Red Steel 2 - WM+ exclusive cel-shaded Samurai Gunmen - This Week

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359983
Some pictures of the next issue's cover and the table of contents show that Red Steel 2 will support WM+, and judging from the art, it looks like it will star a Western-style feller wielding a katana. On the TOC, the metal on the guy's coat makes it look a bit future-y, so I'm not sure whether this will take place in a dystopian future or the 19th century West.

The cover/TOC also shows that this issue will have reviews for Punch-Out!!, Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, C.O.R.E., Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past, and a few more.

Here's a link to the issue's entire Table of Contents, for confirmation's sake:
http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP242_TOC.pdf

Some info from the article:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=80814
http://gonintendo.com/?p=81057
http://gonintendo.com/?p=81226
- Red Steel 2 is a series reboot
- runs at 60fps
- takes places in the fictional town of Caldera (think Tokyo meets Reno)
- when Ubisoft saw the MotionPlus, they decided to reboot and take things in a new direction
- cel-shaded style, much like XIII
- aiming for Teen rating “The gore just doesn’t fit for us and what we’re trying to do”
- no multiplayer
- Wii MotionPlus exclusive (can only play with Wii MotionPlus?)
- dual wielding Gun and sword might happen
- main character is called ‘The Swordsman’
- finishing attacks (ex: The Swordsman palms an enemy’s head, and then runs him through with his sword’
- no blood because the dev team didn’t want the players distracted by over-the-top graphic violence
- some aspect of leveling up your character
- gun and sword combos
- “RS2 is tightly focused on intensely physical first person sword fighting, with gunplay a secondary option”
- hold Z to lock onto enemy
- hold down C and swing to block, vertical and horizontal blocks
- switch lock-on at any time
- screen prompts you if you’re being attacked from behind. Press A to quick-turn in this situation
- many enemies wear bulletproof armor
- not open world
- not a linear game, multiple paths to take
- several hub-worlds
- side quests
- collectibles
- return to old areas with new powers and abilities
-”non-combat use of MotionPlus wont be limited to opening doors”
- boss fights
- production began last summer
- Ubisoft discussing the lack of multiplayer: “We would love to create a multiplayer engine, but not right now. It’s single player because we want to really focus on the core mechanic and as much as we all want to kill each other with swords, it’s not going to happen this time.
- Ubisoft on releasing a multiplayer mode through DLC: “That would be cool. The world has changed, and we can do that sort of thing. I certainly think that would be cool. I’d buy it. But we need to be careful bringing out something that people think should be in the main game.”
Official Website

UPDATE: JonnyThePieKing of GameTrailers posted some scan snippets, which shows six in-game scanshots:
http://jonnythepieking.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=blog

UPDATE 3: True-gaming put up a bunch of scans from the Official Nintendo Magazine UK article:
http://www.true-gaming.net/boards/showpost.php?p=514905&postcount=56

Last edited by a moderator:
After all the delay I really hope this game turns out good. The futuristic outfit and gun the guy is wearing is troubling though.

Why is the cover "future-y"?

It looks like a western coat to me... not too many guys running around with 6 shooters in the future I would imagine.

I guess unless your a katana weilding crazy.

With the WM+, I am willing to give most Wii games a try. I was REALLY angry at Red Steel, but, this could potentially make it an awesome game.

Yeah, I don't see any evidence of futuristic elements based on the cover art.

I'm not sure how dual wielding would work. Seems like you need the remote for both; the gun needing IR and the katana needing the WM+. Two remotes? I guess they could make movement gesture based and done by holding down a button or summat, but they're probably just gonna have analog control via the nunchuk.

So yeah, not sure about that.

It sucks that Ubisoft is getting another chance at a Red Steel game. In a just world, shit like that would've sold so badly that the company who created it would immediately go under and all the employees that helped make said abomination would be exiled to the Sun.

[quote name='theflicker']Yeah, I don't see any evidence of futuristic elements based on the cover art.[/QUOTE]

Not the cover art, the art on the Table of Contents PDF. Ah, and this background on the official website appears to confirm that it will not take place in the Old West, it's probably set in the future or in a modern-day city, it's too far away to tell. Guesses: Time-travel? Post-apocalyptic wasteland (ala Mad Max)? Another planet?

