Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']Madden 08 is also .01 at CC. Release the hounds![/quote]

I saw about 10 copies at CC and knew it was a penny and i still didn't try to get one. :)

Went to the Circuit City in Crystal Lake, IL. Took a copy of Madden '08 & DMC4 up to the front. The cashier rang it up and was shocked to see them for .01. I handed over my 2 cents and waited for my receipt (Big Mistake). The guy then says something to his manager who just happened to be passing by if this was right. She then proceded to do some fancy keyboard work on the register. She then rang them up and of course they still rang up for a penny each. She then handed them over to the cashier and told them to look them up on the web and see how much they were.
"So I can't have them for a penny", I asked?
"No, we can't do that", the cocky manager replied.
"But I was here last week and got a guide for a penny", I said.
"We can't sell them for a penny", the manager said irratated.
I then went on a rant of how guides get marked down after they have been out for a while, and Best Buy does the same thing. She still wasn't buying it and was still having the cashier research them on the internet. I walked out and forgot my 2 cents (ARGHHH).
I did want to tell them that this is why their company is on the verge of going out of business, with this kind of customer service, but I held back.
I think I'll try the Circuit City by my work. Maybe I will have better luck there.

[quote name='GuardianE']Mass Effect is gone from all of my Best Buys. Is that indicative of something? Pisses me off royally too, because I was waiting for that to drop.[/quote]

The guide + artbook bundle or the guide itself? I ask because I saw a STACK of like 10-15 of those suckers earlier at the other local BB, which I cleaned out of pennied guides.

I'll be updating my TL in a little while, since they're still in my car, but I also cleaned out the CC just down the hill from them of 6-7 DMC 4's and 2-3 Rock Band guides.

I price checked Mass Effect at CC and it still comes up full price, so the 'where the fuck did Mass Effect penny lately' conundrum continues....

Also, I don't know if they may do it for more recent drops, but if you can find an open kiosk in BB, try searching the guides for sale on their version of BB.com(which has a disclaimer on the monitor itself about the prices on the site being the 'lowest', since I think BB got in trouble for price switching a while back between their in store and regular websites).

Some of the prior drops were indicated on their in store site and sometimes all it takes is finding which guides are 'backordered' . Hell, Heavenly Sword's guide is still listed as .01 on their site in store and it's been pennied for a LOOOOONG while now.

BTW, does anyone have a pic of the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl guide which dropped @ CC handy? I ask because there was a stack of 7-10 of the one last time I was there and today there was only ONE left, with a misprinted front cover without the Prima logo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The guide + artbook bundle or the guide itself? I ask because I saw a STACK of like 10-15 of those suckers earlier at the other local BB, which I cleaned out of pennied guides.

I'll be updating my TL in a little while, since they're still in my car, but I also cleaned out the CC just down the hill from them of 6-7 DMC 4's and 2-3 Rock Band guides.

I price checked Mass Effect at CC and it still comes up full price, so the 'where the fuck did Mass Effect penny lately' conundrum continues....

Also, I don't know if they may do it for more recent drops, but if you can find an open kiosk in BB, try searching the guides for sale on their version of BB.com(which has a disclaimer on the monitor itself about the prices on the site being the 'lowest', since I think BB got in trouble for price switching a while back between their in store and regular websites).

Some of the prior drops were indicated on their in store site and sometimes all it takes is finding which guides are 'backordered' . Hell, Heavenly Sword's guide is still listed as .01 on their site in store and it's been pennied for a LOOOOONG while now.

BTW, does anyone have a pic of the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl guide which dropped @ CC handy? I ask because there was a stack of 7-10 of the one last time I was there and today there was only ONE left, with a misprinted front cover without the Prima logo.[/quote]

616XvQLcltL._SS500_.jpg

Prima one isn't pennied, NP is.

Oh ok......well then how the bleep do you explain about 10 copies of the Prima version disappearing in about a week? Unless they just pennied that version, since we have no real idea as to when all of the guides that people are listing as .01 @ CC dropped legitimately.

I'll probably check the last copy of the D/P Prima version on Saturday or so, if it's still there, though I've been focusing most of my energy on finding a non display model Sony 26" LCD for $175.

