Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It kinda looked like someone pulled it from the shelves & put it behind the counter (where they keep the rest of the stuff ppl just sold back). I think most of the time they either forget to pull them from the shelves, or they've already pulled them and are in the back room, not in the front. This one, however, did have a $0.01 price sticker on it...so I'm guessing someone stuck it on by mistake, and then another person put it behind the counter.

Thanks Ops.
Found all at GS but ACreed
Today picked up the regular (not limited/hardback) version of Mass Effect at GS for $.01 (stickered) they had two but I just took one....

[quote name='cheapbastard']Went to GStop to check out the guides but they didnt have any like always. Anyways I overheard the 2 employees talking since I was the only one there. One of them mentioned to the other one "Oh by the way the Hellboy guide got pennied out today so you can take them home if u want theyr in the back" So somebody might want to check that out if theyr interested. Im done with pennied out guides at GStop.[/quote]I can confirm that Hellboy has been pennied.

[quote name='fuss']No drops at BB today.

I will be on vacation starting today and will miss any drops that may happen on Monday and next Friday. But I shall return after that.[/quote]

You didn't clear that with us! What are we supposed to do now!?:whee:

[quote name='donut']Thanks Ops.
Found all at GS but ACreed
Today picked up the regular (not limited/hardback) version of Mass Effect at GS for $.01 (stickered) they had two but I just took one....[/quote]

I checked the regular Mass Effect at two different GS on Tues and Weds and they were scanning regular price. It was discussed earlier that it's not unusual for them to penny the LEs before the regulars. Either they just dropped the regular on Thurs or Friday, or your store got overzealous and put penny stickers on *all* the ME guides. I'm guessing the latter, but I guess we'll see soon.

went to gamecrazy and found animal crossing wild world. the guy that helped me adjusted the price to reflect the price in the upc code. he said, they were instructed to adjust the price if it rings up as penny. i ended up buying it without resistance since my wife likes the game. i hate our local gamecrazy :(

Actually the gamecrazy here in Union City CA. and the surrounding areas have all been instructed to do the same. The CC here and the local bestbuys are now stickering the guides so that when it comes out to be a penny the cashier could change them to the stickered price.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The Hellboy guide that dropped is the Science Of Evil one, right? Just wondering, since I'll add it to the drop list for GS if it is pennied.[/quote]Yes, that is correct. :)

[quote name='oni-link']Actually the gamecrazy here in Union City CA. and the surrounding areas have all been instructed to do the same. The CC here and the local bestbuys are now stickering the guides so that when it comes out to be a penny the cashier could change them to the stickered price.[/quote]

Stickering them with what? I don't think anything prevented cashiers at Best Buy before from changing the price at the register from the scanned price to the printed price: it happened to me once (and fortunately, only once).

IAmTheCheapestGamer ~ Actually, the Hellboy: Science of Evil guide dropped during the week of 09/23/08 (but it could've been on the 25th, not the 23rd). I know this for sure because my ex coworker told me about it. Another guide (book actually) that dropped with the Hellboy guide at GameStop is called Video Game Careers (ISBN 0-7615-5705-9) [this one is about the size of the Operation Darkness and Disgaea guides].

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']IAmTheCheapestGamer ~ Actually, the Hellboy: Science of Evil guide dropped during the week of 09/23/08 (but it could've been on the 25th, not the 23rd). I know this for sure because my ex coworker told me about it. Another guide (book actually) that dropped with the Hellboy guide at GameStop is called Video Game Careers (ISBN 0-7615-5705-9) [this one is about the size of the Operation Darkness and Disgaea guides].[/quote]

I got Hellboy: Science of Evil, The Incredible Hulk, and Video Game Careers (2 of those) for free at a local Northern VA GS. At first they said they had to trash them but then I reminded them that I had just spent >$100 at their location during the B2G1 sale so they gave them to me.

As an aside, if there are any Northern VA CAGs with guides to trade, please send me a message. Man, I would love to get Bioshock on the cheap so I can finish that game! :)

Best,
James

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']IAmTheCheapestGamer ~ Actually, the Hellboy: Science of Evil guide dropped during the week of 09/23/08 (but it could've been on the 25th, not the 23rd). I know this for sure because my ex coworker told me about it. Another guide (book actually) that dropped with the Hellboy guide at GameStop is called Video Game Careers (ISBN 0-7615-5705-9) [this one is about the size of the Operation Darkness and Disgaea guides].[/quote]

As long as the second post is updated with the items that dropped, I don't think it really matters much what specific day they pennied. As for the Video Game Careers book, I held off on adding that one since it has zero to do with an actual game.

To James In VA, I have the Bioshock guide on my TL, do you have anything to trade for it, like some guides?

