Record of Agarest War Naughty Edition for Xbox 360 - $56.57 (price drop)

[quote name='robpe36']Somehow this game is only rated T and not AO?[/QUOTE]

The whole marketing campaign is built around making the game out to be something it's not. When you play the game, you're gonna get an S-RPG, not an H-game.

[quote name='mitnosi']What happened to buying games to enjoy them and not hoping they would become rare and valuable? :([/QUOTE]

well after seeing current 'selling' prices for Bioshock and Mass Effect LE's (well into $300-$500) I think that is everyone's hope...It is really hard to tell w/ the market. You have thousands of Bioshock 2 LEs & CoD:MW2 PEs sitting in all retail stores, yet, you will not find a single copy of GoW3 UE or ME2 CE, with those selling out pretty much the first week. I think we all hope that if we're going to get the CE of a game, and may or may not open it, that the value will only go up.

I would be (kinda am) so bitter about my Bioshock 2 LEs b/c I thought that was a sure thing. But since I got both the PS3 and 360 for $100 out of pocket, I don't feel that bad..

[quote name='mitnosi']what happened to buying games to enjoy them and not hoping they would become rare and valuable? :([/quote]

qfe.

[quote name='token2k6']well after seeing current 'selling' prices for Bioshock and Mass Effect LE's (well into $300-$500) I think that is everyone's hope...It is really hard to tell w/ the market. You have thousands of Bioshock 2 LEs & CoD:MW2 PEs sitting in all retail stores, yet, you will not find a single copy of GoW3 UE or ME2 CE, with those selling out pretty much the first week. I think we all hope that if we're going to get the CE of a game, and may or may not open it, that the value will only go up.

I would be (kinda am) so bitter about my Bioshock 2 LEs b/c I thought that was a sure thing. But since I got both the PS3 and 360 for $100 out of pocket, I don't feel that bad..[/QUOTE]

I actually don't think that's what most of us hope for. I buy games to enjoy them and I also collect them. I could care less if a game goes up in value or down. For every Bioshock CE, there are dozens of Bioshock 2 and COD MW2 Prestiges out there. You're better off just buying what you want to play and even if you have to pay a premium down the road for a CE, it's better than wasting money speculating on what will go up in value. Heck, even if you pay a couple hundred for Bioshock, the hundreds of dollars you will save on waiting for price drops on other games is more than worth it.

Well mine got delayed a day because: My address was missing the apartment number. So the UPS guy didn't want to ring one of the doorbells at my house. I have never had a problem when I forget to put my apartment number.(We have 3 floors at our house and it's a family house, so my extended family can sign for our stuff. Maybe it's a new guy at UPS. If it was the same guy all the time, he should know me by now.

This is worse than a train derailment!

Got mine today finally. I just happened to be out in the hall when the UPS guy arrived, and heard him complaining to someone that he didn't know where to go because when he'd tried to use the call box to make his deliveries yesterday, no one had answered. Yeah, that's what happens when you don't show up to a business until well after normal business hours, dumbass.

Anyway, the box does bulge very slightly because of the way the mouse pad is stuck into it, but other than that it's in pretty much perfect condition.

What I'm wondering is this -- I'm probably going to just store everything other than the game itself in the box. However, I'm concerned about the way that the mouse pad has to be bent to fit into it. Is that going to be a problem as the rubber and the gel age? I'd hate to open it in a few years only to find that the bend in the mouse pad has become permanent or something like that.

They really need to make their LE boxes large enough to hold the items inside without having to bend them. I mean, they know we're buying them as collector's items, so why would they expect us to be ok with packaging them so roughly?