[quote name='GuardianE']Mass Effect is gone from all of my Best Buys. Is that indicative of something?[/QUOTE]

Yes. That the employees pulled them and destroyed them when they were confirmed as 1 cent. Because they aren't supposed to leave penny guides on shelves. There's some complicated reason why they have to be marked down to a penny in the computer instead of just pulled and trashed, but that's what it boils down to. For all these people who post in here as having found something, someone somewhere gets in trouble for selling it to them. Maybe not that day, but eventually when a store's total sales are rung up, the manager probably gets an angry phone call from higher up. No one is entitled to penny guides. You either get lucky or are quick enough to get there before they're pulled. And even then (as evidenced by so many anecdotal posts in this thread) most stores have really been cracking down on selling them in the past few years or so.

That or perhaps there's some jerk CAG (or fat-wallet guy) who buys every single copy. This has happened to me before. Or perhaps hides them somewhere in the store and retrieves them after they drop.

It's kind of sad, as penny guides used to be one of the true joys of coming to the cag boards for me. Now it's nothing but constant disappointment.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh ok......well then how the bleep do you explain about 10 copies of the Prima version disappearing in about a week? Unless they just pennied that version, since we have no real idea as to when all of the guides that people are listing as .01 @ CC dropped legitimately.[/quote]

Someone probably just pulled the Prima version along with the Nintendo version.

You mean like the people who were hiding them in washers and dryers and refrigerators and other shady shit like that? I look at it as a good thing if they yank them BEFORE I get there, but if I find one or more on the shelf, then at least say 'we can sell you ONE of each' or something, since it's not MY fault they missed the friggin' things.

Oh and could it be that just the guide/art book version of ME dropped, since I didn't see ANY of those @ BB today, but I saw a ton of the standalone. I also didn't see more than ONE Assassin's Creed guide/artbook bundle and ZERO of the standalone. Take that for what you will....

I figured that someone may have just pulled the Prima version with the Nintendo one too, Neo.

roc's feather;4790451 said:
Yes. That the employees pulled them and destroyed them when they were confirmed as 1 cent. Because they aren't supposed to leave penny guides on shelves. There's some complicated reason why they have to be marked down to a penny in the computer instead of just pulled and trashed, but that's what it boils down to. For all these people who post in here as having found something, someone somewhere gets in trouble for selling it to them. Maybe not that day, but eventually when a store's total sales are rung up, the manager probably gets an angry phone call from higher up. No one is entitled to penny guides. You either get lucky or are quick enough to get there before they're pulled. And even then (as evidenced by so many anecdotal posts in this thread) most stores have really been cracking down on selling them in the past few years or so.

That or perhaps there's some jerk CAG (or fat-wallet guy) who buys every single copy. This has happened to me before. Or perhaps hides them somewhere in the store and retrieves them after they drop.

It's kind of sad, as penny guides used to be one of the true joys of coming to the cag boards for me. Now it's nothing but constant disappointment.

I think Guardian meant did Mass Effect penny at BB? I know its not on the drop lists yet and if all disappeared then maybe it did..

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You mean like the people who were hiding them in washers and dryers and refrigerators and other shady shit like that? I look at it as a good thing if they yank them BEFORE I get there, but if I find one or more on the shelf, then at least say 'we can sell you ONE of each' or something, since it's not MY fault they missed the friggin' things.

Oh and could it be that just the guide/art book version of ME dropped, since I didn't see ANY of those @ BB today, but I saw a ton of the standalone. I also didn't see more than ONE Assassin's Creed guide/artbook bundle and ZERO of the standalone. Take that for what you will....

I figured that someone may have just pulled the Prima version with the Nintendo one too, Neo.[/quote]

I thought that was just a joke, are there people actually hiding guides in there -___-

At least someone on here probably would've found a mass effect if they were pennied at BB. I seem to remember the person who first noticed the burnout and condemned drops saying that they scanned the mass effect.
It has to have been dropped for at least a couple weeks, because that's when I started seeing them on the trade counter.

[quote name='Link927']I thought that was just a joke, are there people actually hiding guides in there -___-[/quote]

You'd be surprised

[quote name='Pookymeister']they could have pennied off the back of a truck[/quote] Yeah, but I've seen them multiple times. If it was just one time I wouldn't think much of it.

Next time I see mass effects, I'm gonna wait for the person to come get his trade credit, and ask where the fuck he got those mass effects.