Thank you guys so much the one and only guide that I've been eying for so long finally dropped. Assassin's Creed LE. I checked out 3 different GS, and nobody had any, I happened to go by a usually busy store today, and as one of the female cashiers was walking in the back, I asked her if she had any? She came back out with the regular guide, I asked in my nicest, innocent customer voice possible if they had the one with the artbook, and she came back out with it. Super smiles

I almost turned into Howard Dean, but I kept my composure.

Once again thank you guys so much for keeping this thread and updating the Wiki. It's not curing cancer or anything but it definitely brings joy to this gamer...

Peace

Man, I hit all 4 of my local EB/GSes...no go on anything. Bah, humbug. Now I have to hope Best Buy's TP and PH guides drop soon, and I am quick enough to get the only copies...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As long as the second post is updated with the items that dropped, I don't think it really matters much what specific day they pennied. As for the Video Game Careers book, I held off on adding that one since it has zero to do with an actual game.
[/quote]

I will make a note of that next time. Just trying to help out. Will keep you up to date with anything else.

i got luckyy at a game crazy today picked up 10 guides. funny thing was guy said i couldnt have them but could sell em them to me for .01 i was like ok
doa4x2
godfather
graw x2
kameo
hitman
paid to play book
quake4x2

[quote name='camelking6969']i got luckyy at a game crazy today picked up 10 guides. funny thing was guy said i couldnt have them but could sell em them to me for .01 i was like ok
doa4x2
godfather
graw x2
kameo
hitman
paid to play book
quake4x2[/quote]

that was funny dude. congrats on the haul. :applause:

btw i already swept most of the sf east bay area for the recent drops. most of the gamestop and gamecrazy stores were able to pull out the guides before i got there. checked also for other drops, nothing new.

[quote name='Jiggadabaptist']Thank you guys so much the one and only guide that I've been eying for so long finally dropped. Assassin's Creed LE. I checked out 3 different GS, and nobody had any, I happened to go by a usually busy store today, and as one of the female cashiers was walking in the back, I asked her if she had any? She came back out with the regular guide, I asked in my nicest, innocent customer voice possible if they had the one with the artbook, and she came back out with it. Super smiles

I almost turned into Howard Dean, but I kept my composure.

Once again thank you guys so much for keeping this thread and updating the Wiki. It's not curing cancer or anything but it definitely brings joy to this gamer...

Peace[/quote]

We should react like this just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXEVulWqGs4

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']I will make a note of that next time. Just trying to help out. Will keep you up to date with anything else.[/quote]

It's ok, since I know I've listed stuff before that didn't have to do with any specific game(360 achievements book from TRU that pennied a while back).

I just don't like to clutter up the second post by adding in new entries for one or two guides that we may have missed.

Thanks for the help though....

I just wish we had employees from each store that pennies guides who would get the full lists, so we wouldn't have 'this guide also pennied' posts coming in for sometimes a week or two after a drop.

Thanks again though...

Best Buy in Union City, CA 94587 still had Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for $19.99 so it's YMMV or the drop back in 03/03/08 is specifically for either the console or PC specific one.

Game Crazy in Hayward, CA 94544 did not drop Xenosaga 3 so it's YMMV probably.
Confirming the drops for Paid to Play (an older version of the Videogame Careers book), Super Dragonball Z and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II (included a dvd).
Actually, another one that might be of interest is another Prima publication called Perfect Dark: Janus' Tears. It dropped too. I believe it's a collection of Perfect Dark comics.

If I still worked at GameStop I'd be one of those employees to update here all the time (it's real sad and bad that I just discovered this site in it's entirety, but i'm grateful). I might be getting a job real soon at a Game Crazy though so I'll keep you posted.

If I still worked at GameStop I'd be one of those employees to update here all the time (it's real sad and bad that I just discovered this site in it's entirety, but i'm grateful). I might be getting a job real soon at a Game Crazy though so I'll keep you posted.

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']Best Buy in Union City, CA 94587 still had Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for $19.99 so it's YMMV or the drop back in 03/03/08 is specifically for either the console or PC specific one.

Confirming the drops for Paid to Play (an older version of the Videogame Careers book), Super Dragonball Z and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II (included a dvd).
Actually, another one that might be of interest is another Prima publication called Perfect Dark: Janus' Tears. It dropped too. I believe it's a collection of Perfect Dark comics.

If I still worked at GameStop I'd be one of those employees to update here all the time (it's real sad and bad that I just discovered this site in it's entirety, but i'm grateful). I might be getting a job real soon at a Game Crazy though so I'll keep you posted.[/quote]

Actually, there's been a second edition of the Enemy Territory: Quake Wars guide released, which is the one you saw on the shelf at Best Buy. The original one had just the front cover without that red/maroonish colored block of text on the front. I believe that's what says it covers PS3 or PC or whatever now, on top of the consoles it covered prior.

