Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI on the Amazon guide trade-ins...according to Amazon's trade-in policy, you're only allowed to trade in 3 of the same item in a 3 month period. Just something to note before you send in 15 Mario Kart Wii guides.

I locked and sent in 34 guides after this was mentioned in the Amazon trade-in thread around May 11th/12th. Took me a couple days to lock everything in and another 6 to ship it out...but I shipped on the 21st, it was received on the 26th, and the last box was just processed today. 34 guides = $200 Amazon credit. Glad I got in on it before everyone else started paying attention. :)

FWIW, I sent in the best copies I had (that I wasn't keeping for myself) and I cleaned off every single price tag and sticker. Any of them that were sealed, I left sealed. This may be necessary since some of the Prima 'premiere edition' guides include an insert with the ISBN barcode/number...there are no ISBNs on the outside covers. Obviously, they could have looked inside the book for the ISBN, but I didn't want to get someone who was lazy processing my guides, so I decided to make it as easy as possible. And triple-check to make sure the ISBNs match. That's what they'll be looking for. There were a couple guides available for trade-in that looked identical, but had different ISBNs.

Good luck, everyone.

[quote name='eugaet']FYI on the Amazon guide trade-ins...according to Amazon's trade-in policy, you're only allowed to trade in 3 of the same item in a 3 month period. Just something to note before you send in 15 Mario Kart Wii guides.

I locked and sent in 34 guides after this was mentioned in the Amazon trade-in thread around May 11th/12th. Took me a couple days to lock everything in and another 6 to ship it out...but I shipped on the 21st, it was received on the 26th, and the last box was just processed today. 34 guides = $200 Amazon credit.

Glad I got in on it before everyone else started paying attention. :)[/QUOTE]

Damn that's awesome! :hot::applause:

Too bad they don't allow more than 3 of any guide, as I'd hit up the local shop to buy back a few of the ones I used to have shitloads of.

EDIT: Sonofabitch. Case in point, the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion revised guides that covered 360 and PC. I had like 10+ of those at one point. They're worth $16.20 EACH.

And Dungeons & Dragons Online Stormreach is worth $5.36 a copy.

fuck.

Only new things I noticed today,
Resident Evil 5 and Mass Effect 2 Collectors Edition dropped to discontinued, Lego Indy 2 and Bioshock 2 Collectors Edition went back to Active and Battlefield Bad Company 2 dropped to $14.99 (unless it's always been that low)
Also ODST but that was covered.

[quote name='dabamus']Nothing dropped today except the ODST guide dropping to $5 online and instore.[/QUOTE]

umm, I would say this is pretty good, in fact, gonna check now, and do in-store pickup..seems worth it. I'm not holding my breath any more for BB penny drops, especially with rogue pulls a possibility..grab dem shits while you can actually grab dem shits! :lol:

edit, and I checked Sabotuer again, $9.99, so nothing on that list appears to have dropped..

Ok so I've never used Amazon for any kind of trade in. How do you get the guides to hold in price? I put a bunch of them I had before work and I was just adding some more while at work and noticed Okami for the Wii is no longer available to trade in but I had some in my cart. Now it's gone :(

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Ok so I've never used Amazon for any kind of trade in. How do you get the guides to hold in price? I put a bunch of them I had before work and I was just adding some more while at work and noticed Okami for the Wii is no longer available to trade in but I had some in my cart. Now it's gone :([/QUOTE]

You needed to "submit" the trade in. Unfortunately, keeping items in your trade in cart does not hold the value.

good point 62t! this just seems like a quick fix for those w/ boxes of guides. I double checked a lot of mine and can really only trade in a handful, not thinking its worth the effort, rather keep them for CAG trades I guess..

[quote name='62t']just keep in mind that a lot of the guides that amazon take it will sell for a lot more on marketplace[/QUOTE]
Which is why I'm only letting go of stuff AFTER I check the Fleabay value of them.;)

Some guides have multiple entries though, with one saying it's not able to be traded in and the other giving a value for it. Okami is one of these. I believe it might be the PS2 version guide that has the value attached to it.

EDIT: I was right on that. The one with the brown-ish cover is the older one(the one for the PS2 version) and it gets $11.05.

http://www.amazon.com/Okami-Officia...F8&s=textbooks-trade-in&qid=1275342834&sr=1-3

The Wii version:
http://www.amazon.com/Okami-Officia...F8&s=textbooks-trade-in&qid=1275342941&sr=1-2

One guide that kind of shocked me with its value to Amazon is Red Dead Revolver. It gets $11.99.

I did about 35 guides for average of $45. Most were $1-2. Really not worth hassle of selling and shipping individually and it makes a bit more room on my shelf.

[quote name='Brian9824']I did about 35 guides for average of $45. Most were $1-2. Really not worth hassle of selling and shipping individually and it makes a bit more room on my shelf.[/QUOTE]
This is exactly why I'm considering dumping the remainder of my guides that have any value to Amazon and just keeping the handful that have real value that the Amazon prices can't match.

I do maybe 2-5 guide trades/sales a year MAX on CAG, with alot of bumping my trade thread in between and getting 'I'll give you $2 shipped for X or Y guide', which doesn't even cover shipping/packaging.

