Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nirron']He lied. It was quite a few weeks ago. First post tells me that it was Jan 29th, so I'm surprised a GS still had a pennied guide lying around 2 months after pennying. Of course, all six GameStops close by pull theirs nearly instantly, so I guess others might be quite different.[/quote]

I suspected as much. That attempt was a motherlode, 3 to 5 of each (except MK). What good is leaving all those guides out just to deny the sale.:cry:

Incredible luck for me that the GS I went to during lunch actually had copies of ToS DotNW.

The girl at the register took one look at it when I handed it over to her and said "oh wait, let me check on this one". I was like, "ruh roh", but then she came back, smiled, and said "here, you can just take it" and proceeded to bag it up for me. Didn't even bother with the penny.

Thanks Op!
Found at least one of each at one store that just took them out to the dumpster...
I have two other stores that normally have most titles if I arrive on day one...
One store now has a new manager...who very sternly notified me "I destroyed! them this morning before opening!" lol...Ok!
at another store where I get to choose after staff members...(which is fine by me)...they had already ripped the covers and tossed them...said there is a big crack down and they could lose their jobs...
I feel lucky to find the ones I did! lol my first dumpter dive! (not really, as they were all in a box on top...
VChronicles (scored more than one of this and Tales) is what I really wanted after finding a mint copy of the game during buy two get one..

Oh and one store staff member said there was a Star Ocean pennied (he looked it up for me but his store did not have any copies) but that it was not the 360 version...

P4 will be mine! I can never get actual penny guides there anymore though :(

[quote name='punkmaggit']Will head out tomorrow. Missing out on the P3 guides, I'm not passing up this opportunity. DoubleJump guides are notoriously difficult to find when they penny out.[/QUOTE]

Except Genji. Genji was God damned everywhere....

That reminds me I'm still missing a couple DJ guides. Might have to bite the bullet and order up. They're doing eguides now too, but I want my collection complete.

Also, this one is gonna hurt: http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/prinny-the-official-strategy-guide/6398861

Prinny guide, 75 pages, 35.00.... ouch.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Will head out tomorrow. Missing out on the P3 guides, I'm not passing up this opportunity. DoubleJump guides are notoriously difficult to find when they penny out.[/QUOTE]

Except Genji. Genji was God damned everywhere....

That reminds me I'm still missing a couple DJ guides. Might have to bite the bullet and order up. They're doing eguides now too, but I want my collection complete.

Also, this one is gonna hurt: http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/prinny-the-official-strategy-guide/6398861

Prinny guide, 75 pages, 35.00.... ouch.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']ok.....had a bunch of stuff to do today....what exactly dropped @ GS?[/quote]

Papa's list for sure....

Does anyone know if BB dropped yet? I was there yesterday and noticed that the left and middle UPCs on the Prince of Perisa LE guides with crossed out with a marker. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't get them scanned, but... I just found it odd.

Sounds like the stores that put stickers over the UPCs that they aren't supposed to scan. But they got super cheap in this case and used a Sharpie. :lol:

A couple of questions.

Was it only Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness that was pennied? How about Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility? They both released around the same time.

Maybe it was Star Ocean: First Departure rather than Star Ocean: Second Evolution that got pennied?

HM: Tree of Tranquility was full price. I did not price First Departure since it was on the web site, but since most of the GS I hit had pulled guides and First Departure was on the rack (with no pennied guides) I assume it was full price.

If there is any CAG that wants the Persona 4 guide for cost plus shipping, PM me. I ran across more than 5 today. Shipping and tax probably kills it, but I know some have had a rough go at scoring one.

[quote name='donut']Papa's list for sure....[/quote]

Thanks....can anyone add to this list:

Harvest Moon Island of Hapiness
Tales of Symphonia
Valkyria Chronicles
Blue Dragon Plus
WoW Atlas 2nd
WoW Atlas Burning Crusade
Midnight Club: LA
Resistance 2

I'll alphabetize and drop it in the second post, but if anyone can add any other ones, I'll be sure to put them in there as well.

EDIT: Second post is updated with the list from Papa Smerf, but does anyone know the exact titles of the Blue Dragon and Tales Of Symphonia guides?

Picked up the last copy of blue dragon plus at a local GS. It was hidden behind another guide at the counter.
The clerk told me that they were instructed to destroy those penny guides, and they cut bunch of Zelda guides up last time. My heart still aches from hearing that....