Also, UbiSoft press release:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=80828
SAN FRANCISCO – April 29, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announced Red Steel 2, exclusively for the Wii(TM) system from Nintendo. Red Steel remains one of the most successful Wii titles and the only brand created specifically for the launch of the platform. Red Steel 2 is being developed by Ubisoft Paris and will be available for the 2009 holiday season.

Red Steel 2 returns with an artistic style and flair created just for Wii. Set in a desert-bound, high-tech metropolis, Red Steel 2 is a revolution in the action-fighting genre, taking full advantage of the capabilities of the Wii MotionPlus(TM) accessory. Your movements are faithfully replicated on-screen, putting the emphasis on swinging, shooting and fun! With the ability of the Wii MotionPlus to sense the strength of a swing, you will literally be able to make an impact on your adversaries through power and precision.

“Red Steel was a unique opportunity for Ubisoft to work in tandem with Nintendo to create a title exclusively for the launch of the Wii console,” said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing US at Ubisoft. “Red Steel 2 is another milestone for the company as it is the first Ubisoft title with full Wii MotionPlus integration.”

Just as Red Steel broke ground as the only third-party brand created for the launch of the Wii, Red Steel 2 will be the must-have game of Holiday 2009 for those who wish to stretch their own capacities and fully experience a game that was built from the ground up to take advantage of the Wii MotionPlus.

More details on Red Steel 2 will be revealed in the June issue of Nintendo Power magazine. For more information on Red Steel 2, please visit www.redsteel2.com.

'aiming for Teen rating “The gore just doesn’t fit for us and what we’re trying to do”'

Then why are they still calling the game REDsteel?

Why not just make a new IP altogether? The redsteel brand has already been tarnished.

[quote name='rumblebear']
Then why are they still calling the game REDsteel?

Why not just make a new IP altogether? The redsteel brand has already been tarnished.[/QUOTE]

They can always call it Blue Steel and have it star Zoolander.

I love the art style, it looks really great.

Hopefully this game is better then the first Red Steel, which I thought was okay but a little rushed and really could of used another 6 months or so of development time. Red Steel 2 should have that problem.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I love the art style, it looks really great.

Hopefully this game is better then the first Red Steel, which I thought was okay but a little rushed and really could of used another 6 months or so of development time. Red Steel 2 should have that problem.[/quote]

I agree.. I hope for same:cool:

First scanshot from the article:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=80968

tease.jpg

[quote name='rumblebear']
Why not just make a new IP altogether? The redsteel brand has already been tarnished.[/quote]I have no idea. I'm glad that they're doing a reboot because seriously the story from the first game can go fuck itself, but it's not... it's not like a Batman reboot, here. They're not drawing on an ancient, storied franchise. They're just making a sequel to a mediocre franchise that started only a couple of years ago; a franchise that really could have died after the first game. If they make Red Steel 2 good, then hey, awesome, swords 'n guns ya-hey! But affiliating it with the big pile of what the fuck that was Red Steel is unnecessary at best.

Though I liked being able to turn my gun sideways. Keep that in, Ubisoft.

Even though I know that all that footage was most likely just pre-rendered FMVs, that trailer (Much like the trailer for the first game) still succeeded at one thing: Making the concept look really cool. Let's just hope they actually come close to living up to the hype they're setting this time. With a Holiday 2009 release range, perhaps we'll see a playable demo at e3.

Also, with the info of it being a somewhat "non-linear" structure with replayable missions connected by "hub worlds," it sounds like they're taking it in a more Metroid-esque direction (Get new powers and moves as you progress, take them back to old missions if you wish).

I guess I hadn't thought the trailer might be bullshot in the form of a pre-rendered FMV. Granted, I never really trust any movies I watch on the 'net since there tends to be some level of compression, which can either gloss over graphical defects/hard edges or make something look much better than it really is.