I know we're all cheapasses on here and everything, but some folks take it to the extreme.

EDIT: WOW. For selling just 18 guides, I could get $156 in Amazon credit. Why haven't I done this before?

[quote name='Estebon']My local BB has a stack of Hao ODST on a 50% off rack. I should go clean them up for $2.50 a piece.[/QUOTE]

haha, I wouldn't go too crazy! I saw a crap ton at the BB I went to, but I have never seen a guide on a clearance rack, that would be sweet!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
EDIT: WOW. For selling just 18 guides, I could get $156 in Amazon credit. Why haven't I done this before?[/QUOTE]

Yeah - did the same thing this morning... I am not going to keep a ton of guides... I think most that have any value are going in to Amazon...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Whoa. Oblivion GOTY guide gets $25.60. Too bad I couldn't grab all dem shitz when they dropped.[/QUOTE]

Don't trade that in. Sold mine on Amazon marketplace for $100+ a few months back.

[quote name='worshipsf']Don't trade that in. Sold mine on Amazon marketplace for $100+ a few months back.[/QUOTE]
If I had them, I'd rather trade them into Amazon rather than deal with a buyer who may try and scam me and say they didn't get it or it was not as described.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I had them, I'd rather trade them into Amazon rather than deal with a buyer who may try and scam me and say they didn't get it or it was not as described.[/QUOTE]

I would think for a $75 difference it is worth the chance

[quote name='62t']I would think for a $75 difference it is worth the chance[/QUOTE]
Not if I end up losing all of the money completely due to some scammy mf'er it's not. Then I'm out the guide AND the money I paid for shipping on top of what they paid for it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not if I end up losing all of the money completely due to some scammy mf'er it's not. Then I'm out the guide AND the money I paid for shipping on top of what they paid for it.[/QUOTE]

I've sold like 6 of them - no problems. $600 for me!

The % of scammers i've encountered vs legit buyers is so low, there's no reason to worry about them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not if I end up losing all of the money completely due to some scammy mf'er it's not. Then I'm out the guide AND the money I paid for shipping on top of what they paid for it.[/QUOTE]

Delivery Confirmation.

eBay it, you are covered no matter what they say.

Thing is, if you noticed, I said IF I had them. I wish I had a bunch of those. But they dropped at BB right around the time the stores I used to have NO problems getting them for .01 each started really cracking down. So I walked out empty handed multiple times from those stores.

EDIT: Wow. I just got done doing the math and going back over both of my guide lists. I can send in 32 guides and get $202.99 total. Not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
EDIT: Wow. I just got done doing the math and going back over both of my guide lists. I can send in 30 guides and get $194.37 total. Not bad.[/QUOTE]

Meh. 23 for $80.xx... I guess that's not so bad for 23 cents, but it's nowhere close to you...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Meh. 23 for $80.xx... I guess that's not so bad for 23 cents, but it's nowhere close to you...[/QUOTE]
That's cuz I'm clearing out alot of higher value stuff with the $1.90 dreck too though.:cry:

Here's my list thus far:

Aliens Vs. Predator-$3.92
Bioshock(360 and PS3/360 versions)-$2.68 for 360, $3.70 for PS3
Brutal Legend-$4.65 each x2-9.30
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare-$5.55
Dissidia Final Fantasy-$3.75
Far Cry 2-$2.10
Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions-$11.71 each x3-35.13
God Of War 2-$4.70
Lost Odyssey-$14.15
Mass Effect Collector's Edition-$14.39-selling the artbook alone
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2-$1.95 each-$3.90
Red Dead Revolver-$11.99
Rogue Galaxy-$8.95
Silent Hill Homecoming-$3.08
Super Mario Galaxy Hardcover-$7.77 each x3-23.31
Tales Of Legendia-$2.78
Tekken 6-$1.85 each x3-$5.55
Uncharted-$14.99
Wild Arms 4-$1.91 each x2-$3.82
WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010-$3.15
Xenosaga III-$11.05 x2-22.10

And yes, I know some of these would be better sold on Ebay, but I don't have the patience for it. I'm also considering plopping 3 copies of the Zelda: Phantom Hourglass guide into the massive box I intend on sending these all in since they get $5.20 a pop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I had them, I'd rather trade them into Amazon rather than deal with a buyer who may try and scam me and say they didn't get it or it was not as described.[/QUOTE]

I will be more than happy to check your list before you submit them and offer you the same price if I need them. I may be a "jerk" to the mods and some other sensitive cags, but i'm an honest guy. I won't jerk you around and try and lowball you.

Same goes for anyone else. If the guide is in perfect condition, if I need it, i'll take it off your hands.

This is what pisses me off about Gamecrazy getting rid of their guides. I found a nugget or two when one nearby closed and I was going to drive 30+ miles to others for more potential finds. Rat bastards.

[quote name='SillyWilly1718']Delivery Confirmation.

eBay it, you are covered no matter what they say.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

All that proves is they got it. If they say to eBay it's torn or wrinkled or smells bad or isn't shiny enough, etc...