That one has NOT dropped yet. There have been at least 2-3 more guides like that, that received marginal updates and were re-released in their updated forms.

The other two I can think of off the top of my head were: The Godfather and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Oblivion has had 3 or more versions, Godfather was about the same I believe.

As for me, I found this site 3 years ago when I searched for 'cheap games' on Google. It was one of the first sites to pop up. If not for that, I would be watching the clearance drops @ Kmart and never have known about pennied guides at all and thus still be paying $15-20 for a guide sometimes.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
As for me, I found this site 3 years ago when I searched for 'cheap games' on Google. It was one of the first sites to pop up. If not for that, I would be watching the clearance drops @ Kmart and never have known about pennied guides at all and thus still be paying $15-20 for a guide sometimes.[/quote]

Same here, except I still be paying close to retail for games and game guides. This site has saved me a ton of money!

I had problems today. Found a store with the 2 Zelda HC guides, Mass Effect LE and AC LE all on the shelf. Brought em up to the counter and the guy says "we can't sell them, sorry". I believe there is a law that states if merchandise is on the floor and a customer wishes to purchase it the store is legally obligated to sell them, no? Anyway, the manager is getting a call from me on Monday.

[quote name='Ronin Bahamut']Best Buy in Union City, CA 94587 still had Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for $19.99 so it's YMMV or the drop back in 03/03/08 is specifically for either the console or PC specific one.

If I still worked at GameStop I'd be one of those employees to update here all the time (it's real sad and bad that I just discovered this site in it's entirety, but i'm grateful). I might be getting a job real soon at a Game Crazy though so I'll keep you posted.[/QUOTE]

anything left at the hayward or union city game crazy?

[quote name='rarebucky']I had problems today. Found a store with the 2 Zelda HC guides, Mass Effect LE and AC LE all on the shelf. Brought em up to the counter and the guy says "we can't sell them, sorry". I believe there is a law that states if merchandise is on the floor and a customer wishes to purchase it the store is legally obligated to sell them, no? Anyway, the manager is getting a call from me on Monday.[/quote]

It depends on the state you're in, though I think here(PA) the companies have free reign to say no to a sale versus other states where there ARE laws on the books that say businesses have to sell stuff for whatever price it rings up as.

[quote name='62t']anything left at the hayward or union city game crazy?[/quote]

No more at Hayward, but a couple more in the Union City one. I went to Castro Valley too and there was some there still.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Any word on BB drops today?[/quote]

Why not go out and check and come back and tell us, instead of hoping someone else will do it FOR you?:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Why not go out and check and come back and tell us, instead of hoping someone else will do it FOR you?:roll:[/QUOTE]

I plan on it but can't go until lunch, I need my recon.

:p Well, I'm going out in a bit to see whether or not this friggin' check from CC cleared or not yet at my bank, but I doubt I'll be going to BB since fuss already told us that it appears there won't be a drop today.

I think last year they didn't drop anything for 2-3 months and then in January there was a HUGE drop.

Hit 4 GS, didn't get any penny guides. I was surprised the God of War guide hadn't dropped past 12.99. They also had a limited edition FF XII guide for $15 (1/2 off)

[quote name='slowdive21']Hit 4 GS, didn't get any penny guides. I was surprised the God of War guide hadn't dropped past 12.99. They also had a limited edition FF XII guide for $15 (1/2 off)[/quote]

God Of War is still a pretty popular game, so that's why you don't really see the guide dropping completely there. I think they realize which games may still have a more widespread appeal and they don't drop the guides for them as often, if they ever do.

Mind you, I actually paid full price for my God Of War guide(DVD edition) and I'm glad I did, since it's impossible to find anymore.

I can tell you that

LOZ: TP LE Hardcover is not being pennied
LOZ: PH LE Hardcover is not being pennied

I did pick up:
Burnout Paradise 0.39
EA 25th Anniversary 0.01 x2

I stopped by Best Buy today and searched for "guides" on one of those costomer computer kiosks and it brought up a list of about 89 guides (instead of the 82ish you would see online). I saw a few old drops listed at being a penny. The only thing I think may have been new was I saw the Quake Enemy Territory Guide (New version that covers PS2 & 360) listed at .68 I'm pretty sure this is new as I seem to recall somebody mentioning that this wasen't pennied out just a few days ago. I should also note that I didn't actually try and buy it either since I wasen't really all that interested.

