Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukafls']Not a reduced one, but are the Crazy Taxi, Zombie Revenge, and House of the Dead 2 guide worth any money????[/quote]
You got lucky cuz Link927 was bored... but for future reference
www. ebay. com

No, they're not really worth much more than a few bucks.

[quote name='Link927']I dont think thats off topic at all. This thread is for reduced game guides, not just pennied guides. We have the ocassional post for $4.99 or $9.99 guides, I'd pick up a guide at that price if I'd really like it. So dont be afraid to post guides that are cheaper but not pennied.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. That Orange Box guide drop to $4.99 was awesome, and I bit. Totally worth it. The guide was originally priced at $25.

$5 is the sweet spot for strategy guides, I'd be willing to pay full price for them if they were always at that price. Paying up to $30 for an oversized instruction manual is ridiculous.

Nintendo Power version of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn at BB still 9.99, I'm praying they drop the hardcover Phantom Hourglass sometime soon. They have it marked at 14.99 (same with their copy of hardcover Super Mario Galaxy) but I really don't want to bite till it hits lower than 10.

[quote name='freshzen']weirdness @ best buy:
burnout paradise 38 pennys
unreal tournament iii 95 pennys

I can't afford these discounted prices =P[/quote]

I'm lucky then, cause I got 2-3 copies of Burnout: Paradise when it was still just .01. I don't know why the hell they put them at these random prices, but if it's a sign of how they're going to clear them out from now on, I like it since it's better than the usual penny price in that most people have seen stuff priced @ .30 or a buck.

Pro Evolution Soccer 08 is another weird one, as it comes up as .03.

[quote name='slowdive21']I checked out a couple of BB today and noticed neither one had the FF XII guide anymore.[/quote]

I scanned my local FFXII on monday or tuesday... it came up at $19.99. :bomb:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm lucky then, cause I got 2-3 copies of Burnout: Paradise when it was still just .01. I don't know why the hell they put them at these random prices, but if it's a sign of how they're going to clear them out from now on, I like it since it's better than the usual penny price in that most people have seen stuff priced @ .30 or a buck.

Pro Evolution Soccer 08 is another weird one, as it comes up as .03.[/QUOTE]

I think this is definitely good news. It basically makes it impossible for them to refuse a sale (since it's no longer a penny). Then again, I never had any problems getting penny items from BB to begin with...

Grabbed some more penny guides at a GC across town (Spider Man 3, Transformers, & Call of Duty 3) and I tried to grab Guitar Hero II which was on the master list, but it rang up full price. ???

Of other worthy mention is that particular GC I went to had a SEALED copy of Etrian Odyssey. Needless to say I grabbed it and it's sitting on my shelf next to my used cart-only copy. I'm ecstatic!!

Picked up at Circuit City: *The look on the cashiers face was priceless
Viva Pinata
Rock Band
Army of Two

Picked up at BestBuy:
Crysis
Condemned 2

Thanks a bunch OP

[quote name='Josef']I think this is definitely good news. It basically makes it impossible for them to refuse a sale (since it's no longer a penny). Then again, I never had any problems getting penny items from BB to begin with...[/quote]

My local BB's are different each time I go there. If the one red headed media manager is working, my chances are slim to nil. If he isn't working though, I may actually get away with a couple guides. The only real variable that makes it even more difficult almost every time I go there are the cashiers, which seem to change every time I go there anymore. :roll:

Most times though, I'll actually aim for a male cashier, since the female ones seem too eager to 'call a manager' when something rings up a cent.

In general, the best stores for actually selling you the pennt guides go:
Best Buy > Circuit City > Gamecrazy > GameStop
Gamestop is usually the best at pulling penny guides, and everytime I've managed to find one, they never give it to me for a penny.

