Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops or which ones you've grabbed to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!)
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):
http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50515&highlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167157

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
BookPool
CircuitCity
Gamestop
Overstock
StrategyGuides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like 62t said it matters on the guide. If its a good guide like Final Fantasy Tactics War of the lions $4-5 a guide is a good price for both people. The CAG who got it gets to make a few dollars and the person buying it gets it for MUCH cheaper then they would have otherwise.

I'm gonna have to make a post over the weekend in deal thread because I have around 200 guides I want to get rid of. I was selling mystery guide lots for systems in flat rate priority boxes for $20 just to get rid of em.

Anyways i'll have to check up another bestbuy today when I do get home.

If anyone needs an Assasin's Creed LE send me a pm and i'll try to help out, i got 1 extra but i'm really only looking to trade and theirs not alot of penny guides left I need just so you've been warned....

I may be crazy, BUT...I noticed the Twilight Princess guide is different at BB. It is an inch thick with a white cover, but I think it is for all versions. The normal (1/2 inch) white cover that says "wii version" was not there anymore. Possible drop for the thin white covered one? Fire Eblem was also missing from the shelf.

[quote name='slowdive21']I may be crazy, BUT...I noticed the Twilight Princess guide is different at BB. It is an inch thick with a white cover, but I think it is for all versions. The normal (1/2 inch) white cover that says "wii version" was not there anymore. Possible drop for the thin white covered one? Fire Eblem was also missing from the shelf.
[/quote]

I believe the thin white cover one was by Nintendo Power for the Wii version, and that pennied a while ago. I could be mistaken, though, since there were like 4-5 versions.

[quote name='Caliburn']I guess my BB didn't learn... I went back yesterday and picked up some remaining stragglers, namely Secret Codes 2008, Incredible Hulk, and some Pokemon guide (I haven't played a Pokemon game since BLUE - well, unless you count Snap for N64). I still left DMC4, Bourne, and something else on the shelf for others. The cashier called me a big spender when I pulled out a fat ol' nickle and told him to keep the change.

Hopefully the trend of letting guides chill on the shelves continues at my store...can't wait for the Mass Effect LE guide to drop sometime down the line![/quote]

Are these marked normal price but ring up $.01? I went and checked my local BB (West Texas just might be out of the loop on all this...) and they seemed to still be normally priced.

[quote name='TommyTSquared']Are these marked normal price but ring up $.01? I went and checked my local BB (West Texas just might be out of the loop on all this...) and they seemed to still be normally priced.[/quote]

Yeah they will ring up a penny...

[quote name='Rave Child']I believe the thin white cover one was by Nintendo Power for the Wii version, and that pennied a while ago. I could be mistaken, though, since there were like 4-5 versions.[/quote]

I am talking about the 'virgin cover' not the one with the nintendo power banner. This one:
3562_1.JPG

I believe there are now 2 versions of it.

[quote name='shiningslade']Funny, you mentioned Secaucus, NJ store as I just hit that one up tonight! Along with both Paramus stores & West Paterson. I actually asked in the one Paramus store if they had the Mario Galaxy hardcover & the guy brought 4 of them out from the back. :bouncy:[/quote]

How the fuck far do you still go? I know when I talked to you last, you said you had stopped going THAT far for guides, but I guess you're back to your old ways, huh? Either that or you REALLY know some real shortcuts along backroads, since Paramus is about 123 miles from HERE. Oh and for the record, I have SIX SMG hardcovers, with five being sealed. :razz:

That sounds just like me, since I said I'd NEVER clear out an entire store ever again, but I did just the other day.

Of course, the store I hit also had that white cover TP guide I think, which means I missed at least 4-6 guides.:cry:

If it wasn't a haul back to there, I'd go and clear those out too. :D

Hmm, I think I've seen that white cover TP guide around, but I can't remember if it was at BBY or GS. Are you sure it's thin though, I could have sworn the only version I've seen was nearly an inch thick. It's difficult to keep track of with so many versions though, and I probably won't try to make a special trip for it, since I have the GameCube version of both the game and the guide.

[quote name='Brian9824']People will hate me. Hit another bestbuy on way home and snagged 6 more Assasin Creed's and 3 more Mario Galaxies[/quote]

Don't flatter yourself. You're not worth hating.

[quote name='Brian9824']People will hate me. Hit another bestbuy on way home and snagged 6 more Assasin Creed's and 3 more Mario Galaxies[/quote]

Ah, but I can be bribed out of hating you...

2 scores:

At CC I found Splinter Cell: Double Agent and took it up to see if its status had changed (previously was bundle only). Not only was it nowhere in the system, but the girl couldn't find it online either, so she asked a manager what to do with the apparently non-existent item. He said if I could have it for free if I just bought a drink (so there would be a record of the transaction). So I spent $1.34 for it. Not quite a penny, but still pretty good. :bouncy:

Then major score at Best Buy. Any CAGs in Orange County CA should check the one off the El Toro exit on the 5. I only took 1 or 2 of each, so there should be plenty for others.

