Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

I've been finding the mini-map to be quite an irritation, seems like 40% of the time I am playing the game by looking at it. Anyone tried playing yet without the mini-map? Or is it just going to lead to missing things?

I sort of just know where things are at this point. The only time I find my self using it is when something is in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to run my horse off a cliff.

Oh and another question. Can you wear your horse out to the point that it dies? I was riding my horse up a hill and when I got to the top I forgot to stop pressing A, his stamina ran out, he bucked me off and just fell over : (
I was so sad. I worked hard to tame him.

[quote name='slickkill77']Has anyone unlocked the other avatar items? I got the sombrero but that's it.[/QUOTE]
Got me a sweet t-shirt about 20 minutes ago.

[quote name='Michael Scott']It's on the top floor of one of the buildings that is in the shipping yard which is right at the beginning of the Thieves' Landing area. You have to open a chest to get it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help.

Anyone know how to obtain the duster coat?

Has anyone who pre-ordered it from Amazon received their $20 off code yet? I haven't, just want to know when I should be worried.

[quote name='TeamUnderdog']wait how do you get the sombrero avatar award?[/QUOTE]

Apparently you have to shoot somebody's hat off or something.

[quote name='faceturd']I've been finding the mini-map to be quite an irritation, seems like 40% of the time I am playing the game by looking at it. Anyone tried playing yet without the mini-map? Or is it just going to lead to missing things?[/QUOTE]

I used it during the cattle herding missions with Bonnie but other than that, I don't think I've done much with it.

The mini-map seems fine. I'm always scouring it for the wild flower icon to pop up and I really like that they mark your kills with with the little black X. Makes it easier to find bodies you haven't looted yet or downed animals you have yet to skin.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So what does dying do exactly? Is there any penalty?[/QUOTE]

Actually no not really as far as I know. You either end up where your last rest/save was or if you're on a story mission you get to restart the mission from a checkpoint.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So what does dying do exactly? Is there any penalty?[/QUOTE]

Nope just the inconvenience of riding back out to where you were.

The Amazon codes can go out as late as 2 days after shipping. Usually they are pretty fast but I'd at least wait until tomorrow.

This is from Black Ops but same deal

Pre-order Call of Duty: Black Ops and get $20 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

I've lasted at most 90 seconds in an MP game before getting kicked due to connection issues. My NAT is open and I have no issues in BC2 or MW2, heh.

[quote name='Fjordson']The mini-map seems fine. I'm always scouring it for the wild flower icon to pop up and I really like that they mark your kills with with the little black X. Makes it easier to find bodies you haven't looted yet or downed animals you have yet to skin.[/QUOTE]

I just played a good 2 hours with out it on. Makes Bounties really hard because you don't know where the guy is... so you really have to pay attention. But with it turned off there is basically nothing on the screen which really helps somewhat for the immersion factor. Makes you have to look for landmarks a lot too. I wish there was a faster big map pull up than menu > map... that would be the perfect solution.

Turning aiming assist to expert is also rather nice, the auto-aim was way to easy at first.

My copy is in the mail so I haven't been able to play it yet. Quick question: Are the mission frustrating like GTA where if you die, you have to ride back and start the mission over again? Or have they put in a checkpoint system?

[quote name='faceturd']I just played a good 2 hours with out it on. Makes Bounties really hard because you don't know where the guy is... so you really have to pay attention. But with it turned off there is basically nothing on the screen which really helps somewhat for the immersion factor. Makes you have to look for landmarks a lot too. I wish there was a faster big map pull up than menu > map... that would be the perfect solution.

Turning aiming assist to expert is also rather nice, the auto-aim was way to easy at first.[/QUOTE]
Ah, that's cool. I have to admit that I didn't even know you could turn the mini-map off. I agree, I think if there was a quick button press or something quick to bring up the full map then I might actually take it off.

And yeah no auto-aim definitely makes this more fun, IMO.

Out of curiosity, anyone with the golden guns wanna do a quick write-up on 'em? Just sold my code and now I'm wondering if I bit myself in the ass by doing so.

Seem to get significantly more fame by using 'em? Seems worth using them over newer guns you find in-game?

Patiently waiting for my $20 credit!

I got home and played this last night, and was very confused as to where I was and the missions, then I realized my brother-in-law had played about two hours worth of story missions and saved over my game! I had barely started playing, so I'll probably just start over.

Just started the game... can't wait to play poker haha.

Don't know if anyone has any extra dlc codes but I'm willing to trade an XBLA code for Perfect Dark, Toy Soldiers, or Scrap metal for them.

I started tonght and played about 2.5 hours. It's pretty fantastic so far. However, why does Rockstar use such small fonts? I can't sit on the couch playing this or I won't be able to read the text.

