Reduced price game guides, all stores. Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
3-17-07 Here should be most of the information that anyone would need in acquiring guides. please read ALL the information below before asking questions. most question are answered below. Again thank you 6669 for all your contributions to this thread and web site.

My wifes web site - Nice jewelry good prices.

www.ladieslovejewelry.com

For hopefully the latestest most current up to date guide drops please refer to the

"CAG Strategy Guide WIKI page"

recent drop section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(recent_drops)

master list section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(master_lists)

they will be filetered from the thread posts to the WIKI page as often as possible. Thank you for your contribution.

Listed in the wiki is the most up to date compiled list of all known guide deals from the posts of this thread and similar threads. I will update the wikis lists as people post new guide deals. Everything listed in this thread “should” be the price listed or lower. These prices are typically company wide price reductions and not YMMV. But just because the prices are typically universal does not mean that they are guaranteed to be sold to you. Most stores have a destroy clause with the guide companies. So whether or not you get these guides depend on many many factors from how diligent a staff is to how reasonable or friendly one is. Good luck on any you may find and good luck on acquiring them. Please dont have a fit if a store wont let you have them just move on. Causing trouble rarely gets guides and most of the time stops others from getting guides in your area. If anything is incorrect or missing please post so corrections can be made.

Now you can just cut, paste, print, and GO!!!

What is a Penny Guide:

To answer this question fully, one first has to understand the longstanding legal agreemenat which [book] publishers have with book sellers such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and other chain and Mom & Pop shops, as well as other retailers who similarly sell their books.

For several decades, publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Random House, et cetera will send out X-number of a title to stores to be sold. After a time, when it is decided that those older titles have little chance of selling and the store shelf real-estate would be better used for newer publications, they issue a recall to the vendors to field destroy all remaining copies of titles A, B & C.

The stores then will pull those titles from their inventory to be field-destroyed, and in their systems mark the publications as 1¢. The 1¢ price is to indicate to the publisher that they are no-longer selling the pulled title, and it is also to serve as a Red Flag to any cashier who might ring up a title (on the chance that the titles were not pulled as legally they were required).

When the pull lists are sent out by the publishers, and the stores adjust the price in their inventory (and pull and field-destroy the books), the stores also are to report to the publisher the number of the books they pulled. (This is generally done at a corporate level.) The publisher then credits the stores full cost of the books.

So lets say, MegaChain orders 8000 copies of the Bread Baker strategy guide for their stores in North America for say, $4 a piece. They owe $32,000 to Publisher X. Bread Baker being a big seller and a hard game, then sells 6000 of those 8000 guides, leaving around 2000 guides on the shelves when Publisher X issues the pull demand. Publisher X then issues MegaChain an $8000 credit for the 2000 unsold copies of the guide.

According to IAmTheCheapestGamer, some retailers also have deals where each copy of pulled titles sent to their recognized Recycling Centers are additionally issued further credit for being environmentally responsible in the manner in which they field destroy each book.

How you can help: You can keep a printed copy of this list in your jacket, wallet, purse whatever and when you go to any store that carries guides look for guides for games that have been out typically around six months or more and ask for a price check or better yet use a store scanner if they are available. If they are anything less than cover price write it down for us. Also please when you post the info here if it looks like it’s a temporary sale, please post that as well otherwise it will be assumed to a be a permanent price reduction. If you scan a guide and it comes up a different price that what the master lists suggests please list the day and store that you had the guide scanned. Also please list if you physically saw a self-scanner’s price, physically saw a cash registers price or vocally heard a price from the store’s staff. This might sound like a lot and of course we will take what we can get but this will go a long way to having the best master list as well as ferreting out different store practices and policy’s. All help is appreciated and thank you.

Trading: I spoke with the post office and found out that the cheapest form of mailing to the 48 contiguous states would be to use “media mail” It will take a little longer but it will also allow the least amount of money per transaction when trying to acquire guides for your collection. For an average guide weight of about 9 oz its $1.42 cents. All you need to do is put it in an envelope and ship it media mail. He mentioned no one should have a problem if you use the same envelope several times to cut down on costs. He also mentioned that when shipping Media mail that you cannot have any personal correspondence in the envelope. Only books and an invoice are acceptable. If trading is in you interest you do whatever is most comfortable for you and your trading party this was merely a FYI and a good way to keep it cheap.