Orange Box
Condemned 2
Devil May Cry 4
Crysis
Advance War: Days of Ruin
Super Mario Galaxy HC Collector's
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass HC Collector's
Bourne Conspiracy
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (Prima)
Army of Two (w/ graphic novel)

[quote name='180husher']Picked a Burnout Paradise today and it rang up $.37...the cashier laughed because I was dissappointed that it wasn't a penny.[/quote]
:lol: Tax alone on it is more than a penny :lol:

Yesterday, I picked up a sealed SMG hardcover, Assasin's Creed, and a DMC 4 guide at BB. I also picked up SMG (soft cover), Super Paper Mario and Mario Party 8 at CC. It was my first succesful try at CC. The girl didn't even care that they were ringing up .01. MP8 was not scanning so she called a manager over (I was sure I would have problems then) and she asked him to put the guide "into the system". He went over to another computer and she rang me up. :D

At BB, I took my guides to a "white shirt" (thanks Shrike) and he told me that he was only accepting credit or debit. He scanned my stuff and I swiped my debit card. He noticed the .01 price but my receipt was already printing out. He just gave me my stuff with a bewildered look on his face. :lol:

I wish I could've found that many Assassin's Creed bundles, but I was lucky enough to find the ONE that I did, I think.

Of course, I have double what you have of the SMG guide(not even counting softcovers from CC) and I have 10+ of the Phantom Hourglass ones.:lol:

[quote name='Homerun17']I wanted a PH one...not that I'm in your area but I hate you :p....
I got nothing at both of mine...[/quote]

What can I say, except that they're trade fodder for games/guides I want. Although, I didn't add my entire haul to my TL yet, since I think it'd DOUBLE what I have in my TL now and piss off more than a few people I think. :D

If people would make a nice offer for a hard cover guide, I might consider trading, but half the time I'm being offered some common shit guide that I don't need for a hardcover or RPG guide I have.

I got my first deny. I went to an out of the way BB and they had about 10 different guides, the best being the FF Tactics. I had them scanned just as a (I assume) manager walked by. The fat bastard said they couldn't sell them. I might try to go back tomorrow and just grab the FF Tactics, but it's not a very convenient drive.

I wish I could find a Galaxies. The only ones I've found are the softcovers. I've also seen that white Zelda, but it rang up as $9.99.

Niles and Boardman OH are scores, Cuyahoga Falls is a strike out as always, though I did see a few Iron Man guides on a cart.

Also, was about to get denied on SMG at CC, but struck up a conversation with the cashier about pennied guides, and was able to get 3 SMG softcovers from CC in exchange for a bribe of a Army of Two set from BB. Funny stuff.

Dave

I haven't seen this posted yet but Circuit City has Mass Effect guide (Regular Edition) for $0.01
Hope this helps anyone in need of the guide.

[quote name='Supernova']Found a Rainbow Six 2 guide for a penny, nice! I still need to finish that game[/quote]

I hope you mean the old, old, old, old, old guide for RS 2 and not Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Because if you mean that, it'd be especially nice if you provide info on WHERE it dropped to .01 .

Thanks.

[quote name='whatup5']I haven't seen this posted yet but Circuit City has Mass Effect guide (Regular Edition) for $0.01
Hope this helps anyone in need of the guide.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I'll add it to the second post. I just wish we knew what day it pennied.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I hope you mean the old, old, old, old, old guide for RS 2 and not Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Because if you mean that, it'd be especially nice if you provide info on WHERE it dropped to .01.[/quote]

At BB per this post from 10/27, maybe?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5037244&postcount=1873

[quote name='Visc']I've been away (I still am, but I just hit a BIG score at BB) - it may be YMMV but I'm finding penny guides of:
DMC4
Condemned 2
Army of 2 w/ comic
Mario Galazy HC
Phantom Hourglass HC
Pirates of the Burning Sea
FFT War of the Lions
World in Conflict
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2[/quote]

I guess we can kiss any remaining R6V2 guides at BB goodbye now...

[quote name='gantt']At BB per this post from 10/27, maybe?[/quote]

No, I think OP said "Rainbow Six 2 guide," as opposed to Rainbow Six Vegas 2, so IATCG was asking if that's actually what he meant, where had that pennied. Of course, the second Rainbow Six game (not called "Rainbow Six 2," btw) is like 8 years old, so I'm guessing the guide is probably pennied everywhere ;).

I did find a Rainbow Six 3 guide at my CC a couple of months ago and it still rang up in the system. That was kind of surprising since that game is at least 4 years old...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wish I could've found that many Assassin's Creed bundles, but I was lucky enough to find the ONE that I did, I think.

Of course, I have double what you have of the SMG guide(not even counting softcovers from CC) and I have 10+ of the Phantom Hourglass ones.:lol:[/quote]

Nice i didnt find a single phantom hourglass one anywhere but fortunately i was able to trade for a copy of it so i don't need it.

[quote name='whatup5']I haven't seen this posted yet but Circuit City has Mass Effect guide (Regular Edition) for $0.01
Hope this helps anyone in need of the guide.[/quote]

Mass Effect came up 15 and change at my CC.

