Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm putting together an excel worksheet comparing stock at local stores of possible drops so I can plan my movements tomorrow if there is a drop. :D

Anyone know when the guides appeared first(time of day) on the website as $.01 at the last drop?

dabamus...OCD a little? lol on the spreadsheet creation. but how are you tracking actual quantities?..the web site can't be good for that unless you're tricking the cart..

last time they appeared at .01 was reported day of, not earlier. what's important to remember is the post last page (?) of guides that are not showing up online. They seem like the most likely candidates..unlikely they will repost them onto BB.com even if they are a penny..

I'd say the chances of a good number of the ones lox posted dropping is a very strong possibility, since some of those on that first list have been out quite a while now(especially the original GTA IV guide).

However, my local two BB stores no longer have even ONE copy of it in stock, so either they're stashed in the back, junked out already, sold out or they've been moved to the Outlet Center page on BestBuy.com or whatever else they do with old guides that haven't moved in a while.

No, not OCD... much :p

I'm just making a spreadsheet of which local stores have the guidimies in stock that are listed on the site as "limited availability" to figure out where to go first tomorrow to check for a drop.

Right now it's looking like I'm headed towards Cleveland instead of Akron/Canton due to the Akron/Canton stores not listing the MW2 LE, AC2 LE, and FO3 GOTY LE guides in stock.
Of course I'll have my mobile command center(aka laptop) to post updates on what I find.

Luckily there are panera's most places so I can camp out til BB opens. :p

[quote name='dabamus']No, not OCD... much :p

I'm just making a spreadsheet of which local stores have the guidimies in stock that are listed on the site as "limited availability" to figure out where to go first tomorrow to check for a drop.

Right now it's looking like I'm headed towards Cleveland instead of Akron/Canton due to the Akron/Canton stores not listing the MW2 LE, AC2 LE, and FO3 GOTY LE guides in stock.
Of course I'll have my mobile command center(aka laptop) to post updates on what I find.

Luckily there are panera's most places so I can camp out til BB opens. :p[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, Mcdonalds has free wifi now too :)

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Just a heads up, Mcdonalds has free wifi now too :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know, but they make you login around where I live. At least I had to have a login and password last time I checked on my iPod.

I stick to Panera and Borders.

That's the way it was last year apparently, but that was also on the first monday of the month still at that time.

Lately it's been the 3rd Monday which is further away from new years day.

[quote name='lawdood']Don't we usually see the first drops of the year in February rather than January?[/QUOTE]

For Best Buy, yes.

We should be keeping a close eye on GameStop this week/next week with the fiscal year for them ending late this month. Did we have anyone that compiled a list of what's on GameStop's site for guides like Lox has for Best Buy?

How the hell I get to be Mr. Popular here? :)

Sorry to say though, that I don't work until 3 tomorrow. I could be able to provide verification if any dropped then however.

I don't think there will be any drops tomorrow. Seems like next week would be more ideal for a drop. I hope I'm wrong though, I need that GTA IV and or Fallout 3 GOTY LE guide.

[quote name='dabamus']I'm just guessing based on the 3rd Monday of the month thing like they did for the last few drops.[/QUOTE]

Actually, looking back at the last few drops, and looking at a calender (where does the time fly?), you're right. It does seem possible there could be a drop tomorrow.

I'm planning on heading up to Mayfield Heights tomorrow and then branching out from there if there is a drop. I'll post ASAP if there isn't one, and midway through my trip if there is one.

If there's a drop tomorrow I'll probably wait the typical 2-3 days before trying my two local stores for anything, since if I'm not going to be in the area anymore on the day of a drop I don't make a special trip like I used to.

No, sorry Pooky. I didn't notice which ones. I just noticed that the count of "game guide" results in a search went from 73 to 59.

[quote name='dabamus']FYI, 14 guides just dropped off BB's site.

Looks like we have a drop coming today. :D[/QUOTE]

59 guides. Looks normal as I look on the site right now. Did you find out what was missing?

[quote name='dabamus']No, sorry Pooky. I didn't notice which ones. I just noticed that the count of "game guide" results in a search went from 73 to 59.[/QUOTE]

It's been like that for the last several days. 1 or 2 guides were removed last week, but that's about it.

[quote name='dabamus']No, sorry Pooky. I didn't notice which ones. I just noticed that the count of "game guide" results in a search went from 73 to 59.[/QUOTE]
not to mention many of these guides were dead half a year ago.

my guesses...
RE5?
Prototype?
Cod4: reflex?? lol

[quote name='Dahk']I hope the drops are today. I havent been guide hunting in awhile.[/QUOTE]

I hope before you make it to the post office..;)

yeah, I totally have my lunch break planned out to hit up two possible BB's. going to one for sure to PM a $15 difference on a BD :)

lol, you going in with a basket or a cart?? you've got guts dabamus, going w/o anything being confirmed!! hope you're at least going to pick up something else to make the trip worth it..

I live less than a mile from a best buy so when they open I can check the Kiosk to see if there were any new drops. I should be able to post back by 10:30.

[quote name='Bezerker']I live less than a mile from a best buy so when they open I can check the Kiosk to see if there were any new drops. I should be able to post back by 10:30.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I wasnt able to find anything via the Kiosk. Basically when you search it shows up as "73" results, then when you actually click on it it only comes up with 59.

It doesn't necessarily mean there wasnt a penny drop, it just means that if there was one, they wont be available for order. Another thing i'm wondering about, is if the penny drops from Early october are still available on the website because they never dropped to a penny on the public website (only the kiosK), if the "missing" 14 are the guides that dropped in late October (SFIV, Fallout, Zelda, LBP, etc) and were taken off the website because they went public for a penny.

No drops. :(

I had a guy check 6 different guides, three from each list(the ones pulled from the site, but still in store; and the list of limited availability guyides) and none dropped. :(

Yeah it seemed the last 3 drops in the fall were around the 20th. Those were some monster drops so hopefully Feb/March continue.

It seems that the old drops keep popping up at the Canton, OH store. Today I found a Metroid Prime Trilogy guide and last time I found a Wolfenstein guide.

I don't think it's that they are lazy. The ones at Montrose are lazy, not canton.

It's just that they keep finding guides places and putting them out on the rack. There are 2 foot high piles of guides under the rack, but I didn't see any penny ones in there.

That's what used to happen around here ALOT in times past, was that the employees would find old guides in the back and end up putting them out. For a while I was finding guides that were pulled 5-8 months earlier back out on the shelf.

But with the glut of games coming out now there's more than enough new guides for the new games out there, so none of the employees are doing this anymore.

Either that or someone finally told them to destroy the guides once they're pulled and they actually destroy them.

I was at a best buy and picked up a copy of the World at War guide. Grabbed it since I just got the game at the last HWV sale. Also picked up a pack of gum too, cashier scanned the guide, looked at the price funny, deleted it, then scanned it again. She was confused, then just said, if it's a penny, dont worry about it.

[quote name='neocisco']Did everybody forget that Monday was a holiday? BB corporate was closed.[/QUOTE]

In the past, Best Buy had some penny drops on holidays (in particular MLK day and President's Day). Other things dropped in price on the site on Monday as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back