Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lakers310']I wonder, since circuit city might potentially go out of business, what would they do with the guides? Would they penny them out?[/quote]

If anything, they might just have a massive storewide clearnece, probably starting low around 20% and slowly escalating to near 50-80%. I doubt they'd go straight to pennied.

[quote name='lakers310']I wonder, since circuit city might potentially go out of business, what would they do with the guides? Would they penny them out?[/quote]
They'll burn them to keep warm at night. :D

Gamestop has suddenly gotten ridiculously hard to get guides from anymore. I know 2 managers and I still can't get any damn guides! I guess it's just BB & CC for me anymore...

You're getting way ahead of yourself. CC will most likely be closing approximately 150 stores (out of about 650) but that probably won't happen until February with 2/28 being the end of CC's fiscal year. Even then the majority of inventory will be transferred to other stores. That would very likely include guides.

[quote name='neocisco']You're getting way ahead of yourself. CC will most likely be closing approximately 150 stores (out of about 650) but that probably won't happen until February with 2/28 being the end of CC's fiscal year. Even then the majority of inventory will be transferred to other stores. That would very likely include guides.[/quote]

Not "way" ahead. Both CompUSA and Sharper Image closed a subset of their stores, but it wasn't long before they threw in the towel and liquidated everything. I hope it won't happen, but I won't be surprised.

Has anyone else noticed that the guide sections in their GameStops are shrinking? They only have a few different guides out but they have other guides if you ask.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Has anyone else noticed that the guide sections in their GameStops are shrinking? They only have a few different guides out but they have other guides if you ask.[/quote]

Yea, I've noticed that in my area. One only has like 10-12 guides at any given time. Think it's just a space thing.

Three or more of the local GS stores have a half of one of those dual sided racks they used to keep the PS1/N64 titles on loaded with guides. Of course, they pull all of the pennied ones immediately anymore, so 100+ guides out doesn't mean shit if there's none I can get for less than MSRP.

Gamestop is supposed to get some new guide racks just to put guides on so it could be that due to low guide pick ups and lack of space that they haven't been sending too many out to stores.

I've also noticed if people pre-order guides they tend to send a few more guides since it shows that there is an interest in it. So if you got some extra cash, pre-order a guide, cancel it, and then wait for it to penny.

[quote name='camelking6969']where is fuss he is are inside man[/quote] lol sorry bout that - had to go shopping and I forgot to check in here :( But there was no penny guide drops today.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Are the Mass Effects with the Art Book still full priced at Best Buy? I ahve seen quite a few copies lately.[/QUOTE]

Basically if you see a lot of a guide like that at Best Buy, it means it is still full price.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Has anyone else noticed that the guide sections in their GameStops are shrinking? They only have a few different guides out but they have other guides if you ask.[/quote]

Interesting...there may be hope yet. I'll just need to ask for what I'm looking for next time I'm there.

[quote name='Owen']Basically if you see a lot of a guide like that at Best Buy, it means it is still full price.[/quote]

Not necessarily. You could simply be in an area where nobody buys guides when they're older. I pretty much have that experience. I don't know if anyone in my area knows about penny guides.

[quote name='shieryda']Interesting...there may be hope yet. I'll just need to ask for what I'm looking for next time I'm there.[/quote]

I had given up on getting any from GS. About the only way I can get guides is if I go in and specifically ask for a certain pennied guide (all the GS's around here have 90% of the guides in back). I don't push it and only ask for one. It takes multiple trips to multiple stores, but it got me guides this drop.

[quote name='kell']I had given up on getting any from GS. About the only way I can get guides is if I go in and specifically ask for a certain pennied guide (all the GS's around here have 90% of the guides in back). I don't push it and only ask for one. It takes multiple trips to multiple stores, but it got me guides this drop.[/quote]

I'm taking my list tonight...

Seems like there was a new drop today at GameStop. I was in my local this morning (where they are incredibly nice, helpful and informative - which appears to be unusual compared to some people's experiences......)

