Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PapaSmerf']Ha! Never got that far! I never miss out on too much so I think I will trade for what I missed instead.[/QUOTE]i just look in the gs dumpster. they rip up the guides but there are usually some cool posters, stands, and promos. have even found scratched up games marked as destroyed that i went back in and traded to gs. XD

Well, I imagined to get one of everything I wanted except Mario Kart Wii.... Not that I even have the game, but I was a bit surprised to not see it. Maybe they just weren't where I was looking since the guides are all over the game area.

Anyway, SLIM GATSBY. I went to our two crossover stores. Both had most of the guides. The SS store seems to have the better selection though.

[quote name='sunnysky']Finally had some luck.
Grabbed 3 Gears II LE's.
Forgot what else dropped. I guess I'll stop again tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations. Now all you need is the Fable II's to drop ;).

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Do they send these guides back or trash them?[/QUOTE]

They send them back apparently to sell on their EBay Outlet store. I'm sure the guide publishers would be really happy to learn that Best Buy is making a profit off of pennied out guides.

Have at them:

Pennied:

Afro Samurai
Diablo II
Gears of War 2 LE - 9118466
Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars
Grand Theft Auto The Lost And Damned
Haze
Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
Lego Indiana Jones
Madden NFL 09
Madworld
Mario Kart Wii - 8800611
Metal Gear Solid 4 CE - 8822517
My Sims Kingdom
Pokemon Ranger: SoA - 9132761
Resistance 2 - 9078561
Saints Row 2 - 9078598
Super Mario Galaxy (Premire Edition)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 8695619
Tom Clancy's Endwar

I only got a quick second to post but to the guy drewling over the smash brothers guide: I picked one up just for you. We can figure out a trade later when I have my list up. Got a great second haul at a different store and picked up quite a bit for those who missed out including several MGS LE guides

Only 2 Resistance guides were left at the Woodland Hills BB, and I picked up one. No problem getting it at a penny. Anyone who wants the last one, there you go.

Huh. The stock guide says my local BB has Gears II guide, but I was just there this morning. Hmmm...might be worth it to stop by tomorrow again and see what's up.

[quote name='spideymike']Huh. The stock guide says my local BB has Gears II guide, but I was just there this morning. Hmmm...might be worth it to stop by tomorrow again and see what's up.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that if they got pulled, but not removed from the store inventory they will show up as 'in stock' as well.

Alternatively, they can also be in the lovely obscure PC guide section (where they sometimes put them by mistake or simply because of space issues).

[quote name='PapaSmerf']Congratulations. Now all you need is the Fable II's to drop ;).[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would prefer that the Fallout 3 drop. But Finding a Fable II as well would be nice.

Thanks for posting picked up one of each - Gears of War LE, Resistance 2, Madworld, Saints Row 2 & both grand theft auto guides. These are all pretty good game guides there was no Metal Gear Solid guides left though. Oh well got there 10 mins before they closed. Thanks.

Got almost everything on the list. Unfortunately there hasn't been an MGS IV LE in my area for the last four months (same with Lego Indy). I also didn't find out about Pokemon or MySims until way too late. Oh well.

The BB on S. Lindbergh in South County St. Louis is LOADED with guides. Numerous SR2, SSBB, R2, plus lots of others, only thing they didn't seem to have was MGS4 LE.

I picked up the two guides I couldn't get in trades, so I'm good. This was right at 9PM tonight, so unless they clean them out after close tonight or before open tomorrow, it should be a target-rich environment for STL CAGs.

I always feel akward at BB when I buy guides, since this is the only store where I always buy them (GS occassionally just gives them to me, sale is rare) So I always have to add something, I just find it too wierd to hand them two pennies. Luckly I was still looking for DJ Fever and I happened to snag the last copy, so I'm pretty content with that.

I found the guide I wanted from this drop today(Saint's Row 2), as well as 5-7 copies of the Haze guide. They were all on the one clearance rack. The clerk in media said they'll never lemme get the SR2 guide for .01, but I said 'it's on the clearance rack' to the cashier and not one problem.

I left the copies of the Haze guide, as well as two big ol fat stacks of Madden 09 at the same store.

Now the only guide I need for a game I have is Force Unleashed. Here's hoping the next drop provides that guide for me.

Well, my BB had none so I was going to check the trash as I just figured they had a paper only type dumpster but they had this huge industrial one that connected to the building. Bummed about that but I found a brand new Punch-Out standee and a bunch of mint posters in the GS one so tonight was not a total loss.

I seen so many Brawl guides, it wasn't even funny. I would be really suprised if anyone found more than one MGS 4 LE, if one at all. Wish Block Buster would drop theirs to a penny.

Got only a few guides, but they were the ones I wanted.