[quote name='PapaSmerf']HM: Tree of Tranquility was full price. I did not price First Departure since it was on the web site, but since most of the GS I hit had pulled guides and First Departure was on the rack (with no pennied guides) I assume it was full price.[/QUOTE]

I checked both First Departure and Last Hope (the 360 one) and both guides were full price.

Seems all the drops this week were Brady guides, so perhaps we're looking at a Prima pennying next week?

Keeping my eye on Dead Space, Oblivion GOTY, Mirror's Edge, Prince of Persia (both standard and LE), FallOut 3 LE, MGS4, and white cover Twilight Princess (though when are these last two gonna finally penny? geez)

[quote name='Nirron']Seems all the drops this week were Brady guides, so perhaps we're looking at a Prima pennying next week?[/quote]

That's usually how they do it :D. Odd that it happened on a Wednesday though.

I unbelievably scored some guides yesterday - the clerk mentioned that "someone forgot to do inventory!" So I got Harvest Moon DS IoH and, what I wanted, Tales of Symphonia Wii. I did see Resistence 2 but there was no confirmation when I had left. I'm not trying for it though, I just got by on the guides yesterday.

[quote name='punkmaggit']That's usually how they do it :D. Odd that it happened on a Wednesday though.[/quote]They've done guides drops in the middle of the week before, though sometimes, they have it ready to go for Mon/Tue and something else delays it.

Though, I think we should be getting a Prima drop next week. Would be some decent ones that penny out this go-round.

In other news, took three GS stores to find a Persona 4 guide. First one didn't have it, second had it, though some kid had ripped off the cover and the first five pages of it :)bomb:) and the third one had it, thankfully.

Though, it was pretty funny to get carded for a M-rated guide. :lol: As I haven't been 18 for 21 years now, seems like the only time I get carded is for video games. :whistle2:s

[quote name='punkmaggit']That's usually how they do it :D. Odd that it happened on a Wednesday though.[/quote]

I know, it threw me off my game. Plus, Wednesdays are horrible for me to try and score guides. At least Thursdays I can usually take a break around noon (EST) and pray that the closest stores haven't taken everything yet.

Guess I'll have to keep on my toes next week. Hopefully there'll be a few nice drops. I've had my eye on the PoP LE. I dunno what it is, but it just has a nice aesthetic appeal, aside from me actually wanting it to use for visual reference of all those damn light spheres.

I picked up Pro Evo Soccer '09 for PS3 and pre-ordered a DSi with them...

The same guy that gave me some guides last time was working at the local GS and he was nice enough to run to the backroom to get be the guides when I asked him about Blue Dragon + and told me about the ones he had in the back that dropped...got BD+, Tales of Symphonia, HM IoH, Resistance 2, and Valkryia Chronicles! He remembered I was there last time they had guides dropped too =P

[quote name='shrike4242']Though, it was pretty funny to get carded for a M-rated guide. :lol: As I haven't been 18 for 21 years now, seems like the only time I get carded is for video games. :whistle2:s[/quote]

I had to wonder for a split second when I got carded whether he did it because he had to or because he wanted to LOL at the 29-YO guy buying a P4 strategy guide. :lol:

I went to three Gamestop stores yesterday and had no luck. :( (I even checked dumpsters).

I'm sticking to Best Buy drops from here on out. I just really wanted a Valkyria Chronicles guide.

[quote name='Doomstink']I'm sticking to Best Buy drops from here on out.[/quote]

Probably not a bad idea. The only caveat is that Gamestop gets a lot of guides BB does not (most DoubleJump guides, some RPG guides, etc.).

As for the dumpster diving at least perhaps now you can justify your moniker. :lol:

OK i actually just recently started to follow this post. And amazlingly i check here for the first time went out and got 3 mario kart guides from bbv. Wow i was hooked! Went to 3 gamestops yesterday first one nothing 2nd one Bam! Resistance2, Valkyria Chronicles, and Tales. Grabbed 1 of each walked up he scanned them asked the other guy if this was right and the guy said "we are not aloud to sell these to the public they were supposed to be removed and destroyed " and he refused to sell me these i tred to argue to no avail. 3rd Store had nothing, but CAN THEY DO THAT?

[quote name='lilpunker7406']CAN THEY DO THAT?[/quote]

They CAN and more often than not, DO. This time around, I heard several times that they could be fired for selling the pennied guides. When they will sell them to me it is usually a manager or assistant manager behind the counter.

