010. I have a copy of it on my bookshelf and I still haven't cracked it open yet...lolz

I'm not going to lie, the Russian dude's suit was very tailored and looked great on him. Still a smarmy motherfucker though.:D[/QUOTE]

I read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. His other book on culture was fairly interesting as well.

That said, I agree with you guys. I turned it off like 15 minutes in. The MSNBC lady was terrible and should never be invited back.

It really bothered me when they were talking about voter registration fraud and comparing to ACORN when the two incidents are absolutely nothing alike in intent, execution, or purpose. On one hand, you have a guy that threw a bunch of legitimate registrations in the trash which disenfranchises all those voters and on the other, you have a few people that are padding their registration numbers for more pay by registering Mickey Mouse a couple hundred times which disenfranchises no one.

Another thing that I knew was bullshit was when the cons said that there was a case in which there was a literal conspiracy to get 100,000 people to fraudulently vote. Something that explosive would make ACORN look like a snap cap in comparison and it'd be all over the news. Not to mention the whole 2 million dead people on the registration rolls bullshit as if 2 million people could be mobilized to take advantage of that. I mean c'mon, they were using that canard from Kennedy. It's simply ridiculous and easily verifiable.

The thing that pissed me off the most was when they brought up that shitbag O'Keefe as if posing as Eric Holder in name only really proves anything muchless how "rampant" it is.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I read it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. His other book on culture was fairly interesting as well.

That said, I agree with you guys. I turned it off like 15 minutes in. The MSNBC lady was terrible and should never be invited back.[/QUOTE]
I'm planning to read his earlier books/collected publications first. I like his biting style, so we'll see how that goes.

But yeah, she was terrible. I mean she obviously has the passion, but none of the knowledge to back it up or at least, not nearly enough of it. When she was muttering "that's your privilege talking" under her breath, she had a strong point, but not able to follow through. The cons knew it too and took advantage of that.

What I've never understood is how showing and ID to vote will get dead people off the list of registered voters. Perhaps instead of new laws that would prohibit otherwise eligible voters, efforts could be made to keep currently registered voters accurate? Has the same outcome if you aren't lying about your intent with the ID law...

dohdough;10074459 I'm planning to read his earlier books/collected publications first. I like his biting style said:
The Great Derangement was a fun read and does a good job of showing off some of the odd elements of American culture. I haven't read his other works.

I think he was plugging Taibbi's Bain column, which was very intriguing.

I did read Griftopia, which I highly recommend. Makes me want to read his other stuff if possible.

Decent episode this week. Lazio was a talking point machine, Hoover rode the right of center line, and Reiner was a bit talky pointy as well, but Balog was good and Segal was on fucking fire, which redeemed the episode for me. Segal was shooting down bullshit like it was his sole reason for living. Not only that, but the level of nuance he brought into his arguments while keeping it simple was something that's been sorely lacking on the show lately. This kid is on point.

I believe in the episode they made a comparison of Obama to Reagan, saying something like Obama inherited this recession but Reagan dealt with inflation.

Can someone clarify what they meant by that? Was the inflation breaking the economy or something?

Yeah, I was sort of sleeping most of the time other than when the young guy was on.

The funny thing is that most republicans I know are like that lady where they've started walking upright on many social issues. Too bad it'll be nearly 25 years before any of those people will get elected...

[quote name='ID2006']I believe in the episode they made a comparison of Obama to Reagan, saying something like Obama inherited this recession but Reagan dealt with inflation.

Can someone clarify what they meant by that? Was the inflation breaking the economy or something?[/QUOTE]

(Stagflation) In the seventies is the justification for all things Reaganomics. Under Carter OPEC spiked prices , the Carter administration declined to raise interest rates , the value of the dollar plummeted. Stagnant Economy + Inflation = Stagflation. Which then all leads to trickle-down / supply side Reaganomics. The "shock therapy" to an economy. Expand the economy,Increase spending, raise the debt, watch unemployment rise: see inflation decline

Only a couple minutes into the panel but jesus god I would fuck that woman so hard her legs would break. A few minutes later I'd probably blow Sullivan because that guy rules.

Just wait until you get to the part where everyone is shouting over one another and Cupp goes into the bubble. She didn't always act so dumb though. Still thought it was a good episode...

Oh and Cupp always looks good on the show.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like James Carville, and I like Samuel Jackson, but this episode was kind of boring. It felt like everyone was just fighting over cold leftovers and scraps from the election season – not much else to talk about I guess.

Also, S.E. Cupp was even more annoying than the last time, and Andrew Sullivan talks too much.

Edit: Cupp: "Obama makes Bush look like a Quaker." :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cupp annoys the hell outta me. She sounds like some recent graduate from a conservative college. At least she's hotter than Ann Coulter I guess.

[quote name='Clak']Cupp annoys the hell outta me. She sounds like some recent graduate from a conservative college. At least she's hotter than Ann Coulter I guess.[/QUOTE]
I wonder how soon before she gets on the same crazy train.

Something about people using their first two initials kinda annoys me too. It's one thing for say,. T. S. Elliot, but come on folks. It's just comes off as a little pretentious to me.

[quote name='Jodou']A girl like that is wild in bed.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Cupp may be waaaaay hotter the Coulter.....but that chick has some shit pent up that I bet she lets out in bed. Either way, to steal a line from Nasum id fuck either of them till I broke their legs! Then skip the blowjob to Andrew Sullivan, yeah dude rocks...but not enough for me to take a wang.

Edit - And I agree with the consensus that it was a pretty damn lame show with just talking points.

Hey stranger! Welcome back!

By no means is Cupp an ugly woman, but it just goes to show you how much a stylist can help you look. In this case, the "hot nerd" look.

As for the Sullivan-love talk, it wasn't that long ago that he was shilling for Republicans. Irony is now, he sounds like a goddamn Democrat, albeit a conservative one...not that I have a problem with this, but I'm starting to see how contrived this show is. I still enjoy seeing conservative talking points and lunacy shot down though.

[quote name='dohdough']Hey stranger! Welcome back!

By no means is Cupp an ugly woman, but it just goes to show you how much a stylist can help you look. In this case, the "hot nerd" look.

As for the Sullivan-love talk, it wasn't that long ago that he was shilling for Republicans. Irony is now, he sounds like a goddamn Democrat, albeit a conservative one...not that I have a problem with this, but I'm starting to see how contrived this show is. I still enjoy seeing conservative talking points and lunacy shot down though.[/QUOTE]

Heh dont welcome me back yet. I dont think my blood pressure can handle coming back permanently to the politics board.

Thing with Sullivan is that I dont agree with everything he says, I dont even think I agree with most of it. But even though I still primarily see him as on the opposite side of the fence from me on many major issues, I can still respect what he has to say and how he says it.

Also just finished watching over time! You can sign me up for the "green" party. I was always for legalization because it just makes sense, however now that I got a vaporizer and started using the shit myself, I REALLY REALLY cant understand it being illegal. There are down sides and it can have some negative effects, but the positives to society far outweigh the negatives, especially if people start say fuck combustion.

bread's done
Back