Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread X(Ten)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Furthermore, I would like to thank our Wiki editors HeatDolphin and Rocko for updating the Wiki. Great job.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trading Clearinghouse(old one, locked now):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=102021

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

Guide Lists(master drop lists and recent drops):

Master Drop List(by store, alphabetically):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28master_lists%29

Recent Guide Drops(by date,also check the second post in this thread):

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_%28recent_drops%29

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187222

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinavere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?

A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks CAG! Here is my modest haul:

picture.php

[quote name='token2k6']yeah dude, jesus! I'm all for these penny guides, but don't you fear they might 'blacklist' you at that location now?? I generally grab as many as I can carry, but I'm not going to fill up a cart!! I could barely carry the 7 guides I grabbed...[/QUOTE]

Plus, anyone else going in after him won't have anything to buy. Glad I don't live near him. I'd be pretty pissed if I went in to get a few for myself and they were wiped clean by one person.

Oh man...my local has some available for pick up. Should I try it??? I think it would be funny more than anything, just when they see the order come through, but I snag a lot of the good deals there, and I get the feeling they might get pissy.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']
I don't want to threadcrap, or start another ten page fight or anything, but shouldn't we not use the website to ship penny guides or order/pick them up in store? That's going to draw a lot of attention to penny guides at the corporate level, I would think.[/QUOTE]
You think buying penny guides online is going to be any more of a red flag than the hundreds of guides being sold at retail? I'd imagine it's even less so, regardless of the quantity.

In the latter case, there are employees touching the situation at every step, whereas online the only person involved (picking and packing) probably doesn't see or care about the price.

Yes, because the online sales go through a single avenue; there are hundreds of Best Buys throughout the country, corporate can't keep up with all of the retail transactions that go through the system.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Yes, because the online sales go through a single avenue; there are hundreds of Best Buys throughout the country, corporate can't keep up with all of the retail transactions that go through the system.[/QUOTE]
But managers keep track of everything at their stores, particularly when they're called over to half of the check-out transactions. Best Buy's policy is already to pull and destroy the penny guides, so I don't know what else they could do besides the usual "no, seriously, pull and destroy the guides" which lasts as long as the employees care.

And technically all the store transactions are processed through a single avenue as well, otherwise you couldn't use a receipt from one store to return at another.

I can't believe the website hasn't been fixed yet. We are going on what, 6 hours of them being available there? You'd think someone would be a little more on top of that.

[quote name='botticus']But managers keep track of everything at their stores, particularly when they're called over to half of the check-out transactions. Best Buy's policy is already to pull and destroy the penny guides, so I don't know what else they could do besides the usual "no, seriously, pull and destroy the guides" which lasts as long as the employees care.[/QUOTE]

They could fire the media manager for not doing his job, which would wake up a lot of employees in that store. I'm probably just being slightly paranoid over the whole issue, though.

My store is "remodeling" and no longer has a Strategy Guide section anymore. :whistle2:? Instead, they just have about 10 titles or so for the newest releases set above the game shelves. I was able to locate Fallout 3 and Gears 2, but after taking about 5 laps looking for the guide section, I finally asked someone. He said they were all in the back and asked what I was looking for, so I just asked for the one I wanted most: Metroid Prime. $0.03 worth of dem shitz grabbed.

[quote name='polishpride212']A lot of the guides are $.01 on BestBuys website. Shipping kills the deal ($5), but it is decent if you want to combine it with another purchase.[/QUOTE]

If you only need/want one guide or they actually dropped a guide that's worth something(Fallout 3 CE was at one point), then $5 shipping is a steal for a guide.

While not as good a price as a penny, it's still better than $20 plus tax.

I'm gonna just go up there and check. I see that some of you don't agree, but I really don't want to push it.
I have made a stir quite a few times getting .01 guides, but have never been flat out denied. If I submit an order, it'll have my name all over it, and most likely someone else will be called to check it out for a 3 cent order. It's just not worth it.
Believe it or not, I've been getting such sick deals there as of late with various clearances and coupons, etc..., a few penny guides really aren't worth risking that.

If they still have them on the shelf, I'll, of course, grab them.

I wouldn't be concerned about ordering items off the website. They have had penny items (other stuff besides guides) for years and I have ordered them in the past for shipping and for in store pickup and never had a problem. They must be aware of it otherwise it would have stopped a long time ago.