Anyhow, the manager told me that some guides had pennied out and offered them to me. There was Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Alone in the Dark, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2! and Blue Dragon

Happy hunting guys.....

G

[quote name='gripper']Seems like there was a new drop today at GameStop. I was in my local this morning (where they are incredibly nice, helpful and informative - which appears to be unusual compared to some people's experiences......)

Anyhow, the manager told me that some guides had pennied out and offered them to me. There was Metroid Prime, Fire Emblem, Alone in the Dark, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2! and Blue Dragon

Happy hunting guys.....

G[/quote]

Confirmation anyone and full titles for Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime?

I came home with the Sims 2 box set of guides and Bully.
Saw that little Mega Man guide and Rainbow 6 and Blue Dragon.
Did not notice Fire Emblem anything.

edit: maybe Alone in the Dark as well...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Confirmation anyone and full titles for Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm all titles have dropped.
Full titles are:
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Thx a ton gripper!!! :)

I can also confirm the following Prima guides this week:

Alone in the Dark
Blue Dragon
Rainbow Six: Las Vegas 2
Sims 2 Boxed set

Thanks again gripper!

... we saw a bunch of Brady guides drop last week, this week it's Prima. Do they follow this standard often?

Thanks for the info, gripper and thanks for the clarification and confirmation both punkmaggit and Vader582.

Sometimes the stores follow this pattern, punkmaggit, where they'll penny Prima one week, Brady the next and sometimes follow it up with a lone Doublejump guide the next week.

EDIT: Added the info for this drop to the recent drops list on page one(post #2).

Thanks again to all who provided the info/clarification/confirmation.

Made the rounds looking for a Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn with no success. They had them, they just wouldn't sell them. Things are getting a bit more strict in Tulsa.

I think a good part of it is who happens to be working when I stop by, though. But it's gotten a lot harder over the last few drops.

A good part of it is knowing who works when, and getting in good with the people who do work there. There's this one GS where I could probably get pennied guides on monday or tuesday, but they don't seem to drop then, so I'm stuck with the manager and his lackey ("The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt."). :whistle2:(

[quote name='punkmaggit']I can also confirm the following Prima guides this week:

Alone in the Dark
Blue Dragon
Rainbow Six: Las Vegas 2
Sims 2 Boxed set

Thanks again gripper!

... we saw a bunch of Brady guides drop last week, this week it's Prima. Do they follow this standard often?[/QUOTE]

got all except metroid prime 3. thanks G. what an awesome night tonight :)

I went to GS to trade some games in and the clerks were talking about the penny guides that they were taking home. I played dumb and asked them if they actually got them for free. The noobish clerk asked the other clerk if it was ok to tell me about it. They started to explain everything to me and offered to let me look through the box in the back. I ended up getting Blue Dragon, Bully and the Sims 2 boxed set. One of them had kept the only MP3 that they had. :cry: I passed on Alone in the Dark.

On the way out, they told me that they didn't know when the guides get pennied out but that they usually give them away or just "recycle" them (in the trash :lol:). Looks like I just made 2 new friends. :D

Yesterday, I was at another GS and the clerks there were actually taking the guides off the shelves. I asked about them and they told me that they couldn't sell them. I should have gotten there sooner. From what I saw they had God of War: CoO, SMG hardcover, TWEWY (wasn't sure if it was pennied) among others.

[quote name='emg28']Yesterday, I was at another GS and the clerks there were actually taking the guides off the shelves. I asked about them and they told me that they couldn't sell them. I should have gotten there sooner. From what I saw they had God of War: CoO, SMG hardcover, TWEWY (wasn't sure if it was pennied) among others.[/quote]

Wow, some of those dropped a long time ago. I'd say keep checking that store in the future because they don't seem to remove their guides as fast as other locations!

I scored a Sims 2 expansion pack guide bundle and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. I'm hoping to find a Metroid Prime 3, but I doubt I'll get that lucky the day after :whistle2:|

Thanks Ops!