This is the first time I've used one of these computers and didn't even notice if I could until today when I read the screen and saw the word customer on the screen :D I noticed that when I sorted the guides by order it ignored the pennied out guides and didn't sort them to the top when sorted low to high (probably ignored the penny and listed them in order with what the last price was) The other bigger problem is that all or most of the guides online weren't included so for example if Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn pennied out today I wouldn't have figured it out with the kiosk since it wasen't listed at all. I'm not sure if it's like that at all stores or if it didn't show up at my store if the computer's inventory = 0

[quote name='FOnewearl']I stopped by Best Buy today and searched for "guides" on one of those costomer computer kiosks and it brought up a list of about 89 guides (instead of the 82ish you would see online). I saw a few old drops listed at being a penny. The only thing I think may have been new was I saw the Quake Enemy Territory Guide (New version that covers PS2 & 360) listed at .68 I'm pretty sure this is new as I seem to recall somebody mentioning that this wasen't pennied out just a few days ago. I should also note that I didn't actually try and buy it either since I wasen't really all that interested.

This is the first time I've used one of these computers and didn't even notice if I could until today when I read the screen and saw the word customer on the screen :D I noticed that when I sorted the guides by order it ignored the pennied out guides and didn't sort them to the top when sorted low to high (probably ignored the penny and listed them in order with what the last price was) The other bigger problem is that all or most of the guides online weren't included so for example if Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn pennied out today I wouldn't have figured it out with the kiosk since it wasen't listed at all. I'm not sure if it's like that at all stores or if it didn't show up at my store if the computer's inventory = 0[/quote]

I think once a guide sells out online, it disappears from the site. If the warehouse never gets anymore in stock to sell to customers online, then I guess that's why the entries for those guides stay off the site.

By the way, at the top of the Best Buy circular for my area, it listed a new store for your area I believe. I doubt it's advertising the one by the Lycoming Mall, since I think that store is over a year old now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think once a guide sells out online, it disappears from the site. If the warehouse never gets anymore in stock to sell to customers online, then I guess that's why the entries for those guides stay off the site.

By the way, at the top of the Best Buy circular for my area, it listed a new store for your area I believe. I doubt it's advertising the one by the Lycoming Mall, since I think that store is over a year old now.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy #1794 - Selingsgrove PA 110 Marketplace Blvd, Selinsgrove, PA 17870-2400

I didn't notice this in the flyer myself this week but I was looking at the Best Buy site earlier and noticed this when doing something with the store pickup deal and figured it was a new store

I thought it was kind of weird though, for them to advertise it up this way(since this area is 2 hours from Selinsgrove) on the flyer for our stores, but I guess they must print up the ads with some specific stuff like that for certain regions and this area must be in the same district or whatever.

I'm still wondering why the hell they never put one in in Binghamton up in NY, since I was up there every other week for work at one time and they had a CC, Target and a bunch of Kmarts and WalMarts, but no Best Buy.

Let me clarify from yesterday: The reissued Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess hardback "bonus content" guide dropped to $7.99. Since that's scarcely higher than shipping on a multi-guide trade, and the last one left I snapped it up. I checked a lot of other guides, many had dropped below sticker (DMC4) but nothing was pennied or under $10 besides TP.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Let me clarify from yesterday: The reissued Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess hardback "bonus content" guide dropped to $7.99. Since that's scarcely higher than shipping on a multi-guide trade, and the last one left I snapped it up. I checked a lot of other guides, many had dropped below sticker (DMC4) but nothing was pennied or under $10 besides TP.[/quote]Could you post the SKU # for it? It's gone from the BB site, and I'd like to try and track one down at BB, if it's down to that price point.

Does anybody know what other guides are cheap (under$10) at BB?? I ask because my local BB is running a take off 35% on all guides. The only ones I remembered being cheap were the Zelda LE Hardcover books. Unfortunetly I only found 1 that was factory sealed. Got the TP for $520 + tax.

[quote name='cheapbastard']Does anybody know what other guides are cheap (under$10) at BB?? I ask because my local BB is running a take off 35% on all guides. The only ones I remembered being cheap were the Zelda LE Hardcover books. Unfortunetly I only found 1 that was factory sealed. Got the TP for $520 + tax.[/quote]

I remember halo 3, SM Galaxy are $10
pokemon diamond/pearl strat was $8.50
orange box is $5

[quote name='FOnewearl']I stopped by Best Buy today and searched for "guides" on one of those costomer computer kiosks and it brought up a list of about 89 guides (instead of the 82ish you would see online). I saw a few old drops listed at being a penny. The only thing I think may have been new was I saw the Quake Enemy Territory Guide (New version that covers PS2 & 360) listed at .68 I'm pretty sure this is new as I seem to recall somebody mentioning that this wasen't pennied out just a few days ago. I should also note that I didn't actually try and buy it either since I wasen't really all that interested.

[/quote]

I went buy to pick up QW:ET updated and it rang up full price in Atlanta, if anyone is curious. I had a stack full of stuff and the checker did not override. So does that make this a YMMV?

Can anyone else confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back