Helpful links to check for reduced priced guides or guides in general. You will likely never find one cent guides here but various discounted guides and possibly some that you have been searching for.

Best Buy

Best Buy guide search

Circuit City

Circuit City guide search

EB Games

EB Games guide search

Gamestop (babages,software etc,funcoland)

Gamestop guide search

Overstock

Overstock guide search

Toys R Us (uhh best link I could find)

Toys R Us guide search

strategy-guides.net (another large site of guides)

strategy-guides.net guide search

bookpool (guides typically 45% off or so )

Book pool guide search

Looking for assistance: I am looking for some staff from Best Buy’s, EB’s, Gamestop’s and stores of the like. When EB Games or Gamestop has a price reduction their shelves can be empty in a day or two to even as little as just a few hours. EB and Gamestop have daily price changes so all depending on the store’s staff they could be all gone almost immediately. If I could get some staff that can either post here first thing any day that they have a price reduction on guides or that might be able to text message me with such price reductions so that I might be able to inform CAG’ers ASAP. Whether or not us the end user would actually be able to get them from a particular stores staff is very much an YMMV but if there is anyone who can help this would greatly increase the chance’s of CAG’ers being able to pick up guides from these locations. If anyone is interested and able to help please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you all for your consideration.

Thank you all for making CAG what it is and for all your contributions.

Disclaimer: This list is intended to help all guide hunters. Please feel free to print yourself a copy and get what you can find. Please do not post this list on another site. {e-mail me please if for some reason you would want to. [email protected]} Please just link to this thread, add to this list and help it grow. Thank you

all guides are now listed in the wiki please go there. thank you.

[quote name='AZPunisher']Jeeze... There were 6 Halo 2 guides that rang up as a Penny, but when the employee phoned the manager, the manager stated they are clearly marked, and to pay the cover price..

Even though the register states otherwise. What the fuck? How do I get around this?[/quote]

Which TRU did you go to? Is it the one on Ray? I went today and all the Halo 2 guides were pulled. I am assuming this because there were quite a few on Tuesday. Try buying with a game, you can always return it if you don't want it. I always try striking up a conversation with the clerk. This helps build a temporary relationship and distracts them from noticing the $.01 guide.

Beautiful work on the list so far, 66. I feel horrible because it was my idea, but I've been so sick that I've only been on a couple times and haven't even begun any work.

Anyway. I PMed you as I need to know where you started and left off and where would be best for me to begin. I take it you've been in this thread, but have you done Thread 5? If not, I can start there.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
[Pokedex Collecters Edition Guide[/QUOTE]

I tried buying this guide at an Atlanta TRU, it rang up as full price ($20+). I did notice he couldn't scan it or something, and it looked like he manually typed in the barcode.

Is it possible that some TRU's don't penny out their guides?

[quote name='paul6']I tried buying this guide at an Atlanta TRU, it rang up as full price ($20+). I did notice he couldn't scan it or something, and it looked like he manually typed in the barcode.

Is it possible that some TRU's don't penny out their guides?[/QUOTE]

same problem I think this might not have dropped. can anyone confirm getting this one ?

[quote name='guinaevere']Beautiful work on the list so far, 66. I feel horrible because it was my idea, but I've been so sick that I've only been on a couple times and haven't even begun any work.