Hey kanedags - I take it from your previous posts that you actually work for Aksys? Are you taking any notes on our comments about this stuff and passing them on to the appropriate people there? While there's not much to be done for this one at this point, it is definitely info they could use in planning for future LEs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Hey kanedags - I take it from your previous posts that you actually work for Aksys? Are you taking any notes on our comments about this stuff and passing them on to the appropriate people there? While there's not much to be done for this one at this point, it is definitely info they could use in planning for future LEs.[/QUOTE]

We're taking notes for sure, but let me give you a little insight into the whole LE business thing. As you can tell the box is pretty hefty, both in size and weight, certainly much larger and heavier than a regular box...AND most importantly waaaay more expensive to ship. Sure we could have put it in a big metal box or used a heavier stock of cardboard, but that would in turn increase our cost in producing it. In order to bring the game to you at the rock bottom price of $59.99 (The price of what you would pay for a no-frills regular edition) we had to make compromises. (Yes, I battle with my boss with this on the daily because I, like you, like to see high-quality goodies. So, I have to go okay I'd rather see a mouse pad AND a pillowcase as opposed to just a mouse pad and a fancy box.) This is just one of many factors that go into creating these crazy LEs, but we do it because we're fans too and we want to give you, the fans something special. At the same time, we've got kids to feed and mortgages to pay too, so we can't just give everything away. That said, sorry about the long post and hope you guys are enjoying the game!

Eh, the quality of the box isn't so much my issue (though I know others have mentioned it), my big thing is the size. A slightly longer and higher box would have allowed the mouse pad to fit without having to bend it. To make up for that a bit, if the mouse pad didn't have to bend, the box wouldn't have to be nearly as wide to accommodate it (and, as a bonus, it wouldn't have had the pressure that the bent mouse pad is putting on it making it bulge). Overall, I'm a lot more concerned about the contents of the box than the box itself.

Heh, at least we know that won't be an issue with Deathsmiles since you can't bend a faceplate (can you? maybe we'll find out! :shock:).

All that being said, thanks for the effort you guys put into these extras. Even though I have little practical use for a boobie mouse pad or a pillow cover, they definitely make the difference between me buying the game now at release versus just picking it up at some indefinite time down the road.

[quote name='arcane93']
Heh, at least we know that won't be an issue with Deathsmiles since you can't bend a faceplate (can you? maybe we'll find out! :shock:).
[/QUOTE]
As long as it's bend, but don't break. Though I'm not sure if you want a crease in your faceplate either.

[quote name='kanedags']We're taking notes for sure, but let me give you a little insight into the whole LE business thing. As you can tell the box is pretty hefty, both in size and weight, certainly much larger and heavier than a regular box...AND most importantly waaaay more expensive to ship. Sure we could have put it in a big metal box or used a heavier stock of cardboard, but that would in turn increase our cost in producing it. In order to bring the game to you at the rock bottom price of $59.99 (The price of what you would pay for a no-frills regular edition) we had to make compromises. (Yes, I battle with my boss with this on the daily because I, like you, like to see high-quality goodies. So, I have to go okay I'd rather see a mouse pad AND a pillowcase as opposed to just a mouse pad and a fancy box.) This is just one of many factors that go into creating these crazy LEs, but we do it because we're fans too and we want to give you, the fans something special. At the same time, we've got kids to feed and mortgages to pay too, so we can't just give everything away. That said, sorry about the long post and hope you guys are enjoying the game![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the very clear and honest answer!

You definitely can't make everyone happy every time, but your efforts are greatly appreciated. Your LE releases are very unique and very cool, and to be honest, they are they are the reason I have bought your games even though I'm not even sure when I'll get around to playing them.

I also like your approach of rewarding early buyers of the initial release with the LE extras at the same (or near the same) price of a standard game without the extras is also very cool. If you took the same approach as other companies where you had both the standard and LE versions while charing $20+ more for the LE versions, it is quite possible I wouldn't have bought either version.

Given the choice between a stronger/heavier box or more bonus items, I'll choose the bonus items. And given the choice between a weaker box that might get some creases or a higher price, I'll choose the weaker box.

I know that some people may be buying your LE releases as "collector items" for possible resale (and profit) so a dented box may impact the resale value, but for the people that are actually going to play the game, some minor box damage doesn't really matter...it's all about playing the game and showing off the crazy extras to our friends :lol:

Keep up the good work!