I guess we'll know once we actually see something. There are some screengrabs of the trailer that suggest it is being rendered in real time, and it does match up with the released screen from a few days ago, but eh. You're probably right. This is Ubisoft we're talking about here.

Pre-rendered, pre-scripted, and pre-animated movement. There is simply no way to have animations like that for other characters, to react to every possible physical interaction you could have with them. MotionPlus or not, it's simply not feasible.

This is just like that bullshit trailer for Red Steel 1.

I wish I could get excited for this, because I like the style a lot, but sorry Ubisoft, I won't get fooled again!

Trailer looks cool. Sad thing is, that is exactly how they advertised Red Steel 1 in the first trailer. Friggen bs...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Pre-rendered, pre-scripted, and pre-animated movement. There is simply no way to have animations like that for other characters, to react to every possible physical interaction you could have with them. MotionPlus or not, it's simply not feasible.

This is just like that bullshit trailer for Red Steel 1.

I wish I could get excited for this, because I like the style a lot, but sorry Ubisoft, I won't get fooled again![/quote]

What the hell, I'm actually agreeing with CoffeeEdge... Damnit.

God, Ubisoft. I bet that they'll pull the exact same shit again for the debut trailer of Red Steel 3: In Outer Space, which will probably be a Wii 2 launch title in 2012 or some shit.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']What the hell, I'm actually agreeing with CoffeeEdge... Damnit.[/QUOTE]

It's cool, dude. I'm usually right about most things, so, it's to be expected. ;)

Pre-rendered and scripted or not, I love the art style and the way everything looks in motion. This game is still a long way off so we'll get plenty of impressions before it comes out to know whether or not it is just RS1 with prettier graphics.

I'm still really pessimistic, but the art style makes me want to believe.

I'm interested in seeing more details on this game, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The first game sounded good on paper, so all they need to do is nail the controls. Hope they do it.

Diggin' the art style too, wonder how much of a hit the graphics will take in actual gameplay.

[quote name='Strell']I guess I hadn't thought the trailer might be bullshot in the form of a pre-rendered FMV. Granted, I never really trust any movies I watch on the 'net since there tends to be some level of compression, which can either gloss over graphical defects/hard edges or make something look much better than it really is.

I guess we'll know once we actually see something. There are some screengrabs of the trailer that suggest it is being rendered in real time, and it does match up with the released screen from a few days ago, but eh. You're probably right. This is Ubisoft we're talking about here.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that the screenshots from the Nintendo Power/ONM UK articles are from the actual game, since some shots showed the weapon effects (Slashes, bursts) on the enemies.

Today, UbiSoft confirmed that it was leaked:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=81444

I think EatChildren's comments in that article explained the situation rather well, here's an excerpt:
It’s a target render. Developers often make them as a way of showing the publisher what they are aiming for. Not just graphically, but in terms of gameplay. So yeah, it’s a pre-production video in the sense that it was them saying to the bigwigs “Hey, this is what we think we can do, care to continue funding?”

That's why even though it's pre-rendered, it's rather tough to be angry with (or lay the entire blame on) UbiSoft this time. This video was clearly not intended for the general consumer audience, it was made to show the higher-ups at Ubi that this is what the development team was aiming for, or in other words, visualizing the target concept. I'd imagine that most videos like this are shown to the decision-makers, then either:
a) Locked away in a vault, never to be viewed again.
b) Some footage in the video would be spliced into future trailers.

Of course, with the leak of this video, option b seems unlikely, since people would probably notice the old footage.

[quote name='Kaoz']The first game sounded good on paper, so all they need to do is nail the controls.[/QUOTE]
Oh, is that all? :roll:

[quote name='Cao Cao']That's why even though it's pre-rendered, it's rather tough to be angry with (or lay the entire blame on) UbiSoft this time. This video was clearly not intended for the general consumer audience, it was made to show the higher-ups at Ubi that this is what the development team was aiming for, or in other words, visualizing the target concept. I'd imagine that most videos like this are shown to the decision-makers, then either:
a) Locked away in a vault, never to be viewed again.
b) Some footage in the video would be spliced into future trailers.