Anyway. I PMed you as I need to know where you started and left off and where would be best for me to begin. I take it you've been in this thread, but have you done Thread 5? If not, I can start there.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was waiting for you to start, so I wouldn't have to :oops: :lol:
Its cool though, I had the time. More people were requesting this then the free mags wiki-guide right now, so I cranked it out in 1 day. Its all up-to-date now.

edit. BTW, my bf was cleaning out some old magazines, and he found some old Nintendo Power issues that were just strategy guides. One was for the first Final Fantasy game!
Its the same as this one:
8ab3_1.JPG

[quote name='zodemere2k']
5) Lastly spread some good karma around and trade with your fellow CAG members, i don't know what it is about you all here but alot of you are asking cash money for these guides, just do a trade and be cool, i've given up on it for now because i spent weeks and weeks asking for trades and only found one person that was willing, which is kinda lame, i mean geez, remember you got this info on this board so help out us other board members, for instance i didn't get any of the last drops from TRU, i'd die to have Halo 2 or Quake 4. Anyways, hope this advice helps, laterz[/quote]
How can we offer to trade with you if you don't have a trade list of your own?

[quote name='zodemere2k']I've never been denied buying a penny guide because i follow a few simple steps;

1) pick your cashier wisely, a female preferred, hopefully hot, someone who doesn't seem to like their job to much
[/QUOTE]
it is always the woman that gives me trouble. They want to make sure they dont get in trouble by calling a manager. The guys are usually the one who dont give me any problem.

[quote name='6669']Yeah, I was waiting for you to start, so I wouldn't have to :oops: :lol:
Its cool though, I had the time. More people were requesting this then the free mags wiki-guide right now, so I cranked it out in 1 day. Its all up-to-date now.

edit. BTW, my bf was cleaning out some old magazines, and he found some old Nintendo Power issues that were just strategy guides. One was for the first Final Fantasy game!
Its the same as this one:
8ab3_1.JPG
[/QUOTE]

I've got that one! Now I just need to find it. damn, I forgot all about the old Nintendo Power days of just being strat guides.

[quote name='6669']Yeah, I was waiting for you to start, so I wouldn't have to :oops: :lol:[/quote]*giggles* I can just picture us both passed out in our beds, sick and medicated, but desperately reaching towards our computers to get to work.

You did an absolutely awesome job, Sugar. Thank you. :applause:

so is a master list done and posted or because if not i would be happy to do the newest updates from this thread and add the original at a later date

[quote name='zodemere2k']I've never been denied buying a penny guide because i follow a few simple steps;

1) pick your cashier wisely, a female preferred, hopefully hot, someone who doesn't seem to like their job to much
2) always say before they ring up the item,"hey i wanted to check the price on this and see if it is on clearance", after doing this i've only had one person EVER ask why it was ringing up for a penny, with that person i just repeated that they go on clearance sometimes
3) if they give you a hassle then be cool and walk away, otherwise you will ruin it for everyone else and especially yourself
4) DON'T BE SUCH A GREEDY BASTARD, yeah that's right, don't try to walk up there with a stack of 50 guides, try to be conservative and bring a max of 4 or 5 of each guide, after making a successful purchase have your friend (you did bring a friend with you right?, derr, always have a friend who can grab a stack too) go back in and buy the rest of them but make sure he goes to the same cashier that you did so that person will already know they are a pennya nd won't trip out[/QUOTE]
That's all fine and dandy at a store such as Best Buy. TRU is a whole different thing. The guides are in the R-Zone, so you almost never have any choice as to who will be ringing you up. You can't take the guides out of the R-Zone (they often have security tags), and there is usually only one person working back there. The "clearance" thing is my standard phrase, but it never works at TRU. TRU has really strated to crack down on the whole penny guides thing, they're far too educated now, hehe.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I've got that one! Now I just need to find it. damn, I forgot all about the old Nintendo Power days of just being strat guides.[/QUOTE]
There was a year where every other issue was a strategy guide, I think they ended up releasing 4 of them. Mario 3, Final Fantasy, some football game, and something else. Seems like there should be 6, but I can't remember any more.

[quote name='SpyderGT']There was a year where every other issue was a strategy guide, I think they ended up releasing 4 of them. Mario 3, Final Fantasy, some football game, and something else. Seems like there should be 6, but I can't remember any more.[/QUOTE]

There was Ninja Gaiden 2 and then the 4-Player extra guide. It featured games such as Tecmo Football, World Cup Soccer, and Super Spike V-Ball.

[quote name='guinaevere']*giggles* I can just picture us both passed out in our beds, sick and medicated, but desperately reaching towards our computers to get to work.