2 years ago they had die cast motorcycles, some model Dinosaur kit (from Night at the Museum) and a few other items. I ordered a few of each item and the order total was around $0.12 with tax. They didn't care at all when I picked it up.

Found about everything (forgot to look for TR: Underworld). The cashier asked a manager why they were ringing up for a penny. The mgr. mentioned how they must of pennied out and she could sell them to me but he was going to pull the rest. I had only grabbed 1 of eachm but was going to make another trip for some to trade.

This store hasn't pulled any guides in about 6 months and I'm afraid that damn cashier just reminded them about pulling guides. Damn.

[quote name='sgaldis']I'm gonna just go up there and check. I see that some of you don't agree, but I really don't want to push it.
I have made a stir quite a few times getting .01 guides, but have never been flat out denied. If I submit an order, it'll have my name all over it, and most likely someone else will be called to check it out for a 3 cent order. It's just not worth it.
Believe it or not, I've been getting such sick deals there as of late with various clearances and coupons, etc..., a few penny guides really aren't worth risking that.

If they still have them on the shelf, I'll, of course, grab them.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy has deals? Since when? I've never found a deal that wasn't a total ripoff from Best Buy before.

The only good 'deal' they had was the Product Replacement Plan and since they got rid of that the store has been totally worthless to me as a chain. Nothing says cheapass like getting a newer model of a game system or whatever for less than 1/4th of the cost of it thanks to their extra warranty program.

But since that program is done now, I have no desire to buy shit from them.

[quote name='kell']Found about everything (forgot to look for TR: Underworld). The cashier asked a manager why they were ringing up for a penny. The mgr. mentioned how they must of pennied out and she could sell them to me but he was going to pull the rest. I had only grabbed 1 of eachm but was going to make another trip for some to trade.

This store hasn't pulled any guides in about 6 months and I'm afraid that damn cashier just reminded them about pulling guides. Damn.[/QUOTE]

That's why you grab as many as you want for whatever purposes and don't just 'test the waters'(like I did on that fucked up drop a while ago), since if you get denied after you only grabbed some for yourself then you're SOL if they decide to pull the rest.

A lot of the BB deals are YMMV, he may be talking about that. Aside from penny guide there are never any good deals here. No managers clearance, nothing at all worth buying

Fallout 3 hardcover (non GOTY) is still pennied at BB. I picked up one today.

Checked and these are NOT pennied:

RE5 softcover
Prince of Persia softcover
Force Unleashed 9.99

wait, so are we saying that ordering online for In-Store Pickup a) will not work? or b) is frowned upon and suggested not to do it?? b/c I got my cart ready to go...wanna pull the trigger!!

[quote name='token2k6']wait, so are we saying that ordering online for In-Store Pickup a) will not work? or b) is frowned upon and suggested not to do it?? b/c I got my cart ready to go...wanna pull the trigger!![/QUOTE]
Pull the trigger. The worst that can happen is you get an email telling you they won't allow the pick up. If that happens call 1800-BestBuy and get them shipped to your place for free. That's what I did.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's why you grab as many as you want for whatever purposes and don't just 'test the waters'(like I did on that fucked up drop a while ago), since if you get denied after you only grabbed some for yourself then you're SOL if they decide to pull the rest.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he would have sold them to me if I would have had 20 guides. I think a manager is less likely to let the sale go through if you have a bunch of doubles. In fact, the one today did take a look at the ones I was buying. That's why I play it safe with one of each to get a feel for the cashier.

Try to pick up a DVD or games to go with stack of guides can prevent the cashier from getting the manager. They freak out when the total is less than a quarter. U can always return the fame/DVD later

[quote name='supaet']Try to pick up a DVD or games to go with stack of guides can prevent the cashier from getting the manager. They freak out when the total is less than a quarter. U can always return the fame/DVD later[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion, but in my experience it hasn't made a difference. If the cashier is worried about an item ringing up for a penny they are going to call for a manager matter what. I've been buying these for years and have tried a lot of scenarios.

What I was worried about today was that I was in at opening meaning it was less crowded. With no one in line behind me the cashier didn't have a problem taking the time to call and wait for someone.

FYI, for the jerks complaining about me hoarding: I left multiple copies of guides when possible(for example, I only found one Wolfenstien so I got it for myself, but if there were more than two of a guide, I only grabbed two)

Someone got over 100 and one person said they got 70. Go jump on their case instead of mine!!

