Red Bull Air Race Detroit 2008 (56k go away!)

Kendal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
So Red Bull decided to bring their Air Race to the Detroit Riverfront. I am a little interested in planes. I just finished an Aviation Maintenance course at a local school. Anyway, when I heard about this I knew i had to be there. It was only $30 a person for both days. Sadly, the qualifying round was canceled due to terrible winds yesterday. These tiny light piston poppers would not be able to fly the course. The pylons wouldn't ever stand up and one actually left one of the barges. But today the race was on and it was awesome. So here are some photos from the day. I will upload some video of the final four runs later.

101_0039.jpg

I took my friend Heidi.

101_0042.jpg

These are what the gates look like. The red ones have to be gone through "knife edge" With the plane completely side ways.

101_0048.jpg

That is a B-25 that is from the school I went to. He flew by too fast for me to snap a good picture.

101_0051.jpg

That is a Corsair. An old WWII plane. It is a gull-winged radial that killed a lot of bad guys!

101_0053.jpg

FA-18 Super Hornet doing a "dirty pass", it has it's landing gear down and the tail hook deployed. It is really loud when flying like this.

101_0054.jpg

FA-18 doing an "alpha pass", it is almost stalling out flying in a straight line. It is an amazing sight to see. I wish I would have had a video of it.

101_0060.jpg

Little blurry, but that is what "knife edge" looks like. When flying like this, the plane loses altitude. So it is tricky flying at the proper height through the gates.

101_0061.jpg

Better "knife edge".

101_0066.jpg

This was a set of about 5 gates where they had to zig zag knife edge through. This is one of the harder parts to navigate through.

101_0069.jpg

He just went through a blue gate, which is level pass. Then he must knife edge through a couple gates then to the start/halfway/finish line.

101_0047.jpg

Brian and Griffen want to see more flying and less jerks talking!

101_0075.jpg

We had fun.

101_0082.jpg

We also had fun.

101_0084.jpg

In Detroit, even if the light is green, you stop. Not pictured: the green light.

101_0087.jpg

Heidi, did you have fun?

101_0089.jpg

Joe Lois' fist?

101_0090.jpg

Or a good time with Madonna. You decide. :D

101_0096.jpg

Back in the 'burbs, safe and sound. The Mayor didn't mug us.

Hope you enjoyed the pics. I had a blast. Any questions? I might have the answer!

Thanks for the pics. I actually considered going, but had some stuff happen yesterday that kinda soured my mood for going out today.

Oh yeah...Jefferson Ave is a bitch to drive down when there is something going on. People cross against the light all the time.

But, today's weather was perfect for going out. Kinda bummed I stayed home now.

Thanks for the pics!

Glad someone got some enjoyment. It was a blast. Hopefully the high winds don't make them not want to come back. It is a neat event. I almost wanted to be on the Windsor side so I could take pics of the Detroit Riverfront. But then I would have had to drive to Canada.

[quote name='Kendal']Glad someone got some enjoyment. It was a blast. Hopefully the high winds don't make them not want to come back. It is a neat event. I almost wanted to be on the Windsor side so I could take pics of the Detroit Riverfront. But then I would have had to drive to Canada.[/quote]

Although I haven't done so in years, I used go to WIndsor for the Freedom Fest, just so I could watch the fireworks over the Detroit River against the Detroit Skyline - that is really cool looking.

Kendal, are you from here or visiting from KY?

I got screwed out of running Camera OP for the races.

I did all of the press conferences and promo's leading up to the actually race but was no where on the list to actually work it.

Bah. Ah well.

Hehe, yeah I am from Waterford. Next to Pontiac. I don't know if Jelly,KY exists, but it is funny. If it does, it must be a slippery place!.

My girlfriend went on Saturday with her mother to see it from the RenCen because her mother works in GM Corporate Headquarters.

[quote name='Kendal']Hehe, yeah I am from Waterford. Next to Pontiac. I don't know if Jelly,KY exists, but it is funny. If it does, it must be a slippery place!.[/quote]

Heh, I didn't even notice the "Jelly." :lol: I work in Auburn Hills, so I know Waterford; in-laws just bought a house there, too.

bread's done
Back