EDIT: Yeah. I meant Gamecrazy, not Gamerush.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']In general, the best stores for actually selling you the pennt guides go:
Best Buy > Circuit City > Gamerush > GameStop
Gamestop is usually the best at pulling penny guides, and everytime I've managed to find one, they never give it to me for a penny.[/quote]

I'm assuming you mean GameCrazy and not Gamerush, since if I remember correctly, Gamerush/Blockbuster pull the guides FIRST and then mark them as .01 in the system.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Most times though, I'll actually aim for a male cashier, since the female ones seem too eager to 'call a manager' when something rings up a cent.[/quote]

See, my experiences say exactly the opposite. Get the female cashiers 15 ~ 25 years old and you're golden :D

[quote name='punkmaggit']See, my experiences say exactly the opposite. Get the female cashiers 15 ~ 25 years old and you're golden :D[/quote]

Same here. I always flash my Rewards Zone card too, since that always seems to be their concern, not the pennied guide ;)

[quote name='punkmaggit']See, my experiences say exactly the opposite. Get the female cashiers 15 ~ 25 years old and you're golden :D[/quote]

Yep, same deal here. This and male teenagers, as they'll likely run out and grab a few pennied guides as soon as they finish ringing you up.

I have to agree with IAmTheCheapestGamer here. Males are usually the one who pretend they know what they are doing and dont call a manager

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Hmm... how long has the Fire Emblem Wii guide been off the BestBuy site?[/quote]
Since atleast September 7th, when I satrted keeping track.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Which guides did you check?[/quote]

I checked the paper that came out of the printer with all the price changs on it for today. (I work there in the Media dept). :bouncy:

[quote name='fuss']I checked the paper that came out of the printer with all the price changs on it for today. (I work there in the Media dept). :bouncy:[/quote]

excellent.

[quote name='fuss']I checked the paper that came out of the printer with all the price changs on it for today. (I work there in the Media dept). :bouncy:[/quote]
That is quite handy. Now I feel like a sucker for driving down there to check. Atleast I got some NG2 Wallgraffix and a Rock Band 2 t-shirt from CC.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']That is quite handy. Now I feel like a sucker for driving down there to check. Atleast I got some NG2 Wallgraffix and a Rock Band 2 t-shirt from CC.[/quote]

How much was the Rock band 2 t-shirt?

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']So how do you guys find out about these guides? Just walk in-store and search for them?[/quote]

Look for an older guide and ask for a price check. There are a few here that we've been eyeing, so if you follow the thread you can find what we foresee to be the next possible drops.

Also, in BB's case, we check the website to see if the guide is still in stock or backordered. That helps us find potentials.

Maybe Fuss can work out a system with one of us where he gives us the dropped items over the phone that morning and we post it for him that day, as a way to get there before they pull hopefully? I'd volunteer for it if it helps.

Someone should make a run over to GS today.

I just had a text message show up from another CAG, letting me know about a guide drop.

Possible candidates:

FFXII Revenant Wings
Okami
Incredible Hulk
WWE (something)
Bourne Conspiracy

... a few others maybe.

[quote name='Coyotezeye']How much was the Rock band 2 t-shirt?[/quote]

My CC has a basket near the game section that just says "Free" and they drop off pre-order bonuses there after the game comes out :D

[quote name='shrike4242']Someone should make a run over to GS today.

I just had a text message show up from another CAG, letting me know about a guide drop.

Possible candidates:

FFXII Revenant Wings
Okami
Incredible Hulk
WWE (something)
Bourne Conspiracy

... a few others maybe.[/quote]

I'm assuming this is Okami for the Wii, correct? I'll make a quick stop after work and see if I can't confirm any of this.

Possible candidates:

FFXII Revenant Wings
Okami
Incredible Hulk
WWE (something)
Bourne Conspiracy

I'll do one better and give a call to a store I used to frequesnt and ask - and before anyone gives me flak for this, this is a store that likes me, they are friends of mine, they have no qualms giving me guides, so this won't arise any problems.

[quote name='Chronis']Does anyone know if the Final Fantasy XII LE guide is pennied at GS? I saw one lone one... sitting there... wanting an owner....[/quote]

One of the closer GS stores to me still has their stack of about 20 of these things sitting on the shelf, all lonely and unpurchased. :roll: I guess they REALLY thought those guides were going to move, since another GS about 20-25 minutes away has 15-25 of these as well.

