Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Doomstink']1. The lurkers don't know where I live.
2. They can have fun trying all of the 100+ used bookstores in my area because I didn't name the place.[/quote]

[quote name='shoe478']1. Raleigh
2. Probably Ed McKay's[/quote]

Cool, I'm on my way there right now. I'm expecting to really clean up. Thanks a bunch!

[quote name='gordojones88']Cool, I'm on my way there right now. I'm expecting to really clean up. Thanks a bunch![/quote]

Don't bother, they should change their name to eBay or Amazon because that seems to be what they base their prices on.

[quote name='shoe478']Don't bother, they should change their name to eBay or Amazon because that seems to be what they base their prices on.[/quote]

You got the location right, but I don't trade into Ed McKays for the exact reason you just mentioned. Believe it or not, other book stores take game guides.

To those People I've offered money to (and even cheap games) for Gears 2 and Fable 2, looks like you should have taken the offer. IMO.
At least on Gears 2.
Now that gamestop has it for 9.99 (I could care less that it's not the LE version), I won't be sending any more pms. I'm sure fable 2 will follow suit soon.
AND to those expecting the LE guides to become collectors items worth $100 on ebay, GOOD LUCK. That just doesn't happen with "mass produced" merchandise.

[quote name='sunnysky']To those People I've offered money to (and even cheap games) for Gears 2 and Fable 2, looks like you should have taken the offer. IMO.
At least on Gears 2.
Now that gamestop has it for 9.99 (I could care less that it's not the LE version), I won't be sending any more pms. I'm sure fable 2 will follow suit soon.
AND to those expecting the LE guides to become collectors items worth $100 on ebay, GOOD LUCK. That just doesn't happen with "mass produced" merchandise.[/QUOTE]

I realize you are mad at people who wouldn't help you out with the Gears 2/Fable 2 LE guides, but your post really doesn't help this thread at all.
And just for argument: All merchandise people are looking for on a site like this is massed prodcued, but some of it is produced in smaller quantities and in time becomes rare and sought after. LE guides certainly foot the bill for that. check the price on the MGS4 LE guide, for instance.

[quote name='sunnysky']To those People I've offered money to (and even cheap games) for Gears 2 and Fable 2, looks like you should have taken the offer. IMO.
At least on Gears 2.
AND to those expecting the LE guides to become collectors items worth $100 on ebay, GOOD LUCK. That just doesn't happen with "mass produced" merchandise.[/quote]

I put up for trade (emphasis on trade) my only copy of both of those guides based on your first post you made warning the same and could only manage to work out a 1 for 1 trade for a non LE/CE guide for each. For the most part, I'm not going out of my way to get $5 to $10 for my only copy or trade for something I don't want or need. I guess I had to experience it for myself, but I must agree with (I believe it was IATCG) who posted these exact sentiments to your first post. I hope I don't start using BOLD RED font any time soon;).

Last edited by a moderator:
At least on Gears 2.
AND to those expecting the LE guides to become collectors items worth $100 on ebay, GOOD LUCK. That just doesn't happen with "mass produced" merchandise.[/quote]

LOL. It seems like you might not know about, so I was going to chirp in that LE/CE are worth more holding onto,
so we can trade for LE/CE guides we want but didn't score off of future penny drops. But taken from your own CML :

I will come up with a price, if asked for, but it's likely to be higher than you want,
because most titles are better used as bargaining power for trades.
But I will want to make what I see as a reasonable profit.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I was able to get a beat up copy of Symphonia, still need to track down Valkyria...[/quote]

I'm not quite sure but there was a post yesterday about Valkyria. It was a good deal to say the least. I can't seem to remember which merchant was selling it. I'm a very forgetful person, lol.

wambulance.jpg

This place is starting to turn into a hellhole like the Target clearance thread. Looks like I have no place for solace.

But, to stay on topic, I tried my damnest, but did not find any Gamestop penny guides. I, however, found some of the old Gamecrazy drops which I was promptly refused on (actually, not refused, but they were overriding the price without telling me) I then point blank asked him why he would try to override the price that the guides were coming up as. Then he said it was a penny to signify those are supposed to be taken off the shelf. I then told him the drops were three weeks old and demanded to know why they were on the shelf. He kind of stuttered and said, "Pardon?" I repeated it again. He said they were busy. I LOLed and left. Nice fellow, he could have turned into super-dick, but I don't appreciate it when they try to override the guides to full price and act like nothing happened.

I went to another Game Crazy where they pulled all of the guides except for Sonic and the Secret Rings, which I grabbed along with a gut-shot feeling of the double Jump guide of Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. That came up as 7.99, but still thought it was a decent price so I grabbed. The guy tried to coerce a preorder out of me "Instead of changing the price on this guide, I'm just going to get you setup with a preorder, what did you want?" I gently maneuvered my way out of that one (I really wanted the Sonic guide) and eventually he let me have it for a penny and laughed about how he missed that guide when he handled the drops. Nice guy, but again, what is it with Gamecrazy saying such authoritive statements? We're going to get you a preorder, so what did you want? GTFO. Third time this year I've heard something like that from GC.

At least on Gears 2.

There are SO many possibilities I could go with, but I think I'll go with the classic: SHUT THE fuck UP!!!!! Just because no one wanted your useless shit for an LE version of a guide, don't get your panties in a bunch.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']There are SO many possibilities I could go with, but I think I'll go with the classic: SHUT THE fuck UP!!!!! Just because no one wanted your useless shit for an LE version of a guide, don't get your panties in a bunch.[/quote]

No one could have said it any better.

Really man. If no one wanted to trade your games for guides before what makes you think they would want to do it now?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']There are SO many possibilities I could go with, but I think I'll go with the classic: SHUT THE fuck UP!!!!! Just because no one wanted your useless shit for an LE version of a guide, don't get your panties in a bunch.[/quote]

Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back