You did an absolutely awesome job, Sugar. Thank you. :applause:[/QUOTE]
Thanx. I couldn't just lay in bed though :whistle2:(. I was simultaneously baby sitting while working on it. Luckily, the kid just played video games the entire time, except for the occasional question.
[quote name='Animal7390']so is a master list done and posted or because if not i would be happy to do the newest updates from this thread and add the original at a later date[/QUOTE]
Master list I'm still working on. Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend, since I still cant go to work yet.

[quote name='Purkeynator']There was Ninja Gaiden 2 and then the 4-Player extra guide. It featured games such as Tecmo Football, World Cup Soccer, and Super Spike V-Ball.[/QUOTE]
The only one's he found were the FF issue and that "Four Player Extra" issue. They used to give out strategy guides for resubscribing though. We have a couple of those, too.

BTW, if that Pokedex guide isn't pennied at TRU, LMK and I'll change the Wiki.

I also could not get the CE or pocket Pokedex books for less than regular price.

Some good guide deals from Fry's:

Soul Calibur 2 (multi) @ $1.56
Shenmue (DC) @ $4.19
Mario Party 4 (GC) @ $4.09
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 (DC) @ $0.90

EDIT: More low-priced guides from Fry's:

Mario Kart DD (GC) @ $4.90
Super Mario Advance 4 (GBA) @ $4.90
Eternal Darkness (GC) @ $2.90
Star Wars RS III Rebel Strike (GC) @ $2.01

Not really a penny guide deal, but if anyone is looking for guides, on Monday, the new marketing for GS/EB shows that all Brady/Prima strat guides are 20% off without a game purchase. Its something if you see a guide that you know won't be there when they go to a penny or won't be going to a penny for a long time.

No idea how but my TRU got more Jade Empire guides. Snagged another sealed one for a penny. I know for a fact they havent had these in months because i cleaned em out when they were originally pennied and it wasnt there a month ago.

I hit 2 TRU stores this weekend, which is kind of a feat since there isn't one within 30 miles of me. All i got were 2 Jak Combat Racing and a Quake 4 guide. Hard to argue a bit to get them to sell those to me too.

Then i went to bestbuy and picked up a Kameo and 2 X-Men III game guides. The X-men ones even had a 0.01 sticker on them.

Are the old Oblivion guides at bestbuy pennied? The ones with a sticker over the UPC. i forgot to try check today.

[quote name='Ertai']

Are the old Oblivion guides at bestbuy pennied? The ones with a sticker over the UPC. i forgot to try check today.[/quote]

No, i dont think they are yet. THey were 0 for a while because of some 9.99 off guides promo though. At least thats what i think happened.

[quote name='newtype06']just wanna double check- is Enchanted Arms pennied out in BB?[/QUOTE]

No, it was $9.99 off for a few days which made it free . . .

I have it for trade if anyone is looking for it.

And about the trade messages in this thread, I think its fine because without this thread being stickied its nice to have something to buoy it.

If anyone could get the 2 Pokemon pennied guides from TRU for me I would pay shipping and possibly some additional cost (not too much, a dollar or 2), pm me if anyone is interested in helping me out

Not a penny but I noticed Gamecrazy has certain Xbox 360 guides for $4.99. Ones pictured on the sign were Perfect Dark, Quake 4, PG3 I believe.

Sounds like they raided some TRUs for penny guides. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Purkeynator']Not a penny but I noticed Gamecrazy has certain Xbox 360 guides for $4.99. Ones pictured on the sign were Perfect Dark, Quake 4, PG3 I believe.[/quote]

[quote name='ananag112']I checked a few guides and the only pennied out one is the Sims guide.[/QUOTE]
Which Sims guide? Nightlife and Open for Business are old drops...

Checked the following guides at BB, all rang up regular price:

Madden 07 (Best Buy Version)
Madden 07 (Non-Best Buy Version)
Dead Rising
Tiger Woods 07
Scarface
Tomb Raider Legend

Wait, Prey? Wasn't that pennied?

Maybe it wasn't at BB, but all I know is that I've got 3 copies of it sitting here. I'm pretty sure it was BB, though.