[quote name='Collectorguy00']Well, my BB had none so I was going to check the trash as I just figured they had a paper only type dumpster but they had this huge industrial one that connected to the building. Bummed about that but I found a brand new Punch-Out standee and a bunch of mint posters in the GS one so tonight was not a total loss.[/QUOTE]

This makes me feel sad yet proud at the same time. But mostly sad.

Checked one best buy and everything was pulled. Had girlfriend check another (emailed her a list) and they also had everything pulle. Same thing with me collectorguy. their was 2 tvs sitting their but old and crappy tube one and one of those huge 5 feet high 2 feet deep ones. so a bad night for me.

I got lucky:

Afro Samurai
Gears of War 2 LE (x2)
Grand Theft Auto China Town Wars
Grand Theft Auto The Lost And Damned
Madworld
Resistance 2

Still would like to get:
Saints Row 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tom Clancy's Endwar

If anyone wants to trade, PM me. I also have an extra Fable II LE and an Infinite Undiscovery available.

Aaagh, the one store that had a ton of LEs for MGS4 were all out. Does anyone have the SKU off the pricetag for the guide?

Got everything else I wanted except for the Lost and the Damned guide tho. A medium sized list, but very good drops at Best Buy.

EDIT: Never mind, noticed someone posted a link to BB.com for the LE! Thanks! It still says that the store I didn't see the LE at has them... odd... what could that mean? Sitting in the back somewhere? Inaccurate stock system?

[quote name='Josef']They send them back apparently to sell on their EBay Outlet store. I'm sure the guide publishers would be really happy to learn that Best Buy is making a profit off of pennied out guides.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, I had never noticed that. Hmmm, it's probably just their central warehouse that supplies the BB site that does this. Starting prices should be lower, but the free shipping is nice. Actually not a bad way to get a guide if you miss it for a penny.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/best_...t=0&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313&_odkw=&_osacat=0

I got shut down at 8 best buys yesterday morning. I wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spork by the time I got to number 8 and they had another unorganized shelf of guides with the penny guides pulled.

Sadly, the one that has always delivered in the past got a new media manager and she gutted their section sunday night after closing.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Aaagh, the one store that had a ton of LEs for MGS4 were all out. Does anyone have the SKU off the pricetag for the guide?

Got everything else I wanted except for the Lost and the Damned guide tho. A medium sized list, but very good drops at Best Buy.

EDIT: Never mind, noticed someone posted a link to BB.com for the LE! Thanks! It still says that the store I didn't see the LE at has them... odd... what could that mean? Sitting in the back somewhere? Inaccurate stock system?[/QUOTE]Assuming it's working on the same stock levels that in-store pickup is driven off of, then if it's showing as black text for the store info, there should be 3+ of them in-stock. If it's greyed out, then there's 0-2 of them available.

ok so some weird news. i checked again on that mgs CE penny drop. its the same one i checked yesterday, and they told my gf this morning that it is still full price.. wtf . i put the sku in, i had her check it, and it is the same one. so are they lieing to me? and if so can they even do that, if something comes up in the system as whatever price then they should sell it at that price. can they charge me full if it shows up in the system as a penny?

Maybe this is an old drop, but I got Call of Duty Modern Warfare pennied at a local BB. They even had .01 price stickers on all the pennied guides except Haze. Thanks for the list I got all I wanted except Mario Galaxy.

[quote name='DragynFyre']ok so some weird news. i checked again on that mgs CE penny drop. its the same one i checked yesterday, and they told my gf this morning that it is still full price.. wtf . i put the sku in, i had her check it, and it is the same one. so are they lieing to me? and if so can they even do that, if something comes up in the system as whatever price then they should sell it at that price. can they charge me full if it shows up in the system as a penny?[/QUOTE]

It has happened before. IIRC, BF: Bad Company and SW: Lightsaber Duels (among others) were dropped for one day before they realized that a mistake had been made. They raised the price back to MSRP but pennied them again in the next drop.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Maybe this is an old drop, but I got Call of Duty Modern Warfare pennied at a local BB. They even had .01 price stickers on all the pennied guides except Haze. Thanks for the list I got all I wanted except Mario Galaxy.[/QUOTE]

I don't think CoD4:MW has ever been pennied at BB. It's on the list of guides the were checked and NOT pennied and Fuss didn't mention it. Can anyone else confirm? I don't even recall seeing CoD4:MW in the BBs in my area.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']
EDIT: Never mind, noticed someone posted a link to BB.com for the LE! Thanks! It still says that the store I didn't see the LE at has them... odd... what could that mean? Sitting in the back somewhere? Inaccurate stock system?[/QUOTE]

Whats the link? I'm trying to page back and find it myself otherwise. thanks in advance!

edit: nvm found it! http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-131273...%7Encabcat0700000%23%233%23%235&pagetype=page

[quote name='Wolve11']Glad I was able to hook up 4 of my fellow CAGs with MGS 4 LE guides. I can't believe the amount of PMs I got for it.[/QUOTE]

d'oh! any more ? ;)

I just got 2 Endwar for free (cool cashier) at the BB on 5ave and 44st NYC.
These were the only pennied guides there.