Just got the Horseshoes achievement. Just so you know if you both get a ringer in the same round, it won't count for the achievement. Had to get a second one by myself.

According to my email I have a week until Amazon will get it to me. Auggh. I was just playing GTAIV today and I wanted to know did Rockstar learn their lesson with mission checkpoints and incorporate them in RDR?!

If anyone wants to get "Have Gun Will Travel" and the other multiplayer achievements hit me up. I am usually on late night. Maybe this friday night or sat night around midnightish or later. PST

[quote name='jraypeon']Just started the game... can't wait to play poker haha.

Don't know if anyone has any extra dlc codes but I'm willing to trade an XBLA code for Perfect Dark, Toy Soldiers, or Scrap metal for them.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, if anyone has extra codes they are most likely going on eBay. Some of them are fetching $40-50 USD, whereas Perfect Dark or other XBL games are like, $6-8 USD. Good luck, mate.

[quote name='HydroX']Honestly, if anyone has extra codes they are most likely going on eBay. Some of them are fetching $40-50 USD, whereas Perfect Dark or other XBL games are like, $6-8 USD. Good luck, mate.[/QUOTE]
Some people aren't douche bags though and would likely be willing to trade for an arcade game, that's more than fair for an in-game item if ya' ask me.

I can't believe people are willing to pay $40 for something like golden guns!

[quote name='Sigma']Some people aren't douche bags though and would likely be willing to trade for an arcade game, that's more than fair for an in-game item if ya' ask me.

I can't believe people are willing to pay $40 for something like golden guns![/QUOTE]

Psst, you wanna buy a bridge?

[quote name='Sigma']Is it a golden bridge?[/QUOTE]

Golden bridge that'll give you more fame than those them there regular bridges!

[quote name='Sigma']Some people aren't douche bags though and would likely be willing to trade for an arcade game, that's more than fair for an in-game item if ya' ask me.

I can't believe people are willing to pay $40 for something like golden guns![/QUOTE]

Jesus, I gote mailed a code by Amazon and got one in my game. I used one and didn't know what to do with the other. If I had known I could even get $20 for them, there is no way I would have even used one of them.

I wonder if this is the best time to Ebay one of if they are only going to go up in value.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man, this game is fantastic and all. But there are soo many bugs. They needed to bake it a little longer...[/QUOTE]

lol yeah i agree. i was doing the midnight watch at the ranch and that fucking dog got stuck on the chicken coop. took 15 minutes for me to get the damn thing unstuck. i almost shot the damn thing. lol

Enjoying the story so far as well as the multiplayer.

Anyone else not get the $20 from Amazon yet? I'm trying for the Alan Wake deal too.

Especially since you can unlock them in game.

Still cant get my "Golden Guns" code from Amazon to work. I keep getting a failed connection attempt to Rockstar message every time I try.

I guess I need to check how much the gamestop codes are worth. Can you get that outfit in game anyway? I don't care too much about the soundtrack either.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man, this game is fantastic and all. But there are soo many bugs. They needed to bake it a little longer...[/QUOTE]

yup. during the cut scene for "american appetite" the man who has a "broken leg" was invisible! john was standing there talking to the air, after the cut scene he appeared. same with the guy you have to chase down and bring back, both were invisible during the cut scene, made me mad. anyone else getting stuck behind rocks and fences sometimes with you horse to? sometimes thats a little awkward.

Poker is fairly poorly implemented. I understand why they would make it a tournament game instead of cash, but why no increasing blinds? It also takes much too long even when skipping to your next turn. And the AI displayed by the other characters borders on utterly random. They will underbet very strong hands and bet out of control with random crap.

Once i'm playing heads-up with a guy for 1/2 hour I just don't even care about winning or losing anymore and want it over with. I don't want to have to drop an hour on poker every time I play.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I was just playing GTAIV today and I wanted to know did Rockstar learn their lesson with mission checkpoints and incorporate them in RDR?![/QUOTE]

There are checkpoints in the missions. I failed a mission 1/2 way through and only had to complete the last 1/2. I'm only about 3 hours in though so I'm not sure if that trend continues though.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']Golden Guns codes were going for that much. Then about 300 auctions showed up. The first few people got $50. The ones ending now are like $5.[/QUOTE]

Who in the world would pay 50 bucks for that? You could have just bought the game new off of Amazon, got the code and sold it new for a 10 dollar loss or so.

Plus all of the DLC is going to be up in 6 months for a couple of bucks.

[quote name='crunchewy']I started tonght and played about 2.5 hours. It's pretty fantastic so far. However, why does Rockstar use such small fonts? I can't sit on the couch playing this or I won't be able to read the text.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I completely agree. Small fonts with narrow text. I pulled up a lazy boy to get closer to my 52" TV.

bread's done
Back