It's a shame that they're going to end up in the dumpster eventually.

Possible candidates:

FFXII Revenant Wings
Okami
Incredible Hulk
WWE (something)
Bourne Conspiracy

Thanks op, my local store had all but Okami :roll:

The Good: My local Houston Circuit City was like an untouched paradise (Meyerland if anyone's looking). Multiples of each guide from the last drop there. I'm playing VP right now and the wife just finished New SMB and wanted to see what she missed. Score!

The Bad: The notice on my door when I got back that my apartment is structurally unsound and I have 5 days to move.

Way to suck the air out of a sweet CAG haul, Ike, you jerk.

Possible candidates:

FFXII Revenant Wings
Okami
Incredible Hulk
WWE (something)
Bourne Conspiracy

I snagged one of each of all of these today at my Gamestop except Okami. The list is good and they are all a penny. The WWE one is Smack Down Vs Raw 2008.

The manager of the store is very friendly and incredibly nice - she always holds one of each for me and never even charges for them. I cannot speak highly enough of the 2 Gamestops I frequent - the staff are all really nice and very cool indeed.

Happy hunting guys......

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Okami has been pennied out for a while already since I got it last spring for a penny and it should be on the list[/quote]Depends if this is the Wii version of the guide or not.

That detail I didn't find out about.

[quote name='gripper']I snagged one of each of all of these today at my Gamestop except Okami. The list is good and they are all a penny. The WWE one is Smack Down Vs Raw 2008.

The manager of the store is very friendly and incredibly nice - she always holds one of each for me and never even charges for them. I cannot speak highly enough of the 2 Gamestops I frequent - the staff are all really nice and very cool indeed.

Happy hunting guys......[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, how did you bring up $0.01 guides to the manager that you know?

I'm friendly with a manager at my local GS as well. I always do pre-orders with him and make sure that most of my business is done with him which is good for his numbers. He always greets me as I come in and we talk games etc (I know this is standard protocol for all GS CSRs but he's genuinely friendly about it unlike some of the others).

I'm just wondering what I should say so that I could maybe get him to save me some guides without drawing attention to CAG. Any ideas?

[quote name='Visc']and confirmed - all but Okami at least (they were out)[/quote]

ditto. The guy I talked to said him and his buddy already grabbed the Okami's (d'oh!) Shucks, who wants that IGN cover anyway? :roll:

I can confirm that list is good too.

The first store I went to had all but FF12 Revenant Wings. I bring 2 copies of Okami, one Bourne Conspiracy and one Hulk. The guy that helps me is a total douche. He rings up each of them and gives me that look.

"Um...do you work for the company?" he says.

I reply "No, I don't."

He gives me this dribble that he can't sell the guides and that they have to dump them. This was the same fuck face that when asked if they can call another store for an item, he gives me the number and makes me call. However, he lets me go JUST this once and gives me a copy of Okami and the Hulk.

I go over to store #2 where I look for the guides and lo and behold, they are stacked with .1 cent tags. The staff was really friendly and let me get as many guides as I wanted. I picked up 2 Bourne Conspiracy, 1 Hulk and 2 WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 guides. They were even encouraging me to take the entire stack and donate it to a library (which I'll probably do someday since my duplicates take so much damn space). Overall, I will frequent this Gamestop when penny guides are reported.

BTW, if anyone is interested, the store with the douchebag denying me the guides is the Sunnyvale, CA store. If any of you are reading, fuck you guys. You have the worst customer service in the world. Makes me wanna go back, get your damn name and report to corporate.

Enough ranting. Get those guides while you can folks. :cool:

--Michael

Added the Sept. 23rd drop info. Thanks to Shrike and whoever the CAG was who texted him with the list. I put in the Okami Wii version for now, until we find out if it was that or the original version of the guide that dropped.

Thanks to all who provide info on drops, without you guys this thread wouldn't be possible(unless all of us went out and scanned guides every day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back