[quote name='Pookymeister']they could have pennied off the back of a truck[/quote]

I wish to hell someone would've pennied me a 60 gb PS3 off the back of a truck while they were still availabe. Though from what I've heard, they run even hotter than the 40 gb I have.

How the hell does the PS3 stay so damn warm/hot even with that humungous fan in it?

On topic though, I'll check Mass Effect this weekend @ Best Buy if I get a chance.

Cheapest the Assassins' creed limited edition is still 19.99.. have you talked to anyone about when it would drop? It was two months ago that it was rumored to have dropped.. but its still 19.99 ^_^

Not really, since I'm guessing my local BB is going to be as tough as GS for me as far as getting guides goes anymore. Shame really, since I thought the closer store was always safe for me to get them from.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wish to hell someone would've pennied me a 60 gb PS3 off the back of a truck while they were still availabe. Though from what I've heard, they run even hotter than the 40 gb I have.

How the hell does the PS3 stay so damn warm/hot even with that humungous fan in it?

On topic though, I'll check Mass Effect this weekend @ Best Buy if I get a chance.[/quote] Defective fan? No idea, I don't have a PS3. lol

Hopefully it'll be pennied at BB.

[quote name='darkslime']At least someone on here probably would've found a mass effect if they were pennied at BB. I seem to remember the person who first noticed the burnout and condemned drops saying that they scanned the mass effect.
It has to have been dropped for at least a couple weeks, because that's when I started seeing them on the trade counter.[/quote]

That doesn't rule out the possibility that Mass Effect could have pennied at Best Buy sometime within the past few days though. Still worth looking into.

I picked up the pennied guides at Best Buy today. It is worth noting that the price stickers had actually been placed on the guides and they said $0.01. Also, I swear I went to this same Best Buy a few days ago, and they did not have Condemned, Pirates, or the Soccer one. But today they had them and they were pennied. What is up with that? I guess it is possible they were in the back waiting to be restickered a few days ago.

[quote name='ZackScott']I picked up the pennied guides at Best Buy today. It is worth noting that the price stickers had actually been placed on the guides and they said $0.01. Also, I swear I went to this same Best Buy a few days ago, and they did not have Condemned, Pirates, or the Soccer one. But today they had them and they were pennied. What is up with that? I guess it is possible they were in the back waiting to be restickered a few days ago.[/quote]

Its all YMMV, even GS slaps on a .01 sticker on guides sometimes, thats how I picked up a P3 guide when it pennied out.

[quote name='shoe478']I'm guessing you scanned the one with the white cover. The Prima phantom hourglass one has a light blue cover. The twilight princess one is from Nintendo Power (NP) and it has the game artwork on the cover.

Did you know about the PRI + 13 number trick? That usually works on the Army of Two guide.[/quote]

Thanks! Please shed light on this trick. I can't find which page it is :)

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']Thanks! Please shed light on this trick. I can't find which page it is :)[/quote]

For Prima Guides the cashier has to manually enter PRI and the 13 digits under the ISBN bar code, not the UPC bar code. The 3 letter code is different depending on the manufacturer.

roc's feather;4790451]For all these people who post in here as having found something said:
Wow. Really? Could selling these guides at a penny represent more than a few hundred $ in hypothetically lost gross sales each month? If some higher up is calling out my BB's manager for that, seems to me they've got bigger problems than selling pennied guides.

Was at a Gamestop yesterday and while looking through their crap game selection found a Persona 3 guide. I found a few games I sorta wanted and proceeded to the cashier. He looked to be a new guy, and when the guide came up he was a little confused but was about to let it slide. All of a sudden, his coworker came barging over.

Coworker: STOP. No, you're not selling that to him.
Me: Explain.
Coworker: It's not in the system.
Me: Well it scanned and shows on the register. I can see it on the transaction pad.
Coworker: Oh... well, I don't know then. Still not selling it.
Me: So you can't sell it AT ALL? *bluff* Not even at discount of retail?
Coworker: I'd have to check with the DM, but I don't feel like it.
*cashier reluctantly takes the guide off the transaction*
Me: While you're at it, please remove the rest of the games. It appears that my money is no good here.

The cashier immediately shot his coworker a dirty look like 'you just killed my sale!' The coworker started to explain why he shouldn't sell it, to which I heard the cashier reply as I left, "Does it really matter if a customer gets one instead of the dumpster or whatever? The rest of the sale would have made it worthwhile."