The guides scanned at 1 cent each and when I tried to pay; the cashier muttered "2 cents!?! just go" and give me a receipt.

I scanned the receipt, but I'm new so I have no idea how to post a Pdf or even if anyone want to see a receipt.

I will trade endwar for almost any (non-xbox only game) guides because I only have a PS3 and I only own one other guide. No really, I only have an "Army of Two" guide.
Last thing, I will only traded in person either in NYC and Northern NJ (Fort Lee area).

Readthepost

[quote name='Readthepost']

I scanned the receipt, but I'm new so I have no idea how to post a Pdf or even if anyone want to see a receipt.
[/QUOTE]

thanks for the offer but its cool. You saved 2 cents, so dont trouble yourself with scanning it. This happens from time to time and I dont think any CAG will complain if they do pay 1 cent a guide.
Nice and good for you!

[quote name='180husher']This makes me feel sad yet proud at the same time. But mostly sad.[/QUOTE]

Meh, some people got a problem with it, some don't. It's not like there is food or anything in it, just alot of boxes and other GS stuff.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Maybe this is an old drop, but I got Call of Duty Modern Warfare pennied at a local BB. They even had .01 price stickers on all the pennied guides except Haze. Thanks for the list I got all I wanted except Mario Galaxy.[/QUOTE]

Hmm didnt know that was dropped too.. did they manually adjust it or did it ring up a penny?

Oh & my BB still rocks for penny guides.. grabbed some for my groups next LAN party to give out for prizes. The EB Games locally toss everything out when they drop but BB has been good to me.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Note to self: next time you expect a big drop to happen at BB, hide a couple of the better guides the night before.[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and hide them now. Of course you still risk the cashier not selling them to you.

went today and got one mario kart wii, one super smash bros brawl, one gta lost and the damned, and then I saw 4 Gears of war LE guides..so i asked some guy in a yellow shirt (high up manager type guy) to check the price...MISTAKE!! he went in the back and came out with out it and said it had to be pulled..so i ran to get the other three before he could take them, but he must have radio-ed someone else cause a woman in a white shirt (high up as well) stopped me and said "because im nice, ill let you walk out with one of each..but no more"...so i ended up only get one gears of war LE guide...

too bad, next time i wont ask anyone, and if I do it will be a blue shirt, cause they are cooler and dont care about losing the company money..they actually congratulate me when i find them....

Last edited by a moderator:
In Dallas for business, went to North Irving BB because the link said they had mkart & ssb in stock. When I got there, they were pulled. I asked a blue shirt lady, who looked oblivious. Asked about them, and told her the web said they were in stock. She looked on the computer, and asked where I found it (told her I don't know). She wondered in the back, came back out with them. 'Do you have any other shopping?'. Nope. She walked me to the front door, said the manager said she couldn't sell them, so the customer asking could have them. Walked out without even spending the 2 cents.
Irving location had gta:l&d, gta:cw, gears2 le, madworld, and afro samurai. Got them all except afro!
My carry one now weighs too much.

[quote name='Sa2vador']FEAR 2 guide pennied at Gamestop today. Apparently that was the only one that did today.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update. I'll add it to the second post once verified.

First time I ever scored some penny guides. Got

GTA: CTW
GTA: L&D
Resistance 2

I would have gotten Mario Galaxy but there was no barcode for it. WTF

[quote name='Estebon']First time I ever scored some penny guides. Got

GTA: CTW
GTA: L&D
Resistance 2

I would have gotten Mario Galaxy but there was no barcode for it. WTF[/QUOTE]

Was it the LE or the standard edition? I ask because I think when they're both shrink wrapped they only have the barcode up on a sheet of paper behind the guide and under the wrapping.

But, did the SMG guide have a yellow Best Buy sticker on it? If so, they could've just entered the SKU number from it(usually on those price stickers UNDER the price). That's how I picked up two standalone Assassin's Creed artbooks which were torn away from the guide/artbook bundle they normally came in.

[quote name='cblakerobinson']I would like a Smash Bros. guide if anyone got an extra...CML please.[/QUOTE]

I've been being lenient and not asking the mods to step in and delete all thinly veiled trade requests, but I made one myself(asking for Force Unleashed), so for now I'll digress on this.

But please keep trade requests where they belong(in the trade thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back