Of course, with the leak of this video, option b seems unlikely, since people would probably notice the old footage.[/QUOTE]
It's not a strictly-internal target render. It was shown at a press event. Look at the title card at the start of the leaked video.

Besides that, they don't usually put marketing blurbs, release dates, and fancy live-action marketing footage of people "playing" the game, in internal-only pre-production target renders.

I don't see why you're so sure that Ubi would not release something like this (pre-rendered, scripted animation) as a trailer for the game, considering that they (utterly shamelessly) did the exact same thing with Red Steel 1.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Oh, is that all? :roll:[/quote]

Well the first game didn't have WM+ so it should be easier to make work. Add in the fact that it isn't a launch title so it shouldnt get rushed out of the door as quickly. I see no reason to believe they won't have good controls. They know as well as we do that is the controls suck, the game will fail.

I like what they did with the trailer if they can pull thru in the end I think I can enjoy it and I'm easy to please.

[quote name='EXStrike']Gonna be bundled with Wii MotionPlus[/QUOTE]

Is that a question or a statement? I missed half of the announcement for red steel so if they said it I missed that part. Would be awesome news as I thought the game looked pretty good from what I saw tonight.

that's waht they announced. which is cool. I want M+ and have no desire for Wii Sports.. so I figure RS2 and Tiger should be fine

Yes, Ubisoft confirmed at their conference that there will be a WM+ bundle. I saw the gameplay footage in the presser video, but I didn't realize IGN already got their own footage up. Checking it out now.

That is great news. I wasnt sure if this game would turn out good or not when they first announced it. But the footage looked really good to me.

I also have no desire to get wii sports resorts, so that works great.

I played this at E3 and after about 5 minutes I had had enough. Fighting the first enemy was pretty cool, but it got old by the fourth or fifth one and that was only one small section of one level. They went a little too far with the motion plus. The game forced you to actually swing the remote as widely as you would actually swing a sword and you needed to put some force behind it. Maybe there will be sensitivity settings you can adjust in the final version that will fix it, but I didn't care enough about the game to ask.

I just watched some gameplay on x-play today. I lost all interest in this game. The problem I have is it went from this great city world to this western world, and I am not a fan of western themed games. It seemed like a bland western themed game with sword fighting.

I was one of the few people who really enjoyed red steel even though the controls were not too good, and it was the first Wii game I finished.

http://kotaku.com/5331431/what-wii-motionplus-really-does-for-red-steel-2
Stephen Totilo wrote an article about his meeting with director Jason VandenBerghe. The topic specifically discussed between the two was Red Steel 2's WM+ use. A particularly interesting point, and one that I believe has yet to be thoroughly discussed until now, was its effect on the shooting aspect of the game:
"Without MotionPlus, I couldn't do this," he said with the Remote now in his hand and me stepped off to the side to observe. He pointed the Remote at the screen as if to shoot. Then he moved his arm, pointing the Remote toward the left side of the screen... then he turned it more until it wasn't pointing at the TV any more.

Wii first-person-shooter owners know what VandenBerghe's gesture would normally cause. The Wii sensor bar would lose track of the Wii Remote's pointer, causing the game's first-person camera to either keep turning uncontrollably, or the camera would stop. This would be a frustration for players who were just trying to turn and had turned a tad too much. Either way, the gamer would then have to point back at the screen to get the Remote noticed again.

When VandenBerghe moved his Remote away from the TV something different happened. The camera in the game did keep turning. But as VandenBerghe turned his hand and the Remote back to the TV, the camera swiveled back with him. MotionPlus had taken over for the Remote's pointer. The Wii never lost track of its player.

MotionPlus had made these controls smarter. The swings to the side could even allow the developers to map a quick-turn.

This wasn't marketing. Technically, that's what MotionPlus added to the shooting of Red Steel 2. Otherwise, VandenBerghe said, no, MotionPlus was not essential for Red Steel's shooting gameplay.

No reviews that I know of yet, but I am hope the game is decent considering the shoddy original, which I skipped due to the poor gameplay (controls).

If it is anything close to NMH1, I am in for one!

bread's done
Back