[quote name='token2k6']well after seeing current 'selling' prices for Bioshock and Mass Effect LE's (well into $300-$500) I think that is everyone's hope...It is really hard to tell w/ the market. You have thousands of Bioshock 2 LEs & CoD:MW2 PEs sitting in all retail stores, yet, you will not find a single copy of GoW3 UE or ME2 CE, with those selling out pretty much the first week. I think we all hope that if we're going to get the CE of a game, and may or may not open it, that the value will only go up.

I would be (kinda am) so bitter about my Bioshock 2 LEs b/c I thought that was a sure thing. But since I got both the PS3 and 360 for $100 out of pocket, I don't feel that bad..[/QUOTE]

Your thinking about Gamestop exclusive for Bioshock 1 and Mass Effect 1. The sequels are sold at all major retailers. Are you sure those games are fetching that value? I remember buying those games at launch date and resold them when I beat them. I most do this so I can get a free rental and retain most of it's value; even if the item is fairly common. I'm doing the same for this game.

my first impression on opening the box PPPPPP UUUUUUUU, yuk man it stinks (i understand why though), my pad was not damaged and it came in a box from GS, Great condition except one bend, due to the contents im sure, oh well.

[quote name='kanedags']We're taking notes for sure, but let me give you a little insight into the whole LE business thing. As you can tell the box is pretty hefty, both in size and weight, certainly much larger and heavier than a regular box...AND most importantly waaaay more expensive to ship. Sure we could have put it in a big metal box or used a heavier stock of cardboard, but that would in turn increase our cost in producing it. In order to bring the game to you at the rock bottom price of $59.99 (The price of what you would pay for a no-frills regular edition) we had to make compromises. (Yes, I battle with my boss with this on the daily because I, like you, like to see high-quality goodies. So, I have to go okay I'd rather see a mouse pad AND a pillowcase as opposed to just a mouse pad and a fancy box.) This is just one of many factors that go into creating these crazy LEs, but we do it because we're fans too and we want to give you, the fans something special. At the same time, we've got kids to feed and mortgages to pay too, so we can't just give everything away. That said, sorry about the long post and hope you guys are enjoying the game![/QUOTE]

I know this topic is about Agarest, but I want to mention Mimana Iyar Chronicles as well. The box is not as bad as Agarest, but it's definitely way flimsier then it should be. And the main problem with the Mimana box was that it was too large. It's easily big enough to hold the game and the CD in a jewel case, but the CD is just in a paper sleeve, meaning there's a lot of empty space in the box, making it easier for it to be crushed. Plus the way the box was designed I can't even put the CD in a jewel case inside unless I tear out the current CD holder, thus damaging the box and defeating the purpose.

Just got mine today. No crush but some creases/budges on one edge/side, possibly caused when the fucking packer was grabbing the box by one hand. The overall shape is still ok.

Side note about recent amazon packaging:

My Hunter Monster Tri Classic Controller bundle came crushed pretty bad. You would think they would use a proper box given the size of the bundle (3" thick). The fuck packer decided to use a big but thin cardboard wrap to ship it. Those cardboard wraps are good for shipping books but not for collectible boxes. The wraps won't stand vertical compression force exerted on them. So my bundle was crushed.

My Sakura War premium box was also crushed thanks to them shipping it in an envelope. Somehow Amazon thinks that you as a customer would not mind the condition of the product boxes and assumes that you probably would throw them away like you would with a lego box. There is a reason that their product description would say 'Limited Edition', 'Collectible Edition' or 'Premium Box'. The packers just want to pack packages as fast as possible without regards to the condition of the products that the customers will receive. Morons.

[quote name='kanedags']That said, sorry about the long post and hope you guys are enjoying the game![/QUOTE]

I'm enjoying the hell out of my pillow, but it'll be months before I start on the game.

[quote name='eau']Just got mine today. No crush but some creases/budges on one edge/side, possibly caused when the fucking packer was grabbing the box by one hand. The overall shape is still ok.

Side note about recent amazon packaging:

My Hunter Monster Tri Classic Controller bundle came crushed pretty bad. You would think they would use a proper box given the size of the bundle (3" thick). The fuck packer decided to use a big but thin cardboard wrap to ship it. Those cardboard wraps are good for shipping books but not for collectible boxes. The wraps won't stand vertical compression force exerted on them. So my bundle was crushed.