[quote name='fairtrade']I had to wonder for a split second when I got carded whether he did it because he had to or because he wanted to LOL at the 29-YO guy buying a P4 strategy guide. :lol:[/quote]What, are they not teaching math in school anymore? :lol:

18 + 21 != 29, 18 + 21 = 39 ;)

The story was that they card everyone for M-rated games and game guides, and that his boss makes him do it. Said boss standing right behind him, of course. :roll:

Not a bad trip.. got all guides from GS. 1 GS just put the guides on the counter and let everybody take it but they only have Blue Dragon left, another GS 5 miles down haven't done their inventory yet so I managed to grab 1 copy of each. Thanks all.

Oh yeah, also saw that P4 for 9.99.. so if anybody wants it, I'm probably can pick it up and just pay cost + shipping. Can we return guides back to GS, if it's still in the plastic?

[quote name='shrike4242']The story was that they card everyone for M-rated games and game guides, and that his boss makes him do it. Said boss standing right behind him, of course. :roll:[/quote]

Haha, I love when that happens and they're like "sorry, it's policy." I do get a little annoyed when they seem like they legitimately think I can be 16, though. I'm only 22, but I've never even been carded at a liquor store!

And in penny guide related business, another Prima guide I think we should look out for is the Animal Crossing: Wild World guide. I'm not too sure about that one, though, since it's one of those guides they might end up keeping for many many months.

[quote name='loserboy']My guys always take care of me...picked up one of each at gamestop yesterday.[/quote]

Yeah, that's really the way to get these guides. If you go to the stores often enough, you can build up a great rapport with the employees. As soon as I walked into the store closest to my office yesterday, one employee greeted me, shook my hand, and told me some guides had pennied. I played a couple rounds of SFIV with him, grabbed a couple guides I wanted and was on my way. Of course, it probably helps that I spend a good amount of money in this store, too, and don't only go for penny guides.

[quote name='loserboy']My guys always take care of me...picked up one of each at gamestop yesterday.[/quote]

Yeah, that's really the way to get these guides. If you go to the stores often enough, you can build up a great rapport with the employees. As soon as I walked into the store closest to my office yesterday, one employee greeted me, shook my hand, and told me some guides had pennied. I played a couple rounds of SFIV with him, grabbed a couple guides I wanted and was on my way. Of course, it probably helps that I spend a good amount of money in this store, too, and don't only go for penny guides.

[quote name='Rave Child']Haha, I love when that happens and they're like "sorry, it's policy." I do get a little annoyed when they seem like they legitimately think I can be 16, though. I'm only 22, but I've never even been carded at a liquor store![/quote]

That would be great if they denied me of the purchase if it were a Sunday (you can't sell alcohol in TX on a Sunday, why wouldn't the same apply to M-rated video games and accesories?).

"Sir? I'm afraid there is a slight problem with your ID..."

mclovin.jpg

[quote name='fairtrade']That would be great if they denied me of the purchase if it were a Sunday (you can't sell alcohol in TX on a Sunday, why wouldn't the same apply to M-rated video games and accesories?).[/quote]

Pardon me, sir. What exactly is an M-rated accessory?

[quote name='dyeknom']Pardon me, sir. What exactly is an M-rated accessory?[/quote]Game guide for a M-rated game is the only thing that comes to mind.

I went out last night to pick up persona 4 guide from the two stores that have them based on gamestop's website. When i got there, they can still see the guide on their inventory but they cannot locate it. Both stores told me that someone might have stolen it.

Anyway, I was able to grab Valkyria as a consolation.

Thanks!

I went out last night to pick up persona 4 guide from the two stores that have them based on gamestop's website. When i got there, they can still see the guide on their inventory but they cannot locate it. Both stores told me that someone might have stolen it.

Not sure if this helps, but the same thing almost happened to me, until I reminded them that the Persona 4 guide is smaller in size than the regular ones. The guy helping me then remembered exactly where they were in the back room.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I just figured out the In Store Locater for Best Buy to get stock information for guides not posted on their website. Worked for the Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition Guide, as well as Penny Guides. Will post instructions if people want.

Yeah give us the details about the best buy guides

speaking of, I was at BB today and noticed an employee was pulling a ton of older guides off the shelf onto a cart. I noticed Halo 3 and some other guides that hadn't been pennied yet but would probably be next if they penny in a semi-chronological order. I didn't ask him if they were pennied, maybe I should have, but I've always had good luck scoring penny guides at this store so I didn't want to push my luck. Anybody else know or see anything like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back