They will always get a refund. They will have to send the guide back to you, but eBay will refund them as soon as it shows delivered. Meaning they could put a coloring book in a box, ship it, and as soon as the UPS guy drops it off, they get their dough back.

actually whatever lame stories are being fed to you guys about ebay and amazon is wrong. ive got well established perfect rating stores on both amazon and ebay. never had a single person in years try and claim anything fraud etc..the systems are just as fair to sellers as they are buyers. perfect example being i just recently few weeks ago bought some sealed ff6 games off amazon and they were bootlegs. amazon said i had to mail them at my expense the fake games and the only reason i got my money back is cause i video taped the package being opened and showing proof of everything.

gauu is my ebay name same as gametz and here. amazon is under my email which is my email for here [email protected]. reason why i video taped the opening of the package is cause it was a new user on amazon and when i asked them why amazon listed them as from ohio but my package was coming from arkansas his answer was oh thats our packing plant. basically with amazon sellers are protected just as much as buyers. with ebay you can put listing restrictions to block bad users,users with negative feedbacks or non paying,..etc..

thanks man. i started doing the ebay/amazon stuff to help increase my own personal rpg collection. back on track to guides. i stopped in my local gamestop on friday and noticed that half the guides were 50% off. anyone able to confirm is this how they are treating pennied guides now???

[quote name='gauu']thanks man. i started doing the ebay/amazon stuff to help increase my own personal rpg collection. back on track to guides. i stopped in my local gamestop on friday and noticed that half the guides were 50% off. anyone able to confirm is this how they are treating pennied guides now???[/QUOTE]

Sorry to double post...GS usually drops guides to 50% and then will penny them at a later date. They are usually too lazy to update the tags.

Guys, can we cut the talk of all the guide flipping in here and move it to the discussion thread? We don't really need any more reason to encourage lurkers to jump on guide drops.

[quote name='Doomstink']Guys, can we cut the talk of all the guide flipping in here and move it to the discussion thread? We don't really need any more reason to encourage lurkers to jump on guide drops.[/QUOTE]
:razz: Quit stealing my usual line. Although I gave up a while ago on the off topic chit chat in here.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:razz: Quit stealing my usual line. Although I gave up a while ago on the off topic chit chat in here.[/QUOTE]

It's not really that the OT discussion annoys me or anything, it's mainly the fact that once lurkers realize they can make a quick dollar on these things they'll be more inclined to snap them up when they drop. It is really better for all of us if we keep guide flipping discussion on the DL. Most people think these things are worthless.

we gotta keep this topic bumped somehow though =P sadly the days of pennied guides almost every other week are gone. heck were lucky if it happens even once a few months now.

[quote name='Doomstink']It's not really that the OT discussion annoys me or anything, it's mainly the fact that once lurkers realize they can make a quick dollar on these things they'll be more inclined to snap them up when they drop. It is really better for all of us if we keep guide flipping discussion on the DL. Most people think these things are worthless.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure people already hoard these no matter what. It doesn't make a difference to the rest of us whether people sell them or keep them in their closet.

[quote name='gauu']we gotta keep this topic bumped somehow though =P sadly the days of pennied guides almost every other week are gone. heck were lucky if it happens even once a few months now.[/QUOTE]

Why? There's no point if there's no drop.

I apologize for the "off topic" post, but this warning would likely go unheard if posted in the discussion thread. Before anyone gets too giddy over the Amazon trade-in program, check out this little tidbit I found in their terms and conditions:

Items that are materially damaged or that do not match the items on the trade-in list are not eligible for return to you, and may be disposed of by the merchant and may not be returned to you.

This means if your book is not in absolutely perfect condition, i.e. if it is "materially damaged" in any way, they don't have to pay you for it or return it to you. With this agreement, they can legally keep your book if it's damaged in any way, and then resell it anyway. It's basically a license to steal.

[quote name='Viper45']I apologize for the "off topic" post, but this warning would likely go unheard if posted in the discussion thread. Before anyone gets too giddy over the Amazon trade-in program, check out this little tidbit I found in their terms and conditions:

This means if your book is not in absolutely perfect condition, i.e. if it is "materially damaged" in any way, they don't have to pay you for it or return it to you. With this agreement, they can legally keep your book if it's damaged in any way, and then resell it anyway. It's basically a license to steal.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? I think you need to look up what the term material means. Material damage does not mean a bent corner or something. Material damage they're referring to is probably stuff like ripper covers, missing pages, ripped out pages stuff like that. I doubt Amazon wants to scam you over a $1 strategy guide. Be less paranoid please

[quote name='n00bie']Wrong.

All that proves is they got it. If they say to eBay it's torn or wrinkled or smells bad or isn't shiny enough, etc...

They will always get a refund. They will have to send the guide back to you, but eBay will refund them as soon as it shows delivered. Meaning they could put a coloring book in a box, ship it, and as soon as the UPS guy drops it off, they get their dough back.[/QUOTE]True, but there is such a low chance that the buyer will complain at all its completely worth it. Stop being so paranoid and sell on eBay / Amazon IATCG, its completely worth it and you will make a lot more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back