My Sakura War premium box was also crushed thanks to them shipping it in an envelope. Somehow Amazon thinks that you as a customer would not mind the condition of the product boxes and assumes that you probably would throw them away like you would with a lego box. There is a reason that their product description would say 'Limited Edition', 'Collectible Edition' or 'Premium Box'. The packers just want to pack packages as fast as possible without regards to the condition of the products that the customers will receive. Morons.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, Gamestop is not much better. I'm on my third replacement Sakura Wars premium box which replaced the single copy I had to send back to Amazon. Even when GS properly packed it in bubble wrap and a sturdy box, it looks like the box was dented prior to being placed in the box. At least both Amazon and Gamestop have good customer service and don't give me a hassle about all the stuff I send back.

* I like LEs, especially with interesting addons. I actually used my GTA duffel bag, and I love my Fallout bobblehead. Soundtracks are also always good.
* If you're buying video games for an investment, you're stupid. 99 percent of "limited editions" will drop drastically in price, six, twelve, 24 months down the road. You'd do better waiting six months after release and buying the stuff at a discount, and sticking the difference in an investment. Any money I'm "investing" in video games would do much better in my 401k. [long term].

It is interesting how there's already copies on Amazon Marketplace, ranging from less than retail to twice retail. But just because someone's asking a higher price, doesn't mean they will get it.

Anyway, I got it because it comes with "free" stuff, and I like old school SRPGs. I just hope it's more like FFT, or even Vandal Hearts 1 or 2, than Disgaea.

Not sure how my wife'll feel about having the pillowcase on the bed...then again, we do need another pillowcase.

[quote name='eau']Side note about recent amazon packaging:
Somehow Amazon thinks that you as a customer would not mind the condition of the product boxes and assumes that you probably would throw them away like you would with a lego box. There is a reason that their product description would say 'Limited Edition', 'Collectible Edition' or 'Premium Box'. The packers just want to pack packages as fast as possible without regards to the condition of the products that the customers will receive. Morons.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me started. I had ordered something from Amazon that came as as DVD in a paper sleeve packed in collectable box, and they kept shipping it in those cardboard wraparounds that would get crushed when anything other than a book or hard DVD case was inside. I had to return that thing 4 times before I finally got lucky and got one that wasn't completely smashed. I kept giving them packing feedback, sent them pictures, etc. and those damn Amazon packing monkeys kept using that stupid cardboard wrapper no matter what I said. BAD MONKEY!!!

They also screwed up my GoW III UE box....put it in a cardboard box 2.5 times the size of the GoW box with a couple of air pillows, leaving about 50%+ of free space for it slide around and allowing the outer box to get crushed, crushing the GoW box in the process. Complained to Amazon and of course there were no more in stock (and weren't getting any more), but they finally offered me a 30% credit on the purchase.

[quote name='zohar']So uh. Has anyone actually played the game yet?[/QUOTE]

I have. It's ok so far, About 5 hrs or so. the graphics aren't the best but oh well.
Not much else to say about it. A typical SRPG.

The PS3 version is now up in the PSN store for $44.99. 5 DLC addons have also been released for free.

No DLCs on XBL yet. Will they be free too?

[quote name='fatbeer']Your thinking about Gamestop exclusive for Bioshock 1 and Mass Effect 1. The sequels are sold at all major retailers. Are you sure those games are fetching that value? I remember buying those games at launch date and resold them when I beat them. I most do this so I can get a free rental and retain most of it's value; even if the item is fairly common. I'm doing the same for this game.[/QUOTE]

ok, fine, I double checked myself, Bioshock seems to have fallen to around $400, ME1 to $130. I'm just typing the name of the game and 'collectors edition' into ebay, people will say, "this is not a true value of a games worth" fine, I get that, but tell me where else you can buy a game that is no longer sold? rather than getting a price off a price-tracking website, which you can't buy from! Oh, and ME1 CE wasn't a GS exclusive, I've said it before that I regret not picking one up for $40 at Best Buy..AND on clearance :bomb:

[quote name='token2k6']ok, fine, I double checked myself, Bioshock seems to have fallen to around $400, ME1 to $130. I'm just typing the name of the game and 'collectors edition' into ebay, people will say, "this is not a true value of a games worth" fine, I get that, but tell me where else you can buy a game that is no longer sold? rather than getting a price off a price-tracking website, which you can't buy from! Oh, and ME1 CE wasn't a GS exclusive, I've said it before that I regret not picking one up for $40 at Best Buy..AND on clearance :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I have never seen a Bioshock CE actually sell for $400 despite what some moron may have it listed for. I've seen a few sell for $150-$200 sealed/mint recently on Ebay, but never above that. ME1 goes for $100-$150 sealed/mint. Like I said earlier, when you add up the 8 or 9 collector's editions you end up paying way too much for at release for every one that goes up in value, you could easily afford to pay even inflated Ebay prices and still save a ton of money just by waiting on the ones that drop in value like most do.

Guess I lucked out. Got mine from GoGamer today and the box wasn't damaged at all. Came in one of those shoebox-sized priority mail boxes and was wrapped carefully in bubble wrap + styro peanuts.

Never ordered before from GoGamer but I'll definitely be back. Only $51.99 +$4.99 priority ship and I didn't have to listen to any dickhead Gamestop employees make any stupid remarks about my purchase. They even threw in a free PC game too! (Paraworld?). I love these guys. :)

was checking xbox 360 price-drops and they had this collectors edition (none in stock) used........ fucking ewwwww...... they call it the naughty edition, but used it's the sticky edition.

i noticed this in the frys ad today, i think they wanted $54.99, they said it was the limited edition with the mousepad, so i presume it's the "naughty" edition. i don't know why anyone would pay so much for a mouse pad, although, it is boobies, but to each their own.

[quote name='tigerpants']i noticed this in the frys ad today, i think they wanted $54.99, they said it was the limited edition with the mousepad, so i presume it's the "naughty" edition. i don't know why anyone would pay so much for a mouse pad, although, it is boobies, but to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, most people were paying for the game, and the mouse pad was a bonus.

I mean seriously, if anyone is buying this for the mouse pad (and I mean buying it for the mouse pad, not buying it now because the the limited edition is available rather than waiting until later or whatever), there's something wrong with them (if for no other reason than if all you want is a boobie mouse pad, those are available cheaper by themselves). But I don't think that's what most people are doing.

[quote name='arcane93']Last I checked, most people were paying for the game, and the mouse pad was a bonus.

I mean seriously, if anyone is buying this for the mouse pad (and I mean buying it for the mouse pad, not buying it now because the the limited edition is available rather than waiting until later or whatever), there's something wrong with them (if for no other reason than if all you want is a boobie mosue pad, those are available cheaper by themselves). But I don't think that's what most people are doing.[/QUOTE]

it was in jest, i seriously hope the mousepad and pillow cover are bonuses rather than the impetus for buying the game.

[quote name='arcane93']Last I checked, most people were paying for the game, and the mouse pad was a bonus.

I mean seriously, if anyone is buying this for the mouse pad (and I mean buying it for the mouse pad, not buying it now because the the limited edition is available rather than waiting until later or whatever), there's something wrong with them (if for no other reason than if all you want is a boobie mouse pad, those are available cheaper by themselves). But I don't think that's what most people are doing.[/QUOTE]
You don't even have a choice really. There's no standard edition of the game so you have to get the limited edition with the mousepad, If you have a ps3 you could get it digitally, but hell, I hate digital downloads, I want something to put on my shelf :bouncy:

I got mine from gamestop (25OFF) a couple days ago and it was literally perfect. No bulging, no dents, no anything bad. The air bag packaging material crap was put in so only about ~

[quote name='mitnosi']You don't even have a choice really. There's no standard edition of the game so you have to get the limited edition with the mousepad, If you have a ps3 you could get it digitally, but hell, I hate digital downloads, I want something to put on my shelf :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Presumably when/if there's another pressing of the game later, it will just be the standard edition without the extras. But yeah, same here -- no digital download for me when a physical copy is an option!