[quote name='DustBoogie']Wait, Prey? Wasn't that pennied?

Maybe it wasn't at BB, but all I know is that I've got 3 copies of it sitting here. I'm pretty sure it was BB, though.[/quote]

Sorry, you're right. That was pennied, just typed it by accident. Thx

Semi-related guide note:

I complained to Best Buy via their complaint form after my local BB refused to sell me some of the .00 guides from the Prima sale last month and they sent me a $20 gift card for my trouble. LOL I guess complaining does sometimes yield you results.

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up in the event they wanted to file a complaint against BB on the site for some cheapass(free) gaming thanks to a gift card.

Oh and thanks to everyone who checked out my TL thus far, getting lots of trades and guide offers since FINALLY updating. And keep checking my TL folks.

Found a Resident Evil 4 and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas guide at a local Gamestop ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]#792) and they were still full price (16.99 & 17.99 but don't remember which was which) confirmed at the register.
[/FONT]

[quote name='Purkeynator']Not a penny but I noticed Gamecrazy has certain Xbox 360 guides for $4.99. Ones pictured on the sign were Perfect Dark, Quake 4, PG3 I believe.[/QUOTE]

No one should get a PGR 3 guide from them, I have a number of them just sitting on a shelf. If you want one I'll ship them out for you for like $3.50.

Fyi, The Sims 2 and Madden NFL 07 (nonBB version) are .01, went to a couple in my area but only scored a few of each. At one of the stores that's farthest away from me has the smallest population around and it was a total ghost town for guides, must not be a big enough market to carry alot of them!

p.s. i've seen a post or two on a couple other huge forums and they looked like info that came from here and i was gonna say that on some topics we should try to keep only here at CAG because this site was the birth place of some of these topics like this one and out of gratitude it should be kept only here imo.

[quote name='zodemere2k']Fyi, The Sims 2 and Madden NFL 07 (nonBB version) are .01, went to a couple in my area but only scored a few of each. At one of the stores that's farthest away from me has the smallest population around and it was a total ghost town for guides, must not be a big enough market to carry alot of them!

p.s. i've seen a post or two on a couple other huge forums and they looked like info that came from here and i was gonna say that on some topics we should try to keep only here at CAG because this site was the birth place of some of these topics like this one and out of gratitude it should be kept only here imo.[/QUOTE]

Would you be at liberty to post a link or several to these other sites that have hosted a vein of this thread. If so it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Picked up condemmed and the godfather today @ BB. Man, its been awhile since picked up some penny guides...anyone have a dead rising for trade or know if it has been pennied?

i work at best buy and i am looking at inventory right now and the next 2 that i think will drop are tomb raider: legend and enchanted arms and no dead rising hasnt been pennied out yet and i dont think they will for a while but who knows

Though not a penny, CompUSA has many guide for $5. I picked up the guide to Mercenaries since it would probably cost me $5 anyways to get it from a site like half.com. Not too bad.

Some CC Prices on guides as of this post and my CC:

Zelda Minish 1.96
FF I&II DOS 1.58
Paper Mario TTYD (non-GH version) 2.96
Battalion Wars 3.96

Non-penny guide related, but ummm what would people on here pay shipped for a FFVIII guide? I've seen a copy for sale at a local shop for $5. So, sadly, it would have to be closer to $10 or so shipped to give me a couple bucks for running down to grab it.

Any idea guys? This guide is near pristine, btw.

This same store also has Star Fox Assault, Metroid: Zero Mission and other guides I haven't seen anywhere else in a long time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Non-penny guide related, but ummm what would people on here pay shipped for a FFVIII guide? I've seen a copy for sale at a local shop for $5. So, sadly, it would have to be closer to $10 or so shipped to give me a couple bucks for running down to grab it.

Any idea guys? This guide is near pristine, btw.

This same store also has Star Fox Assault, Metroid: Zero Mission and other guides I haven't seen anywhere else in a long time.[/QUOTE]
I've seen it at a few book stores here for the $15 cover price, so probably not too much higher than that. You might wanna check eBay prices, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back