The girl was about to call her manager over, but I told her that the guides were listed as a penny on the website as well. She was like, "Really? Okay then" and everything was good :D

ok I did it, bought the 3 guides I couldn't find for in-store pickup! added Halloween (Zombie's Version) BD for $13 (great price for that film!) I don't see how they can take back the deal once you've already done in-store pickup. I mean, I paid for the WHOLE transaction, so it doesn't seem like they can hold back the guides but give me the BD...if they do I'm going to not be happy. Plus, to further complicate things, I used PayPal, I'm sure that's not easy to refund to, especially for the hassle of .03 cents....

went to BB during lunch time and picked up

2 X Fallout3 regular ed.
Infamous
Motal Kombat vs. DC Uni.
Street Fighter IV
Wolfenstain
Little Big Planet
Ghostbusters
UFC 2009

Thanks CAGs.

[quote name='supaet']Try to pick up a DVD or games to go with stack of guides can prevent the cashier from getting the manager. They freak out when the total is less than a quarter. U can always return the fame/DVD later[/QUOTE]

I've tried that before and it hasn't worked for me, so I stopped trying it soon after trying for the one and only time.

If they're gonna say no, they're gonna say no regardless of if you pad the guide purchase with something else.

How is anyone getting free shipping when ordering these online for delivery? I'm charged over $5 for each guide if I select them to be shipped.

[quote name='ZCG']How is anyone getting free shipping when ordering these online for delivery? I'm charged over $5 for each guide if I select them to be shipped.[/QUOTE]If a Best Buy store marks an item as "no pick", which means they don't have it, you can call BB.com and have them change the order to a shippable order with free shipping.

[quote name='ZCG']Thanks so much shrike :)[/QUOTE]That's assuming the item can be shipped from the warehouse, of course.

If it says the item is not available for shipping or they can't move it to another store and have them fulfill it, you're out of luck.

They'll normally ask you how you want to handle it, and I've opted both options, free shipping order or move to another store to fulfill it, without any issue.

Picked up 2 Fallout 3 and 1 Gears of War 2. As usually, no problems.

There were tons of more guides, but I don't feel like picking them up to flip, as it is way too much work to put them all on eBay just to get a few bucks per copy.

Might go back and pick some guides as gifts or games I might buy in the future. Actually I will go back seeing that the hard cover edition of Fallout 3 has pennied. Should I return the regular edition?:whistle2:k

[quote name='boneless']IATCG, you may have made a mistake on the list in the first post. It has NCAA 10 guide as pennied which I doubt would be this early.[/QUOTE]

NCAA 10 pennied today. I can confirm this.

I usually do the "buy something else at the same time" method when picking up guides, but I'm thinking it doesn't really impact things though. At the store closest to my work I had the cashier start freaking out today when the guides were ringing up at .01 each and called the manager over. It happens that it was the same guy who they called over when I scored guides at the last drop and just like at the last drop he said "Yes they should ring up as a penny, we are supposed to pull them, but since this guy beat us to it then he can have them". I was about to give the guy a high five, but I thought that might be overkill! :lol: I really don't think this store cares about penny guides though because they still have Wolverine guides from 2 months ago on shelf.

But like others had said, they are either going to give you the guides or shut you down, regardless of if you buy something or not.

[quote name='ZCG']How is anyone getting free shipping when ordering these online for delivery? I'm charged over $5 for each guide if I select them to be shipped.[/QUOTE]

Three words: Reward Zone Silver.

If you spent over $2,500 at BB last year, you're a member.

[quote name='Doomstink']Three words: Reward Zone Silver.

If you spent over $2,500 at BB last year, you're a member.[/QUOTE]

totally forgot about that :bomb:

Got plenty of stuff.

LBP x3
Infamous x1
Street Fighter IV x3
Wolfenstein x2
MK vs DC Universe x2
Gears of War 2 x3
Fossil Fighters x2
LOZ TP x1
Ghostbusters x1
Transformers ROTF x1
UFC x1
Metroid Prime Trilogy x2
Indiana Jones Staff of Kings x1

No Fallout 3. :( Saw plenty of FO3GOTY guides, both regular and CE. Also forgot to check the PC section for Spore guides but whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back