That made my day.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Was at a Gamestop yesterday and while looking through their crap game selection found a Persona 3 guide. I found a few games I sorta wanted and proceeded to the cashier. He looked to be a new guy, and when the guide came up he was a little confused but was about to let it slide. All of a sudden, his coworker came barging over.

Coworker: STOP. No, you're not selling that to him.
Me: Explain.
Coworker: It's not in the system.
Me: Well it scanned and shows on the register. I can see it on the transaction pad.
Coworker: Oh... well, I don't know then. Still not selling it.
Me: So you can't sell it AT ALL? *bluff* Not even at discount of retail?
Coworker: I'd have to check with the DM, but I don't feel like it.
*cashier reluctantly takes the guide off the transaction*
Me: While you're at it, please remove the rest of the games. It appears that my money is no good here.

The cashier immediately shot his coworker a dirty look like 'you just killed my sale!' The coworker started to explain why he shouldn't sell it, to which I heard the cashier reply as I left, "Does it really matter if a customer gets one instead of the dumpster or whatever? The rest of the sale would have made it worthwhile."

That made my day.[/quote]
That's too good. It's not in the system. I just can't or whatever.

What did he expect the outcome to BE?

that is an awesome story-in the old days I've seen a few employees of GS clearing out pennied guides, and some of them actually did get tired of doing that and pretty much said (me and my friends are regulars at those 3 gamestops) here's a list, grab whatever you like off the list...

I grabbed one of each off the new Best Buy drop list. Nothing exciting, I suppose, but it's rather cool that the soccer guide came with a DVD? Meh.
BTW, the Tempe Marketplace store still has an EA history book if anyone is looking for that.
I'm gonna have to try Circuit City-- I went to one store and encountered no problems picking up a couple of their guides.

[quote name='Viper45']That doesn't rule out the possibility that Mass Effect could have pennied at Best Buy sometime within the past few days though. Still worth looking into.[/quote]

if so theres a ton just sitting at my BB

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Operation Darkness and Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis were both marked $9.99.
How long were Persona 3 and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $9.99 before they pennied?[/quote]

At Gamestop?

[quote name='darkslime']Defective fan? No idea, I don't have a PS3. lol

Hopefully it'll be pennied at BB.[/quote]

Actually, I've been told that BOTH the 360 AND PS3 run warm/hot. What's up with that this gen? I mean, if my PS2 ever ran that warm/hot, I'd be calling Sony every other day.

Mind you, once winter hits here in the Northeast, I may play my PS3 every damn day that I don't wanna crank up the heat in the house.

In short, it'll make a great secondary heat source come winter. :lol:

Oh and apparently in my rush to grab the guides I did from both BB + C yesterday, I missed the soccer one @ BB. Mind you, who really needs a guide to play soccer? Just like the FPS and Madden guides, one has to wonder WHY you'd need a guide for them.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Operation Darkness and Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis were both marked $9.99.
How long were Persona 3 and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $9.99 before they pennied?[/quote]I'm assuming you're talking about GS?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I've been told that BOTH the 360 AND PS3 run warm/hot. What's up with that this gen? I mean, if my PS2 ever ran that warm/hot, I'd be calling Sony every other day.

Mind you, once winter hits here in the Northeast, I may play my PS3 every damn day that I don't wanna crank up the heat in the house.

[/quote]

Yea, you would think that as technology improves that they could make systems run colder. It's probably some conspiracy to make us all replace our systems mid generation so they can increase hardware sales or something along those lines.

Hm...reminds me of the ridiculously hot lids on the PS1's. I wonder if I can use that to heat up water for a cup of tea.

How long were Persona 3 and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $9.99 before they pennied?[/QUOTE]

Awesome thanks, I know of a store that had 3 copies of both of those left in great condition.

[quote name='Sinistarr']Checked the Mass Effect guide at BB tonight on the way home from work; rang up $19.99. Didn't check the ME artbook, though.[/quote]I checked the ME strat guide + art book...$17.99.

I have a feeling that some guides dropped at GameStop today, as well. I saw the PRIMA Pokemon Diamond/Pearl guides (both the regular one and the pokedex) as well as the NP Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess one (white, looks to be some sort of delux edition) pulled out from the players guide shelves at my local GameStop. It might just be that they were removed to make room for newer games, but it may be worth investigating for confirmation. I'll try to pick one up tomorrow. (The manager on duty at the time was a guy who I knew wouldn't sell it to me.)