[quote name='Rave Child']No, I think OP said "Rainbow Six 2 guide," as opposed to Rainbow Six Vegas 2, so IATCG was asking if that's actually what he meant, where had that pennied.[/quote]

Ah, I get it now. There's ambiguity in the way IATCG used "that": a generic version of his sentence would be "I hope you mean this and not that, because if you mean that..." However, your interpretation makes more sense.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What can I say, except that they're trade fodder for games/guides I want. Although, I didn't add my entire haul to my TL yet, since I think it'd DOUBLE what I have in my TL now and piss off more than a few people I think. :D

If people would make a nice offer for a hard cover guide, I might consider trading, but half the time I'm being offered some common shit guide that I don't need for a hardcover or RPG guide I have.[/quote]
If I told everybody what I have I'd probably be banned! :lol: However I do offer what I have for trade, I just don't get very many trade requests...:cry:

[quote name='rarebucky']Not worth sitting in that awful traffic on Rt. 4 and Rt. 17 to get that stuff. They really don't become penny guides when you factor in the gas...[/quote]
By the time I hit Secaucus it was after 9pm. No traffic at all :) And I'd consider it worth my while since I came home with 80+ guides & some clearance games from Kmart.:cool:

[quote name='shiningslade']If I told everybody what I have I'd probably be banned! :lol: However I do offer what I have for trade, I just don't get very many trade requests...:cry:[/QUOTE]
Probably because your want-list is full of really hard-to-find guides :razz:

[quote name='shiningslade']If I told everybody what I have I'd probably be banned! :lol: However I do offer what I have for trade, I just don't get very many trade requests...:cry:[/quote]

You showed me pictures of that collection, remember? I thought I had lotsa guides before I sold most of them to the local shop, but you have me beat.....by about 400-500. :roll:

I'm shocked you're not on one of your jaunts tonight to scavenge games and guides from other areas, like I used to. There have to be some Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery stores you could be buying up the entire stock of PS2/Xbox/GC games from. :lol:

EDIT: I'll remove Mass Effect from the second post. I figured that it being a penny had to be a fluke.

anybody in MN, try Rogers location.
They've got Orange box, Assasins LE, Mario Galaxy HC, and Ocorana of time HC.
All one penny each.

[quote name='Wblaze']tried to get assasins creed hardback at bb and it rang up 19.99[/QUOTE]

In my experience the one that rings up a penny is the one that includes the exclusive Best Buy lithograph.

[quote name='sunnysky']anybody in MN, try Rogers location.
They've got Orange box, Assasins LE, Mario Galaxy HC, and Ocorana of time HC.
All one penny each.[/quote]
ORACANA OF TIME? I hope you mean Twilight Princess...

Penny guides do pay... took a stack of about 25 into a local gaming store last night and walked out with essentially a free copy of GH: Aerosmith... couldnt justify paying any more than 50 for it

I've never known any gaming stores to buy gaming guides.
I wish they would though.

FYI, I found Zelda Phantom hourglass in rogers, not ocorana. Sorry.

The one local store I could get to take guide got in trouble last time I dropped off about 30. :D I should've put it to use getting actual games, but I did get some pretty good guide out of it. (What do I care, they were all a penny!)

...actually I still have two more store to try. We'll see.

[quote name='sunnysky']I've never known any gaming stores to buy gaming guides.
I wish they would though.

FYI, I found Zelda Phantom hourglass in rogers, not ocorana. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Used to have one around here that gave 2.00 store credit for each... which was great... they closed shop... had another give .50 per guide... which was fine as they sold used guides for 2.00... they were bought out by GS... found another store that gave various values for guides and I got a lot of PS3 and Wii games with the credit I accumulated, they went under just because they were so expensive... so Ive found yet another chain that takes them in varying values, depending on the guide... Ive scored a lot of free games this way over the years

[quote name='zman73']Penny guides do pay... took a stack of about 25 into a local gaming store last night and walked out with essentially a free copy of GH: Aerosmith... couldnt justify paying any more than 50 for it[/quote]

What are the stores called? If you don't mind me asking. PM me if you want to keep it private.

Play n Trade... but you should ask before going in with a big stack of guides... I was at the Baton Rouge store last weekend... walked in with a pile of guides... and realizing after not spotting any guides on the shelves that this one didnt take guides, was confirmed a moment later

[quote name='zman73']Play n Trade... but you should ask before going in with a big stack of guides... I was at the Baton Rouge store last weekend... walked in with a pile of guides... and realizing after not spotting any guides on the shelves that this one didnt take guides, was confirmed a moment later[/quote]
SWEET!! I have one right around the corner of my place. I hope they take them in. Too bad I haven't checked before, I've been donating my overstock to the local libraries around me.

The story at Play N Trade seems to change every time I go there. The first time I went there they had no problem giving me credit for all my guides. The next 2 times I went they would not take any and said they had too many already on the shelf that weren't selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back