[quote name='eau']The PS3 version is now up in the PSN store for $44.99. 5 DLC addons have also been released for free.

No DLCs on XBL yet. Will they be free too?[/QUOTE]

I think Askys said that the PSN version is going to be cheaper will have save free DLC while the :360: version is going to have the boobie mousepad. (So I think that means the :360: DLC is going to cost space dollars)

..also,

picture.php

A comparison shot of the Record of Agarest War to the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Lunar limited editions for anyone wondering about how big this thing is.

[quote name='ragtop70']What exactly is a Japanese Strategy Role Playing Game? For that matter, what is a Strategy Role Playing Game?[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy Tactics is a prime example. Its basically a game where you battle by moving characters around on a grid to attack/cast spells etc. Traditionally its turned based also.

okay, just unboxed my naughty edition and i got an ink blotch on my mousepad >_> not to mention a very chemicly smell comin from the box. time 2 complain! and its a whole lotta nothing inside the box....wish they didnt skimp on box =P

Mine arrived from Amazon yesterday in great condition. The mouse pad definitely has a rubber chemical stink to it, but after sitting out since last night the strength of the smell is definitely lessening so I'm pretty sure the smell will go away in time.

Actually, it's probably a good thing that it smells bad because if it smelled really good there would be lots of people sticking their nose between their mouse pad's :bouncy::bouncy:....well, you know what I mean.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I think Askys said that the PSN version is going to be cheaper will have save free DLC while the :360: version is going to have the boobie mousepad. (So I think that means the :360: DLC is going to cost space dollars)

..also,

picture.php

A comparison shot of the Record of Agarest War to the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Lunar limited editions for anyone wondering about how big this thing is.[/QUOTE]

If I knew that I'd probably would've swung for the PS3 version although 9 gigs for the game and another 9 gig just to install the game iis more than I have left on my hd.

Was this game on super sale on Amazon or something? I'm planning on picking this up tomorrow from Gamestop. No worries about the box being crushed or anything.
I'm gonna switch my wifes pillow case with this one, should go over well.

Got mine today. It was shrinkwrapped securely to a piece of a cardboard in a good sized box. There's still a minor dent/crease thing on the left side, but it feels like the stuff inside is of an inconsistent thickness, so it's not very reinforced. And it is thin cardboard. I hope the game isn't quite as 'gratuitous' and fanservice-y as the box is, as a 37 year old married man with a young son, I feel a little weird looking at that box.
I'm not too worried about the box, I just hope the stuff inside isn't messed up.
photo-20.jpg

Only three things inside. The mouspad, which is causing the crease on the left, the pillow case which isn't going to be ruined from shipping and the game with extra ost cd inside. It's kind of secured in the corner by another small piece inside around it.

It is unfortunate the boxes can't be perfectly pristine but the game case itself is as are the extras, so thanks to aksys for giving any 360 owners the option to get these extras at retail price of the game anyway.

[quote name='ster']Wait, what the hell is this? o_o[/QUOTE]

F-tier SRPG from an F-tier developer trying to appeal to an audience through other means than gameplay.

[quote name='Meringue']F-tier SRPG from an F-tier developer trying to appeal to an audience through other means than gameplay.[/QUOTE]

New to S-RPGs are we?

[quote name='Meringue']F-tier SRPG from an F-tier developer trying to appeal to an audience through other means than gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I'm really loving how this game is getting a lot of unnecessary hate from people who've never played the game or anime fan type-casters.

Yes, the bonus content is easy to poke fun at, but if you're into RPGs, get over it, stop hating and try it. It's actually pretty fun.

[quote name='Vortextk']

It is unfortunate the boxes can't be perfectly pristine but the game case itself is as are the extras, so thanks to aksys for giving any 360 owners the option to get these extras at retail price of the game anyway.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Boxes are meant to protect the things inside, and once I open this, the box will probably go in a closet somewhere. And game+3 bonuses in a "naughty" edition is a lot better than game + bonuses in a "legendary" edition for twice the price.

bread's done
Back