The megaman item is -

Mega Man Star Force 2: Wave Command Card Kit

picked last night at GS with all the other guides noted...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini drop at CC:

Super Mario Galaxy softcover .01

Also checked Mass E regular, ACreed regular, GoW2, Wii Twilight P (white cover) -all still full price. Confirmed in OH and IL.

[quote name='slowdive21']Mini drop at CC:

Super Mario Galaxy softcover .01

Also checked Mass E regular, ACreed regular, GoW2, Wii Twilight P (white cover) -all still full price. Confirmed in OH and IL.[/quote]
Nice, I could actually use that guide (well I own the game) and CC never gets on top of drops... hope they have it when I head there.

I haven't popped my head into this thread in a while. I missed 2 GS drops! Eh, hopefully, it isn't too late to grab me a Fire Emblem guide. :)

Confirming Mario Galaxy Softcover as .01 at Circuit City. I also checked Oblivion GOTY, Lego Indiana Jones, and Alone in the Dark, but they all rang up as full price.

[quote name='Civickid96']I can confirm God of War 2, God of War: Olympus, Ratchet and Clank and Dark Sector.[/quote]

I'm amused the the God of War (original) guide is still $9.99 at GS.

Haha, that's not a bad idea, assuming you get to keep your same character/stats/whatever. I've never played either, I can't get into paying monthly for a game because I have some periods where I have zero time at all for them. I know I've seen dozens of them at various stores, but I've already made my rounds this week...

[quote name='gantt']I'm amused the the God of War (original) guide is still $9.99 at GS.[/quote]

I think they figured that was a guide that will always sell, even at $10, though I'm glad I still have my DVD version even though I paid full price for it.

It was so convenient to switch over to my dvd player while having the game paused, pop in the dvd and fast forward to the part I was stuck on, even easier than going downstairs to the computer to check out Gamefaqs for the solution.

I wish more guides came with a dvd narrated version that showed you the same solutions as the paper guide.

[quote name='Rave Child']Haha, that's not a bad idea, assuming you get to keep your same character/stats/whatever. I've never played either, I can't get into paying monthly for a game because I have some periods where I have zero time at all for them. I know I've seen dozens of them at various stores, but I've already made my rounds this week...[/quote]

I don't even make 'rounds' to my local Gamestops anymore due to the problems I've had with them(which is why I have such disgust for the chain). Otherwise, I'd probably see if I could grab at least a dozen of those cd's and give the game a decent tryout from those.

This is why I'm glad that PSN is thus far a free service for the PS3, since if I had to pay for it like Live, I would never go online to play.

Cool drop on WoW, actually. I'm way too scared to start playing though. I have a bit of an addictive/compulsive personality, and I fear I'd never see my family again.

Unless of course I could convince them to play WoW too.

My one buddies sister and her husband play on dual pc's that sit about 10 feet apart from each other and play the game together. They're usually doing this while my buddy and I are playing a game on their HDtv on their PS3, which is positioned on the same glass & steel entertainment center as their PC's.

Usually, they're both looking back at my buddy as he tends to blast the volume on the tv.

i noticed that they released a new bioshock guide to coincide with ps3 version's release when i went to gamestop yesterday.

anyway, confirmed .01 on smg. thanks slowdive21 for the heads up. checked all the guides in the stall, all full price so far. if you want to check the availabilty of the smg guide in your local cc, go online and check in-store availability.

just an FYI for Best Buy:
The IRON MAN lithos ring up at 0.00.
The family guy 100th episode lithos ring up at 4.99.
There is a Starz preview disk of "CRASH" that includes a $50 mail in best buy GC if you sign up for starz and provide a copy of your billing statement for 3 months. (I think starz is under $20 a month so you basically break even).

FYI - I am not working Monday. So if there is any drops I will not be there to find out about it. Sorry about that folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back