^0_o TP is possibly pennied. Too bad all of my GS managers are douches.

@IATCG- My 360 gets so damn hot when I play it. I use an external fan when i play it. Its RROD once and I mentioned this to the CSR, and they never fixed it. >_>

My days of getting guides at CC are over. Went today to try for the Rogue Galaxy, double agent and rise of nations because I was biking around there anyway. They wouldn't ring up, and the employee said that the manager decided to make all of the penny guides full MSRP. OMGWTFBBQ! What a bitch! Just send them back to the damn store instead of making me want them you dumb old bitch.

I checked both Mass Effect guides at BB also. The normal one was $19.99, and the art book one was $17.99. Why the fuck would anyone buy the normal one?!?!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I've been told that BOTH the 360 AND PS3 run warm/hot. What's up with that this gen? I mean, if my PS2 ever ran that warm/hot, I'd be calling Sony every other day.

Oh and apparently in my rush to grab the guides I did from both BB + C yesterday, I missed the soccer one @ BB. Mind you, who really needs a guide to play soccer? Just like the FPS and Madden guides, one has to wonder WHY you'd need a guide for them.[/quote]

Off topic, but the latest version of the consoles will run cooler, as they're powered by more efficient 65 nm CPU and GPU chips. In fairness, both of these consoles were a huge leap over PS2/Xbox in terms of overall capabilities, so it wasn't too surprising that their first models were space heaters. It's part of why I've been holding out for these newest versions.

[quote name='darkslime']^0_o TP is possibly pennied. Too bad all of my GS managers are douches.

@IATCG- My 360 gets so damn hot when I play it. I use an external fan when i play it. Its RROD once and I mentioned this to the CSR, and they never fixed it. >_>

My days of getting guides at CC are over. Went today to try for the Rogue Galaxy, double agent and rise of nations because I was biking around there anyway. They wouldn't ring up, and the employee said that the manager decided to make all of the penny guides full MSRP. OMGWTFBBQ! What a bitch! Just send them back to the damn store instead of making me want them you dumb old bitch.

I checked both Mass Effect guides at BB also. The normal one was $19.99, and the art book one was $17.99. Why the fuck would anyone buy the normal one?!?![/quote]

Check neocisco's posts a few pages back...Circuit City is putting in new POS systems that will ring up different prices based on what registers you ring up at, and which bar codes you scan. A big mess in otherwords. It's going to get tougher for all of us.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
BTW, the Tempe Marketplace store still has an EA history book if anyone is looking for that. [/quote]

i didnt know they were pennied. there are a ton at my BB too.

[quote name='darkslime']^0_o TP is possibly pennied. Too bad all of my GS managers are douches.

I checked both Mass Effect guides at BB also. The normal one was $19.99, and the art book one was $17.99. Why the fuck would anyone buy the normal one?!?![/quote]

Same happened to me. I think the manager got in trouble for selling me so many other guides a week or so ago. Now all penny guides ring up full price. He gives me the death look every time i walk in. I give him one of these ;)

was able to snag disgaea 2, folklore, silent hill origins, haze, Vikings, & condemed 2 guides from my local gamestop. Those employees called for a managers approval before handing me all those guides. Also snagged crysis & burnout paradise guides from my local bestbuy. Thanks OP

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']Off topic, but the latest version of the consoles will run cooler, as they're powered by more efficient 65 nm CPU and GPU chips. In fairness, both of these consoles were a huge leap over PS2/Xbox in terms of overall capabilities, so it wasn't too surprising that their first models were space heaters. It's part of why I've been holding out for these newest versions.[/quote]

Well, I just bought my PS3 back in April for GTA IV, so I would think that they have the more efficient chips in it, though I could be wrong. Either way, that sumbitch throws off a decent amount of heat, not enough to be truly worrisome, but enough that I don't play it for very long periods of time. Although recently, I've been goofing around in GTA IV online for 4-6 hours at a shot.

You would think that with the super huge fan in the base of the console that it wouldn't get that warm/hot, but it still does. That's probably why so many people buy those intercoolers, thinking it'll keep the system even cooler than JUST the internal fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back